Beevers pulls no punches after Millwall roll over at Leicester

©
©

MARK Beevers pulled no punches after Millwall's 3-0 defeat to Leicester City.

The centre back admitted the Lions' defensive performance had not been good enough and that they "failed to adapt" to the Foxes' counter-attacking tactics.

Boss Steve Lomas had warned of the opposition's threat on the break before the game but time and time again Nigel Pearson's side were able to turn defence into attack.

Beevers said: "We knew Leicester would be a big test – every team in the league knows that – but we've got to be disappointed with the goals we have conceded. They were very much avoidable from our point of view.

"They've got bags of pace – the two wingers are rapid – but we knew that so it's not as if they took us by surprise. We didn't adapt to it and only have ourselves to blame."

Millwall's vulnerability to the counter-attack was epitomised by Jamie Vardy's 52nd-minute goal, which came directly after a clearance from a corner at the other end of the field.

"They broke from our corner, which they probably did ten times throughout the game, and that's not good enough," Beevers added.

"The first goal came from us not picking up a midfield runner and maybe we should have been tighter as a back four. Scott Malone made a mistake for the third which happens.

"Paul Robinson and I were chatting after the game and we thought we did reasonably okay in the first half against their strikers. We restricted them to mainly long shots.

"But after the third goal went in we were stretched. It's not good enough and we know that."

As the Lions' heads dropped, Leicester continued to pour forward and would have won by an even greater margin had goalkeeper David Forde not been in such impressive form.

Beevers said: "It's not easy to pick yourself up when you're 3-0 down at Leicester, but we're all professionals and we should be man enough to keep going and fight.

"Some people might think that we rolled over and they took the mick out of us a little bit, but the only positive is that we didn't concede a stupid amount of goals.

"Fordey made a lot of good saves but it was a very bad day at the office."

Lomas' side have the chance to make amends for such a poor performance when they host Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night.

"We've got to get back on the horse," Beevers said. "We responded to a big defeat to Derby earlier in the season and we are more than capable of doing the same again.

"It is an important game. We've been doing well at The Den recently so there is no reason why we can't turn over Forest. Things will be looking up again if we get a win."

46 thoughts on “Beevers pulls no punches after Millwall roll over at Leicester

• December 2, 2013 at 09:02

Sorry Beever's, but I've heard this b***** all to often from SL and the team.
    Other teams must look at us know and think easy 3 points plus we'll get our goal difference up ,BONUS !!
    I appreciate Lomas is trying to get us playing a different brand of football, but if you don't have the players to back this up, or they don't believe in what the managers trying to do, then you might as well pack your bags and call it a day.
    See you all tomorrow night.

• December 2, 2013 at 09:14

Agree Syd. I 've had enough of the b******* after every game. " I have to hold my hands up "crap " we kept it down to three" some of ( most of) the performances this season have been amateurish..
    I will be there tomorrow anther 200 mile round trip getting back late and up for work the next morning, do they care..." It doesn't look like it"

Shape up or ship out , and that goes for the lot of you, players management and executives, it's sloppy and it's not good enough.

• December 2, 2013 at 09:17

@Lincolnshire Lion: ps Hello Nick this is me....are you going tomorrow ! 🙂

• December 2, 2013 at 09:15

Getting a bit boring now !

• December 2, 2013 at 09:24

Tomorrow night there will be an improvement, mainly because Bailey will be back but, although it's stating the bleeding obvious, we are playing a very good team who on paper should turn us over. I'm not one of those who wants us to lose so Lomas gets the boot. I just think we will lose and therefore Berylson will have to bite the bullet and admit it's time to move him on. The only three points I can see us getting is Charlton at home and that's not until March 15th....

• December 2, 2013 at 10:43

@NICKOLA: I have to disagree. Not sure if you mean Leicester or Forest, but we shouldn't be expecting any team in the Championship to turn us over.

There's clubs with more resources than us, but we're not talking about the Premiership. If we can't compete at this level we might as well pack up and call it a day.

• December 2, 2013 at 13:13

@Micky Lions:
        LISTEN THE BEST THING THAT MILLWALL HAVE IS THE " SUPPORTERS "
        WE HAVE ALL SEEN SOME RUBBISH PLAYING FOR US, BUT THE FANS HAVE BEEN,
        AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE VERY , VERY BEST.................
        ALTHOUGH WE ONLY TAKE ABOUT A THOUSAND AWAY NOWADAY, TO THE 3 OR 4
        WE USED TO TAKE 12 / 15 YEARS AGO...................WE STILL MAKE A LOUD NOISE.
        ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE WILL KNOW.....................
        SO AS FAR AS THE OTHER TEAMS ARE CONCERNED, WE AWAYS HAVE A CHANCE OF
        BEATING THEM !!!!!!
        "NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE"
        THE STORM

• December 2, 2013 at 18:42

@bermlion: if only the crowd could win matches ...

• December 3, 2013 at 18:11

@bonnie1272:
            THE MILLWALL FANS HAVE WON MANY, MANY MATCHES ................
            [ IN FACT WE'RE STILL UNBEATEN !!!!! ]

WHICH IS WHY.....................

" NO ONE LIKES US , WE DON'T CARE "
            STORMIN' NORMAN

• December 2, 2013 at 09:35

I appreciate your honesty beevers, but i have been wall for over 30 years and on paper this is one of the best squads we have ever had down the den, we need a manager that can manage and have the players respect and want to play for him but more importantly they want to play for wall, i am not being negative before every 1 slaughters me but i now live away from peckham but choose to have 11hour days to watch wall and these performances are not good enough what as happened to the wall that get stuck in and disrupt the other teams pattern etc we will def go down this year unless we change our management team wake up j.b i will always love you wall but this is not acceptable something is not right down se16 we are alot better than we are showing. Ginge get back to basics and the lions will roar milllllllllllllllll

• December 2, 2013 at 09:39

Sorry, but a team does not get 30 shots at goal , by just hitting another on the break. There is something very wrong in the formation he uses. Playing a very skilled but very small man up front on his own, is a start.

• December 2, 2013 at 09:41

I glad I pay over 60's price for my season ticket - I have my doubts being confirmed now - from JB down No One seems to care Beevers giving the same verbal rubbish as SL, complete and utter Bullsh1t - Millwall have players capable of ending the season up near the play offs - But they are all playing for themselves and not the team - I now feel ashamed to show my colours outside my house -

• December 2, 2013 at 09:46

My opinion is players must take half the blame as there on the pitch they are the ones that ultimately effect the score in a game but the other half is with the Manager I don't think lomas knows what he is doing and think has to go who has confidence in him who thinks he is gna turn it around and make millwall a success not me not many fans and I don't think the players do either this weekend Fulham Barnsley Sheffield Wednesday and now Wigan have sacked there managers because they where not good enough are we just gna suffer this mess or is someone gna do something about it do what's RIGHT for millwall !!

• December 2, 2013 at 09:48

What a f****** cop out. Why cant lomas ever come out and say "sorry guys we got what we deserved, f*** all and it's my fault".
    Dont about you lot but ive had enough of this s*** excuse after excuse and players coming out trying to defuse the situation. Ive never wanted us to lose and it hurts every time but i want us to lose tomorrow so JB and AA can finally realise what it means to "be millwall".
    and understand that no matter how good or bad a manager is you just cannot employ an inexperianced manager who has a long time affiliation with your most hated rivals. Its funny cause i was one of a few who thought it could work but not nieve enough to realise the consenquences of failure. It has not worked and it will only get worse especially come jan when any decent player we have will put in a transfer request. On paper we have an attractive squad for any experianced manager out there i realise theres no guarentee and agree with some that we'll have to start again but tbh i'd rather start again cause this guy hasnt got a danny he's ruining our club and filling the terraces with hate sooner or later it will be more of the same as wembley last season.
    Time to act mr Berrylson before the club you own really is worth f*** all but a housing estate.

• December 2, 2013 at 10:07

@lukesmithmfc: I have to say Luke, that JB is standing by his man, and although the original decision may have been wrong it is right that he supports SL at least until Xmas. That would be a decent amount of time within which SL really should have got some consistently good performances out of this squad. Unfortunately, I do not expect that this will happen as I now doubt SL has the experience to turn this around. Flitcroft/Jones and Coyle are all either out of their jobs or rumoured to be so, I think the board are working to a deadline and if things haven't changed significantly I bet they have an experienced manager waiting in the wings.

• December 2, 2013 at 10:07

@lukesmithmfc: The problem is that Millwall are lacking something. Not players and certainly not passionate support. We seem to have lost our 'soul'. I was also full of optimism before the season started, and like everyone was overjoyed at all the quality players we brought in. Three managers from the Championship have now gone in the last 48 hours, so if Berylson needs a smokescreen to hide any embarassment, then now is the time to say goodbye to Lomas. I don't think that these 'foreign' owners have a clue in the main about what makes clubs 'tick'. Hull City to be now known as Hull Tigers ffs and never mind what the 'fans' think. What happens when Bruce goes and Hull are relegated ? The owner will p*** off and that's what is going to happen to us for different reasons. Rather than looking across from the Atlantic , I think Berylson needs to move into the SE14 area permanently to really get an understanding of our feelings, and when the rain is lashing his council house windows, he can spend the time reading into the history of Millwall. Then he might do what's right-before it's too late. And it very nearly is.

• December 2, 2013 at 18:49

@lukesmithmfc: got to say I'm with you Luke.

I reckon he has got thirty minutes tomorrow before the crowd (well 8000 of us hardy souls) turn on him.

I for one will be joining in.

LOMAS OUT NOW!

• December 2, 2013 at 10:23

Lomas has stopped making excuses looks like he's telling his players to do it instead this is not the first time & it's starting to p*** me off. He's had long enough to get the players playing the way he wants. The fact they ain't just proves he ain't got wot it takes. F*** him off now. & get someone in before xmas.

• December 2, 2013 at 10:28

You have NOT been doing well anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• December 2, 2013 at 10:37

I'm getting bored of all this now - every week theres Lomas and a player (whoever is on the rota to do it) saying we need to do better and we've only ourselves to blame etc etc - granted we've used more players this season than any other team in the championship but even still the way we're getting beat is like nothing I've seen form Millwall before - no fight, no spirit, no balls - we're rolling over - 30 shots on goal from LCFC surely that can't be tolerated! I think Lomas deserved a chance and backing but its clear he isnt cut out for this job!

All the "positive" fans who post on here have been awfully quiet the past 48 hours..... shock! wheres your positivity now? probably left it all back up at the King Power!!

• December 2, 2013 at 16:05

@TheBermondseyBomber: as one of the fans who tries to see the positives I think the manner of our defeat to Leicester explains why there are little to no positive statements on here. Maybe we only let in 3 being the 'positive' for the match.

Just like if we put in a great performance tomorrow and beat forest, repeat of Blackpool, all the doom and gloom posters will keep quiet until Saturday at least 😉

Lomas has had a good crack at trying to get it to work and it's not like we are only losing games by the odd goal we are getting 'hammered' and it's embarrassing. At 3-0 I was just waiting for the next Leicester goal to come up on the vidi printer.

It looks less and less likely that it will click into place and a season of treading water hoping the 3 below stay there and half a dozen severe beatings 4+ goals is what I invisage under Lomas unfortunately.

Probably just a matter of time until he is shown the door. Difference from some fans on here is that I wanted him to succeed, I still do, as that means Millwall are doing well. Too much focus on who he played for and his f****** hair colour! Grow up. His shoody tactics, formations, players out of position and an obsession with midfielders are plenty of legit reasons to criticise him.

Boycotting games is not the answer either IMO. That only damages the club and as a season ticket holder I like many others have already payed so what's the point in not going? If you want to force him out going along and making your voice heard will be the most effective way.

Had all the lomas out brigade joined forces on here and held a protest at a match I reckon you would have had your wish by now. Probably just a matter of when he goes this season rather than if.

Coyle in before the new year my prediction.

• December 2, 2013 at 17:21

@MFC Lion: That is exactly my point - the only positive this week is that we only got hammered 3-0 and not 12!!

If we win tomorrow (which I doubt we will) then great but one swallow dont make a summer and I'd still believe Lomas is not up to the job!

I've got behind him and the team all season - I wasnt too impressed when he was announced but nevertheless I backed him however now I think its gone too far - results have been awful and our wage bill is at an all time high! I'm with you - I want him to do well and for us to succeed but I just can't see it.... we scraped past Barnsley and all too often we've been second best from the start of a game to the finish!

Coyle is a good shout but I'm not sure we could be affording his wage and with so many clubs now looking for a manager he'll be snapped up pretty soon!

• December 3, 2013 at 00:32

@MFC Lion: I could not agree more,on coyle could it be coincidence our war cry makes up most of his name.COYL,even so not to sure having him at the den would be a good thing.

• December 3, 2013 at 07:37

@jim1222: more hoping we get Coyle or someone else who has at least managed at this level. Would holloway want it? Not so sure as he looked a broken man at Palace which really surprised me, everyone knew them staying up would be a miracle. Warnock perhaps, we have the players to be top half but just seem to lack a man who can get the best out of them.

4-0 to Forest and lomas to be put out of his misery.

• December 2, 2013 at 10:40

I am aurprised that wigan have sacked Coyle already, he is proven at that level and Whelan has always stood by his managers in the past. Does anyone else get the feeling that clubs are sacking managers so that they can go out and get their replacements in before anyone else snaps them up?

• December 2, 2013 at 10:50

@glyngo: That is a good point.We now have Wigan,Wednesday & Barnsley looking 4 a new Manager.And a shortage of options out there,who would Millwall get in SL goes?

• December 2, 2013 at 12:23

@glyngo: God no!! and if it makes a difference I'm not ginger either!!

• December 2, 2013 at 20:02

@Longfield Lion: my old lady! She's got Alzheimer's, blind, can't communicate but still could kick eleven lions up there rse when it was needed!

• December 3, 2013 at 00:36

@bonnie1272: OMG ian dowie is looking for a job hope he dont get an interview even.

• December 2, 2013 at 10:54

Who is best; nikola or luke smith?

• December 2, 2013 at 10:59

@benzo: Only one way to find out - FIGHT !!!!

• December 2, 2013 at 11:43

@benzo: I'd have Holloway.
      At this time I think Julian Clary could do a better job than Lomas.

• December 2, 2013 at 12:16

@NICKOLA: Lilly Savage as his assistant and a sequined away kit.....

• December 2, 2013 at 12:21

@glyngo: I'm off for a cold shower.

• December 2, 2013 at 19:39

@glyngo: I think we need them in defence to stiffen up the back f*****g four.

• December 2, 2013 at 20:04

@benzo: I'm sure they could do the job together in perfect harmony.

A bromance that's all we f****** need

• December 2, 2013 at 12:51

Boll***s!!!

• December 2, 2013 at 13:34

Photo in the Leicester programme on Saturday featured:

Billy Neil, Dougie Allder, Derek Possee, Barry Bridges, Alan Dorney, Barry Kitchener and Harry Cripps - I could not see a team including those seven players putting in a performance like I witnessed on Saturday.

Waghorn, Easter, Bailey & Dunne to come back tomorrow evening?

• December 2, 2013 at 15:27

@SELondonLion: Definitely Bailey/Dunne, Easter if we play 4-4-2 and Waghorn if we play 4-3-3.

• December 2, 2013 at 22:24

@glyngo: Waghorn wants to play in the centre but we cant lose McDonald so play 4-5-1 and play McDonald up front with waghorn behind him and Bailey and Chaplow in there as well.

• December 2, 2013 at 13:37

i like you beevers, but save ya breath mate seriously we heard this 3/4 months ago from him . don't be a messenger boy for him coz these words sound like there from his gob , not yours ! we near enough all want him out . i was firmly on the lomas out bandwagon at the start , then i calmed down and said id give him 15 games . which in my eyes is a fair crack a lot fairer than a LOT! of other managers in england this season so far . kidded myself to thinking this was ever gonna work , rather lose 2moro night and get him the f*** outta our beloved club it's not far away from ruined already. if he's not gone by xmas then say goodbye championship and about 2,500 fans . don't know why ya backing him , if you all told the truth you probably feel the same as we do !

• December 2, 2013 at 20:20

@steveomfc5: our biggest problem is our director mr berylson and the rest of the board who run other businesses and is really not what we want in charge because their heart and finance are not in it.we will go nowhere with short arms and deep pockets and also not listening to us your lifeblood the fans who keep our club afloat. the writing was on the wall last season. our league form was abysmal.our only light being the cup run,this I feel strongly about under jacket we had zilch youngsters being played at senior level something millwall have always done either through injury or potential or finance.this trend not to blood our future stars at first team level is strangling our club,the club needs sorting out from top to bottom.this board appointed mr lomas and see no wrong in him that shows that they lack football sense of any degree,please santa bring me a whole new astute board and manager who knows the game.

• December 2, 2013 at 20:42

@millwallbuilder: completely agree . but i was just saying to some other lads imagine if k.j was given the support and funds lomarse has been given . he showed what he could do with decent players , look at wood ? could imagine what he could of done with the team we have now that are much stronger now ? but you're right about the younger lads they need a shot at the first team more often than not! we need someone in that can deal with the job pronto coz it's become abundantly clear lomas can't