Striker Keogh admits he faces uncertain future at Millwall

©
©

ANDY Keogh admits he faces an uncertain future at Millwall.

Keogh, whose contract at The Den expires next summer, has not started a game for the Lions in over three months.

Having been left out of Steve Lomas' squad altogether for most of October and November, the striker has returned to the fold in recent weeks – making four sub appearances.

But the 27-year-old admits he may have to leave the club for the sake of his career – and his family – with Millwall yet to offer him an extension to his current deal.

"I don't know what is going to happen," said Keogh. "I don't know what options are going to be out there or what Millwall's plans will be for me.

"But I have to be open about things because my family and I need to stabilise and we need to know where we are going to be based over the next few years. With my contract coming to an end all of these things have to be taken into consideration.

"My main focus is to be prepared for whatever comes my way – be that at Millwall or elsewhere – and that I am in the right condition and my fitness levels are high. If I need to find a new club, I have faith in my agent because he always produces for me."

Championship promotion-chasers Burnley wanted to sign Keogh on loan last month but the Lions knocked them back in fear of leaving themselves short of cover.

At the time, that decision left the Republic of Ireland international feeling frustrated.

"I had been sitting in the stands for the best part of two months and it's only natural for a footballer to want to play," Keogh said. "The opportunity to join a club at the top of the table was there but I'm contracted to Millwall and they decide what to do with me.

"With a busy Christmas period coming up, they felt it wouldn't benefit the club if I left so I've accepted that and continued to work hard in training.

"But we can't hide away from the fact that, if other players hadn't got injured and Martyn Waghorn's loan spell wasn't coming to an end, they might have allowed me to go. I've got to be realistic and accept where I stand with the club at present."

Despite his lack of game time this season, Keogh has not ruled out the possibility of staying in south London beyond the end of the season.

"I am open to what's ahead, I'm feeling optimistic about the future and I haven't dismissed anything," he added. "I've enjoyed my time here – the lads and the club have been great.

"I have been working hard in training, head down and trying to crack on with things really. It's been nice to be more involved in the last couple of games. The more minutes I get, the better I will play.

"My confidence is high and I'm still the same player that signed for the club two years ago. Sometimes you just need a run of games. Even when you have a bad game, getting another chance to go again – a bit of faith – goes a long way."

Lomas has praised Keogh's work ethic and insists the former Wolves frontman will have a crucial role to play in the weeks ahead.

"I am sure Andy wants to play more but I have been pleased with his attitude in training," said the Lions boss. "He is certainly doing all of the right things in terms of getting a start.

"Obviously with this busy period coming up, it's very important that everyone contributes and plays a part."

19 thoughts on “Striker Keogh admits he faces uncertain future at Millwall

• December 19, 2013 at 09:19

Never been a big fan, gets musseled off the ball too much and is light weight, if you dont like it at SE16 get paid by someone else Andy. Not enough threat up front from him and I know SL recently has been bringing him on as a type of impact player but that he is not.Not fast enough, not the best in the air either.

So make your mind up if you are off adios and lets free up money for someone who wants to play for Millwall, and hopefully help in moving us up the table, I know that Andy says he has not ruled staying at the club, but only Burnley came in for him on a short loan, and would he get in there first 11 I doubt it. The only reason he as not ruled out staying at Millwall is no one is in for him.

If you are going to stay keep your thoughts to yourself and work hard and turn ours and your fortunes around a.s.a.p.

• December 19, 2013 at 10:16

For what ever reason Andy is not the player he was. It is no good saying how hard someone works on the training ground, if when they get the chance to play, as Andy has, he does not produce the goods. Yes he was only a sub, but those opportunities are when you have to prove yourself. Strange that Sean Dyche still sees something in him, enough to take him on loan. Rumours from other sites suggest that Andy is not happy with the way SL does things. As it looks like SL is not going anywhere maybe Andy would do better elsewhere.

• December 19, 2013 at 11:47

With all the talk of 'stale' players not so long ago I certainly reckon he's one player on that list.We probably do need to move him on to be fair but that being said he hadn't really had a little run in the team and given a fair chance.No doubt about it,wherever he'll go and gets a run of games he'll come good as he has quality there.But rumour has it he has been one of the more distributive players under Lomas you only need to see his tweets about Trappatoni when he was left out of the Ireland squad,we don't need players like that here at Millwall.

• December 19, 2013 at 12:02

A player who in my opinion thinks that he is better than he actually is.
    I cannot remember the last time I saw him have a good game.
    I would let him go today and get a fresh face in.

• December 19, 2013 at 12:16

@wall2wall: wal2wal could not agree more and more to the point than my 3 paragraph rant well done.

• December 19, 2013 at 12:21

@wall2wall: I agree - Keogh thinks he's a world beater - still getting by on his scoring record at Scunthorpe - since he was sold he's never scored on a regular basis and he's constantly stropping! Look at his twitter account when he wasnt in the ireland squad a while back he was on there slating G.Trap! - childish!

• December 19, 2013 at 13:58

@wall2wall:
      IF YOU DON'T WANNA PLAY FOR MILLWALL AND GIVE IT YOU ALL..............
      GET OUT NOW !!!!
      WE WANT FAITHFULLY TRUE PLAYERS WHO WANT TO PLAY FOR THEIR KEEP.

" NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      THE STORM

• December 19, 2013 at 12:10

Why would Burnley want him, am I missing something?

• December 19, 2013 at 12:12

@Dazi: To do the same role he is doing at the moment.... benchwarming!

• December 19, 2013 at 12:13

Andy, if you don't like being part of the team/squad then leave! If you are up for a fight to win your place back, then please stay and prove yourself.... simple

• December 19, 2013 at 13:11

Keogh isn't even good enough to be on the bench. What worries me though is that I don't think Waghorn will sign permanently for us in January. Lomas will need to sign other strikers because both Keogh and Easter will be out of contract in the Summer and Morison will have returned to Leeds. That will leave McDonald as the only permanent striker in the squad and he seems to be out of favour with Lomas at the moment. OH, I KNOW THE ANSWER, SIGN MORE CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS!!!

• December 19, 2013 at 13:24

There seems to be far too many individual ego players in the squad and not enough TEAM players who have the hunger and desire to win games for the team and play for each other. It’s such a stark contrast to the application and attitude of the squad we had in our playoff and promotion seasons of 2008/2009 & 2009/2010.

The majority of that squad came into the championship and on sheer will and determination to want to win and do well for one another we ended up just missing out on the Championship play-offs. Also draws similarities of the team we had when we won the League One title in 2000/2001 season and then the following season we stormed into the Championship playoffs only with the odd extra few key additions to really go for it (Dion Dublin being a decent bit of business at the time to partner Claridge).

We do well not to underestimate a solid small close knit team of hungry young players as oppose to what we got now - a bloated squad of experienced players who all seem to not care and are looking for their agents to make sounds for them so they can leave club quietly out the back door.

• December 19, 2013 at 13:36

@Bexley_Lion: Absolutely spot on, I couldn't agree more! The one thing which concerns me is the pressure of being a manager nowadays leads to managers wanted tried and trusted players rather than being allowed to bring in youngsters from the youth set up.

I can remember those seasons as if it was yesterday, our youth set up was very good back and so was our 1st 11... Reid, Cahill, Lucas Neil, Sean Dyche, Bircham, Livermore, Warner, Ifill, Lawrence, Nethercott... some or most of these players we had from a young age and gave them their chance to shine which we should do with our current crop of youngsters, but we as fans demand results so if they put in a bad display's which cost us the game we will either slate the youngster or have a go at the manager for playing them in the 1st place.... can't win!

• December 19, 2013 at 13:52

@Bradders: And don't forget an in-form Harris at the absolute peak of his goal scoring prowess that even attracted Spurs attention, Willy Guret a fantastic back-up goalie, at times looked better than Warner! then there was the elusive Christophe Kinet who could curl a ball into impossible angles (even if he didn't mean too) a real trier in Robbie Ryan and what he lacked in skill he made up for in determination (Bit like Tony Craig and Andy Frampton both did) and the experience of the old warhorse Paul Moody partnering Harris upfront just before we brought in Claridge. Wow what a team that was!

We desperately need a defensive coach right now and put the youngsters in for the CB positions. I dont rate Robinson and Shittu this season. Beevers is not bad and is adequate on the bench as is Lowry who can double up for LB and CB. Need a clear out of players though. Think Jackett saw that coming prior to him just leaving really. Spoke of players or things had 'gone stale' and this is the fallout of that.

• December 19, 2013 at 14:35

As big a wet lettuce as I've ever seen down the den.

• December 19, 2013 at 14:44

Keogh's a very good player that's lost it. It happens.

Lomas never had it and I wish he'd had it as our manager.

Santa leave him the sack

• December 19, 2013 at 18:23

Perhaps he's just a bad player that had 6 good months Wolves fans booed him out of the club.

• December 19, 2013 at 18:51

Was really a play maker but time for him to go.

• December 19, 2013 at 22:04

I must agree with all the comments regarding andy Keogh I felt there was always an anti climax when he got the ball.all jokes aside check out his wifes physique if I had one at home like that I make out I was injuredall the time.,