Wigan could appoint Brentford manager before Millwall visit

© Action Plus
© Action Plus

WIGAN chairman Dave Whelan hopes to appoint Brentford's Uwe Rosler as his new manager before the Latics play Millwall on Saturday.

Graham Barrow was installed as caretaker boss after Owen Coyle was sacked last weekend.

But the 2-0 defeat at Leeds United on Wednesday night could prove to be Barrow's one and only game in charge, with Rosler set to hold talks with Wigan on Friday.

Whelan told BBC Sport"We have permission to talk and I will be meeting him and hope to get it done today.

"He is the type I am looking for and I'm determined to get an agreement. I'm told he is mad keen to come and I have to say, Brentford have been very good in their dealings.

"They are obviously reluctant to lose him but they've been very helpful."

11 thoughts on “Wigan could appoint Brentford manager before Millwall visit

• December 6, 2013 at 08:48

That will ironic if he joins them and the worst happens tomorrow, we were supposed to want him before you know who joined us?

• December 6, 2013 at 11:21

@Barnlion: He was my favourite for the job before we got Lomas. He's done a great job at Brentford with very little money.

• December 6, 2013 at 11:52

@Micky Lions: Micky, not my first, but infront of the guy managing St Johnstone.

• December 6, 2013 at 09:21

Not interested in Wigan. I'm interested in Lomas and Millwall. It now seems that Lomas has woken up and smelt the coffee. 442 it is then, and if he'd listened to most of us weeks ago and played that system, then we'd have more points on the board. Two strikers up front, 4 in midfield and 4 in defence. Finally decide what your best defensive line-up is and stick with it once and for all.
    A Millwall team, playing at home in a 442 formation - with the squad we have - should be more than capable of three points and there isn't a single projected exscuse that I can think of as to why that can't happen.

• December 6, 2013 at 10:45

@NICKOLA: agreed but i don't see why we can't play 4-4-2 away from home? personally all i would change would be play waghorn away and mcdonald at home as waggy is a proper workhorse as well and can help out in m.f if need be. and have morro on at all times and let him get back to what he's capable of because that goal against forest was a positive glimpse of what could be to come ! i think it shows no faith in the players if we keep changing formation to go away it's pretty much saying we've come here for a draw or loss in my eyes. i personally think that's where all our problems lye is the midfield are to tentative to all go forward and support the striker in case we're caught on the back foot like when we played leicester! and you don't see any other teams breaking potential partnerships or working partnerships to go away from home , well not that i have seen anyway it sorta say's we have no confidence let's park the bus that will have all it's f****** windows broke through out the match and have gaping holes in it anyway . i think lomas is the problem , we have a blinding squad here just need the right person to motivate and coach them .

• December 6, 2013 at 11:56

@steveomfc5: I completely agree with you on the midfield, we need to play the ball around with confidence and get higher up the pitch.... which I see Lomas urging the players to do every week but they don't have the players don't seem to have the confidence to do it, after 6 years of playing a defensive game with KJ I'm not surprised!!

I remember it was only a couple of weeks ago when most were slating Morison and will do so again when he has another bad game... oh how very fickle some people are!

• December 6, 2013 at 12:22

@Bradders: i just don't think lomas put's the confidence into these lads . they might even be questioning his ability due to lack of experience at this level ? if it was dyche barking them orders i think the results would be different . but im not saying the players are not to blame as well they all need a good kick up the a*** .

• December 6, 2013 at 10:02

Maybe we should be doing likewise and going for Hollaway? Straight talking (lol),at least if he does talk bo**ocks it will be entertaining.He also knows the division and I'm sure will bring out the best of our good but under achieving squad.

• December 6, 2013 at 12:00

Not that I really care, I think this is a big gamble for Wigan. Taking on a manager who has no experience at Championship level is risky (just look at Lomas), plus he will be expected to get them promoted which I don't see happening.
    Will also be interesting to see where Hollaway ends up. Could it be SE16!

• December 6, 2013 at 14:29

I reckon Lomas is here to stay for some time to come. Uwe Rosler would've been a good choice for us. Holloway I reckon has far too much pedigree to take job with us.
    Next Millwall manager will be Tony Adams I reckon.

• December 7, 2013 at 17:46