Rams defeat a low point in career of Millwall captain Shittu

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

DANNY Shittu described Millwall's 5-1 defeat to Derby County as a low point in his career – but says the Lions cannot afford to let their heads drop.

Millwall have now lost four of their opening six league games this season and have not won a Saturday home game in the Championship since December 15, 2012 – nine months ago.

They host table-topping Blackpool at The Den tomorrow with boss Steve Lomas desperately needing a win to relieve the mounting pressure on him after a nightmare start to his tenure.

Shittu said: "Those are the kind of games that are one of your lowest times in football. No team likes to lose, no player likes to lose, but to lose in the way we did, by that scoreline, was very disappointing.

"As defenders, we get paid to keep clean sheets, so I was obviously disappointed with my own performance and to let in that many goals. Every other player in the changing room feels the same way.

"We had played really well in the last couple of games, so we came into this one feeling confident. We'd been working hard for the last two weeks and we thought we could do really well, so for it to be the complete opposite…the players are really shocked.

"All of the players are gutted. There isn't one player or staff member who went away on Saturday not bothered by the result. This affects every single one of us. Every team has their bad day at the office, and this was ours."

Shittu felt Jake Buxton had committed a foul in the build up to the Rams' opening goal, and also disagreed with referee Keith Stroud's decision to send off Shane Lowry.

"We didn't think the ref would give the first goal," Shittu said. "He [Buxton] was climbing on my back and had his hands all over me. We spoke to the ref and didn't think he was going to give it.

"We did not think it was a red card either. Shane won the ball and had his leg straight the whole time – the ref said it was malicious and that he was trying to kick him [Will Hughes].

"Shane makes those tackles all the time, and if he caught him it should have been a yellow."

Shittu says it is imperative Millwall remain upbeat with the visit of Paul Ince's Tangerines to SE16 right around the corner.

"We are professionals and we have got a lot of experience in the squad, so we either sink or swim now," he said. "We have to pick ourselves up and learn from our mistakes.

"It is a good thing we have got a game tomorrow. We have to stay positive because if our heads go down now, that is not going to help us. We will talk about it and look forward to Blackpool. We know that we can play well.

"Blackpool are a good side, they place nice football and score goals, but all that matters is what we do. We need to pick up points and the players know that has to start on Tuesday."

95 thoughts on “Rams defeat a low point in career of Millwall captain Shittu

• September 16, 2013 at 08:28

Thanks for the honesty Danny it makes a change from all the bull that we normally get,
    It's a big ask to get 3 points tomorrow but law of averages says our luck must change sometime,
    Regarding Lowry's sending off it was a crap header to him that put him in such a position, TV replay shows it was a red card every time,
    Trotters cameo showed what we have been missing, Jimmy Abdou knows how he plays and should be reinstated in midfield in place of that Derry.
    Rock off Blackpool.

• September 16, 2013 at 12:39

@sierraleone:

Spot on about Trotter but he could play like Messi and the goals would still be leaking from the right side.

• September 16, 2013 at 16:42

@sierraleone: trotter pass led to the millwall goal that was good look at there 4th goal trotter did not go with there player leading to the goal that was bad same at brighton trotter still needs stop being lazy

• September 16, 2013 at 17:57

@sierraleone: Sierra Leone is that the "land of Lions" ?,
          blimey mate you come a long for your football, it makes my journey from Poole a cakewalk,
          Anyway your very welcome,

• September 16, 2013 at 21:53

@wandererwall: I thought it meant 'Mountain Lion'????

• September 16, 2013 at 09:00

how many goals are we conceding from set pieces.... far too many, the first 2 on saturday came this way and the blame lays 100% on Shittu and his defence, doesn't matter what manager we have installed, he cant control their poor judgement. We may defend the original cross but almost every follow up our opponents have goal scoring chances, sort this out and defensively we will much better.

They all need a good kick up the a***!

• September 16, 2013 at 09:10

Would sooner have seen news Lomas is out the door this morning. How many bad days at the office do you need before you realise you are in the wrong job?

• September 16, 2013 at 09:19

We need a team who play consistantly together, there are far to many changes!!

• September 16, 2013 at 09:58

For me Danny,you are not the same player this season by some distance. You are not leading that defence in the way you did. Makes me think you did all that for a contract and now you dont put as much in. I would much rather have Robbo in your place everytime. True Wall.

• September 16, 2013 at 10:21

If Paul Robinson doesn't start on Tuesday at the expense of either shittu or beevers I am gonna give my season ticket to charity !!!!

• September 16, 2013 at 11:10

@dpendet: Charity would probably pick a better team, whoever she is!

• September 16, 2013 at 10:47

I like Danny's honesty and to be fair he is Millwall through and through. However the defence is always under pressure because the forward are unable to hold the ball up and it comes straight back, this changed though when Waghorn came on and for me looked a class above Keogh. The midfield was all over the place and do not assist in defence as much as they should.
    The other problem is that Forde had an off day too. His goal kicks were wayward and either went out of play or straight to a Derby defender. Why does he not roll it out to a defender sometimes? I remember the great Bryan king used to throw a long ball right to a Millwall players foot.
    Dany has to tighten his game up too and be more aware of what is happening around him.

It was disgraceful that a couple of moronic "supporters" not far from me where hurling racist abuse at Dany, whenever he put a foot wrong but were notably silent if another player made an error.

I would rather see Robinson and Shittu together .

It is a crunch game tomorrow so please lets get behind team whatever the line up is.

• September 16, 2013 at 11:45

@Peckhamlad: F*** me you're one boring c*** with all your "disgracefuls" and "disgustings." Do you go to games just to get evidence against Millwall supporters and I'm not convinced you're one as you write more like a Sun or Sky TV grass.

• September 16, 2013 at 11:52

@Old_Les:

Well, you can always go on to HOF and talk about Muslims all day if you like.

• September 16, 2013 at 13:51

@SE16 Wall: Not only are you a boring c*** you're a grass. I'll ask you again as I've asked you several times before please find some evidence any where of anything racial I've put up - be if about Muslims or anyone else. Why don't you pop over t West Upper and say your lies to my face

• September 16, 2013 at 14:11

@Old_Les:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Couldn't care less if you post about race or religion or not. You're a frequent on the embarrassment that is HOF and if you lie down with dogs...

• September 16, 2013 at 12:02

@Old_Les:
        There was enough evidence on display, coin and bottle throwing as well as racist abuse,
        everyone involved should be permanently blamed, if your not adult enough to control yourself, you shouldn't be leaving your 'home'.
        I was more embarrassed by our supporters than the players, so sick of defending these morons.

• September 16, 2013 at 12:07

@Mr_London:

The scary thing is that Les is around 70 years old and goes to matches with a child who will struggle to know right from wrong.

He can't accept that it is no longer the 1980s and the Millwal lhe wants, but few others do, is dead and will never return.

• September 16, 2013 at 13:57

@SE16 Wall: You're good on invention I'll give you that. Again I ask you to pop over to West Upper and have a discussion - put your facts where your very large and misinformed mouth is.

• September 16, 2013 at 13:11

@Mr_London: @Mr_London: @Mr_London: How are you defending anyone? You are name calling and suggesting people stay at home. ps is that a life long blame or part time blame you want imposed?

• September 16, 2013 at 13:55

@Mr_London: If I were to believe the s*** you're coming out with then there would have been streams of missiles and torrents of racial abuse which there clearly were not. Certainly not where I sit. People like you are a scab on this club because all you want to do is to play up to and reinforce the media stereotype - when in actual fact we have far less problems than many other clubs (not that two wrongs make a right). It's w****** like you that will bring this clubs to it's knees because you delight in giving the poisonous media ammunition.

• September 16, 2013 at 14:01

@Old_Les:
            I was stating facts ,i was there and and saw and heard it myself, Les you are obviously an utter moron, who enjoys swearing and being generally aggressive to anyones opinion who differers from your own.
            you are the stereotype of the club i want to removed permanently.

• September 16, 2013 at 14:12

@Old_Les: Sorry I will not sink to your level of personal abuse I oppose racists and racism. It has no place in football. If you don't like it, tough. Let's focus on Millwall's game.

• September 16, 2013 at 14:24

@Peckhamlad: Well said mate, I'm with you and Mr London. I sit in West Upper and saw and heard it myself and I felt embarrassed. Topped of a f*****g awful afternoon. Together with the abuse aimed at Adam Smith, a player who did his best when he was with us. You don't have to be taking part to be part of the problem - anyone who thinks that was the Millwall way past or present is deluded. For what it matters Les, before you start, is I don't have to grass - I'm big enough and ugly enough to take care of myself. As a father of mixed race children, I don't see why I should be quiet about something that affects me and my family directly - nor should I have to pretend it doesn't happen.

• September 16, 2013 at 14:35

@Adsy77777: Funny I was sat in West upper and saw and heard nothing. Neither did the bloke and his two kids I was sat with - and they might have been upset by it if it did happen.

• September 16, 2013 at 14:43

@Adsy77777: Les, surely from your vantage point you saw our own ball boys running for shelter from the coins being thrown? Is that acceptable? Is it acceptable to throw things at a young player who served us well in Adam Smith? I remember the days when Ian Birch of aston villa was taken off because everytime he touched the ball with his long dyed blonde hair he was wolf whistled. Not very nice I know but it was funny and we all had a good laugh, it happened to other players who laughed it off but it wasn't plain nasty. I know what I heard and I'm glad for the people accompanying you that they didn't - doesn't mean in didn't happen.

• September 16, 2013 at 17:48

@Adsy77777: Got a lot of time for you post adsy but I think these issues exist in society so it's natural it'll make it's way on to the terraces - not only Caucasian people are guilty of racism a fact lost on the law these days but I agree it's wrong and has no place in my household but sadly whilst it exists in society I fear it will always be seen in football! I also think the media go OTT about crowd trouble - certain articles I've read would have you believe it was Chelsea or Luton all over again! Very much a minority and they're all on their way out or soon to be collecting a pension! I'm more concerned about the p!55 poor show we're all having to endure this season!

• September 16, 2013 at 17:23

@Old_Les: you are the boring one with all the bile you spit at least peckham is positive and talks sense unlike the filth that you write.

• September 16, 2013 at 18:14

@jim1222: thanks Bomber. Believe me mate I'm a realist and none of my family go round looking for offence but to say it didn't happen is cobblers. I know that it is the minority, most of us have moved on.

• September 16, 2013 at 18:29

@Adsy77777: oh I'm with ya mate! it happens and it shouldn't - I love the fact the den is a horrible place for the opposition to come (even if they're currently guaranteed 3 points) but I don't get the mentality of abusing your own players - let alone our player of the last season!

• September 16, 2013 at 22:16

@Adsy77777: Love the Paul Birch reference Adsy, that was fkin hilarious that day.

• September 16, 2013 at 11:12

Why oh why is Robinson noy an automatic selection? Get him in the team every week and the goals against column will reduce dramatically.

• September 16, 2013 at 11:28

I think it needs to be Robbo and Beevers in frotn of Fordey personally - also its clear Derry isnt working out and Bailey can't play at home - he seems petrified! so tomorrow I want to see Martin, Trotter, Chaplow, Abdou and Henry in a 5 man midfield and why not chuck Waghorn in... seems hungry enough to put himself about!

Lomas needs to go its clear players arent playing for him now (I thought we needed time to gel but its more than that!) who would we get in though?! I'll get slated for it but right now I'd take Warnock until the end of the season!

ps. Please dont comment saying Harris.... he's a club legend and a future manager but he's not ready yet!

• September 16, 2013 at 12:18

My team for Tuesday would be:
    Forde
    Osbourne Robbo Beevers Malone
    Henry Trotter Chaplow Martin/Woolford
    McDonald Waghorn

• September 16, 2013 at 12:32

Maths not your strong point Danny boy? Try a bad 9 months at the office we call The Den. Not all Lomas's fault but we need someone who can turn it round. As was pointed out yesterday on a post Tony Pulis is out of work and to be honest Bomber i don't think Warnock is such bad a shout, If not popular. Lets face it the board don't go for popular i.e. Lomas. If Ray Allen wasn't dead i'd go for him. At least his assistant wasn't so wooden.

• September 16, 2013 at 12:37

Apart from the very obvious right back problem, you don't look joined up as a team. I would dearly love some additional honesty Danny regarding the relationship between the players at the Den. There have been an extremely high number of new players since July and I think there must be a deep underlying problem in the dressing room.

• September 16, 2013 at 12:57

Henry was blowing after 15 mins of coming on... No pace and did not track back once !! Lowry's sending off maybe a blessing in disguise, Malone is better anyway.

Forde
    Connolly Robbo beavers Malone
    Chaplow trotter Bailey Martin
    Waghorn MacDonald

• September 16, 2013 at 13:51

@les the lion:
      Good shout Les. I would be more than happy to go with that 11.

• September 16, 2013 at 13:53

@les the lion:

Pretty good Team Les, Henry looks unfit and unable to beat a 2 legged dog, let alone a defender.
      The boy should spend less time in Nandos and more time training!

• September 16, 2013 at 13:28

After that drubbing I'm glad we have a game
    Tomorrow, less time to dwell on it and put things right.

• September 16, 2013 at 13:58

Don't think one of you has heard of a balanced team or players in their best and right positions and match fit into the bargain. I think you're all Lomas under another name

• September 16, 2013 at 14:06

@Old_Les:
      Every player bar one in that line up would be playing in their natural position. Dont see how it's so unbalanced.

• September 16, 2013 at 14:32

@wall2wall: One out of natural position - unbalanced

• September 16, 2013 at 14:44

@Old_Les:
          Chaplow has played on the wings before Les and sucessfully for Southampton so he is no stranger to the position. Looks a balanced team to me. I'd like to see Lomas start with that 11 but I reckon he will fit Derry in.

• September 16, 2013 at 15:02

@wall2wall: Chaplow is our best central midfield player. Not really quick enough to play on the outside so is wasted there

• September 16, 2013 at 15:12

@Old_Les:
          I think Trotter is our best central midfielder Les but it's all about opinions. I know most would probably disagree but I would build my team around him.

• September 16, 2013 at 16:56

@wall2wall: Wouldn't completely disagree with that. My choice would be Trotter and Chaplow but if Idle Trotter turned up he'd be off in a flash. It's possible he was played through injury which is why he was so bad for a chink of last season (as many and myself suggested on the much maligned (o0n here) HOF months ago)

• September 16, 2013 at 14:35

Amazing that when someone makes a comment about the few idiots in the crowd who are intent on keeping this clubs profile in the gutter, all that certain relics from the past can say is that you're a 'grass' or a closet charlton/palace fan. Come on Old Les,surely at your age you can think of something a bit more worthwhile to say in reply? Maybe you think the way forward is to have a fight or to throw stuff on the pitch or to call someone a black c*** etc etc. It does seem that you enjoy and encourage that sort of stuff. Things are bad enough on the pitch at the moment but we will recover, be it in one month or a year, whatever.Yes I know people are entitled to their opinion but in my opinion and i believe most others, that kind of behaviour does far more damage to the club than any set of players or manager can ever do. You, with all your experience that you say you have at Millwall (and I'm not doubting that) really should have started to have grown and realised this by now !

• September 16, 2013 at 14:36

• September 16, 2013 at 14:48

@SE11 Lion:

He is around 70 years old and if he hasn't learnt how to act like an adult and appropiately by now he never will do.

You will only ever read him condem those of us who care about the club and its reputation, never about those are commit the acts that keep us in the gutter.

He is a moron.

• September 16, 2013 at 15:09

@SE16 Wall: This from a nasty spiteful spineless excuse who wishes death in people from behind the safety of a keyboard, suggests grassing people up and refuses to produce any evidence of his accusations. You should know about the gutter because that is where you are.

• September 16, 2013 at 15:07

@SE11 Lion: Absolutely correct that there are a "few" but if you believe the hysteria of some on here it is a majority. There are grasses on here - how would you define someone who suggests posting up pictures of the Wembley Martyrs at the Den so supporters can grass them to the police. As for my opinion of people shouting black c*** do not pre judge like the spiteful c*** SE16 and instead accept my invitation to chat with me in West Upper where I sit with (shock horror) a black bloke almost my age and his two kids who (shock horror) are not white.

• September 16, 2013 at 16:21

@Old_Les:

"Wembley Martyrs"

And there, in just two words, you have the World according to Les.

Nevermind that it caused unbelievable embarrasment to Millwall; nevermind that families were scared and children cried; nevermind that a few "grown ups" couldn't handle their beer and haven't lernt to walk away from trouble without resorting to using their fists.

ONWARDS YOU GLOURIOUS SOILDERS! LES SALUTES YOU!

• September 16, 2013 at 16:54

@SE16 Wall: You're a grass, a coward and a liar. I can now add humourless and predictable.

• September 16, 2013 at 16:42

@Old_Les:
        I am glad that some people are getting fed up with some of the comments on here..this is a good site, why all the hateful stuff? Old Les, take a look at yourself and read what you are constantly spouting..all this "come up and see me in the stand" rubbish. Who on earth do you think you are? People should be able to state their opinions without threats being made. As for all this nonsense about "grasses" is beyond me. If some morons drag our club down (again and again) they deserve to get caught and get thrown out. Les, you were good enough to tell us your age recently, act it! I have been going to the Den longer than you Les and have seen as much or maybe even more, so don't put yourself up as some sort of King of the castle who must be listened to without an alternative view being allowed to be aired without retribution.

• September 16, 2013 at 16:53

@Longtimer: Where have I threatened anybody? And I certainly wouldn't be so stupid as to assault anyone physically inside the ground - asking for trouble - all aside from the fact I've never been a violent person. I am merely replying to someone(s) who have openly wished death on me on this very site, made completely untrue allegations about my "racism" ad for everyone to see have encouraged the grassing of our own supporters to police. If I were a person who liked a bit of litigation there's the law of libel I could refer to - not that I could ever be bothered and would much sooner fight my own corner. Hence my open invitation to certain people to pop up to West Upper and have a discussion. My respect to your age and experience but your remark about "king of the castle" is a touch juvenile and your mention of "retribution" totally without foundation. If I wanted to threaten someone I would come right out with it - a face to face discussion is something totally different.

• September 16, 2013 at 15:01

Sl is NOT a man manager and as such should not be here. All of the deadwood from last season should be gone so he's failing in that part off loading the dross.
    The players are it seems to me to be running the show as they dont have a clue on the pitch
    In the 50 odd years of my support I've never seen so many players not trying from start to finish of a game. Worst team in all that time
    SL might last tomorra but I have a feeling he'll be gone by the end of the weekend

• September 16, 2013 at 15:42

Jb is coming over from the states for the blackpool game which must only mean 1 thing guys, lose the game & it's bye bye ginger .

• September 16, 2013 at 15:44

@mfcjon: either that or he's playing at right back!

• September 16, 2013 at 15:46

Anybody got a photo of SL sat in the dug out with his head in his hands it just about sums him up,at least Jackett stood up throughout all matches in the technical area.
    SL has transformed our midfield into a geriatric affair Derry ,Bailey, Chaplow and Shittu in defence a disgrace where was the shouting and encouragement he should have been giving but like SL nothing,as much as i dont want Fans not to support Wall maybe a vote with a low turnout for tomorrows game might hit home,i believe JB back in town so maybe his expectancy of 15000,gate mite make him realise his cock up appointing SL,and in turn the crop of players his brought in,with exception to some.JB your dreams are in Tatters even worse the Fans have no dream now SL has put paid to that.

• September 16, 2013 at 16:09

When I first came across this website I thought great, somewhere for us fans to be both constructive and critical about the team we all love. What I did not expect to see was fellow supporters taking verbal lumps out of each othet. Surely facebook or twitter is the place for that sort of thing. This is a site to blog about our team - I don't think too many supporters want to log on to read supporters swearing at other supporters. Please hit like on this post if you agree or maybe I'm on the wrong website.

• September 16, 2013 at 16:20

@Profiler4:

Totally agree Profiler4. The supporters remind me of the team: not talking to each other; their own agenda; certainly out of position; and, the mindset of the playground. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism and having a different point of view but spare us the personal abuse.

• September 16, 2013 at 16:50

@sierraleone: Thank you - I was beginning to think I was alone in this.

• September 16, 2013 at 17:02

@Profiler4: You are right, if anyone writes something abou the game, team or club then a debate is healthy, but when someone resorts to personal abuse and swearing with the *** it degrades the conversation. I just ignore these people from now on and I suggest everyone ignores offensive messages from those who make them.

If JB as is reported is returning tomorrow then something is happening, I dearly want us to win tomorrow, we all need that relief.

• September 16, 2013 at 19:01

Not alone there mate I'm sick of seeing it too... It's uncalled for we're all 'Wall here

• September 16, 2013 at 16:42

Just seen the advert for Barclays premier league. To Follow is love that's how I assume all Wall supporters feel except we still love Wall but how much longer can we Follow under this regime .

• September 16, 2013 at 16:57

Whenever a player comes out post-match to state the obvious, what they are really doing is trying to justify their selection in the starting 11. We don't need press office ambassadors we need players to start turning up & performing for our club.

• September 16, 2013 at 17:02

Old les. King of the castle!! Love it. Well said Longtimer. About time he got put in his place . I suppose I'll get the usual "come up to the west wherever and say it to my face crap" from him now.

• September 16, 2013 at 17:08

@SE11 Lion:

Funny how it's just a stand and never the block, row and seat number so we can find him.

• September 16, 2013 at 17:24

@SE16 Wall: Do you think I'm so stupid as to give you a seat number so you can grass. I'm not hard to find - I sit with a black bloke and his kids - there's a clue for you

• September 16, 2013 at 18:30

@Old_Les: Is it advisable to make an appointment in advance?

• September 16, 2013 at 19:53

@Adsy77777: Feel free - pop over to HOF and PM me a time that's convenient to you

• September 16, 2013 at 20:11

@Adsy77777: I couldn't respond to you directly Les - my last comment was supposed to be humorous given the amount of people you have invited to discuss things face to face - my matchdays are miserable enough at the moment without spending some of it with a daft old sod - thankfully, for your sake and mine, people like you don't bother people like me.

• September 16, 2013 at 17:23

As the opening lines say , not won a Saturday home game this year. Does Lomas get the blame from January to May too ? We will be ok , we've got too many good players not to be. I still back SL , I don't know why , but I think he'll turn it round. ..........

• September 16, 2013 at 17:24

I think Aldo should disable the comments on here. This les c*** and a few others are a f****** embarrassment.

• September 16, 2013 at 18:01

@benzo: He deleted mine, It seems if you dont agree with certain posters your comment gets deleted, Aldo sticks by the c**** and grasses that name call from behind a laptop and deletes people who disagree with them. Are you palace fans in disguise by any chance?

• September 16, 2013 at 17:30

with JB COMING OVER TODAY , I BET HE WILL SHOCKED WHEN HE SEES HOW MUCH OF A GATE HE HAS LOST , I DONT THINK TO MANY FANS WILL BE GOING AFTER SAT PERFORMANCE , ME AND MY SON WILL , LETS HOPE LOMAS PUTS THE RIGHT TEAM OUT , WITH MALONE , DUNN ROBBO , TROTTER , AND JIMMY PUT BACK IN , OR ITS GOODBYE LOMAS , LETS SEE WITH THE BIG BOSS LOOKING OVER HIM , IF HIM AND HARTFORD GO HIDING IN THE DUGOUT AT THIS GAME ,

• September 16, 2013 at 17:31

I to have supported Millwall for 46 years and have lived thru the Peter Anderson days and the George Petchy and the Nigel Spackmen black days watch us get promoted from the old third division and to the old first division the old den was my second home the crowd always back the players and we was the 12th man .during the games we back the boys and at the end if we lost we would let them know and now we s*** them off and fight amongst our self's where's the pride gone or have we been spoilt by the Wembley visits or did last season cup run paper over the cracks and major surgery was needed to the team I cant say I was pleased by Lomas appointment. but he is the manager in situ so we need to back him and show over teams we are special and to those who want to fight and throw missiles stay away the club doesn`t need or want you show passion not violence but most off all lets stick together.

• September 16, 2013 at 19:44

@carewlion: Well said mate - Like many of us, I grew up on the terraces and some of the one liners were worthy of Galton and Simpson (or for the younger supporters, Del Boy). Some of the stick that referees, opposing players and sometimes even our players got was non-stop, but it usually had humour behind it; might of been not very nice for the person on the receiving end at the time but I'm sure they got over it; I remember Gazza inspiring spurs to a 5-0 win at The Den, he was mustard, being called fat throughout and responding by shoving the ball up his shirt and rubbing his belly - he was applauded off the pitch by the Millwall fans at the end of the game. The Den could be an intimidating place back then for visitors, but the fans knew a good player and Gazza took it all and came back; the fans showed class that day even if the team didn't. I dread to think what would happen now . I used to love matchdays and usually me and my mates would come away laughing, even when we were sh*t. Nowadays a lot of the stuff that goes on is just nasty and spiteful and cowardly and not just reserved for the opposition! We're not scary any more as visiting supporters keep reminding us. It is possible to be passionate, partisan and intimidating without crossing the line - that's just embarrassing and hurts the club in so many ways. I don't think they'll be many there tomorrow, but as Carew say's, I hope we give the players the best chance we can and get some of real 'Wall spirit back - COME ON YOU LIONS!!!!!!!

• September 16, 2013 at 22:27

@Adsy77777: Gazza got dogs abuse at White Hart Lane as well. I seem to remember him getting a free kick on the edge of the box, pointing at us and then pointing at the top right corner before sticking the ball right where he pointed. The only time I've applauded an oppo goal. One in a million.

• September 16, 2013 at 20:06

Adsy77777
    It was the Gazza free kick that did it, I was there it was pure quality!
    And Teddy used to get slaughtered week in week out for being slow?

• September 16, 2013 at 21:09

@Adsy77777: my old grandad told me when he first saw teddy play he said to me uncle "he'll never make a center forward!" I've only been going to the den 23 years - not a patch on some of you guys but I was lucky enough to go to the old den - something I'll never forget!

• September 16, 2013 at 20:23

The banter on the half way line was hilarious.
    I remember going to West Spam vs Millwall the year they went down and we stayed up!
    Someone started singing "Scunthorpes gonna do you"
    F**king funny

• September 16, 2013 at 20:31

We sound like a couple of right old sods! I remember palarse away with the bloke dressed up as what's supposed to be an eagle; bloke near us to his mate ' can you imagine that, his mate rings him,' you going to the palace?' 'Yeah, Iam', 'Where you standing?', 'I'm not. I'm on the pitch, I'm going dressed as a chicken'; Millwall fan shouts 'SORT YOUR FU**IN' LIFE OUT CHICKEN'. Like I say mate, good old days! Me and my mates still can't go to palarse away without a shout of 'SORT YOUR LIFE OUT CHICKEN'.

• September 16, 2013 at 22:28

@Adsy77777: cheers Lion - why do the replys not come out where you want them? Trying to remember the player, was it Gareth Ainsworth, who had long, blond, curly hair, everytime he got near the ball a chant of 'one Sally Gunnell' went round the ground. Brilliant!

• September 16, 2013 at 22:47

one previous post hit it right a lot the chants now are not humourous but just nasty oh for the old days.

• September 16, 2013 at 22:55

I'm just recalling another great Millwall song; against leeds just after the Shannon Matthews case in Yorkshire - 'you hide your sister's kids.....'. A train journey back from an away day with everyone trading little known Millwall facts when someone came out with 'Heather Rabbats is actually a woman'. Whole carriage cracked up!