Lomas satisfied with midfielder Moussi's debut for Millwall

©
©

STEVE Lomas was satisfied with Guy Moussi's first performance in a Millwall shirt given the midfielder's lack of match action so far this season.

The Nottingham Forest loanee made his Lions bow ahead of schedule in the 1-0 win over Barnsley on Saturday after Liam Trotter and Jimmy Abdou were injured in training.

Moussi had previously made just four appearances this term – and none since September- so it is likely to be several weeks before the Frenchman is fully fit.

"I thought he did okay for a guy who hasn't played much football and who only came back from a groin injury about three weeks ago," Lomas said.

"Guy did really www.mindanews.com/buy-inderal/ well to get through the 90 minutes and, with Nicky Bailey suspended for the Leicester game, he'll certainly play an important part next weekend."

Lomas admitted he took a gamble in making five changes to his starting line up against the Tykes – especially in recalling Scott Malone and Scott McDonald after injuries.

"It probably was a bit of a risk to start the two Scotts," he said. "Richard Chaplow hasn't had much football recently either but played an hour, which was a positive.

"You are always a bit worried about rushing people back and, with Mark Beevers starting as well, that there might be too many who are a little bit rusty."

64 thoughts on “Lomas satisfied with midfielder Moussi's debut for Millwall

• November 26, 2013 at 09:09

A lot of people seemed to be getting on his back for lack of creativity.. But he isn't that sort of player!! Done his job superbly in my opinion, won every ball in the air and when it came to passing the ball was nice and simple. The creativity comes from Bailey and Trotter who we missed immensely on Saturday. I can't wait to see Moussi, Bailey and Trotter in the middle! Sounds immense to me, power, and quality with Malone and Hoyte getting forward from full backs. Really believe all we need now is our 20 goal scorer to come through and we will win games.. And I ain't being a deluded fan either! We can be a match for any team in this division when we play to our best, and people need to see this season as a changing season and not expect too much. Expect more changes in January too but this had to happen and if you think differently ask yourself why KJ decided to jump ship? Lomas is inexperienced but he offers fresh new ideas and we actually look like a team that can score goals when we are on top instead of 1-0s and 0-0s which we always saw with KJ. Just give the guy time!

Really interested to see who agrees with me and who disagrees...

COYL!

• November 26, 2013 at 09:57

@Omer Ronayne: Yes have to agree, KJ played sometimes negative football (not a dig as it got us where we needed to be) but nowadays the higher up the football league ladder you go the better the football is on the floor.

This must be the 1st season where we, as a club, have tried to play football on the floor... moving the ball around rather than passing it around the back and lumping it up to the target man and bypassing midfield.

It take time to transform a team to play this way and I'd be happy, as I've always said with staying in the league and pushing on next season for play-offs.

• November 26, 2013 at 10:31

@Bradders: good post bradders all the post,s so far on this subject have been positive and sensible,but dont worry all the doom and gloom,cant see further than the end of of their noses brigade will wake up and try to find some things wrong that are not really there.

• November 26, 2013 at 10:04

@Omer Ronayne: yeah, spot on, too many people around me on sat were moaning about him.... He's a big strong ball winner for me, who'll do well if people understood his role more. Him trots bye Bailey make a formidable midfield with some big games coming up....minus Bailey for sat of course.

• November 26, 2013 at 10:11

@Omer Ronayne: Agree with you here, and he's got a good brain too, read this very wel.
      Gget him match fit then he'll make the team sheet on a regular basis

• November 26, 2013 at 10:16

@Omer Ronayne: omer you have certainly reflected my views in your post,moussi did nothing wrong in my way of seeing things,not only did he win every header,played every thing simple[i cannot recall a miss placed pass made by him].Also he wasnt afraid to put his foot in,when tackling.he arrived monday played saturday,he did well in my opinion.

• November 26, 2013 at 18:57

@jim1222: not wanting to pee on anyone's positive fires, but if you are happy to accept the complete dross that was dished up on Saturday, the I salute you.

And before you moan, I get behind my team every game and only want what's best for us as a club.

Personally, I want to see more return for our chairmans money.

• November 26, 2013 at 22:48

@bonnie1272: let the chairman worry about his money he is a big boy you know,yes i want to see better than that dross as you call it,but circumstances some times dictate the way we play,ie missing our best play maker[trotter]having three players back from injury,mc donald,beevers,malone,all three must have been a bit rusty.also moussi who only arrived on monday.i do get behind the team,but when im critical i at least try to give a positive slant on things.instead of slagging lomas and the team off,i have said in earlier posts that it was a scrappy game,so you worry about the chairmans money and i will go on supporting the team and lomas untill the chairman decides he wants to spend his money on another manager then i will support that manager full stop.

• November 26, 2013 at 23:41

@jim1222: you have your opinion, I have mine.

I don't see why I should have to agree with everything you say, and I'm sure you won't me. Which is the way it should be.

I personally don't wear rose tinted specs and if I want to be critical whether constructive or not then surely this is the forum?

The Millwall world would be a dull place if we all agreed!

I have never called for lomas to be sacked, but I have and will continue to question anything that seems strange to my own thoughts.

• November 26, 2013 at 13:10

@Omer Ronayne: Agree totally but still believe that Easter would do a better job than Morison.

• November 26, 2013 at 17:45

@Omer Ronayne:
      I agree with most of your post other that I thought Moussi is a bit slow. He's not very athletic and could be bypassed by opposition midfielder , where as Jimmy Abdou is more of a hustle and bustle style player. Not too sure about Hoyte getting forward and contributing either , he showed nothing Saturday to suggest that is a major part of his game. I do however share your enthusiasm for Lomas' new ideas and agree we're getting there slowly but surely.

• November 26, 2013 at 10:25

bailey was deservedly made man of the match,and by taking some of the defesive pressure off bailey, moussi actually helped bailey play a little more of a free,er roll.and adding to my previouse post not only did he take a bit of pressure off bailey he won three good headers that took the pressure off the defenders,something that has been missing in the past.

• November 26, 2013 at 10:33

Might be a controversial post but I would prefer Moussi over Jimmy in the Middle (when both fit), Moussi is stronger and can win a header although would like Jimmy or Bailey in there if we need 2 defensive Midfielders with either Trotter or Chaplow or Lee Martin ahead of them creating.

Thinking about it, I can't remember a time when we have either had a team with this much quality and depth! When we start winning games and keep a settled starting 11 I can see us being really hard to beat.

I genuinely like what Lomas is trying to do, haven't ever seen us create so many chances in a game whilst also having a solid back 4 and defensive midfielder when we have hoyte, Robinson, Beevers, Malone - Moussi.

• November 26, 2013 at 10:42

@Bradders: A refreshing change to see such positive posts, was getting seriously p***** off with this site with all the narrow minded negative stuff, but it will come from the usual suspects rest assured. LOL

• November 26, 2013 at 12:20

@Sealion: Thought I'd try and lighten the mood sealion haha.
        As long as we stay in the division then I'll be happy, because the way we ended last season and with KJ jumping ship it was always going to be very tough to get us going, but Lomas seems like he is implementing the change we have needed.... football on the floor!!

• November 26, 2013 at 12:04

We should have signed both waghorn & moussi. Both look proper millwall players. Moussi is the type of player we've been missing. & with him in the side both bailey & trotter can get forward. Don't think u can say KJ jumped ship if he was goin to do that he would of went 4 years ago.

• November 26, 2013 at 12:18

Personally I think he did really well considering he hasnt played consistantly all season maybe a little slow with the ball as in picking a pass but I'm putting that down to being a bit rusty! Think he'll do well!!

• November 26, 2013 at 12:48

Mousse looks decent. Chaplow should be sold in January as he's turned out to be pony.

• November 26, 2013 at 19:15

@benzo: Chaplow was a good player last year - in fact most people were screaming for us to sign him.

So how come he's toilet Benzo?

It could be cos he needs to get match fitness, it could be a lack of confidence, it could be a system misunderstanding, it could be a clash with the manager, or it could be a manager who doesn't know how to get the best from him?

I don't know to be fair, perhaps answers on a postcard please.

• November 26, 2013 at 20:53

@benzo: I think Chaplow is a quality player he just needs a run in the team and to play in the correct position.

• November 26, 2013 at 16:46

Didn't see the game so i cant really comment but i did hear something funny on the millwall hangover (great podcast btw) they said moussi has jimi`s passing skills and trotters tackling ability!

• November 26, 2013 at 19:11

Before all you positive freaks get carried away please remember that we played Barnsley.

That's right Barnsley.

Possibly the worst team I have seen grace the den for some time.

They were considerably worse than last year and still would have got a draw if there defender had not made the mistake.

We could have played until next Saturday and still wouldn't have scored.

IMO Moussi had a very average game, which could have several explanations, and if we allow Malone and Hoyte to get forward down each wing, we may find ourselves exposed more so by other teams who maybe, just maybe, might be better than Barnsley.

• November 26, 2013 at 20:57

@bonnie1272: I agree mate but be careful as you are not allowed to say anything negative about the team(even if true) on here.

• November 26, 2013 at 21:39

@Eightieswall: trust me when I say that was the most positive thing I could think of

• November 26, 2013 at 22:13

@bonnie1272: We never same to raise our game for the smaller teams. we are best when we are the underdogs.If we could play every week like we did against blackpool qpr and burnley we would be in the mix when may comes round.

• November 26, 2013 at 22:47

@Eightieswall: I agree that we never seem to be able to raise it for the minnows - So maybe it's a motivation thing? But that has been Millwall repeatedly over the years.

Even I can't lay that at the door of the current management.

• November 26, 2013 at 19:14

At this stage last season we were seven places higher, had six more points, had scored 10 more goals, had conceded five fewer goals and had a goal difference of +3. Doesn't read too negative.
    By Xmas we had 37 points and Kenny Jackett was one of the greatest managers we had ever had, 'Premiership here we come'.
    We all know what happened next.
    Lomas needs 20 points from 24 available to match that Xmas total. Not 'doom and gloom' but facts.
    Lomas should be judge on his record now and going forward on his record as the season progresses, not on what might be around the corner because that's just speculation and in some cases wishful thinking.
    If we end up higher than last season all well and good but there is a long way to go before I'll be joining the friends of Lomas revolution above.
    As for the boring 1-0's etc., I refer you back to last Saturday.

• November 26, 2013 at 19:19

@lion.ie:omg you negative bstard you!

You are never gonna be welcome here again.

Bit if it helps, I agree with you.

• November 26, 2013 at 19:25

@bonnie1272: Thinking of changing my name to Old Lion.ie?

• November 26, 2013 at 19:45

@lion.ie: you should!

I miss his constructive rants - just not his winding up of some not to be named.

• November 26, 2013 at 19:49

@lion.ie:
      Comparisons are misleading. At this point last season we hadn't played the same the teams we have this season. Other sides were in different leagues . Players come and go too. This point in 1988 we were about 4th..................

• November 26, 2013 at 20:03

@Block 8: you're kind off right that we played other teams etc etc, and I am in total agreement that this Millwall side is at least trying to play football the right way.

But, being a person who always questions, and wherever as positively as I can, do you think the last result against Barnsley is reflective of our season?

We looked negative going forward.

We looked scared when defending.

We lacked confidence throughout.

We lacked any ideas how to break them down.

Better sides and we will be found wanting in my opinion.

The tension in the ground from the home support tells you that surely?

• November 26, 2013 at 21:12

@bonnie1272:
          I think you're points are very good. What we have to bear in mind is , Right back - on loan. Left back - fresh from injury. Centre back - back from injury. Moussi - on loan. Chaplow- not fit. Woolford-off form. Mcdonald - back from injury. Waghorn - on loan.
          No Trotter.
          No Abdou
          No Dunney
          So I think the performance did sum the above up . We're half fit and disjointed and were s#it scared of losing. A better side would've exposed us.

• November 26, 2013 at 21:59

@Block 8: I'm am bearing all that in mind, but here's some food for thought;

First choice keeper-may we'll be leaving us
            Second choice keeper - not good enough from what i have seen.

Right back - four to choose from of which two are purportedly better than the original. Time will tell.

Left back - back from injury and a plus point. No serious cover except a left footed CB.

Centre backs - 1 back from injury and a good player, 1 true lion, 1 who has eaten too much and 1 who has not been played there.

Midfield - where do I start. Far too many to choose from and in my opinion, and this is my opinion, mr lomas doesn't know which are his best. Furthermore a terrible decision to bring back feeney, who could have stayed in the shop window at Bolton, but instead is getting splinters. No width nor balance. And our best winger is at wolves.
            Plus points, bailey is a good acquisition, trotter can be a good player at times.

Attack - waghorn, Keogh, Morison, macdonald, Easter all wanting to play in the one central role.

Now whilst I agree that strength in depth is good, there are just too many options which could explain a lot. If players don't play or are in and out of the team regularly, how do they gain confidence?

also, with the amount of players departing in December and January, that will mean a new influx of players to upset any rhythm we may have.

It seems a scattergun view to signings, of the ilk of Mr Redknap, is what our current policy has become.

Oh and that's without the sacking/ redundancy of our only scout, just so our assistant manager can play with his keyboard all day.

And do not get me started on the fitness coach/trainers.

Now how's that for a positive assessment?

• November 27, 2013 at 11:02

@bonnie1272: Well were were not " found wanting" against QPR, Blackpool or Reading?

• November 27, 2013 at 15:23

@Peckhamlad: agreed we raised our game, but we were against derby, Bournemouth etc, who are also better than Barnsley. Guess we will see on Saturday, and I would love to be proved wrong.

• November 26, 2013 at 21:46

@Block 8: As misleading as you want them to be B8, you seem happy to accept the original posters comparisons between Lomas and Jackett though. If you read your own reply to Bonnie @21:12 it kind of tells the story of where we are with Lomas at the moment. As for who we have or haven't played this year, the next three games will be a true test of our current squad. I hope they are up to it.
        One more genuine question, if our style of play is so much better to watch, and I have to take your word on that, why are the home attendances dropping so sharply?

• November 26, 2013 at 22:08

@lion.ie: I know I'm negative lion but we are generally playing better football at times, rather than last season. However, it ain't working hence the dwindling home support.

Strange thing is, there is no plan b or no thought to changing tactics or formation to give us a better chance if winning at home more regularly.

Now if we rectify that.....

• November 26, 2013 at 22:29

@bonnie1272: As I've said before I'm not in the Lomas out camp just yet and I'm generally an optimistic person but I'm not a blind optimist and even from afar it's obvious Lomas is on a very steep learning curve right now.

• November 26, 2013 at 22:58

@bonnie1272: bonnie if you are so fed up with the team why do you bother going

• November 27, 2013 at 13:30

@lion.ie:
          We are work in progress still. As for style of play , it's evolving slowly. I don't know why attendances are dwindling , clearly people are voting with their feet. As for your comment about me appearing to be happy about lomas jackett comparisons , I'm a bit uncomfortable with you making a judgement on my emotions. But hey hi , some people on here get very involved. I for one have to read my former posts again as I've no idea what I said. It's not life changing , let's all relax a bit and grow a tolerance threshold.

• November 27, 2013 at 18:42

@Block 8: Sorry, really don't know what you are going on about now? Emotions? Never mind.

• November 27, 2013 at 19:28

@Block 8: @lion.ie:
          Emotions , meaning you said I was happy in your post from 26/11 at 21-46. Happiness is an emotion. Are you with me now ? You commented on me personally rather than my opinion at that point. That's all.
          We all have an opinion and should be able to express without being scrutinised or judged. It's a bit of pointless fun on here , nothing more nothing less.
          Best wishes

• November 27, 2013 at 23:51

@Block 8: Are you fkin serious? Like I said. Never mind.

• November 26, 2013 at 22:53

@lion.ie: yes and we nearly got reagated.

• November 26, 2013 at 23:48

@jim1222: Jim, I purchased my season ticket as I have done for many years in March/ April, as soon as possible. It's in my blood and I'm sure that I want the same end result as your good self. Like I have stated in an earlier post it wouldn't be a forum if we all agreed.

Whilst I respect some things you say, I too am entitled to an opinion. I'm not sorry if it differs from yours cos that's life.

I enjoy reading all of the posts on here negative or critical, so you continue as will I, and every now and then we will have to agree to disagree.

• November 26, 2013 at 23:53

@bonnie1272: that should read negative or positive,

• November 27, 2013 at 07:37

@jim1222: No idea what your point is there.

• November 26, 2013 at 20:18

O' Brien and marquis both start for their respective loan clubs. Good move for nith

• November 26, 2013 at 23:09

Have read all the posts on here tonight covering a lot of topics.
    I think what we all have to get to grips with is that tonight, Charlton who are down the bottom with us played Doncaster-not exactly a clash of the titans- and had over 14,000 for that game. I really don't think that the catchment area for SE7 is and larger than SE14 so what's the difference?

• November 26, 2013 at 23:49

@NICKOLA: I heard there was a special pre Christmas sale on train spotting books, thermos flasks, Tupperware and anoraks.

May explain it.

• November 27, 2013 at 07:44

@NICKOLA: Crowd was down just over 10% on equivalent fixture last year Nick and that was played on the last shopping weekend before Xmas. How's that for a comparison?

• November 27, 2013 at 07:45

@lion.ie: To be clear, I mean our Barnsley home fixture.

• November 27, 2013 at 08:51

An all important clean sheet so rejoice, rejoice...

• November 27, 2013 at 09:58

It is all about opinions so it's healthy to listens to people views. I enjoy reading everyone's comments unless they get personal. I am optimistic by nature but that doesn't mean that I cant appreciate someone's view because it may seem negative. If people are calling it how they see it then that's fine and how it should be. All non personal views are very welcome and I will enjoy reading all our different views.

• November 27, 2013 at 11:45

I am not sitting on the fence at all but I do somehow sit in the middle of these opposing view points. As far as I see it we done enough to get a result against Barnsley, we got the 3 points and that was important. How many times have we played teams in the lower half of this division and lost, but they ground out a win through hard work and by riding their luck. However, we played awful... there is no other way of putting it, we looked like we wasn't up for it, everyone was off the pace, second to the ball and lacking in confidence. There were a couple exceptions, bailey, macdonald, waghorn and chaplow all ran themselves into the ground but without any end product.
    This Moussi I personally thought was the worst player on the pitch, BUT THAT IS ONLY MY OPINION. I thought he was big, slow, scared to tackle, struggled to run, pass and looked uncomfortable everytime he was on the ball... it was like playing Shittu in midfield. Obviously Lomas didn't think he had a great game as he only said he was 'satisfied' with his performance. I do not believe that being new in a team can be used as an excuse as surely the fundamentals are the same no matter what team you play for.
    On the positive note, I am not in the Lomas out brigade... YET, but also am not a fan at the moment, although I will support him and the team to the end. I do believe that he has got us playing better football in general, and I see him screaming instructions at the players every game, which they completely choose to ignore. I think he has got some of his selections wrong, but that comes with being new to this team and division. He does want us to play football on the floor and that is a good thing as many times this season we have seen it pay off and we have looked good. I was a KJ fan but he obviously fled the scene of the crime knowing that this year was going to be a huge struggle, knowing that what he had left us with was not good enough and Lomas has stepped in and is trying to steady a sinking ship. The good news here is that there are 4/5 teams that are worse than us as we 'should' be able to pick up enough points to stay above them, and in this division.

• November 27, 2013 at 18:01

@glenbur: good points glen. Last year there was also four or five teams worse than us, but I turned out there were only 3 just. I hope we don't go that close again.

• November 27, 2013 at 22:48

Ironic isn't it? We manage to beat teams with a rusty squad yet lose with an injury free one!

• November 28, 2013 at 00:16

On the subject of Moussi, surely it's a bit premature to be passing judgments. I thought he had some decent moments and some other moments when he looked a touch ponderous. But this is a player who had played very little football this season so that's hardly surprising; let's just wait and see.

But could I share a wonderful comment I overheard in the toilet at half time: "that Moussi, all he does is pass to someone!" I'm guessing that the bloke having a pee wouldn't be keen on us signing Iniesta or Ozil then.....