I will not shy away from challenge at Millwall, insists Lomas

©
©

STEVE Lomas will not shy away from the challenge of turning Millwall's season around after overseeing just one win in his side's last eight matches.

The Lions boss knows he is under increasing pressure to produce better performances and results but hopes supporters will recognise that this is a year of "transition" at the club.

However, he accepts that Millwall's recent form leaves him open to criticism.

And the recent managerial departures at Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley have left Lomas under no illusions as to the cut-throat nature of the division.

"That's the life of a manager," he said. "But the margins are tight – we'd have gone up five places in the table had we won on Tuesday – so it takes a brave chairman to hold his nerve.

"You are always going to get moans and groans after a defeat. I was as disappointed as the fans were with the result and performance against Leicester last Saturday.

"But I think lexapro get high that the majority of the fans understand the situation and recognise just how competitive the Championship is.

"This is a transitional season so it would be a tough job for any manager, and who's to say it wouldn't be just as tough for Kenny Jackett were he still here?

"I am still buzzing to be at the club – make no mistake about it. I came here knowing it was a big challenge so I haven't shied away from that and I won't do.

"My sole aim is to please the fans and get job satisfaction by winning games for them. I appreciate we have got to take the stick when we lose, but equally there has to be a realism about where we are at the moment.

"So many clubs in this division were in the Premier League not too long ago – it's probably the most competitive the Championship has been for many a year."

24 thoughts on “I will not shy away from challenge at Millwall, insists Lomas

• December 6, 2013 at 10:54

We as fans can get carried away at times with ambition. No doubt that 4 wins in 18 is a shocker. The way I look at this season is a progression season, but also a season where we can't get relegated. And at the moment it's going one way, how long do you give him? I personally see it as if we are still in this position come mid January then something has to change. I still think he can take us forward but he has a long way to go but can we afford that time?

As for results everyone claiming that 6 unbeaten at home is positive but we can't keep drawing against the 'big teams'. Two goals against QPR, Forrest, Burnley is a good return but two against isn't!

And to all the hate Lomas is getting... I see it and get it but as long as we give it our all and it's clear to see like on Tuesday night then keep with the team!

COYL!

• December 6, 2013 at 11:00

I think the real problem is that whilst everyone knows that we have a very good squad, we have a manager who lacks experience at this level. It's all well and good saying give it time but that's something we don't have. The bottom three have improved and it won't be long before we're under them. Quotes that we could have moved up 5 places with a win on Tuesday are valid but the problem is we didn't.@Omer Ronayne:

• December 6, 2013 at 11:11

@NICKOLA: I get it, I really do. It's clear that what Lomas was trying to do with the formation and stuff happened way too soon and he committed to it too early. But I just feel that fans ain't helping the situation half the time, people have a right to feel anger. I did too sitting at the Leicester game thinking to myself why I was bloody there, and god knows why I just bought my ticket for Blackburn away on Tuesday. See I can take a beating if we deserved it but we gave it our all but were just deservedly outclassed. But watching that Leicester game and seeing no fight just makes us wonder what is going on. I don't think Lomas has lost the dressing room as everyone is saying. Every player can get upset at not playing, at least they ain't sitting there taking their pay on a monthly basis!

The facts are we are a small club in this division with a decent bunch of players, but the main fact for me and what should apply to all fans is I love this club, and no matter what situation I'll continue to work all week and raise my money to follow our wall. And with fans saying they wont go because of this or because of that.. Then you can go join the trainspotters or the 'ultras' down the road. But my love for wall wont change based on us yo-yo-ing between the championship and league one. It's nothing new to me..

• December 6, 2013 at 11:22

@NICKOLA:

So what do you think the manager could have done differently on tuesday night against forest? He got the tactics and the team selection right as far as I was concerned. Moro played a blinder, we scored two great goals, but ultimately we conceded two to a forest team with quality players who are up the top end of the table for a reason. Losing to Yeovil on the first day of the season, and losing by such heavy margins away from home have been a kick in the balls, but honestly, I don't see how joining in on the constant manager merry-go-round is better than where we're at.

• December 6, 2013 at 11:36

Differently on Tuesday night ? Not much. But that's not the point. If we'd been playing a 442 system for a few weeks I think we'd be mid-table by now..@tomahawk:

• December 6, 2013 at 11:43

@NICKOLA: Hindsight is a wonderful thing Nickola!!

If this... if that.... what if, all in the past can't change it now but if 442 works for us in the future great!

• December 6, 2013 at 12:03

@NICKOLA: I agree Nick, I dont think the 4-2-3-1 (or whatever it was/is) formation works for us at all! Maybe pack the midfield away from home but I'm convinced we need 2 up top at home and 4-4-2 is the way forward! COYL

• December 6, 2013 at 22:04

@NICKOLA:
            With all due respect to Bradders we are not talking about hindsight here.

Many people on this site, at the ground and in pubs have been moaning about the Lomas formation from day one.

Even if it is a good idea with the right players (and frankly I doubt that in the first place) we didn't and don't have the players to operate it. But we did, and to a lesser extent still do, have the staff to operate 4-4-2.

• December 6, 2013 at 11:27

If we don't win tomorrow I think his job will be seriously on the line. He's lost the confidence of most of the crowd and we could easliy be in the bottom three if other results don't go our way. Getting close to Christmas, now is the time to make a change before its too late.

• December 6, 2013 at 11:30

@Micky Lions: Think it's not only the Crowd that have lost confidence in him, the players don't seem to be that behind him either...

• December 6, 2013 at 11:41

WOW a positive comment on this site for a change!!

We are a very well run club with a good owner who cares about our club! Just look at the likes of Leeds, Hull, Cardiff to name a few... all have had their history torn apart by foreign owners.

We have a good squad, better than it ever has been and with competition for every position which hasn't always been the case!

Yes we all spend our hard earned cash to go to Wall games, but we as supporters should support as negativity is a disease which spreads like wildfire!! Look at the times we get behind our players when we go behind, they put in that effort and fight.... when we don't and we slate them, it goes downhill!

I will always love Millwall because it is a way of life and bred into me, whether we are losing or winning I will always sing and support the club I love!!

• December 6, 2013 at 12:01

@Bradders: We do have the best squad we've ever had but we're also in the toughest championship theres ever been! In comparison to the rest of the league I dont believe our squad is anything special at all.... in fact its pretty average and severely lacks width!!

I will always back the team no matter what - all I ask is that the lads on the pitch give it their all!!

• December 6, 2013 at 12:36

@TheBermondseyBomber: Agree with that.
        We've conceded 18 goals in that last 8 games, that's an average of over 2 goals a game, so would hardly say this team is anything special at present.

• December 6, 2013 at 14:07

@TheBermondseyBomber: I agree it's a hard league, but we have a better team/squad than quite a few teams which wasn't the case last year, including Doncaster, Barnsley, Yeovil, Sheff Wednesday, Blackpool, Bournemouth and of course "The Anoraks".

We have signed players with great experience playing at this level and higher so don't think we are average, but more competitive than we have ever been!

Width?? Feeney, Lee Martin, Woolford, Chaplow (Don't even say he isn't a winger because he played over 30 games for Southampton on the wing when they got promoted!! He is just versatile), Waghorn and Easter also have experience playing on the wing.

Maybe they will give it their all if they aren't being slagged off for making an error by home fans as well as away fans at the Den! Footballers and any workers are motivated by a bit of praise!!Imagine if you made a mistake at work, would you expect your own boss who pays your wages to hurl abuse at you??

• December 6, 2013 at 14:49

@Bradders: Forgot to mention... Last season we had Hulse, Tyson, N'Guessan in our team and couldn't score any goals.... now we create a lot of chances, score goals more than ever!!

Sounds so cliché but we do need to cut out the silly errors at the back, which the defence can do during a game! No doubt Lomas and the coaches sit down with the defence and go over what they should have done etc but it is down to the players during the game!!

• December 6, 2013 at 15:06

@Bradders: Alright mate - you've mentioned 6 players 2 of which are strikers, 2 of which are natural central midfielders (according to the players themselves) that leaves Feeney and Woolford as our only natural wide players - hardly gonna set the league alight! Being versatile is great but a players natural position is his natural position - because he can do a shift in another position when required doesnt mean he's now a winger or striker etc...

I've not slagged anybody off myself however if I was taking best part of £10k a week and I did my job badly then yes I would fully expect to be abused!

Our backline has gone from being one of the best in the league to the second worst - with the same players..... any explaination for that? for me its a coaching issue!

• December 6, 2013 at 15:43

@TheBermondseyBomber: Chaplow said himself he is versatile in an interview with NAD, his words were "People forget I played over 30 games in Southampton's promotion winning side on the wing, so I'm comfortable playing there".

Martin played for Utd and Ipswich on the Left Wing, if your played 10k a week I think you would play wherever the manager wants you to!!

Woolford is our 2nd highest top goalscorer and there is no doubt he has been one of our better players this season! Feeney has been bit-part, but since his loan has been better and created the Barnsley own goal.

In past seasons our backline has been pretty much the same back four, this season we have had to chop and change because of injuries and suspensions!! Robbo has only come back this season and hasn't been his usual commanding self (which is a change from last), Shittu has got slower (if that was ever possible), Lowry and Dunne keep getting sent off (no change there).... so haven't had that solid consistent back 4 we are used to.... can't see how the coaches can be blamed for red cards and injuries.... unless you care to explain??

• December 6, 2013 at 21:56

@Basingstokelion:
            I have no idea how many times Chaplow was told to play on the wing at Southampton but from what I've seen down the Den I've got a fair idea what percentage of the time he actually stayed there as opposing to faffing about in an already crowded midfield.

Or maybe he really did play on the wing there - in which case why does he think he can leave that role empty on a regular basis, reducing our options and leaving our already suspect full-backs exposed?

Either he has been given a free hand with the results we've all seen or he doesn't give a rat's what the manager says and the poor sap responsible for the team performance lacks the authority, ability and respect to make Chaplow toe the line.

But either way it doesn't increase my confidence in the player or his manager.

Martin however I have some time for whilst Woolford and Feeney are adequate wide players at this level. The best winger we had/have was/is Henry by a country mile. Losing him by plonking the bloke in some damn fool ineffectual setup for which he was unsuited anyway was the biggest mistake Lomas has made so far (which is saying something).

And incidentally yes, I do blame Lomas to some extent for our regular loss of full-backs to red cards. Admittedly both had dodgy records anyway but playing two full-backs with severely limited pace and no wide midfield cover whilst expecting them to overlap and look out for equally cumbersome centre-backs was always going to leave them disastrously exposed and likely to get booked and/or sent off at some stage.

• December 6, 2013 at 17:29

Sole aim to please the fans eh Steve, well when you going to start, now, Jan, Feb or March? You will please me on your way out the door. Your clearly not up to it and things are not right. Mixed feelings came out of Tuesday, some saying better others not. Getting draws is not good when your not picking up wins anywhere. You look like a rabbit in headlights.

• December 6, 2013 at 20:42

Yes the championship is very competitive.

Unfortunately, we are not.

• December 6, 2013 at 21:42

I still think no matter what , we're gonna stay up. We start playing everyone twice soon , hopefully Lomas and the players have learned valuable lessons and 2014 is much , much better !

• December 6, 2013 at 22:55

@Block 8: I would like to have your faith. But somehow I doubt any lessons have been learnt.

• December 7, 2013 at 00:04

Yeah @bradders you're clutching at straws there mate - chaplow is no more a winger than I am! As for Woolford he's been one of our better players granted but we've been appalling this season so wouldn't say that was any special achievement - as for the back line - take a look at our fitness coach - he's 20 stone! There's your explaination for the injuries!