Holloway: Millwall have too many chiefs, not enough Indians

© Focus Images
© Focus Images

IAN Holloway believes there are too many senior professionals at Millwall.

The new Lions boss is unsure whether he will have to "prune" his squad during the January transfer window, but admits he needs to strike a balance between youth and experience.

"I've got to unite us and join everybody together," he said. "As long as they work as hard all Millwall sides should do, the fans won't turn on them – it's as simple as that.

"At the minute there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians. We've got lots of senior professionals and I've got to clear their minds.

"I've already told them that I cannot pick them all in the same team – so stop moaning, sit on the side, be happy when you come on and do what you can to help me."

Holloway believes he is qualified to repair any divisions in the Millwall dressing room.

He said: "My reputation goes way before me now because of all the players I have worked with in the past.

"They all know I'll tell them the truth and help them get a move if I cannot give them what they want here. That senior group is something that I can't wait to work with.

"I might have to prune it but I don't know for sure. It's all about the balance between senior players and young players, experienced players and inexperienced players."

The Lions face Huddersfield Town on Saturday in Holloway's first game in charge, and the 50-year-old has revealed he has already picked his starting XI.

"This group isn't a group yet, but they are learning how to be one, and I've started with a bit of honesty," he said. "I told them, 'that's the team, that's what we're going to do and here we go', and they were all shocked.

"'I ain't picking you son because I want him to do that, you're good but I want him to do this, so sit there, be nice and be chuffed, because it's a bloody privilege to be here. End of.'

"It is a privilege. How many people would have applied for this job? I bet the queue would have been out of the door.

"I watched the Southend game and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be. In a funny way, it did me the biggest favour ever because the chairman was at that game and he felt he really had to do something decisive, which turned out to be fantastic news for me."

Holloway says he has made two changes to the side beaten 4-1 by Southend.

"Those changes are based on what Huddersfield will be doing and what I saw watching the Southend game on the DVD," he said.

"One change is enforced. The lad I have changed is really unlucky and I've already spoken to him about it. I feel we're going to need to do certain things to counteract Huddersfield.

"It is impossible for me to fairly pick a team right now. I will assess things this weekend and we'll play our own U21s next week in training so I can watch all of the players. It's more about giving the lads standards and see how they respond."

16 thoughts on “Holloway: Millwall have too many chiefs, not enough Indians

• January 9, 2014 at 23:06

He has only been at the club for 2 days and i already worship him.

• January 9, 2014 at 23:17

All those senior players, and it sounds like Holloway's entrance is the first time this season anyone has shown leadership.

• January 10, 2014 at 09:44

@jamie:
      YES, THE INJURED IN TRAINING REALLY "BAFFLES" ME...............
      SO WE NEED TO GET THAT SORTED, WHY IN TRAINING DO YOU
      GO IN SO HARD THAT YOU HURT YOUR FELLOW PLAYERS ???
      [ OR YOURSELVES.......... ]
      TELL YOU WHAT !! I KNOW ONE "SENIOR PLAYER" WHO IS DEFINATELY
      IN "OLLIES" TEAM.....................[ CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM AT HUDDERSFIELD
      TOWN TOMORROW ].
      FINNALLY, I ALSO HEARD THE VOICE INTERVIEW [ LIKE MOST OF US DID ] .
      IT WAS VERY GOOD !!! , BUT NOTHING LARGE ABOUT IAN HOLLOWAY NOSE,
      I'VE SEEN LARGER AND LONGER ONES , NEARLY AS LONG AS "PINNOCHIOOS"
      [ DON'T THINK I SPELT THAT NAME CORRECT.................NEVER MIND ! ]

" NO ONE LIKES US , WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN........................................NEVER LIES !!! [ WELL NEARLY NEVER ]

• January 9, 2014 at 23:39

Totally agree jake,like wot I'm hearing froM Ollie ,Laying the law down to them straight away,not taking no nonsense ,this is wot the team have been crying out for,might take a few weeks but sure holloway will turn us around ,good luck from us fans ,good times ahead millllllllllll

• January 9, 2014 at 23:44

The fact that he has already chosen Saturday's team speaks volumes, Lomas would not have done that, although to be fair he had injuries to contend with at the last minute. I wonder if the "injured in training" list will decline now? looking forward to the team sheet for Saturday.

• January 9, 2014 at 23:54

U21s to win that match?

• January 10, 2014 at 00:49

right behind ya ollie . you've got my support over any one of those players mate ! let the a*** kicking commence .

• January 10, 2014 at 01:06

He could send all the surplus seniors to Upton Park, they will enjoy watching their own turn out in that area.

• January 10, 2014 at 10:13

That's superb haha he will sort that dressing room out im sure of it.

COYL!

• January 10, 2014 at 11:53

@mfc1rob: Thats what I like, no room for discussion, if you want to stay here this is how it is.

• January 10, 2014 at 13:25

Haha, was going to copy and paste the same comment.

Don't want to jump the gun but I f**king love this guy already!! Exactly what some of these players need at this time, a kick up the ar*e and a no nonsense straight taliking manager. I'm actually going to attend my first home game since Yeovil on the back of his appointment alone. Let's hope a few more return.

• January 10, 2014 at 10:47

Ian holloway is brilliant, reckon he has a career as a stand up comedian when he gives up on football, his one liners are brilliant! Love him already and he's not even been in charge for a game yet!!

• January 10, 2014 at 11:51

Hallelujah, the messiah has arrived ⚽️

• January 10, 2014 at 11:54

@jdt1885: Yes, hope nobody crucifies him.

• January 11, 2014 at 13:44

Sounds like he's having no nonsense from any sulkers out there. Do as your told when you're told or , p*** off ! the choice is theirs