Forde hints at new Millwall deal despite top-flight ambitions

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

DAVID Forde has given the strongest indication yet that he will sign a new contract with Millwall.

NewsAtDen revealed last month that Forde, along with Liam Trotter and Shane Lowry, were to be offered extensions to their current deals.

And the goalkeeper is eager to prolong his stay at The Den – despite harbouring ambitions to play in the Premier League.

His ultimate aim would be to reach the top tier with the Lions but he acknowledges that it is unlikely to happen this season.

"We are in talks about a new contract at the moment and things are progressing there," he said. "I've spoken with the manager about it and I'd love to stay. It has been a fantastic move for me since I came here.

"You look at our budget and gates compared to other clubs and we are small in that sense but we hold our own and can punch above our weight.

"But I do have that hunger, drive and ambition to play in the Premier League. I've always wanted to do it and the desire is burning inside me. It would be lovely to do it with Millwall of course but we'll have to wait and see."

Alan Smith

(@alansmith90)

11 thoughts on “Forde hints at new Millwall deal despite top-flight ambitions

• November 8, 2013 at 09:40

Can't blame him for wanting to play in the Premiership. Just don't see who he would oust as the number one for any of the Premier teams.
    As for Trotter, he's important so needs to be tied down ASAP.
    Lowry-Don't know about that one to be honest.

• November 8, 2013 at 09:45

@NICKOLA: Agree with the Forde coment he is not a bad keeper at this level apart from the crossing part of his game that could do with improvement, but if we can keep him for a while its got to be a positive move for the Wall.

Trotter need to run the middle of the park and win more ball, his distribution is fine its just his lack on tackeling and tracking back once he has lost the ball, that will stop a prem side from really coming in for him.

• November 8, 2013 at 11:18

@NICKOLA: if forde was good enough for premiership he would be there by now but he has got ambition so thats a good thing,i would prefer if he worked on taking crosses but saying that he is a good line goalkeeper,
      as for trotter he is a big lump so we have to accept he is not going to chase all over the park like jimmy ab.if he did he would be whacked after 30 mins. [iv been his biggest critc in the past]
      on lowry i think lomas is trying to build his confidence so as to at least try and get some competition and cover for left back position,best of luck on that one mr lomas
      morrison is a big worry seemed out of sorts or just did not want to know, in burnley game and have to ask the question "does he really want to play for millwall"?. with his seemingly bad attitude i would give another player his chance.

• November 8, 2013 at 10:14

It's the luck of the Irish! Loyalty certainly has its rewards Fordey.

• November 8, 2013 at 11:14

The club needs to decide how much to pay Forde as I don't think his is irreplaceable. He can pull off tremendous blocks but he can also be poor at commanding the box at crosses and we shipped a load of goals last season from long shots that other keepers may have done better with. Lowry and Trotter are 'must signs' although if they're not going to play him at centre half, which is his proper position, I can't really see the point in breaking the bank.

• November 8, 2013 at 11:23

Sign on the dotted line Fordey, you won't find a club with more passion in the Prem. Bigger gates but less atmosphere. You are well thought of here, don't put yourself in a position to be anyones number two in the Prem. We would all be made up and right behind you! Do the deal!

• November 8, 2013 at 12:21

I know for some strange reason I am in a minority here, but I don't rate Forde at all and think the continuing lack of a credible no 2 has made him very complacent.

Whatever you think of SL his style is to outscore the opposition and consequently that leaves us open at the back. These tactics demand a commanding keeper who is alert, brave and can play as the last defender. While he is ok if he doesn't have time to think , Forde is non of these, and for a man of his age his concentration is shocking - witness countless goals from outside the box e.g Bournemouth and QPR this season where he looks like he has got lead boots on, he often seems rooted to his line, witness Burnley's first goal and goals at Reading and several headers from corners from inside the 6 yard box, which he should be commanding. I would also like to know the shots to goalss ratio of the oppo. because on several occasions this season, Derby, Bournemouth and Brum, every time they shoot, they score. Obviously the defence must also take some blame, but can he never get us out of jail, once our defence is beaten they usually score it seems?
      I also dont think the other defenders trust him and that is why Lowry was covering behind him on Saturday and thus scored the own goal, otherwise why go there on a cross shot - something I have never seen before!
      The key to me is that, unlike every other goalkeeper, I have never seen him parry a shot into the net, i.e he got a hand to it but the power beat him, if you notice he either saves it or gets nowhere near it, beacause he is simply so slow to react, or the ball just seems to bobble past him, particularly on his left hand side and particularly in the closing stages of the first half when we are in the lead.
      He has always cost us points and I would say with a decent goalkeeper we would have 4 or 5 more points than we have now . As I say other people seem to think he is the bees knees but I cant believe that there is not a better keeper out there who would only make the types of mistakes he keeps making once a season, rather than every other game and these repeated goals, that somehow just seem to find the way into the net, could send us down.

• November 8, 2013 at 13:42

Yep I'm on your side here heart in mouth job all the time the ball is at or new our box . He runs hot and cold each game, and the phrase 'Luck of the Irish' is so apt for him
        I cant agree more with your statements, sometimes I think he's a liability. But all of us have ambitions, mine is Millwall in the premier league, it is an 'ambition' that I may never see in my life, too old now for expectations
        @zampangry:

• November 8, 2013 at 18:18

@zampangry: Joe Hart. All keepers make howlers these days, not sure why. Wasn't the same in the days of Shilton and Jennings. Imo Forde is quality but not top class. He has been one of Ireland's mainstays this past season or two and we'd do well to find better without paying very good money

• November 8, 2013 at 15:49

Shame that Forde admits our season over already not exactly what us fans want to hear,it was only a couple of seasons ago we overturned a 20 plus points behind top 6 to push on up the league if he was that good he would have been gone by now
    Forde look at your game there lots you need to improve on!!!.

• November 8, 2013 at 19:40

Keeping Fordey would breed success. Other senior Pros may be tempted to stay or sign for us knowing we're not a mickey mouse outfit. If Trotter stays , so will Fordey and so on........