Shittu hopes Holloway reunion will inspire return to form

©
©

DANNY SHITTU is determined to rediscover his best form after being reunited with ex-boss Ian Holloway.

Shittu feels he has "let himself down" after struggling to reproduce his performance levels of last season.

But the defensive powerhouse hopes the motivational influence of Holloway, who managed him at QPR, will help him improve.

"When it comes to managers, Ian is one of the best I've played for," Shittu said.

"He inspired me and pushed me to be the player that I am today. He taught me a lot about things off the pitch as well, so he's been a very influential person in my life."

He added: "Compared to last season, which is only a few months ago, I have not been 100 percent happy with my form.

"Getting to the FA Cup semi-final and the way I was playing gave me a lot of confidence, but this year we've let in lot of goals – when I have been playing and when I haven't.

"Letting in one goal is bad enough for a defender's confidence, but we've had some heavy defeats and it's hard to stay positive. I'm working to improve my performances in training.

"I know I can play better than this – like I said, last season was only a few months ago, so I've got to make sure I'm fit and confident on a matchday to show what I can do.

"I have done it before and I'm comfortable playing my game in front of the Millwall fans, home and away, so I have to stay focused."

Shittu admits his storming displays last season increased the weight of expectation on his shoulders.

"Fans and managers assume you will keep it going," he added.

"I feel like I've let myself down and that just makes me want to work harder in training to get back to the levels that I know I can produce."

52 thoughts on “Shittu hopes Holloway reunion will inspire return to form

• January 16, 2014 at 10:54

DON'T WORRY "DANNY - BOY" .........WE ARE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY,
    YOU ARE PLAYING WELL, SO KEEP ON IMPROVING, AND THERE WILL BE NO
    PROBLEM AT ALL.......[ I SAW AT HUDDERSFIELD YOU'D LOST A FEW POUNDS ]
    SO ALL POINTING TO HAPPINESS !!!!!
    YOU ARE READY, IAN HOLLOWAY IS READY, THE TEAM IS READY AND LAST BUT NOT
    LEAST THE MILLWALL SUPPORTERS ARE READY.................SO LETS GO, GO, GO !!!!
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 16, 2014 at 11:05

@bermlion: Only another two stone to go then

• January 16, 2014 at 11:34

@Davey: and 2 more articles..

• January 16, 2014 at 10:57

Unleash the shittu warrior, play hard , smart and take the game on millwall boys will sing the song !!!

• January 16, 2014 at 10:58

Danny that's good to know, as I dont think we noticed it from the stands, did you ever feel that you may have also let the fans down who week in week out pay to watch you put in a below standard performance.

As far as fans and managers assume that you can keep this up, I would hope that the manager has a graeter knowledge of the game than most of us fans as he would have played it professionally, but not all of them have AVB for one. But lets hope you get your confidence back so you are able to earn the money you are now getting thanks to another 2 year deal at 33 years old.

• January 16, 2014 at 11:03

THE WHOLE SQUAD LOOKS UNFIT THAT'S THE PROBLEM..

• January 16, 2014 at 11:43

A leaner mebner morison would be equally welcoming....perhaps you mite get your wish when they return from portugal

• January 16, 2014 at 11:13

Danny lay off the pies, 110 percent from you all from the start of the season we wouldn't be in this mess, so it's time for the whole squad to give us back our football team you all need to grow some and get stuck in.

• January 16, 2014 at 11:17

Still early days but the confidence that Holloway is already bringing to the side seems infectious and in time will result in the makings of a great side. Danny is a great character and every team needs its characters. A win will be fantastic on Saturday and Ipswich got beat in the week so they will want to come bouncing back. Lets send them away empty handed.

Next week the team go to Portugal and the January window will close soon after they return hopefully Holloway will have bought in a coupke of new faces by then.

• January 16, 2014 at 11:20

Lose three stone, try to look like you have the physique of a professional footballer, up your game by 100% and you may return to the form of last season!
    Or keep the weight on and stay on the bench where this seasons form suggests you should be!
    And just because Ollie was your manager at another club, doesn't warrant getting in the team of my club, Millwall !!!!

• January 16, 2014 at 11:21

Unless it was my eyes or the orange kit he did look a lot trimmer to me on Saturday.
    Holloway's appointment can only be good for Danny's game. To be fair the whole defence has been pony this season so he is not alone in not performing.
    Get your head down and start dying for the cause again Danny and you will win most of us over again and boy do we need a leader on the pitch right now.
    Good luck.

• January 16, 2014 at 11:32

@wall2wall:
      YES, [ AT HUDDERSFIELD ] HE HAS LOST WEIGHT, I CAN DEFINATELY SAY THAT,
      I GOT RIGHT UP CLOSE TO MORISON AND HIM AT THE TOUCH - LINE, WHEN NEIL
      HARRIS CAME OVER TO GIVE 3 x OF THE PLAYERS SHIRT - TOPS TO THE FANS, AT THE
      BEGINNING OF THE GAME, WHEN THEY WERE WARMING UP.
      AND BOY, "SHITTU" HAD A GREAT GAME, SO NO COMPLAINTS FROM THE SUPPORTERS
      THAT WERE THERE IN ATTENDENCE, BECAUSE HIS "NAME" WAS BEING CHANTED ON
      SEVERAL OCCASIONS DURING THE MATCH.
      SO PLEASE, UNLESS YOU SEE THE WHOLE MATCH - LIVE...................!!!!
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 16, 2014 at 12:00

@bermlion:
        Cheers Berm. I was really surprised by his weight. Looked like he has lost the belly. He is a big unit so cannot afford to be overweight.
        Hope he continues on from Saturday.

• January 16, 2014 at 11:48

Shouldn't have to lose weight. Should have been ready in August. Let yourself down ? Christ, more like letting us down you mean. Shape up or ship out.

• January 16, 2014 at 12:21

@NICKOLA: Nickola agree totally, surely as a professional footballer, you first priority is to get as fit as you can . Signing a 2 year deal put a stop to that.

PS. Big youth game Monday night tickets a fiver, lets all go !

• January 16, 2014 at 12:17

Well for a start, we can't blame just danny shittu for our poor season so far, its the whole team, not just 1 player, yes he was a powerhouse for us last season, and hasn't been great so far, but that could be said for 95% of the squad, we need to start gettin behind our players and manager now, whatever happened,has happened, now let's move on,and stop digging players out, at least shittu has the jacobs to admit it,realise it,and is tryin to change it, COYL!!!! 1st home game sat for ollie,so let's really show him and ipswich, what were made of...

• January 16, 2014 at 12:39

@dan85 deptford millwall:
      I THINK SOME NEED TO CHECK THE TEAM SHEETS..................
      DANNY SHITTU DID NOT PLAY MANY GAME EARLIER ON UNDER STEVE LOMAS !!!!
      " NO ONE LIKES US , WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN
      PS. OR MY OTHER MATE, JACK SMITH..................... [ HA HA HA ]

• January 16, 2014 at 16:45

@bermlion: He didn't get selected because he was so unfit, total embarrassment for a professional footballer, lets hope he gets back to his best

• January 16, 2014 at 12:25

Danny yes you did let yourself down. More importantly you have let us down.THE FANS THAT PAY YOUR WAGES. You are not the only one either. Like most of us im willing to wipe the slate clean,by backing you and the boys 100%.So start paying us back starting saturday, with a proper wall performance.COYL!!!!!!

• January 16, 2014 at 14:28

We've conceded 50 goals this season, 20 at home and 30 away. Fu#king dreadful stat is that, which could bite us in the a*** if it goes down to goal difference on the final day.
    This isn't completely down to you Danny, but saying you've 'let yourself down' is an understatement!
    Last year you were playing really well and looking for a new contract. In the summer you got a new contract and the 'comfort zone' then suddenly kicked in.
    Don't say '......I want to work harder in training to get back to the levels that I know I can produce', just do it.

• January 16, 2014 at 15:49

oh danny boy the pies the pies are calling!!!

• January 16, 2014 at 18:20

@TONY BLOCK28: was you able to get a ticket for block 28 or did mfc lie & say ht was sold out

• January 17, 2014 at 10:01

@Jim28: they will only let you buy a ticket in 28 if you are a member. I've just got one for my lad with no problem this morning.

• January 16, 2014 at 16:18

Good, now get on with paying us fans back for the collective s h I t we have had to put up with so far this season. We know your all capable cause you've produced it on occasions already this season, Brighton and reading away and Leeds Blackpool and in spells against qpr and Burnley at home.
    absolute disgrace that a senior pro has to come out and admit he's let himself down thus far, one down 20
    odd to go.
    get on with what your paid to do then perhaps there may be more than the usual 9/10 k turning up.

• January 16, 2014 at 17:36

@lukesmithmfc: I think he is showing a lot of bottle and character to admit he has been below his best. I am happy to forgive him his poor performances his season if he can play as well as he did last week. A lot of it is about confidence and there clearly wasn't any with Lomas in charge. I don't care how much you get paid, you aren't going to perform to your abilities if you keep losing and your manager is clueless.

• January 16, 2014 at 18:49

@lukesmithmfc: we can play against top teams but we found it difficult to get motivated for lesser teams..we went into the matches you said thinking we would lose..we fort f*ck it lets give it a go..then shock we scored..u could ree the confidence flood back...u could still see fitnes were'nt there...where was sh4ttu when qps got there 2nd..& to rub it in he stayed on after 2 applaud the away fans

• January 16, 2014 at 22:40

@Jim28: jim we out played both brighton and reading from the word go mate probably the best football ive seen us play for over a yr the goals were no shock in those games and they were exceptionally confident.
        my gripe is that its totally unexceptable to pick and choose what game/s are going to motivate you, F u c k me if 12 f u c k I n g grand a week cant make you get out of ya pit for a couple hrs a day and to break sweat for an hr and half on saturday then f u c k off, dont want to hear excusses and
        bull s h I t to try and get me on board now a new manager has turned up.where were the apologies after birmingham leicester bournemouth ect ect. I support the club and always will do but f u c k me i make an effort to watch em and trust me the past yr has been a real effort, reckon its cost a small family holliday.
        Confidence my a***, get a real job danny boy then I might sympathise with ya
        Danny Shittu, thats what we do. Haha how fitting.

• January 16, 2014 at 23:48

@lukesmithmfc: playing a game of football is fun...& to be a professional football must be in book the best job in the world...i would love to be able to do that...so when i hear about the pressure their under..it makes my f****** blood boil

• January 16, 2014 at 16:19

Most of the squad must feel the same everybody needs to improve their fitness levels. Also a change in attitude is needed,I think quite a few have let themselves and the fans down this season. Now is the time to put things right.

• January 16, 2014 at 18:12

Shittu's comments are an actual disgrace. He, like a lot in this current squad, have been cheating the fans. Your confidence may be shot to pieces as a player, you may hate the manager, your form may be down the toilet.... but there is absolutely no bleedin excuse for not being fit. This is why Holloway needs to out half this squad. I don;t care what they thought of Lomas .... it is the fans and the shirt they have been letting down.

• January 16, 2014 at 19:20

@Eddie Grace: lets face it as a senior member at this we expect a load much fr6 him..the fact he's lost sum pounds ir down to sacking thing...he probably started to get fit a day later.cos he didn't lose that wreight in a week..also noticed it took him to the paragraph to mention us

• January 16, 2014 at 20:39

"He inspired me and pushed me to be the player that I am today" is that supposed to be a positive endorsement for IH??? Hmmmmmmmm

• January 16, 2014 at 21:16

Well apparently holloway has said 9 players are unplayable due to body fat percentages so thats you out for the season danny

• January 16, 2014 at 21:42

I said this on a post after the Bournemouth game, one of their players has a dad who played for fisher and he told his dad that the Millwall players were blowing out of their arses after 20 minutes, and we were 2 up at the time,surprisingly using a morbidly obese fitness trainer seems to have failed but the players have a responsibility surely ? So let them all start again with a clean sheet and hope we can have a run and finish a comfortable 4th bottom ,3 points Saturday will be a nice start .

• January 16, 2014 at 22:20

Listened to Holloway on Lions Player tonight, I don't think we need worry he knows exactly what he wants and where he is going. He is taking the team to Portugal to take them through a fitness regime andtraining sessions. They will return a better squad. He say's the side needs balance which he will bring and will only sign players that will play to his plan. He will protect his players especially the younger ones. I think we should stop bad mouthing certain players now and get behind the whole team. Holloway will sort them out in a positive way and for the better of Millwall. I doubted Holloway at the start but retract my views having heard what he wants to do. He may turn out to be one of the club's greatest managers. Let's unite and get behind him and the club.

• January 16, 2014 at 23:09

@Peckhamlad: peckham i agree with you,but i will never forgive danny shittue no matter what,so please read my post which follow's a few post's after this one.

• January 16, 2014 at 22:37

Sorry if this has been posted already. I just noticed Brighton have triggered Lewis Grabban's buy out clause of a whopping 1.1M.

The world has gone mad.

• January 17, 2014 at 08:30

@JonnyBanks: Insane. Sure they didn't mean £1.10p. If he is worth a million then I'm in Messi territory, 55 yrs old with dodgy knees!!!!!

• January 16, 2014 at 22:45

shittu had to be the first player to come out and talk b*******, so he had to wait for Holloway to come before he started losing some pounds, then suck up to him. pull yourself together and grow a pair.

• January 16, 2014 at 22:50

@block 28: pulled porked himself together and ate a pear.

• January 16, 2014 at 23:00

@block 28: The fact is that Danny may get back to the player he was and if anyone can do it Holloway can. Let's start supporting our players team and club and stop the sniping.

• January 16, 2014 at 23:39

Peckhamlad; don't get me wrong I would lov to see him back to the form he showed last season but he has wasted half the season getting fit and paid at the same time while we had to stand there and watch week in week out, it just proves wot he really thinks of us.

• January 17, 2014 at 00:32

@block 28: i want to know how is it that 9 profesional players can be unfit i..iwe are halfway through a poxy season..if they felt they was not fit ..nothing stopping staying behind & do extra training

• January 16, 2014 at 22:57

The past won't change but the future can and will, in this day and age of big bucks , media exposure fast life fast food etc etc blokes lose their way and get ahead of themselves a bit. Holloway knows, he,d be a shrewd wise campaigner who will set the path . If the boys are smart they'll quickly realise that they will end up playin in shitsville if they don't get on board. I'm excited, I've seen gd groups of blokes assemble before who fight for each other and are on a mission, they become hard to stop after a while. "Ntx stop south bermondsey", get on!!!!

• January 16, 2014 at 23:02

I am sorry danny i have no respect for you,all of a sudden you feel you can play for IH, well now, you were given a two year contract and you then came into this season over wieght and unfit,which i thought was very unprofesional ,i don,t think you gave your all under lomas,in not doing so you did not give your all for me and my club,that club being millwall.
    Danny Millwall is part of my life,it is not the the most important part of my life i will admit [my family is].
    So please do not insult my intelligence by saying your old manager has reignited your desire to play for millwall. you should have been giving your all any way as i and many other fan's have been paying your wage's before IH came to our club.
    The quicker we find a replacement for you, and the quicker you are out the better it will be as far as i am concerned.
    I realize money is tight and you may well have to stay,if so all i ask is you earn your wage's and do your best for MFC,because IH need's all the help he can get to get us out of the mess you helped get us into..

• January 17, 2014 at 20:52

@jim1222: And just remember Danny no one made you sign that contract it was your choice, if you couldn't be arsed to play for us you should have done the decent thing and walked.

• January 16, 2014 at 23:21

So excited

I say just as the let um come song finishes, we should all sing from block16 Ian we love u Ian we care Ian, lomas is p**** let me at him I dare.
    No jokes all vote yes or no depending on the outcome I will put my mobile number out here.

Ps this is message is for the coming Saturday providing I beat 51 likes

• January 17, 2014 at 00:06

McCarthy your a c"nt McCarthy your a c"nt McCarthy your a c"nt sold Paul Stephenson the decide you want wingers. P**** along with selling john mcginley

• January 17, 2014 at 10:56

@mfcmike: get your coat mike

• January 17, 2014 at 02:27

You ugly f****** all asleep ?? Not the women of course!!