Lomas pleased with how Millwall have adapted to new style

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

STEVE Lomas is happy with the progress Millwall have made in adapting to his new style of play – but is putting results before good performances.

Lomas believes improvements in the Lions' passing were "there for all to see" against Reading last weekend but concedes inconsistency been his side's Achilles' heel this term.

And he would gladly take an "ugly" win over Burnley on Saturday.

"Reading was a good point but it becomes a great point if we can back it up with a win," Lomas said. "This league is very hard to predict and every game brings its own challenges. First and foremost you've got to be on your game to have a chance.

"The pleasing thing about last weekend was that we kept passing the ball and creating chances. We have to keep believing we are good enough to play that way but I think it's coming."

Lomas' tactical approach is distinctly different to that of Kenny Jackett but the Millwall boss is reluctant to draw comparisons with his predecessor.

He said: "We are asking the lads to play probably a totally different way – I don't know what it was like before my time – and be a bit more expressive on the ball.

"You want to be entertaining as well as get results. I would be quite happy with a boring, ugly 1-0 win against Burnley and I'd still celebrate it in the same way, but we are trying to get the lads to play a bit more football.

"I have my certain beliefs but, whether they are right or wrong, you can't get away from results. I certainly wouldn't want to be comparing myself to Kenny because he did a fantastic job.

"He got the club promoted and I suppose the challenge for him back then was, 'how much football can you play in a team that's just come up?'

"That is always a dilemma because you are going up against bigger budgets and theoretically better players.

"But I believe there's a group of players here who can play good football and mix it up when need be. You have to recognise the intelligence of the opposition and when teams step on you.

"That will certainly happen on Saturday – Burnley will step on us and if we play little tippy-tappy passes around our own 18 yard box we'll be in trouble, so it's about getting the balance.

"I like to get the ball down and believe that's the way the game should be played – on the turf. Each game in the Championship is so different so you're always tweaking things.

"Our last two performances in terms of effort, commitment and trying to play in the right way have been there for all to see, it's just about getting that consistently now."

12 thoughts on “Lomas pleased with how Millwall have adapted to new style

• November 1, 2013 at 11:51

COME ON WALL!

Games like tomorrow is what supporting wall is all about. Back the team for the whole of the ninety and we will get are rewards just like against QPR and Reading.

• November 1, 2013 at 11:57

Wise words lets hope it translates to the football field on a regular basis , coz i agree with Lomas on this one get the ball on the deck and play that's the only way to do it cmon you lions for Saturday miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 3-1 to us McDonald with two woolford with 1

• November 1, 2013 at 12:08

@steveomfc5: i agree with you steve but i would take the 1-0 ugly win as lomas said.I have always had the feeling lomas would do well at millwall,so i will have every thing crossed on sat as this is one game where we must get behind the team 200%,but what ever happens we must keep trying to play good football.

• November 1, 2013 at 12:05

McDonald scores tomorrow, Millwall win... Get the ball down and keep battering them for the full 90 min. Then we should have a chance of nicking all 3 point tomorrow... Tough but not impossible.

COYL

• November 1, 2013 at 12:10

Come on NAD if his approach is distinctly different from KJ how can anyone draw comparisions is like say that black is a darker shade of white, regarding changing the way they play thats shorted out in training and the better the player is the easier it is for them to take on board.

The ugly win SL I think everyone would take it pretty football if we can ever play that can come later when we are mathmatically ok, when do we ever play tippy tappy around the box, most of the time its route one to the enormous forwards.

Also SL say about being in a deilemma regarding clubs having a bigger budget that the Wall well dont worry about that where Burnley are concerned, just get the job done ugly or not a good result will be not losing to all the top 3 when we started this hard run 3 Saturdays ago.

• November 1, 2013 at 15:05

Quote: 'I don't know what it was like before my time', read into that that it was rubbish and he is not prepapred to s*** off his predecessor to the press.

• November 1, 2013 at 15:51

Morison with the winner tomorrow I reckon. If he can start scoring we will be looking a real handful for teams. I have a feeling he is about to come to life agin for us.
    Roll on 3pm Saturday.
    Carry on your good work Lomas. COYL.

• November 1, 2013 at 16:17

@wall2wall:

Agree with this. Feel Moro needs a chance up front. and if he gets that chance the team needs to play the ball in to his feet and let him run the channels, not just hoof it in the air for him to try and win - that's when his head drops and he looks lazy.

• November 1, 2013 at 16:42

Trotter 7/2 with Skybet to score ANY time in ninety minutes.I have had some of that,

• November 1, 2013 at 18:45

Steve. Just keep it shut until Xmas. Your comments are making you look like an imbecile. So many words and so little said. For somebody who is supposedly 'reluctant to make comparisons' you make a lot of comparisons. KJ left in June, it's your team, your squad, your tactics, your fault when things go wrong.
    Best of luck tomorrow - COYL

• November 2, 2013 at 08:07

I'm all for this 'ball on the deck' football but don't lose sight of what I think have always been the millwall way which is hard work passion and commitment if he can combine the two then things could be interesting. Anyway like most ill take a 1-0 win today with Morrison scoring from a fordy hoofed goal kick! COYL

• November 2, 2013 at 13:22

I'll go for an 'ugly' 1-0 today, myself.