Millwall keeper eyes run of clean sheets after Barnsley win

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

DAVID Forde hopes the clean sheet Millwall kept against Barnsley last Saturday will prove to be the first of many over the coming months.

Forde made two excellent saves to keep out close-range efforts from Jacob Mellis and Scott Wiseman and help the Lions record their first shutout in seven league games.

At the other end, Wiseman headed in a 77th-minute own goal to settle a scrappy affair.

"I had a bit to do," Forde said. "I was happy with the save from Mellis when he was one-on-one – I managed to spread myself and make an important stop just before the break.

"It was just fantastic to get another clean sheet again. I am delighted with that. It was a difficult game where both sides were trying to find their rhythm but never really got going.

"Myself and the back four pride ourselves on keeping clean sheets and we haven't had enough of them. We have kind of gone the other side of the pole where we've been more expansive attacking-wise but leaving ourselves a bit open.

"Mark Beevers coming back gives us a bit of balance to the left-hand side. Sometimes he doesn't get the credit he deserves but I thought he was excellent on Saturday.

"We have played very well this season and got nothing for it, so it is nice to win ugly for a change. It was important to open up a gap between ourselves and Barnsley, especially as in previous years they've been a bogey side for us."

Forde believes Millwall now need to strike a balance between http://vhealthportal.com/product-category/skincare/ defence and attack.

"We got criticised last season for not being attractive enough," he added. "The manager has come in, given us his ideas and we've tried to play a bit more.

"We've been involved in some entertaining games but that's been to our own detriment. The lads have worked hard over the past couple of weeks and the priority was to keep a clean sheet first and foremost.

"Since I've been at Millwall, whenever we have done well it has been based on a lot of clean sheets, so we're hoping we can go on a run of them."

Having been strongly linked with a move to Celtic in the week leading up to the Tykes game, Forde was given a warm reception by the crowd before kick off.

And he insists the uncertainty surrounding his future will not become a distraction.

He said: "It was massive for me to get that kind of reception before the game. I have a lot of respect for the fans and I think it's a mutual thing.

"I spoke to the club about my contract a couple of weeks ago and I'm just waiting for them to get back to me. Hopefully we can get something sorted.

"When you're playing well you're always going to attract interest, aren't you? I'm playing well at the moment for club and country so I'm just happy with my form. I'm concentrating on each game and I'm not looking beyond Leicester next weekend.

"It's part of the game. I suppose it's a bit different when you're more experienced, you can deal with speculation a lot easier."

9 thoughts on “Millwall keeper eyes run of clean sheets after Barnsley win

• November 25, 2013 at 09:18

Our back four now settled and hopefully can stay that way! And they all seem to compliment eachother and offer the system Lomas plays too! Hoyte and Malone get forward and allows the wide men to cut in and get a shot. Pleased that Lomas was willing to change the game plan and it paid off when he brought Feeney and Moro on. Feel like we missed Trotter big time on Saturday but the most important thing is we got the result we all wanted and so badly needed.

Roll on Leicester away.. (Please wall!) 😉 COYL!

• November 25, 2013 at 09:29

At the risk of getting shot down in flames, I can sympathise with Barnsley (to a certain extent). They suffered the kind of luck usually reserved for us !! ....Just read that Wright has TWO years contract left, yet Forde has only a few months. The term 'a*** upwards' springs to mind !

• November 25, 2013 at 13:04

@frank: could it be jacket is at fault for that or is lomas gonna get the blame from the anti lomas brigade.

• November 25, 2013 at 20:48

@jim1222: Geeze, I doubt that KJ actually did any negotiating with players, so the divot responsible must still be at the club !

• November 25, 2013 at 10:18

Our first shutout in seven games? Just as well they scored an own-touchdown at the other end too.

• November 25, 2013 at 10:25

On another note-

I see that Marquis has now gone on loan to Torquay for a month.

• November 25, 2013 at 15:03

now that's a real millwall player! well done forde whatever happens you have my respect and im pretty sure everyone elses i hope to god you stay . but if not then i wish you every success , you deserve it , let's hope this is one of many clean sheets while you're still here .

• November 25, 2013 at 17:43

@steveomfc5: agree with this steve fordey has been a great servant to the club over the years and i think we would really miss him should he go remember the start to the season? I hope he stays but i wouldn`t begrudge him the chance to make a few quid at celtic

• November 25, 2013 at 18:15

@bazzer: he has indeed. i'd be gutted if he went , but like ya say couldn't begrudge him for it the man has been up front and honest with us what more can we ask for ? it was his boyhood dream to play for celtic , so if he goes i wouldn't blame him , whoever doesn't respect him if he does is not a real millwall fan to be honest . i just f****** hope we're not stuck with bysexual ,bywater,bywanker , what ever ya wanna call him coz we will be in non league before ya know it with him between the sticks lol