Winger aims to be one of first names on Millwall teamsheet

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MARTYN Woolford wants to establish himself as one of the first names on Steve Lomas' teamsheet after breaking into the Millwall side this season.

The winger, 28, made a disjointed start to his career at The Den last term, making mostly substitute appearances under Kenny Jackett following his January move from Bristol City.

But Woolford has been a revelation this season and is currently the club's joint-top scorer in all competitions with four goals.

And he now plans to cement his place in the Lions XI for the long term.

"I am working hard to get better and better and ensure that I am one of the first names on the teamsheet," he said.

"I've set myself a target of scoring ten goals this season and I think that is still achievable.

"Hopefully I have showed so far to the manager and fans that I am worthy of the shirt and I am determined to keep improving."

Woolford's form dipped in November but was thrilled that Lomas kept him in the side.

"I was over the moon with the manager's faith in me," he added. "I knew that my form had tailed off – I'll be the first to admit it – but you're going to get that during a season.

"I've found with previous managers that they tend to lose faith in me pretty quickly. The manager sticking with me, even though I hadn't been as good, has given me a big boost."

57 thoughts on “Winger aims to be one of first names on Millwall teamsheet

• December 17, 2013 at 12:09

Probably been one of our better players this season, so well done and keep going!

• December 17, 2013 at 13:47

@dpendet:
      YES, KEEP GOING...............................
      NOW MAY I TAKE THIS MOMENT OF YOUR TIME TO WISH...............
      dpender, Windsor lion, Steveomfc 5, Real Supporter, Syd the Lion, Roders,
      Beedoscores, Sups 8892, Omer Ronayne, CBL 59, The bermondseybomber, Block 28, Block 8,
      Millwallbuilder,Steve, Glyngo, Benzo, Bonnie1272, Kempo123, BarnLion, Junkmale,The Wall,
      Diggerwall,Peckham Lad,Wonkythicklips, Conor,Sidcup Lad, The Columbus block, Poyyt1, Chosen1,
      Julian1, Timeschimes,Lukesmithmfc,Zampangry, Wongo, aeojt, JonnyBanks , Tallchap18,Wall2wall,
      Bradders, 333lions,Dave263,AlanF, Peter2545,Millwallgracie98, Mickylion, Woolwichlion,
      Harrythelion,Southstand,William250577, Lincolnshire lion,NICKOLA, Fingers and NOT FORGETTING
      LAST BUT NOT LEAST "OLD LES"...................
      HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL , HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME !!!!

" NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN AND SUE..........................

PS. SORRY TO ANYBODY I HAVE NOT MENTIONED, BUT YOU ARE ALSO SENT GOOD WISHES..........
      ALONG WITH THE MILLWALL PLAYERS AND STAFF.

• December 17, 2013 at 14:03

@bermlion: Thanks. You too mate and your family. Onwards and upwards COYL.

• December 17, 2013 at 16:53

Cheers hav a good one. Shame our other wingers couldn't match your workrate

• December 17, 2013 at 14:07

@bermlion: MANY THANKS BERM. SAME TO YOU AND YOURS.

• December 17, 2013 at 14:16

@bermlion:
        And to you and yours sir !

• December 17, 2013 at 15:16

@bermlion: All the best Berm (or should I say Santa) lets hope we ALL have a great Christmas and New Year.
        Block 8, I hope all goes well with your son.

• December 17, 2013 at 16:32

@REAL Supporter:
          you've got a wonderful memory , thank you. he got an all clear late last month. follow ups and blood tests next year but so far , so good. all the early signs are fantastic , exactly to plan.
          hopefully it's all a bad memory.
          Thanks again

• December 17, 2013 at 16:38

@Block 8: Great news Block 8. Have a fantastic Christmas.

• December 17, 2013 at 15:32

@bermlion: thanks very much - have a great one yourself!

• December 17, 2013 at 15:47

@bermlion: have a good one mate ! And all the other regular contributors.

• December 17, 2013 at 15:49

@bermlion: Thank you and Happy Christmas to you too.

• December 17, 2013 at 16:43

@bermlion: And to you and yours.

• December 17, 2013 at 17:02

@bermlion: Thanks and the same to you too.

• December 17, 2013 at 18:00

@bermlion: thanks Berm and may I offer best wishes to you, Sue and your family.

All the best regular posters, keep the arguments coming!

• December 17, 2013 at 18:44

@bermlion: And to you. Have a good one and here's looking forward to another great year of commenting on this site.

• December 17, 2013 at 19:22

@bermlion: your lege berm
        Wish you and yours all the best
        Av a good un.

• December 17, 2013 at 21:32

@bermlion: thank you berm may all us lions fans everywhere be full of merriment with wins against,boro,watford,doncaster, and Leicester.

• December 17, 2013 at 23:32

@bermlion: cheers Bermlion, seasons greetings and all the best for 2014.

• December 18, 2013 at 08:37

@bermlion: Very kind. Thankyou and Merry Xmas to you and your family and I hope you have a great 2014. Cheers.

• December 18, 2013 at 20:46

@bermlion@bermlion: And a merry Christmas to you and your family and a happy new year

• December 17, 2013 at 12:09

Good attitude Wooly.

• December 17, 2013 at 12:17

good outlook to have wooly! f****** worrying you're our joint top scorer with 4 tbh . but we have goals all over the pitch as it's been proved in recent weeks , shame we concede more than we score every week.

• December 17, 2013 at 12:21

Definitely agree with this. I’ll hold my hands up and say I would not have been sorry to see him go before the start of this season but blimey, what a turn-around. He’s certainly been one of the better players.

Great picture by the way.

• December 17, 2013 at 12:57

@REAL Supporter: Same here. He would of definitely been the first player I would of got rid off come the end of last season, but has really up'd his game this season.
      I'm a big believer in, if you put in the hard work, you get results, something I wish our defence would do!

• December 17, 2013 at 12:27

Can you play center back?

• December 17, 2013 at 12:49

If he could toughen up he would massively improve. Best option we have at the moment and at least he wants to play for the club.................Morison, Feeney, take note.

• December 17, 2013 at 12:51

Turn it on Saturday, I am taking my son and ten of his mates for the game for his birthday, most of them wall fans, so make it one to remember FOR F**** SAKE.

• December 17, 2013 at 13:14

@beedoscores:
      WELL DONE !!! AND WELL DONE MILLWALLl FC FOR BRINGING DOWN THE PRICE
      FOR THIS MATCH, EXTRA PEOPLE AND CHILDREN WILL ONLY HELP GET MORE
      PEOPLE "HOOKED" ...AS WE WERE MANY MOONS AGO.................

" NO ONE LIKLES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      A HAPPY STORMIN' NORMAN

• December 17, 2013 at 12:52

South London Press says a fee has been agreed for James Henry, and money can be spent eslewhere. Any ideas ?

• December 17, 2013 at 13:23

@sups8892: Wouldnt get too excited - wont be much of a fee! out of contract end of June and they could have him for free then so it will be a pittance!

• December 17, 2013 at 14:20

@sups8892:
      We need a Centre back. Easier said than done , cos in Millwall style we get a has been with a reputation or one for the future, it's a tough one to get right.

• December 17, 2013 at 18:03

@sups8892: original fee of 250k was banded around when he went out on loan. Wouldn't expect too
      Much more.

• December 17, 2013 at 13:08

Doesn't same apply to Jermaine Easter? Surely he has earnt a starting place having scored 3 in 4 games.

• December 17, 2013 at 18:53

@Peckhamlad: Hey PL, I'm beginning to suspect that you are Jermaine Easter! (-:~

• December 17, 2013 at 19:13

@lion.ie: We got some good forwards no doubt but give the guy some due he always does his best to get on the score sheet or assist.
        I am more concerend about our leaky defence where there are no signs of change. Will SL be playing the same back four this week? Heaven help us.

• December 17, 2013 at 22:18

@Peckhamlad: As I said the other day he probably deserves a start at the moment, especially now that Waghorn has gone. As for the goals, it's not all about the defence, the midfield need to take some responsibility as well but our defenders seem to have lost the ability to compete at set pieces and look like they are wearing lead boots at times.

• December 17, 2013 at 13:26

He's mustard.

• December 17, 2013 at 13:39

Woolford has been a threat at times but does he contribute enough during a game?

I'm not so sure.

• December 17, 2013 at 14:28

@Millwallsteve: Yep, I'd agree with that. Although he has improved 100% from last season, he does sometimes get lost during a game. Not just Woolford, but a lot of our team get pushed of the ball to easily at times as well. Really fu#ks me off when I see teams come to the den and bully us on the pitch.

• December 17, 2013 at 16:36

@Millwallsteve: not a fan at first, but he puts a shift in.... Only midfielder for Millwall to win a header this season. Come alive with real quality this season. Few goals in him too..

• December 17, 2013 at 14:37

First I would like to thank bermlion for his greetings and wish him and his a wonderful time at Christmas (Millwall can help with this), but I would also slightly disagree with some of you regarding Woolford and others in the side.

The main problem as I see it is that there are not enough players who have a consistant run both in the side coupled with good games "but these go together" if we could get 5 or 6 of them especially down the spine of the side we could be in an half decent position by now.

I as some of you may know am not a big fan of the manager but I dont see the club changing him during the season, and like last year I think we can just scrape in to stay in the division because there are 4 teams worse than Millwall, Saturday will be a test with boro having a new man in charge but lets hope even if we dont win we can at least keep a clean sheet, cos 40 goals against after 20 games is relagation form. COYL!!!!!

• December 17, 2013 at 18:07

@Barnlion: I agree with you. I can't see JB getting rid of lomas just yet. I think in this day and age, keeping him shows massive loyalty from JB and that should be commended.

Hopefully Lomas has learnt from the last twenty games and can turn things around sooner rather than later.

Although I am not a fan, I wish him all the best in his attempts.

• December 17, 2013 at 18:50

@bonnie1272: Agree with all you say Bonnie but I hope it's loyalty for the right reasons and not to save face.

• December 18, 2013 at 09:47

@lion.ie: @lion.ie: I agree with both of you lads, and I hope he succeeds because he and JB have the future of OUR CLUB in there hands, but if he cant stop the rot then JB has to make the decision when to cut our losses.

But he can start to turn it around on Saturday, I dare say there will be some changes in defence after Saturdays Christmas sprit starting before the 25th but the first thing is a clean sheet, cos the goals against is a complete joke.

• December 17, 2013 at 17:10

@sups8892:
    James Henry is going for £250k. I think an established centre back is needed with that!

• December 17, 2013 at 18:50

@MillwallLad123:
      I don't think we're going to get much of a defender for £250k unless we can pick one up in a similar contractual position as Henry. A loan is probably the best option until we can offload some players in the summer and use the savings to buy someone in - preferably two centre halves if Lomas persists in ignoring Lowry at CB. Actually, my preference would be one centre half, keep Lowry and get a different manager.

• December 17, 2013 at 18:28

Get in St Ledger quick!!!

• December 17, 2013 at 18:48

A lot of ordinary people do jobs that they hate because the money is good/sufficient whereas you, Martyn, get to do a job you love, get well paid for it and receive adulation from thousands when things go well.
    I'm not saying you don't deserve it, but you shouldn't expect kudos just for having the right attitude!
    Three points on Saturday from you and your hard working colleagues is all we want for Xmas.

• December 17, 2013 at 19:47

Merry xmas one and all.
    Woolford ? one of the worst players i'd seen for a long time - last sason due to KJs demands.
    What a turn around this season due to SLs demands.
    I was not a fan but as i did with dunney i will hold my hands up and give credit where credit is due.
    Well done martin keep up the hard work.

James henry must be worth 150/200 k at least
    But i think unless we sell someone else i think we'll struggle to get a decent championship class defender.

Good news block 8. You can now Sleep easy mate.

• December 17, 2013 at 20:46

What's everyone else's thoughts on calling back Jake Goodman back from loan at Aldershot and giving him a go at centre back he's doing a good job there and he's one of our own and won't cost us the earth ?

• December 18, 2013 at 07:34

@millwallpete: if he is ready then go for it I say, but he is young and playing in a struggling side will be a real test of character for him.

• December 17, 2013 at 21:19

may I take this opportunity to wish all millwall fans and their families warm regards this time of the year.where woolford is concerned I still have memories of him against us in the play off final.he is a match winner.and has put in a good account of what he can do so far.

• December 17, 2013 at 22:01

There has been no mention of Trotter signing a new contract so I suspect he will also be sold in January rather than be allowed to leave for free in the Summer. Lowry and Keogh are out of contract in the Summer as well so it is possible other clubs might come in for them. With other players loan periods expiring and Connolly out of contract the squad could be completely different by the end of the January Transfer Window. I hope Lomas signs permanent replacements though rather than more loan signings.

• December 17, 2013 at 22:52

@denslions: This worries me more than our current position Dens, where will we be in a years or two years time squad wise? We have nobody we can sell for good money, we have a squad mostly on the wrong side of 27 years old and no youngsters ready, it seems, to be blooded in the first team.
      Lomas' next signings will be very interesting. Harry Maguire from Sheff. Utd would be more than a good start if we could outbid Chelsea and Man Utd (-:~

• December 19, 2013 at 00:05

@glyngo
    We have no extra money and some of these youngsters deserve a chance and I have seen too many pass through our youth system without being given a fair chance to prove themselves .Surely one youth player can be given a chance rather than keep loaning mainly players that other clubs just want to offload.Whats your thoughts?