Report: Charlton 0-1 Millwall

SCOTT McDonald scored his first goal of the season to give Millwall a vital win over South London rivals Charlton at The Valley.

McDonald's deflected shot shortly before half time proved to be the difference between the sides, but the scoreline did not accurately reflect the Lions' superiority.

Steve Lomas named an unchanged starting line up after his side's midweek win over Blackpool but did make one change to his bench, with Jermaine Easter coming in for James Henry.

After a scrappy opening, Martyn Waghorn had Millwall's first shot on target after McDonald back-heeled the ball into his path, but the Leicester City loanee's shot was straight down the throat of Ben Hamer.

Former Addick Nicky Bailey, who was booed by the home fans, tried his luck from distance in the 22nd minute but Hamer got down with time to spare to hold his effort.

Moments later, Martyn Woolford twisted his way into a shooting position on the edge of the area but blazed high and wide. McDonald then dragged wide of the near post as the Lions began to take the upper hand.

And they broke the deadlock in the 38th minute when Waghorn exchanged passes with McDonald and the Australian's strike deflected off Dorian Dervite and into the far corner.

In the 53rd minute, Woolford had a sight of goal after Hamer's poor clearance, but a red shirt made a vital block to keep the score at 1-0.

Steve Morison was brought on just before the hour mark and made an instant impact, flicking on a long ball to Woolford, who half-volleyed into the side netting.

Moments later, Trotter's rasping drive was parried away by Hamer after more good work by Morison, before Charlton carved out their best opportunity when Marvin Sordell playing in Simon Church, who shot tamely at Forde.

Scott Malone spurned a glorious chance to put the result beyond doubt five minutes from time when his first-time shot fizzed into the side netting after Richard Chaplow's cut-back.

85 thoughts on “Report: Charlton 0-1 Millwall

• September 21, 2013 at 14:16

Now it's gelling !!!

• September 21, 2013 at 14:19

What a solid performance. A lot of posters on here wiping egg from their faces and I'm not talking about Lomas.
    Dunney, Woolly, Jimmy proving that they are all 'up to this level', Trotts looks a step above 'this level'.
    I'm wiping a bit of yolk off myself, it was great to see Robbo get MoM after what he's been through but
    Mark Beevers was absolutely outstanding today, faultless.

• September 21, 2013 at 14:21

What a difference Robinson makes. In a different league to Shittu. Big smiles, lots of beers this afternoon and genuinely looking forward to the next game now. What a difference a week makes.

@lion.ie:

• September 21, 2013 at 14:38

@NICKOLA: The whole defence were so solid today. First time I've seen Malone, very impressed. Robbo seems to have come back better than ever, I just hope he can stay fit because he's like a lynchpin in the side.

• September 21, 2013 at 18:53

@NICKOLA: After an exciting season with SHITTUUUU last year. It's f****** time for business - Robinson is the man for that.

• September 21, 2013 at 14:26

@lion.ie: Trotter above this level? Based on what? Awful today.

• September 21, 2013 at 14:31

@harryfabian: Not according to SL on Sky who said what a bonus it was to have a 6ft central midfield player with such quality. Trotter put through some supebr balls and was unlucky not to score himself, remember he has only just come back from the operating table. It was great team performance all round

• September 21, 2013 at 14:40

@Peckhamlad: Touch, control, passing, positioning, ability to find space e.t.c. We are lucky to have him and as the teams confidence grows the goals will come back. Unfortunately, some people want him to run around chasing and tackling everything like a headless chicken. We have Jimmy for that.

• September 22, 2013 at 16:11

U have to agree trotter is a big strong central midfielder but you have to ask 1 question, WHY is he so easily knocked off the ball ? Lack of effort & passion ?

• September 21, 2013 at 15:37

@lion.ie: Hardly, don't get me wrong I am a fan of Trotter but today, tuesday and the latter of last season he has been poor. The game seems to bypass him. I get it he is a strong and tall midfielder but his touches aren't very good - you'd be surprised at how many times he loses the ball. Also if he's 6ft 3 why is he not winning any headers? Trotter can be a lot better, but lately he has been poor. I think you should get your blinkers off.

• September 21, 2013 at 16:47

@harryfabian: Yes, I would be surprised, maybe we should play him at centre half so that he can win some more headers? End of discussion for me.

• September 21, 2013 at 15:24

@harryfabian: Absolutely Harry. Looked poor and lazy today in my eyes. Defence superb.

• September 21, 2013 at 18:44

@harryfabian: I think trotter is always going to divide opinion, I've heard Zola wax lyrical about him and other judges say he can run a midfield, I'm worried that I'm showing football ignorance but I just don't get him , I know we generally get better results when he plays but for the life of me I just can't see it, that's virtually a confession by myself and I hope he makes me look stupid for the rest of the season , thanks for the win today lads .

• September 21, 2013 at 18:59

@thecolumbusblock: He bosses the midfield. He has a big physical presence which for our style of football, which let's be honest isn't Barcelona-esque is really key. He usually wins the battles in midfield, and what he loses Jimmy usually sweeps up. With him there, it works for us well.

• September 22, 2013 at 00:40

@marknorman3: mark I know that's how he is perceived but to me he is clumsy on possession and he can't make telling passes, c'est la vie ! As they say in Barnsley I really hope he proves me wrong

• September 21, 2013 at 14:23

The team was perfect today, I thought Woolford was pure class! not forgetting Beevers who made some quality decisions. It makes you wonder what was actually wrong to start with, onwards and upwards I say!

• September 21, 2013 at 14:25

Yeeeessss!! Pleased-ish with the performance, delighted with the result. Still a lot of room for improvement - Charlton were poor.

• September 21, 2013 at 14:25

Our luck's finally turned. Derby must have been the ultimate kick up the a*** because for the first time this season we're quicker, sharper & hungrier than the opposition and look like we want it more. Some immense performances in the last two games; some of the players have allegedly gone stale and it's those players who have kept Lomas in a job. Funny how 4 years after promotion the heart of the team is still Fordey, Dunney, Robbo, Jimmy, Trotter and Morison. Let's enjoy it while it lasts...

• September 21, 2013 at 14:39

Oh and by the way, despite the Sky commentators skilfully ignoring them, every one of the Sordell chants came through loud and clear... well done to all the Wall that went.

• September 21, 2013 at 14:27

MAGNIFICENT MILLWALL!!! First away win, clean sheet, another good performance, ALL players deserve credit, Robinson awarded MoM. Well done Steve Lomas now were are talking!

• September 21, 2013 at 14:31

Always said robbo is the main man in defence and beevers looks better playing along side him. Great save at the depth by Forde! Well done lads!!

• September 21, 2013 at 14:37

Compared to the blackpool win where we looked super sharp up front (imo not as sharp) we defended like f@@king troopers today beevers and robbo were immense and dunney look brilliant too ... 1st half though trotter looked static but 2nd half what an improvement ... Bailey id personally give 6/10 perhaps the occasion was just a bit too much jimmy was a star waghorn (when he was on) looked like trouble and you could see the fight in him (love it) and McDonald i hope that injury and a big one and that he can over come it!!!! All in all a very solid millwall performance .... Absolutely buzzing no doubt leeds will be a bigger test of character but if the attacking aspect against blackpool and the defending aspect against the anoraks comes together , well...... What can i say apart from COYLMmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllwaalllllllll

• September 21, 2013 at 14:38

woolford is actually class he played well today dribbling in and out of denfenders classy performance from the 2 cb today well wall COYLLLLLL

• September 21, 2013 at 14:39

What a result , now my Charlton season ticket holder mate at work has to buy me breakfast Monday morning ! .......bring on the celebratory cholesterol 🙂

• September 21, 2013 at 14:40

Spiffing!

The jury is still out on Lomas but its in on Jackett who it is clear had lost the players and run out of ideas.

Leeds, bring them on!

• September 21, 2013 at 14:54

@wongo: Pointless Jackett dig.

• September 21, 2013 at 14:41

I remember coming on here a few weeks ago, people slating Woolford before he had even had a run in the team. Always thought he was brilliant at scunthorpe and he is proving to be just that now, he will get MUCH better. MOM in my opinion. COYL!!!!

• September 21, 2013 at 14:45

Look I think it was a solid performance and a good win - but despite being on top we never carved them up and rarely got inside their box... This is a charlton team that hasn't kept a clean sheet for 16 games.... If it wasn't for a lucky deflection we wouldn't have won so I'm not getting carried away - back line and midfield looks so much better though - cutting edge going forward and finishing will come I'm sure! COYL!!

• September 21, 2013 at 15:11

@TheBermondseyBomber: Lucky deflection! No way, it would have gone in anyway as the Charlton keeper was all at sea. It was a great move for the goal. This was an improtant game to win, but as you say and SL said on Sky not "to get carried away" and wait till January to see where we are. Robinson said all the lads want to climb the table and it seems to me there is a great spirit in the side. What a turn around from last Saturday!

• September 21, 2013 at 16:29

@Peckhamlad: mate the keeper had it covered all the way... I've sat and watched about 10 replays! But don't get me wrong we deserved the win and put in a solid performance that's 2 on the bounce and something for the lads to build on!

• September 21, 2013 at 17:29

@TheBermondseyBomber: Having watched the game I think that is a fair assessment Bomber, but we are due some luck. I thought it was a good solid performance. The defence played well but there were still a few heart in the mouth moments where their forwards were allowed too much freedom around the area. For me I made Beevers MOM but I will not argue with Robbo who always leads by example. I can't believe Woolford what a turn around, I was one who wanted shot but no one other than SL and MW himself can be more pleased than me that he has come good, its amazing what difference a bit of confidence can make.
      Trotter showed some nice touches and his presence was a threat but I thought his tackling was poor but he can only get better he is still pretty rusty I should imagine.
      Malone must keep his place in the side as we now have an extra man assisting MF and gave balance to the side.
      Overall a good workman like performance away from home in a tense local derby.
      I don't care if it was not pretty cos I am a one happy chappy.
      Well done SL and team.

• September 22, 2013 at 11:32

@Sealion: That's exactly the way I saw it and to be honest, I couldn't care less how the ball managed to find its way in to the back of the net. We beat the anoraks yet again and on their own turf. I also think we were spoilt for choice regarding Man of the Match - Beevers, Abdu and obviously Robbo to name but three but I thought Woolford was a different class today. I've said it before that I was upset we actually paid money for him but blimey, he's certainly proving to be a very good investment.
        Come on the 'wall!

• September 21, 2013 at 14:45

Outstanding away performance. Our industry in midfield stopped them playing and when we had the ball we carved out plenty of decent openings. Hearty slaps on the back all round. After the Derby disaster beating Blackpool and Charlton proves we've got the heart, desire and bottle and as our confidence improves I think we'll start playing some really decent stuff as well.
    Moro with either MacDonald or Waghorn looks like a decent strike force, Woolford's playing out of his skin, Chaplow, Bailey, Martin, Trotter and Jimmy gives us plenty of options in midfield and the back four, marshalled by Robbo will take some breaking down.
    Fantastic effort lads, particularly after last Saturday.

• September 21, 2013 at 14:49

Back to back wins! I must be dreaming! COYL! !!!!

• September 21, 2013 at 14:51

Millwall well worth the win - by far the better side. Liam Trotter did well and getting back to his best - whoever said he was s*** today is a pratt. Woolford MOM for me, top marks to Alan Dunne for another solid display and also to Mark Beevers looking more like a player. Big plus for me is the emergence of Scott Malone and if he keeps this form Lowry won't be getting back in to kick people up in the air and get red cards. Tough six games coming up and they'll be a good barometer of Lomas and our chances in this league. By the way don't think anyone's got egg on their faces much more likely a smile for a good value win and the chance to buy the Sunday papers without getting the hump.

• September 21, 2013 at 15:14

@Old_Les: I agree with you!!!!

• September 21, 2013 at 15:34

@Old_Les:
      Bang on points Les. Bring on Leeds. COYL.

• September 21, 2013 at 15:44

@Old_Les: Well said Les, the egg refers to people who come on here and make sweeping statements about players but never back it up with in any constructive criticism. Phrases like, 'not up to this level', 'league one standard at best' e.t.c. do my head in. The same people who can't see that Trotter and Morison are the real class acts in our squad.

• September 21, 2013 at 15:49

@lion.ie: I'd do one of them thumbs up silly sign things if I could so point taken and you're right. What a difference two worthy wins make - even I'm in a cheery moody which is unusual. Interesting that we have a player called Freddy Abdou according to professional northern w***** Peater Beagrie on Sky - anyone know what he's like?

• September 21, 2013 at 21:03

@Old_Les: beagrie always looks like a smacked a*** whenever we win on TV, did some one from Bermondsey run his cat over or something?

• September 21, 2013 at 17:10

@Old_Les: For once I cannot fault anything you say, it was a great performance all round especially to come back after last weeks debacle. The midfield was excellent today Bailey,Trotter and Abdou looks a good combination the more they play together the better they will become.

• September 21, 2013 at 17:16

@Old_Les: thought Malone looked a bit clumsy with and without the ball - and what is his barnet all about?!

• September 21, 2013 at 21:00

@TheBermondseyBomber: I think he's been watching Peaky Blinders. Next thing he'll be turning up in a Newsboy flat cap with blades sewn into the brim. Having thought about it I think Malone may have been having a much bigger positive effect than any of us think. Lomas is playing this slightly gay 4 - 3 3 which demands attacking full backs to work properly and Lowry is never that. All of a sudden Malone comes in and is galloping down the wing at every chance and giving us width. No coincidence I'm now thinking with the Blackpool result. Sometimes a player will have a big effect on a team and we the spectators don't notice as much as we should. Just a theory. Dunney does get forward a bit on the other side but not as effectively

• September 22, 2013 at 00:38

@Old_Les: It's more like a 4-2-3-1 with Bailey and Abdou staying back more than the full-backs. Having Lowry and Malone as LBs is an upgrade, but it's essentially a variation on the 'Craig can't attack, Barron can't defend' condundrum.

• September 21, 2013 at 17:34

@Old_Les: I agree with most of what you said, but for me Dunne is clueless when he has the ball at his feet. OK when its a 50/50 ball, but when he is under pressure with the ball he almost always gives it away. I thought the game went on around Jimmy, but Morison looked sharp when he came on.

• September 21, 2013 at 20:07

Les, Do I detect a smile on your face ?
      You must have put a bet on then !!
      @Old_Les:

• September 21, 2013 at 21:05

@NICKOLA: malone is a proper FB in the old fashiones sense, he knows when to break forward and can make a decent pass. Would just like to see him tackle a bit more but thatbis being picky.

• September 21, 2013 at 14:54

Great team performance, but Wooly was my MOM. Bring on the damned United.

• September 21, 2013 at 14:59

Cannot fault our defence today! Robbo was an act of class! Morison was brilliant again after coming on. Just an overall better performance from the boys!

• September 21, 2013 at 21:06

@MillwallLad123: Robbo and Dunney make this team tick- hard to explain why but maybe its as simple as them just keeping things simple.

• September 21, 2013 at 15:02

I thought lomas's post match interview was very well conducted not getting above himself not giving anything away and keeping it all in all very professional..... And when he was asked where does he think were aiming for and how does he feel about the wall faithful he bowed his head and said its only 2 wins ask me the same question in january..... Peeps on here will have to go along way to find me slating SL imho the team needed time to gel and boy oh boy is it coming together!!!! I f••king love wall bring on leeds!!!!

• September 21, 2013 at 15:21

@woodzymfc: It's early days mate, but thankfully most of the people on here are sensible. The early results were poor but SL had a lot to change when he came in, no disrespect to Kenny who got us into this division and kept us up, but we had a poor team who were low on confidence. There are signs that we are not going to have the struggle we had last year. Well done the Millwall fans who have kept the faith and given him a chance - I don't think we'll regret it - COYL

• September 21, 2013 at 21:11

@Adsy77777: previous criticism of Sl and as justified by performances but now he seems to finally managing the team and getting a response. So credit to him.

• September 21, 2013 at 15:04

Without putting to much of a downer on today quite frankly Charlton were pathetic, Wall were only slightly better in the first half with Trotter and Abdou both away with the fairies, both improved after Morison came on, Stevie beginning to look his old self, but man of the match for me was Forde with Dunne ,Malone, and the rest of the defence putting in a great displays,
    Work in progress Wall,

• September 21, 2013 at 15:13

Dunne MOM imho

• September 21, 2013 at 16:01

@fitzydrink: hahahahaha do me a favour, worst player on the pitch!

• September 21, 2013 at 17:36

@fitzydrink: Got to agree with Harry, if he's your MoM then I'm a f****** chinaman.

• September 21, 2013 at 22:25

@beedoscores: which in modern cricket parlance is a 'wrong'un' which accurately describes that comment. Dunne once again being undervalued and thank F he is on the squad to step back in and win us games after so called better players f*** it up in his position.

• September 21, 2013 at 23:08

@glyngo: He is an ok player and our best right back. If I were to say Lionel Messi had a bad game, it doesn't mean I don't rate him as a player. Though Dunne is an egotistical liability.

• September 21, 2013 at 15:13

Who lets both sets of supporters out at the same time!! Nothing to do with Millwall today. Charlton are the biggest mugs. Couldn't care less before. Hate them with a passion now. See you at the den ha. Perfect away result today. Get in

• September 21, 2013 at 15:16

Defence was good, Midfield was good, Forwards were good - and as for Woolly, I want him drugs tested!!!! He was superb, well done mate!!!!

• September 21, 2013 at 15:54

what a great win just got back , the hole team was fantastic , with a good left side now , and jimmy better than ever , and robbo , well just robbo , mcdonald is just class , and nemos galore , what a great day , bring on the weeds,

• September 21, 2013 at 16:14

I hope we will not have later regret to this disgraceful start of the season,the chase is finally started...
    Too easy today against a team so poor,but the lads have all well done...
    COYL!!!

• September 21, 2013 at 17:16

@Crazy4lions: I would not say Charlton were that poor they worked hard but had no shape at all. Millwal made them look poor.

• September 21, 2013 at 21:22

@Peckhamlad: I agree...many many teams will look poor in our sight! 😀

• September 21, 2013 at 16:16

Attendance of 15,917 and 3,000 were Millwall! Charlton you should be ashamed

• September 21, 2013 at 17:13

@James_SE16: Maybe but how many Millwall fans were at home to Blackpool? Hope now our home gates will pick up and it will be great to get 15000+ for them

• September 21, 2013 at 22:27

@Peckhamlad: even in the old Div 1 our avg gate was about 12k so unlikely we will avg more than 11k even with a successful run.

• September 21, 2013 at 16:56

Woolford man of the match... outstanding along with McDonald.

• September 21, 2013 at 18:04

Some of you make me laugh, calling Dunne poor and saying the game passed abdou by! Please abdou played his socks off broke up a lot of charlton attacks got stuck in and didn't stop running, he's passing has even improved under lomas, trotter did what he needed to do but for 6ft 3 he gets knocked off the ball too much where as mini McDonald is the opposite trotter should take notes from McDonald about holding the ball up! Saying that no one had a poor game, we made charlton look poor which resulted in them playing long ball. I didn't watch it on sky I was there

• September 21, 2013 at 18:05

Also as for woolford I don't know what lomas has said or done to him but it's worked he was immense

• September 21, 2013 at 18:54

defence much better again to day, no great mystery really, we got shot of shittu and lowry and put two much better players in their place, jimmy does that job he does so much better than derry and the rest are starting to show their quality. beevers mom for me today

• September 21, 2013 at 19:54

I felt, from TV as I cannot get to games now after living abroad, that today their seemed to be not much use of the wings. There was more in the 2nd half, but only on the left side. Had there been willing use of both wings the capable strikers we could be quite devastating given the otherwise solidness seen today. Maybe this is just TV not giving the bigger picture regarding use of the wings?

• September 21, 2013 at 22:00

A win is a win and perhaps had we a few more under our belts we would have had the confidence to take a very poor Charlton apart but all you can do is win a game and performances are forgotten long before results. The good thing is we are getting results now and I hope we can build on them. The team is taking shape and players are showing a bit of form. I think Lomas is learning more and more about our players and that can only be a good thing.

• September 21, 2013 at 22:28

@Vinny Shell: good points and don't forget it was a derby so any. Result was possible

• September 22, 2013 at 01:05

Just crossed my mind that we can comfortably do without Lowry keogh and Henry I think that can be classed as progress

• September 22, 2013 at 11:09

@thecolumbusblock: Been thinking that as well, I would not be bothered if we got rid as I think any one of them would lower the effectiveness of the side if selected.
      it would be interesting to see how effective Lowery would be in his true position of CH, he could be good cover for Robbo/Beevers.
      I used to rate Henry but he has not put in a decent performance for ages, he can't get round the defence and usually gets caught in possession, his shooting and set pieces are woeful and IMO can be disruptive to the side.
      I believe Keogh has been the victim of alien abduction, I don't know what they have done to him or indeed who they replaced him with but its not Keogh, so unless they can send the real one back I think we should get rid of the pale imitation as he is of no value to this team.
      If we can get anything for the above players I believe we should take it and thank them for their service for a great club.

• September 22, 2013 at 12:11

@Sealion: totally agree about keogh it's an astonishing loss of form, if he can get back to his early last season performances we would have yet another option up front I'm sure this team has goals in it

• September 22, 2013 at 12:48

@thecolumbusblock: I shall be honest and say frankly it would not bother me if we got something for Keogh. When you think how long he has been at the club his form has been off more than on. Also feel he was always to lightweight.

• September 22, 2013 at 09:20

scott mcdonald scored a goal eehhh iiiiii eeehhhh iiiii ooooooo

• September 22, 2013 at 11:46

Good solid performance by the Lions. Impressed with Woolford's contribution throughout. Bring on Weeds, COYL

• September 22, 2013 at 22:44

That game was nothing to be positive about to poor teams