Striker role could be key to Millwall's Waghorn deal hopes

©
©

MARTYN Waghorn has admitted his Millwall future could hinge on whether he gets the chance to play as a central striker.

Manager Steve Lomas told NewsAtDen last month that he wants to sign the Leicester City loanee on a permanent basis in the January transfer window.

Waghorn is settled in south London and enjoying being a regular in the Lions side – but he wants to play through the middle instead of out on the flanks.

In recent weeks, Lomas has used Waghorn on the right side of a three-pronged forward line.

And the former England U21 international said: "It is important that I play as a central striker and I wouldn't sign somewhere knowing that I was going to be played out of position, because that's not going to be beneficial for me in the long run.

"I came to play as many games as possible but unfortunately I am being played out wide, which is not my natural position and I am still learning to play there. Ideally I'd like to play up front but, with the formation that we're playing and the players that we've got, that seems to suit the team.

"Having said that, it is just as important that I go somewhere where I'm going to be playing regularly until the end of the season and for the next couple of years after that.

"I am at an important stage of my career so I need to be starting games and kicking on in my career. January is going to be a big month for me so I need to make the right decision."

The 23-year-old has been an instant hint with Millwall fans during the first two months of his loan spell, which ends after the trip to Blackburn Rovers on December 14.

But, as the Lions prepare to enter negotiations with the Foxes about a permanent deal, Waghorn insists his long-term future is still up in the air.

"I am keeping my options open," he said. "January is six weeks away so for the time being I'm focused on staying in the team and playing as much as I can. What happens in January will take care of itself when the time comes.

"I am just happy playing games and being involved in the team week in, week out. There's a good set of lads here and a togetherness in the squad. If and when the chance arrives to talk to Millwall about something permanent we'll take it from there, but nothing concrete has been mentioned to me as yet.

"I have got an apartment in Bromley and my son and girlfriend are both living with me. It's nice that I've got my family with me and it helps having them around when I come home from training, because my life isn't just about football. I can switch off with my family and it really makes a difference having them with me."

13 thoughts on “Striker role could be key to Millwall's Waghorn deal hopes

• November 14, 2013 at 09:20

Sounds a bit worrying, lets hope it can be resolved by the club before minds are made up, he is only with us for another 4 weeks.

• November 14, 2013 at 10:11

I like Waghorn but I fear he's not going to get what he wishes and thats only going to see him go to pastures new at the nd of his loan period becauseMillwall are not going to agree to his demands

• November 14, 2013 at 10:28

Give him what he wants, we know he can deliver

• November 14, 2013 at 10:29

Looks like a smoking gun to me.

• November 14, 2013 at 10:30

Think we should be giving the lad a chance up front because with the exception of Mcdonald nobody else is doing it!! Can't see us signing him though - who wants to play for a side that can only win one game in five?!?!

• November 14, 2013 at 10:36

When Morison goes back we will need a central striker, give the lad what he wants we need him far more than he needs us. Seems a proper Millwall type always puts in a shift is young and has bags of skill and potential. No brainer.

• November 14, 2013 at 11:11

@Sealion: Sealion,
      That will not happen until the end of the season and how often has morro played since he came back to us on loan, not enough to worry Waghorn, but as usual Lomas likes to play people out wide expect wingers who he seems to not want any at the club.

• November 14, 2013 at 12:38

Seems like a bit of history repeating itself here. Replace Wood with Waghorn and then put poxy Leicester in the mix again and we end up with naff all. He's making all the right noises about how his family are settled here and what a great bunch of lads they are at the club etc, etc. but would he really want to come to us? With a home gate of 10,000 and what seems like a constant threat of relegation I personally don't think we'll see him in a Lions shirt after December 14. Martyn, prove me wrong – please!

• November 14, 2013 at 12:45

If he performs better than McDonald I'm sure he will get his chance but at the moment he's not.

• November 14, 2013 at 13:29

no chance we're gonna end up getting him i can pretty much guarantee it , leicester will want a decent amount for him as it is and if that ginger prik ain't gonna play up in a central position then we have no hope. Plus why would he want to sign for a team that wins 3 out of 16 LOOOOOOOOOOOL let's get real , the only reaso we got the decent players we have is coz lomas has fed em the same B.S he did to berlyson and ambler to get the job in the first place.

• November 14, 2013 at 13:39

I agree with everyone's thoughts here. Waghorn is on his way next. Probably got his agent speaking to other clubs as I type.

• November 14, 2013 at 19:44

I am a Millwall fan through and through and have been reading this site daily for some time now! I am neither a Lomas lover or Hater! He is currently the man in charge of the team I love and I want him and wish him to do well, for me, my club and all the other people just like me who love Millwall!
    We have a large percentage of our squad of players of very good quality in comparison to most previous seasons I can remember over the past 20 years! This has, whether people agree or not, only come about since Lomas has taken charge and got these players in! (Yes he's got in a few football league O.A.P's) to which I am certainly not in favour of! But in general has gathered a squad of players of a very high standard who at times this season have played very well as a team and individually! We have also conceded some very poor results a little too often! Hence the constant moaning and slagging on this site!
    If you do read this site Mr Lomas all I ask is 'Please just pick a side and stick with it, that means keeping those in that team in the SAME position for more than one game'
    Yes we have injury's, suspensions etc. BUT we have a large enough squad of high enough quality to have a replacement for almost every position! That is some squad to have for little old Millwall. Please just play your left backs left back, play your wingers on the wing and for F*** sake play young Waggy where he knows how and wants to play! Then see how we go, as it certainly is going too well chopping and changing every 2 minutes as you are now!
    One more thing 'come on you lions'!!!!

Keep positive and we will start producing! That's a fact!!!!

• November 14, 2013 at 19:46

One more thing 'come on you lions'!!!!

Keep positive and we will start producing! That's a fact!!!!