Dunne relieved to return to Millwall fold after loan interest

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

ALAN Dunne turned down the chance to leave Millwall on loan last week – and is glad that he did after forcing his way back into Steve Lomas' plans.

Dunne, who was banished to the bench after being sent off against Bournemouth in October, returned to the Lions defence in the 2-2 draw with Nottingham Forest on Tuesday.

The 31-year-old feared he was being frozen out but was given the nod ahead of Justin Hoyte at right back and now hopes to cement his place in the side.

He said: "You never know if you have played your last game or whether you are going to be moved on. You always have that fear and I have been close a couple of times, even under Kenny Jackett.

"The phone always rings so there was availability to go elsewhere. I guess it was a risk to reject that but as much as I want to play games, I love Millwall and I don't want to leave.

"I want to be part of the squad and playing games. Clubs were interested but the manager decided to keep me around and I'm happy with that decision.

"I feel my experience, what I bring to the team and knowledge of what the club and fans want can help us in big games.

"That was something we needed on Tuesday – someone to pull the lads together and help the team face up to it and show what Millwall is about, which I think we did.

"It's tough for the manager because he has to make changes when the team is struggling and it's not easy to keep everyone happy.

"If I had not got a chance then maybe come Christmas I would have looked for another option. But I have got back in and it's up to me to reward the manager's faith in me now."

Dunne makes no secret of the fact that he found being left out of the starting XI hard to stomach. "I didn't know where I was at – I was in limbo really – so it's been tough," he said.

"My head was boiling at times because I want to play football for the club that I love. I have always said to the manager that I'm the best right back he's got and I've been trying to prove that in training. I'm confident in my ability."

And Dunne has revealed that he signed a contract extension with the Lions shortly after the start of the season – so he feels it is doubly important that he is playing regularly in the long term, with his deal now running until 2015.

"We shook hands on an agreement in the summer and it was signed off a few months ago," he said. "The chairman offered me an extension at the end of last season and he wants me to retire at the club, which I hope to do.

"I'll have to work hard to prove the club made the right decision.

"They don't give out contracts willy nilly so I will have to work hard for my next one, and I know I will have to be doing well for the team on a regular basis."

18 thoughts on “Dunne relieved to return to Millwall fold after loan interest

• December 5, 2013 at 10:09

May not be the best player in the world, but he is wall through and through. its just not about a wage packet at the end of the month, its about loyalty , commitment and respect. A few of the other players could take note of what the fans expect from a wall player. COYL

• December 5, 2013 at 12:50

@rikkiatwall:
      With 11 Alan Dunne like attitudes , we'd be top of the table. No doubt at all.

• December 5, 2013 at 14:43

@Block 8: Top of the red cards table you mean? 😉 Nah seriously speaking Dunney is real wall. The sort of player you need in and around your squad, felt he done okay on Tuesday night. Could tell he wasn't his normal self but you cant blame him having not played for a long time!

• December 5, 2013 at 22:08

@Block 8: Thats if they dont keep getting sent,as brian clough used to say "YOUR NO GOOD TO ME SITTING IN THE STANDS".

• December 5, 2013 at 10:46

There are a few players who say they are Millwall through and through but never really deliver the goods, its not just about commitment its about having the brains and skill to be part of a team that can overcome the opposition.

• December 5, 2013 at 11:36

Have been a bit critical of dunne in the past but he has always fought his way back, better than all who have come in to replace him, Connely, jack Smith and hoyte! And his commitment to millwall is100%!

• December 5, 2013 at 11:38

We all think were the best at what we do, but in reality theres always someone better than you and it takes a brave person to admit it.
    I like Dunne's attitude and determination to retire at this club, but as we get older and slower the ambition slowly fades, to really stay competitive I think Dunne may have to concider a move to the next league down. It would be a shame to see him go though in my mind, I like him at right back at least you know what you've got

• December 5, 2013 at 17:05

@aeojt: "We all think were the best at what we do, but in reality there's always someone better than you and it takes a brave person to admit it". Sometimes when another player is brought in to replace you it's not the case that they are better. There have been many players to come in to replace Dunne on the pitch, Jack Smith was one from Swindon and Adam Smith from Spurs now Hoyte, but each time he has been dropped for these players Dunne as always come back as strong as ever. May he long continue at Millwall, don't be a muppet Lomarse look at another area that needs cover.

• December 5, 2013 at 21:42

@CavanLion: As I said I like Dunne at least you know what your getting. I'm not talking about what I think of the replacements, we've had. I'm just saying as one gets older, one is not as good as one thinks, therefore it takes a brave person to admit their failings

• December 5, 2013 at 11:58

He's not the greatest player in the world, but I'd rather have someone at the club who is 100% Millwall than half the uninspiring loans and has-beens we have now.

• December 5, 2013 at 12:52

I think calling Dunney 100% Millwall is an insult to him. He's 200% and counting. That is one loyal , hardworking , committed , passionate Millwall if ever there was.
    Arise Sir Alan , Millwall legend !

• December 5, 2013 at 12:53

@Block 8:
      ****passionate Millwall player*****

• December 5, 2013 at 13:03

Dunne extended his contract til 2015 as well

• December 5, 2013 at 13:15

Proper wall!

• December 5, 2013 at 13:29

Great club servant and true wall determination - something you do not get from loan players lomas. I'm happy to stick with Dunney and Jack Smith and U21s as cover. Would rather have Millwall type than tourists here just for the money

• December 5, 2013 at 22:17

@wappinglion: Wapping you call these players tourist just for the money,they could have stayed at their own clubs and still got the money,most of these players agree to loans because they actually want to play football matches.

• December 5, 2013 at 20:45

He try's his best and not afraid to tackle, a lot more then some. Happy he stayed

• December 5, 2013 at 22:56

Welcome back tot he team Dunney, once again you have returned and brought stability to the RB position.