Celtic fan Forde thrilled to be linked with boyhood club

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

DAVID Forde has admitted he is thrilled to be linked with a move to Celtic – the club he has supported since he was a boy.

The Millwall hierarchy conceded on Thursday that they face an uphill task to convince the goalkeeper to extend his Lions contract, which expires next summer.

And, speaking in the Scottish Sun, Forde says joining the Glasgow side would be "special".

He is quoted as saying: "To be linked with a club like Celtic is amazing. I grew up supporting them and just to be associated with them has given me a lift. It's very flattering.

"I know what Celtic means as a club and globally. It's a great, great club. So, yes, to be part of that would be special.

"Packie Bonner was one of my heroes for Celtic and Ireland. To get the chance to follow in his footsteps, to even get close, would be fantastic.

"At the moment I'm not aware of any interest from them or any other club. But I've a big decision to make. It's a very important stage of my career.

"I am playing for my country and that has been fantastic. I am enjoying good form at the moment and things are going well.

"It's a case of waiting to see what happens over the coming months.

"Steve Lomas has said he wants me to stay. I'm under contract to Millwall and until anything changes I'll continue to do my best for them."

"Millwall has been fantastic for me. If I were to leave I'd be really indebted to the club."

23 thoughts on “Celtic fan Forde thrilled to be linked with boyhood club

• November 21, 2013 at 11:47

Whatever he decides to do for me Forde will always be a Wall legend. From coming in and having his doubters and to win them over and just better himself as a player. The perfect textbook for any players that come into wall in the future.

• November 21, 2013 at 11:52

oh well so it sounds very much like Fordey is on his way, at least we have time to target a quality replacement

• November 21, 2013 at 11:53

this whole scenario could have been avoided had the board actually got their behinds in gear and started contract negotiations a lot earlier. Why leave it until 6 month before a contract runs out for Trotter, Forde and others and still have it up in the air.

This will be Chris Taylor all over again but to a lot worse detriment to the team,

• November 21, 2013 at 12:00

Sounds like his epitaph to me.

• November 21, 2013 at 12:36

he'll be gone in january ! then made a permanent deal in the summer . i f****** hope we replace him but can't see it, we're done for if we think bywanker can do anything . sorta given up now clubs a f****** joke at the moment , players unhappy , fans unhappy, chairman an stubborn yank, manager a clueless muppet . this season is only gonna end one way don't think i need to spell it out to anyone.

• November 21, 2013 at 12:39

@steveomfc5: Looking forward to United away then! 😀

• November 21, 2013 at 12:44

@steveomfc5: Mid table finish 8 points from relegation, thats my prediction for this season.

• November 21, 2013 at 15:39

@glyngo: mine was similar 8 weeks ago but i have lost all hope and optimism now sorry 🙁

• November 21, 2013 at 12:45

We'll put four past Barnsley on Saturday.....and still win.
      Cheer up !

@steveomfc5:

• November 21, 2013 at 15:40

@NICKOLA: wish i shared your belief, sorry but i can't see anything but a loss , they can't handle the pressure .

• November 21, 2013 at 16:04

@Omer Ronayne: @steveomfc5: i think its you who cant handle the pressure steve come we cant do much more than be positive about the situation,look at it this way some fans who were thinking of going to the barnsley game read yours and other pessimistic posts,say to themselves why bother and dont go.There may only be 2 or3 do that but thats 40 to 60 quid the club has lost

• November 21, 2013 at 13:00

Been fantastic for us and I really hope he stays but no one could begrudge him a move to Celtic.

• November 21, 2013 at 17:15

@NICKOLA: @Steve: no body would I'm sure, but even I'd he just signed a year extension we would get a fee. Now he goes for nothing

This sort of business is poor for a club who need every morsel.

• November 21, 2013 at 14:00

LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY FORDEY OLD SON. GOOD LUCK MATE YOU HAVE BEEN A GOOD SERVANT FOR US I WISH U ALL THE BEST WHATEVER U DECIDE.

• November 21, 2013 at 14:57

It will take a miracle for us to avoid relegation this season because by the Summer of 2014 there will be hardly any of the existing squad left at the club. Forde, Lowry and Trotter won't renew their contracts and will be gone before then. Waghorn, Hoyte and Moussi will have finished their loan periods. Marshall and Connolly's contracts won't be renewed. Henry and Feeney will have moved on and Morison's loan period will have expired. Easter and Martin are on 1 year contracts. Smith, Wright and Osborne might have moved on leaving us with the bare bones. Sorry,how can I say that when Shittu will still be here!!!
    's

• November 21, 2013 at 16:07

@jim1222: @denslions: lets shut the club down now shall we,do you honstly think the managment do not have other irons in the fire.

• November 21, 2013 at 17:16

@jim1222: unfortunately Jim, it appears that it is the numerous irons we should worry about!

• November 21, 2013 at 15:16

Cheers fordy you have done us proud mate if celtic do come a knocking and you go then all the best mate and very big thank you.
    I wonder if David james wants a job cos lomas might go after him now lol

• November 21, 2013 at 15:30

Well Forde has made his mind up by the way he's speaking, Might as well let him go in the January window and find another before the summer as Bywater is pants
    Bye Mr Forde
    Hello Mr ??????

• November 21, 2013 at 15:49

Forde, if you do go, I wish you well.
    However, apart from playing for your 'boyhood club' and also in 'Europe', why would you what to play in that Micky Mouse League.
    You wouldn't even have a decent derby game to look forward to.
    I'd rather play football in the MLS than in Scotland !!

• November 22, 2013 at 09:50

Please don't let him go cheaply Mr Berrylson, we always sell our players cheaply hold out for the best deal!!!!

• November 22, 2013 at 13:14

@leemark: he will be out of contract and go for nothing Lee.