Lomas: Millwall missed McDonald's invention against Bolton

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

SCOTT McDonald's creativity in the final third was a major miss for Millwall at Bolton on Saturday, according to boss Steve Lomas.

McDonald broke down in training on Thursday and failed a fitness test ahead of the Lions' 3-1 defeat at the Reebok Stadium.

His replacement, Jermaine Easter, briefly hauled the visitors level with his second goal in as many appearances, but Lomas admitted McDonald was sorely missed.

"Jermaine came in, did well and scored his goal but you are always going to miss a quality player like Scott," he said. "He's got that bit of invention and maybe in that second half he might have been able to open something up.

"Bolton were sitting deep on their 18 yard line and Scotty's invention in and around the box might have made a different, but he wasn't playing so we just had to get on with it.

"He's just tweaked his hamstring but we don't think it's a serious one – we hope not."

The only positive on a miserable afternoon up north was the return of three injured players.

Lomas said: "We are getting a few back – Lee Martin, Richard Chaplow and Mark Beevers – which is a positive because it gives us more bodies to work with.

"We were thinking about starting Beevers but we felt the two boys at centre back had done well in the last three games and we wanted to make sure that Mark was fully over his injury.

"We did not want him to break down with the international break coming up, so it was a judgement call."

59 thoughts on “Lomas: Millwall missed McDonald's invention against Bolton

• November 11, 2013 at 09:22

'We felt the two boys at centre back had done well in the last three games'
    A statement of unbelievable incompetence.

• November 12, 2013 at 18:15

@NICKOLA: so draws against QPR Reading and Burnley was not a good performance from our centre backs. ... I don't know why you bother posting such rubbish.

• November 12, 2013 at 19:15

You've got your opinion and I've got mine.
        38 agreed with me.
        Case closed.

@Lincolnshire Lion:

• November 11, 2013 at 09:39

Really like macdonald always puts a good shift in, but he's a bit like darius Henderson plays three games then is injured for two, basically a sick note!!!
    Also how can SL say the centre backs have done well in the three previous games when they haven't even kept a clean sheet! Beevers and Lowry as a pairing for the must win game against Barnsley!

• November 11, 2013 at 09:41

How many excuses does SL need? The ref was against us, we were missing this player & that, it was raining, the wrong type of snow, points failure at Crewe - yawn. I can't believe we're even bothering to read his comments anymore. During the close season, and despite my reservations on his appointment, I thought he spoke a great deal of sense and I decided to give SL the benefit of the doubt. Sadly, 15 league games later with just 3 wins, he's still trying to blind us with the excuses of a man who clearly doesn't know what he's doing. He's still tinkering with the team, formation etc and I, for one, can't see us progressing upward under his guidance & it's time he went. There are several unemployed managers out there with the necessary experience to get our decent squad of players to mid-table at least.

• November 11, 2013 at 09:51

There have been players missing, Beevers, Chaplow and Martin. Beevers has been missed and I haven't seen enough of Martin to form an opinion. Chaplow is a good footballer but when he is fit he plays him out on the wing for reasons that are beyond me.
      Centre mid is Bailey, Trotter, Abdou, Chaplow, Woolford and no right winger unless we count Feeney, and personally I wouldn't even have him at the club.
      Two up front and the midfield is diluted. One up front and still no viable right winger.
      If we don't beat Barnsley then I think he'll have to go because if we can't beat them them, we're in real trouble for the rest of the season.
      @Bolland:

• November 11, 2013 at 10:04

@NICKOLA: Henry has gone & Feeney has all but gone and that says that SL does not want proper wingers but right & left sided midfielders. That's fair enough but then what's the point of having a target man when the ball isn't played in from the wings but through the middle? He's had 17 matches in total to form, in his mind, our 1st 11 and playing formations, home & away, and still seems in the dark as to the merits of his squad. I accept that the Barnsley game is his last chance but what if we lose 1-0 to a dodgy penalty? I think we can all write what SL will say. I want the man to be honest & say that he's out of his depth and should go now before we're back in the bottom 3.

• November 11, 2013 at 10:08

If we don't beat Barnsley we will be in the bottom three.

@Bolland:

• November 11, 2013 at 10:13

@NICKOLA: Haha, very true. Let's hope we beat Barnsley and can turn the corner but right now I'm not convinced that we can under SL.

• November 11, 2013 at 17:16

@NICKOLA:
            Why is it @NICKOLA: well we drew against 2 good sides so they must have done ok in the last 2 games.

• November 11, 2013 at 13:41

@NICKOLA: The club has brought in Morison, Waghorn, Easter and McDonald. Even if he doesn't fancy Keogh, there's a relative wealth of other options up front.

Some of these excuses, including biased referees (so what's new) are getting a bit lame. We're currently in the same position we finished at the end of last season. There have been signs of progress, but likewise there's been poor results that I don't think Kenny would have had.

I'd like to give Lomas a proper chance - he might come good, but can we afford to wait that long? We're in danger of getting dragged into the bottom three and we'll be lucky if there's over 8000 at the Den against Barnsley.

• November 11, 2013 at 10:17

spurs have lost a key player in bale spurs have made 8 or 9 new signings and spurs are only 1 point off the top 4 in the prem so i don't wanna hear no more B.S excuses with the squad we have got we should be able to miss 3 or 4 players and still go get results it's just not good enough ill support the lions through thick n thin but we're losing so many on the gate at home this year and even more away this lomas / millwall thing just isn't going to f****** work might as well face up to facts get rid and fix it quickly coz we're a sinking ship that will be capsized in league 1 next year if not i am fed up of all this doom and gloom as soon as we get something a bit positive to shout about it's immediately zapped the week after and now we have another shitty international break to stew over it and NOT fix bugger all in training just pick up more injuries club is fast becoming a laughing stock , we look ridiculous at the present moment .

• November 11, 2013 at 10:54

@steveomfc5: Spurs just lost 1-0 at home to Newcastle and are going through a poor spell after a great start so perhaps they now need a new manager.lol

• November 11, 2013 at 11:07

@Sealion: Maybe AA could organise a swap with spurs taking SL & we get AVB, sounds good to me.

• November 11, 2013 at 15:40

@Sealion: difference is there at the top of the prem and we're at the bottom of the championship and sliding fast .

• November 11, 2013 at 14:00

@steveomfc5: That has got to be the single longest sentence in history 🙂

• November 11, 2013 at 15:44

@robsep2b: to angry for spelling , grammar or punctuation i typed that with my forehead .

• November 11, 2013 at 14:25

@steveomfc5: difference with spurs is they were already a top 5 club prior to bale leaving and new signings and are currently 7th. We were one of the worst 5 and still are. So I make us slightly better than spurs at the moment as they've got worse and were the same. 😉

• November 11, 2013 at 15:46

@MFC Lion: but we shouldn't be the same the squad is much , much stronger than last year we have proven goal scorers and very good players at this level . it's just not good enough we can't hang about much longer or we will go down then everyone will be really f***** off coz i tell you something if we do drop we wont be coming back up for a very , very ,very looooong time.

• November 11, 2013 at 20:09

@steveomfc5: yeh I agree, I thought we would be around midtable at least with this squad.

Should the worst happen and we go down I doubt I will be renewing my season ticket. Can't see us being bottom 3 myself.

• November 11, 2013 at 11:25

The squad is ok, we have better players than last season. But the problem for SL is that as soon as he plugs one leak (right back) another opens (center halfs). I think Beavers and Robbo looked ok, but when playing with Shittu, we are to flat footed and lack pace. Sides are carving us open much to easily, looking at the highlights the defence seems scare to tackle, its basic schoolboy stuff, showing the attacking forwards the line, making them go the way you want them to go. What I see at home, is that our forwards get no time, in or around the box. Which is the complete opposite at the other end. I agree with the posts above, this division has changed for the better just in the last two seasons , the footballs better, the players are better. So we will have to adapt,and it is happening in some departments but not others
    .PS. Did anyone go Saturday and can post a match report, and how did Hoyte play.

• November 11, 2013 at 13:02

Hold on, what about Morison ? If he aint able to do a job why not send him back and get someone else in ! Someone who can and wants to score goals

• November 11, 2013 at 14:40

@bleachy81: like a dodgy item off eBay he came to us with a no returns policy, all sales are final. We're stuck with him until the end of he season.

Leeds done a number on us good and proper.

To be fair to Moro he needs a fair run out to show if he's up to the job or not. We really should be able to beat Barnsley at home regardless of who we put up front. I say start Moro and see what he does. If he looks uninterested and can't impress against Barnsley then he won't against anyone.

If fit waggers and Scott should be our automatic picks for strikers followed by Easter as he has shown hunger and ability in his very limited run outs so far.

May seem a waste of £20k a week but I would rather use the strikers who will score us some goals if Moro has decided he can't be arsed.

• November 11, 2013 at 13:14

I didn't go to the game so cant comment to much, but i listened on lions player and it sounded that we were a little unlucky, but Lomas doesn't have a plan b and needs to stop making excuses.

If we were lacking in creativity why did he leave it so long to bring Lee Martin into he mix? who, despite he's faults is one of our most creative players. He hasn't had too much game time, but if anyone who can pick a pass like the one he did for Woolford's goal against Blackpool must be deemed "Creative". Also, i'm sorry, but if you wanted a bit of Gaul in and around the 18 yard box you don't bring on Morrison!. And another thing, the defensive partnership between Shittu & Robinson is a failing one, anyone can see that. No pace, Flat, Lack of aggression and intelligence ,Robbo is unnerved by the mere presence of Shittu and this definitely needs to be addressed in January and dare i say it another centre half needed to partner Beevers!.

• November 12, 2013 at 18:23

@Windy: well I did go to the game. Robbo was the weaker of the two centre backs. Jimmy was terrible and he and Roobo where all over the place for the first ten minutes. We equalised and had the majority of the play then with only there second chance they scored before half time.....against the run of play. Second half the formation changed twice. Bolton where sitting back looking to hit us on the break, a more deserved result would have been a draw but while we where committed to get the equaliser the got a break and scored, I am afraid that's the truth we where not that bad to be fair. Some of you on here. Want to try watching a few more games .

• November 13, 2013 at 15:48

@Lincolnshire Lion: I'm a home fan Lincoln, long gone are the days that i can be arsed to travel up the M6 to the a******* of this fine country!!!! But don't worry, I've put in the miles in my time for Millwall cause...

• November 11, 2013 at 14:18

Bring back Dunney. Get Beevers in for Shittu. Waghorn Morison McDonald front 3. Abdou bailey and trotter midfield 3.
    We will beat Barnsley 4.1. I've a feeling someone's due an a*** kicking from us , it might as well be them.

• November 11, 2013 at 14:29

@Block 8: Blimey I wish I felt the same.Lets hope you are right.

• November 11, 2013 at 16:30

@Longfield Lion: @Longfield Lion:
        I understand how you feel. I just think we're not that far away. Goals against is poor I agree. But I think collectively , the players are learning a brand new system. Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette I think.
        What does worry me is the 1 or 2 calls to drop Robbo. I think that would be a case of you don't know what you've got til it's gone. Cant drop him.

• November 11, 2013 at 17:34

• November 11, 2013 at 18:05

@glyngo:
            He always gets back in the team. The manager realises what reliability he brings to our side. For me , Dunney's a starter every week.

• November 11, 2013 at 17:37

@Block 8: Bring back Dunny????? I didn't go to the game at Bolton, but Hoyte got 7/10 in the papers, wasn't sent off, didn't give away a penalty so I would say stick with him. I know we lost, which could be an argument, but Dunne has had his day, and Hoyte is a better option.

• November 11, 2013 at 18:03

@beedoscores:
        Not sure if Hoyte's a better option to be honest. Like you , I never travelled to Bolton either. After one game , I find it unfair that a Millwall stalwart like Dunney should be put on the scrap heap. Dunney gets dropped , we lose a couple and then he's the 1st name back on the team sheet , it happens so often.

• November 11, 2013 at 21:19

@Block 8: My point would be more that Dunney is always underrated by managers until the s*** hits the fan, then he gets recalled because every manager realises that you need that strength of character to ride out the rough times, especially at the Den.

• November 12, 2013 at 13:54

@glyngo: He is not rated for good reason, he can't tackle, pass and panics when he has time on the ball. I know he has been at MFC for years, but I can't remember a game over the past couple of years where he has stood out or has been any better than average. IMO

• November 11, 2013 at 15:10

Robbo & shittu r past it. Instead of getting every midfield player he could get his stupid hands on anyone could c we needed decent young defenders the bloke is a plank.

• November 11, 2013 at 17:36

• November 11, 2013 at 15:17

What worries me is that again we seem to have a one man team....if he don't play we don't have a plan b. time for other players to step up to the mark!

• November 11, 2013 at 15:27

So. Lomas, 'the two boys at centre back had done well in the last three games' have they? Have we been watching different games or have they not just let in six goals in the last three games (and SEVENTEEN in the last six)? What planet are you on, Lomas? You need to drop Robinson and Shittu for Beevers and Lowry and do it now.

• November 11, 2013 at 15:48

@junkmale: Well said.From what we have seen and speaking to others this is the general opinion.The trouble is can you REALLY see SL drop Shittu and Robbo ?We shall see.

• November 11, 2013 at 16:38

On a personal opinion, I don't think Robbo should be dropped. He was solid working alongside Beevers! I feel that Shittu has been a liability and Robbo has had to pick up the pieces. Beevers and Robbo in the middle for me. Morison, McDonald and Waghorn up front. Morison needs to start games, he's not an impact player!

• November 11, 2013 at 17:36

@Block 8: yet again a manager drops Dunney but I would bet my dinner on the fact that he gets recalled if results don't improve soon. Nothing ever changes......:-s@block 28: Robbo and Beevers were brilliant last month, can't just be down to Beevers playing well enough for two positions.@MillwallLad123: totally agree

• November 11, 2013 at 16:49

Why are teams around us sniffing around strikers...and we have mcdonald hit by injury and we seem to do nothing about it..bolton seem odds on favourite to sign Joe Mason from Cardiff...even Peterborough are signing younsters from non league. ..what are we doing about the future ? Nothing !...we are living in fear of the present and not thinking about the future. .come on millwall find some talent. ....

• November 11, 2013 at 17:40

Now Ian Holloway is available, I thinks Lomas has a short term future, and Holloway would be perfect for Millwall. The fans would love him, he's honest and gets the best out of championship players.

• November 11, 2013 at 18:53

@beedoscores: Not so sure Beedo, he nearly fkd up Palace's season after taking over from Freedman and somehow scraped into the play-offs for the Zaha show. Personally I think he is more mouth than trousers and do we really want somebody who has walked away from Palace because by his own admission he wasn't up to the task?

• November 11, 2013 at 20:21

@lion.ie: if he could get us to the prem and then realise he could take us no further I would settle for that.

• November 11, 2013 at 20:18

@beedoscores: might give a better interview. Certainly likely to say something original to mask a loss or p*** poor performance.

• November 11, 2013 at 21:21

@MFC Lion: I don't think Holloway has the right character for Millwall, much as it pains me to sy it, Warnock does but I think he would be a step back in regards to development of playing style.

• November 11, 2013 at 18:15

Went on Saturday. Wasn't necessarily a bad performance but the Bolton forwards were too slick at times. Sad to say Shittu has run his course; I think Beevers/Robbo have to be the pairing. Hoyte played OK and linked up well going forward but the first two goals all developed on his side of the pitch - Dunne will always be the scapegoat and he's had that badge for nearly 10 years but he is Millwall through and through. Once 2.1 up Bolton sat back and defended and then relied on the break. Their central defenders Mills/Ream were comfortable and for all the industry and possession we had few real chances. Third goal was irrelevant we'd been pushing up and were caught. Next game critical - let's hope for a 4.1.
    PS Colleague at work told me last week that he used to play football at school with Jason Dair - he was apparently quite successful with all his Scottish clubs. Was a bit taken aback when I told him how bad he had been with us. Dug out the picture of he, Crawford, Sinclair and Hartley - now doesn't that bring back memories?

• November 11, 2013 at 18:25

@saracen:
      I remember said players well. Mid 90s under Jimmy Nicholl.
      Now , for me , SL seems like Alex Ferguson compared to Nicholl , Colin Lee , Spackman , Donaghie etc

• November 11, 2013 at 18:48

I might be being harsh but this reads as we had no Plan B without Scott McDonald. In any case he should be more focused on teams opening us up.

• November 11, 2013 at 19:11

No plan b u hav to hav a plan a first. Put dunne bk in always gives 100%. Unlike shittu still leavin off last seasons form.

• November 11, 2013 at 19:58

These statements by SL make me believe that he's not the man for our team, yet again bemoaning everything and everyone, except himself
    Everyone on the terracing knows what they require and he remains aloof to our needs and requirements
    Barnsley should be the last chance for him. If we loose or draw, then he should be shown the door, if not he should be told in no uncertain terms his tenure is on a knife edge, improve or out

• November 11, 2013 at 20:32

@aeojt: before we played Blackpool I really thought he would be gone after the inevitable loss. But we somehow win and then the next 2!

Before the loss to Bolton we managed 3 decent draws so I wouldn't say Barnsley or bust for Lomas. We're probably more likely to beat Leicester away the way our season is going.

Safe until after Xmas I believe, the board will reassess where we are then as one result can still move us 3 or so places in either direction.

• November 12, 2013 at 09:16

Maybe he should get a bit longer but all this 'not me Guvnor' stuff won't endear him with the fans.

I can't remember John Doc or George Graham or for that matter McCarthy or Jackett indulging themselves.

This is Millwall, we won't get a square deal from refs and the championship is a brutal place.

Get over it Mr Lomas, your job beats working for a living!

• November 12, 2013 at 09:19

I would like to hear from our club captain Robbo especially with the amount of goals we are leaking. He seems very quiet at the moment. Something is not right behind the scenes I reckon. Speak up Robbo please and give out a war cry.

• November 12, 2013 at 18:28

@Block 8: Hoyte is twice the player Dunney is, I can say that easily after only watching him the once.@wall2wall: he was rubbish at Bolton Shittu was better.

• November 12, 2013 at 18:57

@Lincolnshire Lion:
        I think Hoyte will do a good job for us and I would stick with him. The competition will do Dunney good as he is a fighter.
        As for Robbo I dont think he has been the same player since his injury. Hoping he can get some form back quickly but also would like to hear his thoughts on the current goings on.
        Speak up Captain!!