Malone: Millwall calm despite sliding towards drop zone

©
©

SCOTT Malone believes it is too early in the season for Millwall to be worrying about being sucked into a relegation battle.

The Lions are sitting just three points above the Championship drop zone following their 2-2 draw with Nottingham Forest at The Den on Tuesday night.

But the left back insists it would be premature to sound the alarm after 18 games.

"It is going to be a long slog until the end of the season," he said. "We have got one eye over our shoulders but we're six unbeaten at home with another game coming up against Wigan.

"If we win that, we get ourselves out of it, so we are taking it game-by-game at the minute.

"If you lose one you're sucked into it and if you win one you shoot five places up the league, so I don't think you can look at it too closely. The margins are very fine."

Millwall were denied a second successive home win by Nathaniel Chalobah's header.

"It was a good point after what happened against Leicester," Malone added. "We put Steve Morison up front with Martyn Waghorn off him and I think it was quite effective.

"I think that is the way we are going to go now – it is more effective and we create more chances than when we try to play out from the back. We were unlucky not to win.

"We started on the front foot. I was surprised at how they played – you look at Forest and expect to see a good footballing team because their front six are top players.

"It was a bit of a shock that they went as direct as us, and we did it more effectively.

"Their equaliser was frustrating because we work all week on where people are at set pieces. I think it was Jimmy Abdou's man but mistakes happens – I made one against Leicester.

"We had to work hard for our two goals so to gift them one from a corner was cheap."

14 thoughts on “Malone: Millwall calm despite sliding towards drop zone

• December 5, 2013 at 09:19

Yeh your right Scott, we don't need to worry about a relegation fight until at least 5pm on Saturday. Glad you've put my mind at ease.

I can also see how effective that defensive marking you spend all week on is, bravo.

• December 5, 2013 at 09:52

Yet another player coming out with a load of b*******. It's a shame Lomas doesn't coach them to play as effectively as he gets them to talk!!!!!

• December 5, 2013 at 10:03

Now it's Scott turn to spout forth. Lomas must be working his way through the players and saying now it's your turn to go and insult the fans, treat them as if they do not have a brain cell between them. I for one am getting sick and tired of players coming on to this site and giving us the benefit of their thoughts. Perhaps Scotts time would be better spent on the training ground, learning how not to make school boy errors and continously giving away goals that everybody else at the ground could see coming except the defence. I like the way he blames Jimmy for one of the goals, what a cheap shot, after the whole of the defence, week after week making mistake after mistake. Talk about people in green houses.

• December 5, 2013 at 10:24

Has he watch us play? Scott I can tell u that this rabble are certainly in a relegation fight.

• December 5, 2013 at 10:37

Another useless non story from someone who wouldn't know anyway.

Lomas doesn't have a clue what he's doing one game to the next or even during it - how would Malone know

• December 5, 2013 at 10:39

i think that there is some light finally at the end of the tunnel because we are now going to start playing and using Morison like we should of all along. I hope you stick with 4 4 2 Lomas especially at home.

• December 5, 2013 at 10:55

@wall2wall: this is Lomas remember. Expect at least 4 changes and a new formation as yet unknown to mankind.

• December 5, 2013 at 12:38

@MFC Lion:
        I know lion, as you say anything is possible but I am very hopeful that he will now realise that we are more effective with a 4 4 2 and Morison starting. Mcdonald has been good but I would also like to see Morison and Easter given a chance.

• December 5, 2013 at 14:05

@wall2wall: agree Easter deserves more game time. With Waghorn leaving soon hopefully he will get his chance.

• December 5, 2013 at 14:37

@MFC Lion:
            Fingers crossed.
            I dont think many teams would turn us over at home playing 4 4 2 and I would be confident of goals with Morison / McDonald and Easter in that formation. Come on Lomas. I reckon it would keep you in your job and help us climb the league.

• December 5, 2013 at 11:24

Another player not in as many words saying we must do better. Where is the enthusiasm (spelling) that should be there. We Are doing.
    I think we are doing better than at the start of the season but still a long way off being united in our efforts.
    Weekin weekout mistakes are made, in all walks of life, sports, etc, Millwall are making too many for my liking, to err is only human, but to err is costing us dear

• December 5, 2013 at 13:42

Can we have a sweepstake on which player lomas is going to get to publicly defend his poor management next?

• December 5, 2013 at 14:08

@wappinglion: after his first half decent performance in ages I reckon Morison might chip in with some words of wisdom soon.

• December 5, 2013 at 14:11

I think we are more likely at the moment to get "sucked in" rather than "shoot up". The way you all keep on about so many games at home unbeaten, you are convincing yourselves you are good and you're not. Why was it a bit of a shock when they came at you, thats what Harford and his magic computer are supposed to be preparing you for, or can't he work out how to switch it on yet. Other teams are realising it's not working after 18 games while we still drift around in a sea of b*******. Whatever words are used by board members, manager, coaching staff, and players the performances on the pitch show no substantial signs of improvement, just bits of false hope. I don't care if it's Lomas or not who sorts it ( i somehow doubt it) but for f**** sake will someone.