Midfielder Trotter relaxed ahead of Millwall contract talks

©
©

LIAM Trotter is happy to discuss a new Millwall contract – and insists he has not given any thought to a move elsewhere.

The Lions want to get the midfielder, who has been a standout performer in recent matches, tied down to a new deal before the New Year – as first revealed by NewsAtDen.

And Trotter said: "It's nice that the club want to offer me a new contract and I'm happy to sit down and discuss it. Hopefully we will come to an agreement. I'm relaxed about it.

"No matter who you are or which club you are playing for, if you have ambitions to play at a higher level you are only going to get there by playing regularly anyway. But I don't think about wanting to go here or there, I'm at Millwall and I'm enjoying it.

"As far as I'm concerned, I cannot worry about my contract because that's only going to have a negative effect on me. The most important thing for me is to get my head down and try to do my best every time I play – if I do that, things will work out okay for me."

Kenny Jackett tried and failed on several occasions to extend Trotter's contract but the 25-year-old has nothing but thanks for his former manager.

"I was happy under Kenny," he said. "When I first came to the club I was a young lad from Ipswich with a handful of games under my belt, whereas now I'm pushing 200 games in the Championship and that is largely down to the fact that Kenny picked me so often.

"I have no gripes with the previous manager but I am happy under the new manager. I'm happy as long as I'm playing."

Trotter is working towards reaching boss Steve Lomas's ten-goal target for the season – and he has already found the back of the net three times.

"The manager played in the Premier League in my position so I'm going to listen to anything he has to say," Trotter said. "He's set me a target and I hope to reach it. But if I set up 20 or 30 goals and didn't score again this season, I'd be just as happy."

9 thoughts on “Midfielder Trotter relaxed ahead of Millwall contract talks

• November 14, 2013 at 10:06

Sign up Trotter. Even if worst ways we lose you at least we will get a decent fee if you have a longer contract. I think that you could play at a lot higher level. You are without doubt the best footballer at our club in my humble opinion. Get your pen out Trotter and get your money out Berylson.

• November 14, 2013 at 10:17

@wall2wall: I wish that he would start playing at a higher level for us, IMO he never puts in a shift, I await the drl boy fan club response!!

• November 14, 2013 at 10:30

@Barnlion:
        It's all about opinions mate. None of us are gonna see everything the same. I am personally hoping big time that we keep him. I think he puts in plenty of decent shifts and would be gutted if we lose him.

• November 14, 2013 at 10:16

I have my doubts that his performances are going to earn him a contract that he'd be demanding, Since his period of injuries he's not been a patch on the Trotter of the past, so therefore I'm prepared for his departure.

• November 14, 2013 at 11:18

Liam is by any call the best midfield player in the club and certainly must be amongst the best 10 midfielders in the Championship. He is vital to the clubs survival in this league and I hope and pray he signs a new and improved contract. Those critical of him are blind to his talents, he is a play maker, he creates chances plays the ball to feet and scores. The better the players around him the better he becomes. Keep with Millwall Liam, we need you.

• November 14, 2013 at 11:47

@Peckhamlad: Peckham,
      I can assure you that I am not blind to his talentmate and with regard to 1 of the top 10 midfield players in this dive I agree expect for I would prefix it with "could" I am of the opinion that he has the ability and the talent to do as you and many others have siad in the past as well.

But for me he never seems to have a game when he bosses the middle of the park and always looks not fully fit, he also gets knocked of the ball too easily for my licking for a big fella, and as Lomas has pointed out to him his goal ration is not good enough.

I would be the first to say well done and I was wrong if he did put in these matching winning preformances and to be at the top of the game they have be done regually not just once and a while. regarding the players around him well thats what he has to work with mate, or is that an excuse.

• November 14, 2013 at 12:51

He's mustard and seems like a decent fella I think he will sign.

• November 15, 2013 at 06:27

@benzo: I would say he's like marmite as opposed to mustard.

• November 16, 2013 at 18:52

Easily our best midfielder, big loss if he don't sign. If he goes only then will the morons who say he is lazy, realise how much he brings to our team. I sometimes wonder if our fans have football brains, or just want 11 headless chickens on the pitch who run around pointlessly.