Forde unlikely to stay at Millwall if Celtic table contract

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MILLWALL will not be able to stand in David Forde's way if Scottish champions Celtic come calling, Den chiefs have admitted.

Bhoys manager Neil Lennon has this week been strongly linked with a move for the Lions goalkeeper.

Celtic reportedly want Forde to replace England's Fraser Forster if he leaves for a top European side next summer.

Forde has held talks with Millwall about extending his contract, which expires in June 2014, and the 33-year-old has said he "would love to stay" in south London.

But chairman John Berylson said: "If someone offers David an enormous amount of money I cannot do anything about that. He's number one for Ireland and has done an excellent job for us.

"Given the financial rules that are now in place, there is only so much money we can offer our players. David is one of the higher-paid players in the squad, so he isn't getting beat up, but if in fact he wants to go elsewhere, to a top club, he would still be someone I have enormous respect and admiration for.

"We will try our hardest to sign him up but if someone offers him £25,000-a-week, then it's pretty unlikely that we will be able to."

Chief executive Andy Ambler added: "We've sat down with Fordey and told him we want him to stay, and we'll be speaking to him again over the coming period.

"That said, the reality is if a Champions League club is coming in and going to offer him a contract, we're not going to be able to match that.

"At the moment David is still very much a Millwall player and committed to us. Celtic is arguably one of the biggest clubs in world football – they play Champions League football and Fordey is ambitious.

"If it comes to nothing, we absolutely want David to stay at this club and we are planning for the future with him in mind."

25 thoughts on “Forde unlikely to stay at Millwall if Celtic table contract

• November 21, 2013 at 09:04

Just so much wrong doing by the club in this scenario. The same happened last season when we gave Shittu a two year deal! And a considerable pay slip too. Makes you wonder what these fools on the board get up to!

• November 21, 2013 at 12:58

@Omer Ronayne: Not really sure what you mean - I think we all wanted Shittu to be offered a new contract in the summer, especially as non of us were sure about whether Robbo could return. There is nothing in this interview that is not normal. The only dissapointment last season was the Chris Taylor situation but that was down to the manager at the time.

• November 21, 2013 at 13:23

@Steve: Shittu was left to last minute and got what he wanted. Not what the club wanted, this is what happens when you leave everything till late..

• November 21, 2013 at 18:41

@Steve: Love these posters that speak for us 'all'. Shittu was never much good, probably our worst ever Player of the Season, in my memory in any case.

• November 21, 2013 at 09:32

I can't see what has been done wrong to be honest, Celtic come calling for an Irish international, was there everr going to be another outcome? If he is to leave, at least the management team have time to find a decent replacement as it is clear that Sullivan is questionable at this level.

• November 21, 2013 at 09:35

@glyngo: John Sullivan is at charlton do you mean bywater?

• November 21, 2013 at 09:50

@TheBermondseyBomber: I did mean Bywater though mate, I was dissapointed by his performances when he got his chance. I expected that a player of his experience would have been much more solid than he was. He seemed slow to react, unsure on crosses and distribution was erratic. Forde can't seriously feel under threat with Bywater behind him in the pecking order.

• November 21, 2013 at 10:05

@glyngo: I'm with you mate Bywater looked lost between the sticks for us! Don't even think his worthy of a back up spot!

• November 21, 2013 at 09:34

I find this hilarious!! Do we all really believe that Glasgow Celtic couldn't do better than Forde?!? Don't get me wrong Fordey is great for us but with the resources Celtic have they could quite easily go and sign a number of goalkeepers currently playing at a higher level and at 33 I can't see any club offering Forde £25k a week!! Crazy talk!!

• November 21, 2013 at 09:46

@TheBermondseyBomber: that's a good point, but he is an Intl player and at 33 I would imagine they are thinking of him as a short term cover for a long term target to replace him. Forde is playing better than ever at the moment so these are likely to be the best years of his career, at least until he hits his late thirties.

• November 21, 2013 at 10:08

@glyngo: he is an international but personally I think now that Westwood is playing at Sunderland and O'Neill obviously rates him since he's the one that bought him for Sunderland - I think he'll be number 1 for Ireland under the new management! I just can't see it this is Celtic we're talking about the same Celtic that always give Barcelona a good game!!

• November 21, 2013 at 09:50

Forde in place of Fraser.Too stupid for words.If I was a Celtic supporter and that happened,I would ask for my season ticket to be refunded.

• November 21, 2013 at 09:58

@Longfield Lion:

That seems a bit harsh, The standard other than Celtic is Championship level at best and it not like he is going to have to do a great deal.

I'd worry about him in the Champions League but he did keep a clean sheet against Italy and was MOM against Germany

He has been the best Millwall keeper since Keller and if he can get a big pay day at 33 good luck to him

• November 21, 2013 at 10:10

@spicerack: If can get a good payday at 33 then good luck to him.And he has improved recently I must admit.But if Celtic cannot find a younger/better keeper to replace Forster,then I would be shocked.

• November 21, 2013 at 10:11

@Longfield Lion: Never been Forde's biggest fan, but I'm sure the vast majority of Celtic supporters knowledge of Forde is based on is Ireland form. As Longfield says, he's stood out in most matches, particularly Italy and Germany, amongst recent clean sheets vs. Poland etc.
      Still, what grates me is the club's inability to sign up senior players on new contracts. No one should come within 6-9 months of their contract, unless you want to get rid.
      ps. I preferred Denzil.

• November 21, 2013 at 10:50

With the new FFP rules, unless we get bigger gates than 9-10k, we are always going to lose our better players to higher wage deals. If we can get a few quid in January fair enough, but he's going to go so I am sure the club are looking at alternatives. Whoever comes in will be scrutinised by our 'fans' and I wouldn't like to be in their shoes. Bryan King was my favourite by the way.

• November 21, 2013 at 11:09

Agree that King was the best goalkeeper seen in Millwall colours.
      I like to think that given we are overhauling the scouting system as reported, that we will still actually have 'scouts' out and about and presently looking at goalkeepers. If Forde gets injured, Bywater is no replacement, even in the short term.

@beedoscores:

• November 21, 2013 at 16:40

@NICKOLA: Kasey kellar is the best keeper ive seen at the den what era was king at wall?

• November 22, 2013 at 19:35

@NICKOLA:
        Keller and King were both extremely good (although King wasn't at his best with crosses he was still miles better than Forde).

But easily the best was Alex Stepney

• November 21, 2013 at 13:17

Bryan King - Yes indeedy! The best Millwall keeper I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Pat Cuff ... the worst, by some margin in my book.

As for Fordey - good luck to him! He's been a great servant to the club, and I wouldn't begrudge him a move to a great club like Celtic. Got to remember people, this is all speculation at the moment, irrespective of who's quoted as saying what. Also, bear in mind that IF Celtic hang onto Forster, then they wouldn't really still be in the market for Fordey ... would they? Or would they? i.e. as a quality no 2? Would Fordey go as a no 2 I wonder? Listen up - 25k a WEEK ... to all of us writing here I deny ANY of you to pass up that sort of money!! I'd go tomorrow, I'm telling you.

• November 21, 2013 at 15:26

Finlayson, Stepney, King, Davies, Leslie, were all far better than Forde IMO. Good luck to him if Celtic put in a bid ----- But they aint yet to my knowledge ----- Millwall aren't going to be able to pay anthing like a top team so he will go if an offer comes in
    What happens next ---- We'd spend the income on another keeper, as Bywater aint in the same class as some poorer keepers Millwall have had Gambril, Cuff, Brewer, Morgan, Jackson, Goddard and others who were so bad I dont recall their names
    Seems like a total rebuild again this summer is due.
    More debt, more discontent, ???????

• November 22, 2013 at 19:39

@aeojt:
      OTOH Leslie couldn't see more than 15 yards at most and always struggled with shots from a distance - but he was possibly the bravest I've seen when it came to diving at a forward's feet and a good shot-stopper at close range.

And to be fair Brian Gambrill only played twice (although I can still remember that dreadful Peterborough game) - we had a whole season of that plank of wood Cuff.