Millwall boss very disappointed with "cheap" Dunne red card

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

STEVE Lomas criticised referee Bobby Madley's decision to send off Alan Dunne after ten-man Millwall conceded a late equaliser against Brighton.

With the Lions leading 1-0 courtesy of Martyn Woolford's strike, Dunne was shown a second yellow card 15 minutes from time following a late lunge on Kazenga LuaLua.

The Seagulls capitalised on their man advantage when Leonardo Ulloa equalised in the final 60 seconds of normal time.

Lomas said: "I might have to do the lottery tonight because I could see it coming. It was a very cheap booking. I said to the fourth official, 'I can see what's going to happen here, he'll get sent off in the second half.'

"I'm very disappointed. It was the key turning point in the game. We were very comfortable. In the past we can blame ourselves [for certain mistakes], but I think the blame lies elsewhere today.

"I blame myself as well because we only had one defender on the bench, I wanted to be attacking, but when Dunney was sent off we could have used an extra defender.

"Brighton are a very good team and they pass the ball well, so we set up to nullify them in the first half and I thought we did that. We got into some good areas ourselves and but for a decent final ball, we would have created some chances.

"We started very well in the second half and scored a fantastically well-worked goal. We're trying to get the ball down and pass it in the right manner, and our goal typified that.

"I thought my players were magnificent again today, they showed the right attitude and the fans could see that. We had great support  from nearly 2,000 fans.

"Brighton were coming on strong, we were a man down, throwing bodies in there and getting our blocks in. You saw the committment of the players to the cause."

37 thoughts on “Millwall boss very disappointed with "cheap" Dunne red card

• August 31, 2013 at 18:40

With the greatest respect, if you could forsee the problem before it occurred, why didn't you put robbo at right back - our only defensive option?

I don't get it

• August 31, 2013 at 18:55

@bonnie1272: I agree you really don't get it

• August 31, 2013 at 20:18

@bonnie1272: alternatively, why not put Derry at rightmback (he has played at RB before in his career) and then put Jimmy in midfield (it was Jimmy who was getting roasted by LuaLua and who allowed LuaLua to get the cross in for their goal), Jimmy is never a right back!

• September 1, 2013 at 09:33

@bonnie1272: Fully agree with your comments and also that Dunne is not good enough at this level, but also we mad changes after the sending off which never made sense remove Chaplow who was one of our best players. Then replaced him with Liam Trotter who true to form played as it was a training match.

Trotter does not seem to have his heart in it and never tracks back and never closes down, the Brighton goal came as he never won the ball out on ther left and the ball was knocked in and they scored, if he is fit now he has been given enough chances at the club, lets try to move him on now.

• August 31, 2013 at 18:42

I translate "cheap" into diving b#stards !
    I think we got it right it right tactically today , something that SL has been criticised for on here.

• August 31, 2013 at 18:47

The tides are turning. We're gradually getting there and I think we'll win our next game

• August 31, 2013 at 19:09

@westlion:
      The tide is turning I agree. I think it will peak as I've said before against the Anoraks. They've been so lucky so far this season and it will be our day on the 21st and then we'll do big head Leeds the following week. COYL

• August 31, 2013 at 18:54

Like bonnie said. If you could see it coming, TAKE HIM OFF?!

• August 31, 2013 at 19:30

Easy to be wise after the event, as I always maintain rarely have I seen a referee in this division who is not biased against Millwall. The only answer is to win and win well. Hanson on the BBC match of the day programme the other week said it is the hardest job in the world for a manager to come into a failing club and turn it around. It will take time. The signs are good. The point today was well earned.

• August 31, 2013 at 20:09

I'm also very disappointed, Mr. Lomas.
    Hopefully you'll be gone by Christmas.

• August 31, 2013 at 20:16

Just got think we just edge the game. Anyone who went to the game will tell you it is a 1000000 times better than last year. Get of the geezers back , he is doing a good job and we will only get better. We are playing very good football, and was not far away from winning this. Trust me we will be ok.

• September 2, 2013 at 13:55

@sups8892: A million times better but still four points worse off. A bit early for such hyperbole.

• August 31, 2013 at 20:17

Should have put just got back, sorry get the ump with people slagging down Lomas.

• August 31, 2013 at 20:45

@sups8892: sups
      Not getting on his back but the statement he released said he could clearly that dunney was gonna get a second yellow.
      Well if u see it coming....

• September 1, 2013 at 09:58

@bonnie1272: Bonn it was evident from the first half when he actually deserved to be booked.
        He obviously had a word at half time and tbh there was no build up to the second yellow as he never gave any free kicks away after the second yellow
        As a few others have said anyone could have been booked for time wasting especially fordey. If you where there Bonn you really wouldn't have that opinion and If i wasn't there I'd probably have yours, try not to read too much into it in sure he's only trying to get us on side with his views.

• September 1, 2013 at 19:21

@lukesmithmfc: the only reason I made the comment was in response to the pointless quote from SL. If as he says he could see it coming...

Besides, I've watched dunney plenty over the years and I know exactly what type of player he is, and I will and have never got in his back as you are aware, but like me in sure you can see it coming as well.

Perhaps and this is not exactly a criticism, but maybe a utility player like smith should have had a spot on the bench?

• August 31, 2013 at 21:26

Not really got anything constructive to say other than get this t***** out!

• August 31, 2013 at 21:39

@m4rky8oy: it's your opinion and you are entitled to it. After all this is the forum to air such things.

No one said everyone has to agree

• August 31, 2013 at 21:47

A point away from home against team that fluffed the play offs last season. Shame we couldn't hold out for the win but considering our form a point is a good result and step in the right direction!! Couple of tough home games coming up, the aim now is to stay unbeaten... Come on Wall!!!

• August 31, 2013 at 22:06

A draw at Brighton is a good result, Robbo would be a worse RB tha Abdou though and Jimmy has covered that position for us before.

• August 31, 2013 at 22:11

Martin Woolwford goal machine COYL!

• August 31, 2013 at 22:15

Take that tongue put of your cheek Glyngo LOL#COYL

• August 31, 2013 at 22:31

I was feeling very deflated at the result after being 1-0 up with a minute to go, but after reading the posts on here, from those who went to the game i'm a bit more upbeat. Looking forward to the next home game now. Come on Millwall, give us something at home so we can really get behind you. It seems such a long time in the league at home, that we left with a big "F*** Off" smile on our faces.

• August 31, 2013 at 23:48

Cant blame lomas for this at all, he didnt bring him off because it would of meant playing a defender out of position, dunne was silly enough to get sent off and let his team down, not lomas's fault at all, i think people are just looking to pin this one on him

• September 1, 2013 at 01:38

Maybe I'm being harsh on Mr Lomas but he's got to turn it around quick! I want him to do well for all our sakes but where
    we are at the moment is shocking. We've played badly for longer than we've played well so far imho

• September 1, 2013 at 08:27

If anyone needs proof that we are making progress just look at Yeovil. Not only have they not won since beating us on the opening day, but they haven't scored a league goal either. They will probably end up bottom of the league at the end of the season. We have started scoring goals (not many, I admit) but IMO we have a brighter future than Yeovil and one or two others at least. I can honestly see us on an unbeaten run in the near future and with the teams at the top beating each other we can still end up where we all thought we were going to be in our pre-season euphoria. COYL.

• September 1, 2013 at 09:30

Will everyone stop blaming Lomas and give him a chance, the reason we have started so poorly is through schoolboy errors by the players, the latest being Dunne getting 2 silly bookings (not the first time he's been sent off). We are now picking up points and 6 points against Derby and Blackpool will move us up to mid table. COYL..........

• September 1, 2013 at 11:25

2 points from last two away games. I'm not complaining

• September 1, 2013 at 11:56

2 points from a possible 15 is not the most auspicious of starts but there are signs of improvement.
    2 week break now, time to get a loanee in to cover right back as Lomas obviously doesn't rate Jack Smith, amongst others.
    At least we're no longer holding up the table.

• September 1, 2013 at 12:18

Gents,
    I am sure we all agree that want to see our team playing proper passing Football instead of the hoof and hope efforts of previous years, however this will not come quickly or easily. Lomas as begun implementing what is essentially a mammoth task and we need to afford him time and support to try to achieve this no matter how much our pride is dented by subsequent results. I truly believe that his commitment is genuine and there is nothing ignominious about his attempts to achieve success, he just needs time.
    Lets be fair, given the massive change in playing attitude and style he is trying to administer we were never going to be challenging for a play off place, so taking this into account, if we can comfortably finish in the top half and be content in our own ability to perform against other teams then we can ask no more.
    As supporters we need to stop knee jerking and show more solidarity with the Manager and team he chooses.

• September 1, 2013 at 15:20

@Den man: IMO the consistent change of players shows that SL is prepared to give everyone a chance. Only when this "selection" process is complete and maybe one or two new additions have been acquired will we begin to have a settled team. When this happens, I think we will be a match for most in this division. Like you said Den Man, be patient and it will all come right.

• September 1, 2013 at 13:53

He's a liability, cost us two points. Maybe it's time to join tony craig and Scott Barron at brentford?

• September 1, 2013 at 16:16

I watched the goals on TV last night, Millwall's was well worked and a result of some good passing. There is no doubt the sending off tipped the balance and Jimmy was done for pace when he tried to stop the guy crossing. A tad unlucky I thought and there seems to be some tightening in defence because Forde is back. Hopefully the leaking of goals will stop , Shittu played far better than he has been, given time I think we will see a turn around in our club's fortunes.

Just heard Peckham Beckham is looking for a club! Maybe he will pay Millwall to give him a game or two! 🙂

• September 1, 2013 at 16:45

Strange and totally unnecessary decision to send off Dunney, I was shocked that he did it without prior telling off or warning, but god knows why as we should be used to it by now.

On the whole I think we're improving, we did keep it on the deck more and look better for it, and most of the game we pressed Brighton and stopped them playing, but there's a fragility that comes from having 2/3 wins in 2013. After the goal we tried to park the bus for 40 minutes and you could tell what was likely to happen. Abdou for Henry; Jimmy worked tirelessly but as Brighton chased the game and left gaps at the back, I thought a Henry or Martin could have nicked a second in those circumstances. Instead we just had Woolford & McDonald getting forward. For all this, when the Spanish fancy dans finally started playing they could have had four.

Big positive was McDonald's performance, even though he was feeding off scraps and had three defenders sitting on him and there were a lot of long balls to a dwarf. He dropped back to look for the ball and ended up being target man, playmaker and pivot for all our creative moves. Really tussled with them and caused problems in difficult circumstances. Henry's set pieces are increasingly pathetic, I'd try Feeney or Martin in his place until he sorts himself out.

• September 1, 2013 at 19:49

We were up to the heady heights of 18th for a while yesterday. ..gutted about the last minute goal..but I still cant believe some people are still criticising Lomas...surely its dunney fault. ..its starting to get to a witchhunt and rather embarrassing. ...my point of view !

• September 1, 2013 at 22:44

Getting booked for taking your time at a throw in is b***ocks and if you look at the second yellow in slow motion, he gets the ball first, so that isn't even a foul. Dunne was very unlucky, but I agree we need more quality at right back