Lomas dedicates Millwall's win over rivals Charlton to fans

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

STEVE Lomas dedicated Millwall's 1-0 win over local rivals Charlton to the fans – and once again hailed their vocal backing.

2,858 Lions supporters made the short journey to The Valley to see Scott McDonald's first-half goal secure back-to-back wins in the league for the first time since March.

And Lomas felt his players put in a performance that the visiting fans could be proud of.

He said "After the win and performance on Tuesday, we did not want to let that go. We had great support again and the fans were fully behind us.

"Like I said to the lads in midweek, when you produce that level of commitment and effort and desire, these are knowledgeable fans, they will appreciate it.

"You might not win every week but when they know you have pride in the shirt, and if you give everything on that pitch, they will back you win, lose or draw.

"You play football for the fans, and for you families as well, but ultimately you play for the fans. They get that appreciation and I felt the fans were well rewarded today."

Asked whether he enjoyed the win, his second in charge, Lomas added: "I don’t think you can ever enjoy it, especially when he [Simon Church] cut in from the left and had a shot.

"It is the satisfaction that the lads today have done their job well and been thoroughly professional. But tomorrow will probably be the first Sunday I can have a coffee and read the papers!

"There is a long way to go. In this league you see the margins, the first four or five games we didn’t really get much luck, whereas today you could argue we got a little bit of luck with the deflection.

"But I thought the lads earned it with the performance."

Lomas was also full of praise for winger Martyn Woolford, who produced a man-of-the-match display.

"He is a consummate professional," Lomas said. "Martyn wasn't in the team at the start of the season but he has gone about it the right way.

"He has worked hard in training to get back in the team and once he has got back in there he wants to say and that's really what you want as a manager. You want players with that commitment and drive."

72 thoughts on “Lomas dedicates Millwall's win over rivals Charlton to fans

• September 21, 2013 at 15:42

Well done Mr Lomas. Thought you got it bang on tactically today and the lads executed the game plan very well! Always nice to turn over the anoraks aint it 😉 COYL

• September 21, 2013 at 15:49

Well done to everyone at Wall -- I thought we'd be lucky to get a draw -- So all credit to the whole team and the supporters who went

• September 21, 2013 at 15:50

Im sure we got there number. Good times tonight!

• September 21, 2013 at 15:56

I would also like to dedicate todays win to the Mizen family. RIP Jimmy.

• September 21, 2013 at 22:25

@wall2wall:
      Well said Indeed mate RIP Tomlinson and all the lions and lioness not longer with us

• September 21, 2013 at 22:40

@Lions_claw:
        Yes claw indeed. Never forgotten.

• September 21, 2013 at 16:35

Looks like agent Lomas has turned, credit where it's due, well done lads.

• September 21, 2013 at 19:15

@jdt1885: In Lomas We Trust - since Tuesday anyway.

• September 21, 2013 at 16:50

Great result all round. We wanted it, we were better then them, we deserved it. The return of Robbo & Jimi, in particular, has made a big difference & with Malone improving his defending to go with his attacking abilities, we're looking quite solid at the back now. Let's keep the momentum going. Well done SL for getting his tactics right.

• September 21, 2013 at 16:59

A team full of strong championship players couldn't continue to lose every game. Not too worried about relegation but I feel our league position, come May, should validate/make up for the vast amount of money Berylson has allowed Lomas to spend. Well done 'Wall!

• September 21, 2013 at 17:18

good perfarmance but not great...big test next week..keep it going lads...i gotta wear trousers and a shirt next week for the scum as me dads give me hes season ticket for the execbox cause his in the states......come on lets build on this...i was 5 when i used to bunk in at the dog track or on me uncles shoulders....watched u lot s*** the spammer off...lets see what happens..i think we got a got squad of players now ....meet me deptford mainsies before the game next week....do the old walk common u you bermonsey bombers.. or down the blue... millwall! for ever bermonsey deptford and new cross!!! roofmonkey 1965 till 2013

• September 21, 2013 at 17:23

Positives: Malone is looking much better than Lowry at LB. At least he can support the wide player and doesn't panic. McD looks good on the ball and his movement is superb. Morison looked a handful when he came on, so I think a better option than Waghorn to start. Beevers actually defended well, and Robbo was immense.
    Negatives: I thought the game went on around Jimmy Abdou, and he still struggles to pass to a Millwall player. Dunne is clueless with the ball at his feet. Trotter looked a little slow.
    Everyone put in a shift though, and if I was a Charlton fan, I would be very worried. They were absolutely shocking. Loved it!!!

• September 21, 2013 at 17:32

@beedoscores: agree with all you said mate thought trotter was crap but everyone else superb wolly mom for me but a great team performance looked like we wanted it more than them. Also thought Malone was quality

• September 22, 2013 at 00:10

@beedoscores: abdou didn't miss place one pass today I don't know why every one say he can't pass he can ! And he was unreal today never stops running !!

• September 22, 2013 at 00:46

@m111oto: Jim is underrated by us and we should know better

• September 22, 2013 at 08:28

@m111oto: thank you, jimmy was superb!

• September 22, 2013 at 18:42

@icemark100: Jimmy has to start every game he is fit for. Gives us more energy and grit. Well done lads, great result. COYL

• September 21, 2013 at 17:48

Excellent performance today. Great defensive display, still think Dunney a bit suspect. Wooly a great game, think up front we will score goals. After the weeds match would like to see Moro and Mc start, Waghorn on the bench. A bit of height and both strong lads. Saturdays are good again.

• September 21, 2013 at 19:52

@potty1: thought mac was different class chap low instead of trotter and I think you've got our bet 11

• September 21, 2013 at 21:48

@bazzer: Good shout Bazzer, agree.

• September 21, 2013 at 17:52

@bazzer have to disagree with you there I thought since jimmy has been brought in the squad he has been a rock! Chasing everything as usual making crucial tackles and I feel he may not be the best but his passing has improved, against Blackpool he was even taking players on, trotter I admit looked poor and I think Chaplow is worth a shout with trotter coming on in his place later in the game,how you can say Dunne is clueless when under pressure 3 or 4 times today he played the ball calmly back in to fordes hands made a number of tackles and looked solid.

• September 21, 2013 at 20:04

@millwall-1988: never said dunne was clueless or jimmi had a bad game only player who had a poor match IMO was trotter

• September 21, 2013 at 20:07

Yeah sorry I meant beedo I didn't agree with him

• September 21, 2013 at 21:51

@bazzer: Agree again Bazzer.

• September 21, 2013 at 18:36

Tremendous team performance today, Mcd, Waghorn & Wooly run their socks off to nullify there game plan 3-2-3-2, time may show that Charlton are not as bad as we made them look,Moro & Mcd will be our front two in time but if we are looking for a Star it might be Wooly!! defence was really good I was pleased to see Robbo & Beevers looking good with the ball, Malone was called the Bale of the lower divisions before he joined us, he is looking like that tag again, Trotts will get better COYL!

• September 21, 2013 at 18:40

@Weller: I do hope your right about Trotts.

• September 21, 2013 at 19:04

Absolutely buzzin week six points outta six good job boys.
    Woolfords second half ? when was the last time we see that from one of ours ?
    little jimmi back to his best and with much better distribution, mcdonald is a class act.
    The whole back line look well ballanced and disciplined and are even starting to knock the ball about a bit more.
    Great to see the old guard back - yes i'm eating a bit of humble pie -
    Beavers - my motm - looks immense alongside robbo.
    bailey a game or two away from being the player we know he can be but still a god game from him.
    Fordey back to his reliable self.
    Alan dunne cracking game but formation not helping him out at times.
    Waghorn run his nuts off
    Malone looks better than lowry who i think should not get his place back.
    That leaves me with trotter, he's still looking laboured to me which tells me he's still a couple games away from full fitness.
    good to see easter back.
    Roll on next sat for the leeds scum
    Oh i forgot great result for the toffee's today well done martinez.
    Haha coyl's

• September 21, 2013 at 19:07

May well be going soft in my old age, but I really hope SL turns out to be a success. His passion is obvious, he says the right things and he has strengthened the squad considerably. Only time will tell whether he's got the tactical nous and the man management skills to hack it in a league as tough as the Championship, but we've now only lost one of our last five and we were unlucky not to get three points at Brighton.
    The green shoots ARE there....

• September 21, 2013 at 19:13

got up at 6am to watch the game 7.15. our time ,wore my NOLU scarf. my canadian wife thinks I,m raving mad COYL

• September 22, 2013 at 08:14

@canadianlion: You need to educate her then.

• September 21, 2013 at 19:16

What a difference a week makes, two totally professional performances for a deserved six points, I did say earlier in the season that SL hadn't found his best team with all the signings made, but it looks like we may have turned the corner. Onwards and upwards eio eio eio eio...........

• September 21, 2013 at 19:28

I am becoming more and more impressed with Lomas , he is starting to become a "Millwall manager".

I cannot understand the few who think Liam Trotter had a bad game or Jimmy for that matter. Both were tireless and have made an enormous difference to the quality of our midfield. Trotter's passing was accurate and he split Charltons defence a couple of times and himself was unlucky not to score from a superb volley. Jimmy never stops running and his passing has really got better. As Lomas said he is lucky to have a central midfield player who is quality and also 6ft! Lomas barring injury has to keep the same winning side they will only keep improving and become a side with our supporters a team for the opposition to fear.

• September 21, 2013 at 22:41

@Peckhamlad: I agree with you Peckham - Trott's can still improve but thought he did the job he was there for. As for the others, I think it was a great team performance credit to all the lads and to Steve Lomas. COYL

• September 23, 2013 at 00:18

@Peckhamlad: Well said PL. As I said earlier, those who s*** Trotter want him running around chasing everything in sight. I got to see him for myself on Saturday and he was THE class act on the pitch. Strong on the ball and always seems to be in control and able to find space. Yeah he has a laboured look sometimes but I can think of some great players who were exactly the same, Zinadine Zidane for one, although I'm obviously not putting Trotts in that sphere, just comparing his way of getting around the pitch.

• September 21, 2013 at 19:36

the way see it forget the first 3 games, forget we lost 5-1 at home to derby its the 4th year running we have been tonked at the den. if we had lost 1-0 it would still be no points. as it stands 2nite 1 defeat in 5 thats gd form we destroyed blackpool and today put in a perormance that was professional, we deserved the win. lets face it we should have beat brighton. we are a team now that believe, malone is a natural lb , lowry a cb as cover. woolford and yep i cunted him off but since brighton he opitimeses millwall, knuckled down and deserves his place. now lets gatecrash the top 6

• September 21, 2013 at 20:22

@thepromiselandbeckons: first game I've seen this season (I live in Devon can only afford to go afew times a season) we look like a good side when we start passing it on the deck I think we're gonna be ok if we can build some confidence. I was slagging lomas off after derby but I am enjoying being proved wrong

• September 21, 2013 at 20:14

Thought our support was brilliant today was p****** myself when I saw all the nemo dolls all you could hear on the telly was our lot proud to be millwall today

• September 21, 2013 at 21:27

Fair play for coming up from Devon that's a trot, I think lomas has found he's best 11 except maybe the best forward partnership because that is a difficult one, on the positive we have good options from the bench whoever he goes with, I admit I was slating lomas after the derby game but the past two games we have played some good football on the deck and created chances, I'm not one of people against SL because of his wet spam connections I really couldn't give a Sh#t if he gets the best out the team then I'm happy, the people that want SL to fail want the team to fail because he won't get sacked if we are doing well.

• September 21, 2013 at 20:24

Millwall is stronger with Dunne in the side, he is our best RB has continued to improve. Woolford is a revelation and well done for proving so many, me included, wrong. Def keep Malone in the team till Lowry learns how to get forward and pass/cross properly.

• September 21, 2013 at 22:29

Let's not kid ourselves here. Charlton are, and were, one dimensional. Millwall defence however outstanding and Beevers looks a lot happier with Robinson by his side. Having said that, we would always expect to win at the Valley. Charlton are my personal tip to be relegated this season. Coupled with today's result, we beat the top team on Tuesday night and now 6 out of 6 so formation and squad currently effective. The first choice eleven should stay just that, with McDonald and Waghorn up front and as for the back-ups vs. Leeds we will be without Morison so Easter and Keogh will be on the bench. We've got enough in reserve to bring on to change games and if we apply ourselves, we'll see off Leeds and then will be marching up the table. The real difference now is confidence and now that everyone is fit there is serious competition for ALL places. nothing like that scenario to get the best out of the players.

• September 22, 2013 at 11:26

@NICKOLA:
      Obviously I'm delighted we won - and in particular Woolford and to a lesser extent Malone surprised me. I take back what I said about Woolford.

However it was an appalling game with both sides struggling to put together coherent moves or even, as often as not, find a team-mate. And when they did knock it in the right direction the poor recipient stood a good chance of being sold a hospital pass.

Charlton were a lot worse than us, except arguably right at the death when Powell hit upon the lineup he should have started with in the first place and we were running out of breath. But we were still pretty bad and nothing like as good as during the second half against Blackpool.

Meanwhile I'm still worried about a lack of penetration from midfield and the decision not to even have a wide right player on the bench let alone in the starting team.

But we won - and that's the main thing!

• September 21, 2013 at 22:41

We won !
    Why the negativity ?
    Let's look ahead to next Saturday.
    Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will our season be.

• September 21, 2013 at 22:46

Watching the team as a solid unit was immense, looking very promising
    But robbo is such a massive difference in the team not only Is a brillent centre half but he gets the best out of dunney and Jimmy abdou, clever little headers that jimmy abdou picks up, gets it under and knock to full back, was deerly missed last season !!

• September 22, 2013 at 09:18

Were all in the same boat regarding the appointment of an ex west ham captain as our manager, was even thinking after the derby game that he took the job to bring us down !!!!
    After his post match interview yesterday I am now 100% satisfied that he has the clubs best interests and really wants to prove all us doubters wrong and make us proud to be Millwall fans, positive thoughts will in the end bring positive results, with that comes confidence and then consistency , the whole team should be given credit where it's due , from top to bottom they were all fantastic yesterday and Tuesday night. Keep it up lads , we are all behind you , we fear no foe where ever we go !!! COYL

• September 22, 2013 at 11:17

@jago77: How on earth could you possibly think that a young ambitious manager would take a job to bring us down because of some imaginary ambivalence to our club and in the process completely screw his career, I really don't understand what goes on between some peoples ears.

• September 22, 2013 at 12:14

@Sealion: well maybe you shouldn't have took my words so literally , what I should of said was the way he was playing people out of position and some of the changes he made during games, we could all see as supporters that things weren't working and it just seemed to take an unexplainable length of time for him to get it right, with excuse after excuse. Like I say though I am very impressed with the turn around and can't wait for the Leeds game and don't normally go away but will be going Bournemouth away in couple weeks and as many more I can fit in, lets give SL and the lads as much support as we can.!!

• September 22, 2013 at 14:18

@jago77: Apologies Jago if I mis took your meaning but after some of the b******* that has been posted on here over the last few weeks I guess I bit.

• September 23, 2013 at 00:21

@Sealion: I don't have and never will have a problem with Lomas being ex West Ham, regardless of the job he does. Si I'm not in the same blinkered boat.

• September 22, 2013 at 09:22

he will prove himself against leeds if we win that then well done lomas but he had the same problem at st johnstone he didnt win his first six games there

• September 22, 2013 at 10:24

We need to remember Lomas didn't win in his first 6 matches for st Johnston maybe it takes him a while to find his feet.

• September 22, 2013 at 10:52

Gents,

I for one am extremely pleased that our fortunes appear to have taken a turn.
    I only returned from holiday late Friday night, and although it wouldn't be my first choice I was lucky enough to get a free ticket from my in laws and sat directly behind the Wall dug out. Lomas and Harris do not stop barking orders at the players, 75% of which are inaudible because of ambient noise levels! irrespective if the players were able to hear and execute the instruction being offered they would benefit immensely, unfortunately that isn't the case. In essence I think we are beginning to become more of a complete team as opposed to a series of units, and the instruction I could clearly hear being shouted was sound advice, which the players seemed to already be aware of.
    All I would say is please don't think Lomas has no passion, from where I was sitting it was oozing out of him.
    As I have previously posted, will improve as the season progresses. Yesterday I saw a Football team win an attritional game, we did a sound job.

• September 22, 2013 at 12:20

@ jago, did you really think lomas took the job to take us down, or are you just having a laugh on here, f f s

• September 22, 2013 at 12:25

• September 22, 2013 at 16:45

Does anybody know where OldLes lives? He has not been spreading his usual Negative fairy dust over the recent posts? I think it maybe worth checking his gaff just to make sure he has not choked on a Werthers Original? Just a thought.

• September 22, 2013 at 18:07

@JonnyBanks: dont be nasty jonny, it wont be long before your 'old jonny'.
      It would be nice to hear from him though, i'd like a positive post rather than the usual constructive criticism that he throw's our's and the team's way surely it's time for a wee bit of positivity
      les ?

• September 22, 2013 at 23:22

@lukesmithmfc: Why don't you read my words of wisdom on the game before posting your brainless comments. They were on here long before you popped up with your ramblings. Silly c***.

• September 23, 2013 at 18:56

@Old_Les: nothing is what you'll get me olde son cause nothing is what you deserve

• September 23, 2013 at 20:54

@lukesmithmfc: Yes very cutting I must say. Can you repeat it in understandable and meaningful English

• September 23, 2013 at 00:23

@lukesmithmfc: At least a lot of his criticism IS constructive Luke, unlike a lot of posters on here.

• September 22, 2013 at 23:19

@JonnyBanks: Better phone your village mate - they'll be worried they're missing their idiot.

• September 22, 2013 at 18:54

I may have missed it but any news in why Ames Henry weren't involved?

• September 22, 2013 at 18:55

*James

• September 22, 2013 at 19:12

That's interesting isn't it ?
      Henry and Shittu look like they have fallen out of favour unless they're injured.....

@Tel:

• September 22, 2013 at 20:50

@Give me a wubble u:

Shittu I understand, but I think Henry's still got something to offer

• September 23, 2013 at 00:11

It's going to be a long season with plenty of ups and downs although we have already had a fair share of "downs". When he is fitter I am sure Shittu will be back in contention especially if Robbo or Beevers are out for some reason. If Lomas can keep the same basic squad throughout then all to the good. When Benny Fenton was manager the team picked itself! What a team! The transformation we have seen has come through the change in midfield, which looking back to last Saturday against Derby was chaotic, Having Trotter and Abdou back has stabilised the middle but also if you notice given Bailey more freedom to play. Forde to seemed to have more confidence.
    Having just looked at Palace v Swansea.. Palace looked worse than us when we were bad. a load of wimps.

• September 23, 2013 at 00:31

@Peckhamlad: Watching Palace this season is already making me chuckle, they'll be lucky to make 20 points. Only downside is that they'll be coming back down with a shed load of cash to spend.
      Re Shittu, I'm not his biggest fan and don't see a lot of difference between him last season and this. I think people are just tagging the fitness thing to him because he's been poor for periods in games. He possibly has a history of impressing early at clubs and then losing form. Two year contract was a mistake, and I wonder if Lomas would've shipped him out to free up much needed cash if he'd arrived a month earlier?

• September 23, 2013 at 13:49

Professional performance on Saturday, standing in the away end, the noise was like the good old days. The strength in depth of our squad is probably the best we have ever had and one last thing which really impressed me about SL, was his passion and emotion when we came over to us at the end, looked like he had a tear in his eye!!!

• September 28, 2013 at 01:32

onwards and upwards COYL...