Millwall winger desperate to force his way into Lomas' plans

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

MARTYN Woolford admitted he had a point to prove against Nottingham Forest last night after starting the season on the fringes of Steve Lomas' squad.

And the winger, 27, hopes his performance at the City Ground was enough to put him in contention for Saturday's Championship clash against Brighton.

The Lions lost 2-1 after extra time but Woolford was one of the standout performers.

"That was my first run out in a while so I was tired after 90 minutes, let alone 120, but it's nice to be on the pitch and I enjoyed it," he said.

"Obviously we are all very disappointed with the final result but I'm glad to be a part of it again. I was pretty pleased with my performance but the team comes first and we wanted to be in the next round of the cup.

"I was desperate to score. I've not been playing so I had a little bit of a point to prove and places are up for grabs for the Brighton game. I'm desperate for the shirt and I'm trying to prove my worth.

"I thought I had scored once or twice but the 'keeper made a few good saves. I'm always going to try and get on the scoresheet because I've come here as a goalscoring midfielder.

"I'm obviously gutted that I've not played a minute of league football this year, so I'm getting my head down in training and doing everything I can to get myself in the starting line up."

Woolford says Millwall need to work on their defending ahead of the trip to the Amex Stadium, having conceded twice from set pieces against Forest.

He said: "It's not necessarily just down to the defenders – we're letting in goals from corners so everyone, the whole team, needs to be a little bit sharper and on the ball.

"For their first goal, they played a quick one and we weren't organised quickly enough. We've been getting punished for those little things and that happened again, so it's back to the training ground.

"If that had been a league game we would have come away with a point after 90 minutes, so there are positives to take out of the performance.

"There are still things that we need to iron out as a team and we'll be working hard over the next couple of days to do that."

41 thoughts on “Millwall winger desperate to force his way into Lomas' plans

• August 29, 2013 at 11:02

Indeed Martyn,but it wasn't a league game,and they played their reserves!!!

• August 29, 2013 at 23:31

@dave:

I was there forest reserves ? take a look at the team they put out and the team we put out they had players that cost millions. We played them off the park and Woolford was outstanding.

• August 29, 2013 at 11:26

This is the attitude we need from all of our players! I'd rather watch a not so talented player give 110% week in week out than a more gifted player not playing for our shirt!

• August 30, 2013 at 11:16

@el tel:
      On the whole I would rather like players with ability and a reasonably competent manager able to motivate the team, select people in positions they are able to fill and choose sensible tactics.

I wouldn't have thought that was too much to ask but there you go.

In the meantime however I note that players most supporters have regularly slagged off as "deadwood" eg Malone, Woolford, Easter, Feeney et al have suddenly become the flavour of the month. There are even calls for Marquis to get yet another chance. People may be right about some or all of these guys (and I for one think Feeney has looked better going forward than he is given credit for). But most of them are honest journeymen who although they might run through a brick wall for you wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do if they survived the experience and made it through to the other side. That might be ok in Division 1 - and we may soon have the chance to test that. But it won't do in the Championship.

• August 29, 2013 at 11:29

On a different point Marlon King is available. Goal scorer springs to mind or at least if we sign him he won't be banging in hatricks against us! Should be 6 points against Birmingham this year in that case

• August 29, 2013 at 11:36

@el tel: can't see Marlon King coming to the Den, not after all the stick we've given him
      SHE SAID NO MARLON, SHE SAID NO,
      SHE SAID NO MARLON, SHE SAID NO,
      SHE SAID NO MARLON, SHE SAID NO,
      OH MARLON, SHE SAID NO!

• August 29, 2013 at 11:42

@Syd the Lion: It's a shame Marlon wouldn't come and play for Millwall, he'd be very good for us. As for that hat-trick, it turned the game around and we could with a player that could do that.

• August 29, 2013 at 11:52

@Syd the Lion: lol but I think you would be surprised he would come here because he is from just around the corner

• August 29, 2013 at 14:39

@el tel: Marlon King has a court case for a hit and run (by car) and the reason for him leaving Birmingham and not playing final few months of last season.

• August 29, 2013 at 22:14

@Syd the Lion: I say NO Marlon - too much money and a proper pr...ck. Well played Woolford, deserves a chance IMO

• August 29, 2013 at 12:12

@el tel: He'd want a fat wage no doubt! oh yeah... and he's a tw4t!!

• August 29, 2013 at 13:39

@el tel: I repeat my previous post, a 33yo scumbag, are we that desperate?

• August 29, 2013 at 15:29

@el tel: if we had no strikers at all, and Marlon King offered to play for us wage free, I still wouldn't want that low life at my club.

• August 30, 2013 at 00:33

@el tel: personally he's a nonce, he can f.ck off

• August 29, 2013 at 11:47

I respect Woolford's desire and effort. But , I can't understand how he became a professional left winger. Has he ever beaten a man ? Unless you're David Beckham , I feel wingers should go past defenders. I don't see him improving our side at all and probably to be fair has a very limited future with us. I wish him well all the same.

• August 29, 2013 at 12:50

@Block 8: as el tel said earlier I would rather see our fringe players giving 110 percent for us than the pr??s that just want to amble about & pick up there wages & think they are doing us a favour . Lets do it SAT ,,,,,,,,,,,,C O Y L .

• August 29, 2013 at 13:46

@Block 8: I seem to remember him doing a pretty professional job against us at Wembley a few years ago! By all accounts he played well last night and I'm not sure what we should expect for a 100k transfer fee these days! (-:~

• August 29, 2013 at 14:17

@lion.ie:
        Yeah you get what you pay for. Remember it was the league one final he scored against us in. I think that is where he's at , can't see any championship club taking Woolford from us can you ?

• August 29, 2013 at 14:25

@Block 8: i blame the fatness coach...sorry fitness coach !!!

• August 29, 2013 at 15:02

Well done Woolford, a gritty performance & a great attitude. Keep that up mate you'd be the first name on my teamsheet!

• August 29, 2013 at 15:59

Woolford played well last night. Linked up nicely with Malone and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. Won a few good headers and always challanges in the air. Thought he was better than Feeney to be honest.

• August 29, 2013 at 19:47

@roders:
      Could you see him as an option at left back ? Winning headers etc sounds interesting cos I really don't see him as a permanent fixture on the wing.

• August 29, 2013 at 20:37

@Block 8: He sounded more effective last night than Henry has been lately, actually got some shots on target, headers and passes to feet. Look and learn JH!

• August 29, 2013 at 22:09

I reckon that's a good shout, remember how well Chris Hacket did when he played right back one season, he looked a class above.@Block 8:

• August 29, 2013 at 23:33

@Block 8: no ...... Malone at left back , Woolford left wing, excellent together

• August 29, 2013 at 22:49

If we're stuggling that much for forwards why not take a punt on Aiden O'Brien.

• August 30, 2013 at 08:24

@Windsor Lion: Agree. Good enough for Ireland but not for our first team! The experience he's gaining with the international side must make him ready enough to at least give him a go

• August 30, 2013 at 09:52

@Profiler4: Ireland U21 is a long, long way from being an international.

• August 30, 2013 at 11:14

@lion.ie: It's not a long long way from being a first team player at Millwall

• August 29, 2013 at 23:51

I don't want Marlon King no more than I wanted Marlon Harewood.
    Highly paid, well past it 'has beens' who are trying to ply their trade with anyone daft enough to give them a contract.
    If the board are willing to give it a go, then we should sign someone from the lower leagues who we can bring along and develop.
    See that Forde has been called up for the Internationals, so is fit one assumes, so he has to replace Bywater on Saturday. Robinson to keep Shittu well away from a first team shirt until he gets back to where he was last season. Interesting that Woolford is quoted as saying that places are up for grabs on Saturday. On that basis, and based on performances last night and returns from injuries/illnesses, I'd like to see our team as follows-

Forde
    Dunne Robinson Beevers Malone
    Henry Bailey Chaplow Woolford
    McDonald Keogh
    Subs- Bywater Lowry Smith Shittu Derry Martin Marquis
    But more likely, we'll have Derry starting, Chaplow out of position on the wing and Bywater starting.

• August 30, 2013 at 09:54

@NICKOLA: Well said, and I fear you may be right re the Saturday line up, which is going to test the patience of all of us unless he gets a result.

• August 30, 2013 at 10:09

@NICKOLA:
      Amen to that starting xi but judging from Lomas' apparent inability to learn from what he's seen so far, I fear it's wishful thinking.

The only thing that gives me any comfort is that we seem to be slowly improving. Don't get me wrong - given the potential of our squad, we are nowhere near as good as we should be but we are measurably better than the shower of sh*t we were on the opening day of the season.

• August 30, 2013 at 10:48

@NICKOLA: I would not leave Feeney out he did well in the week and was instrumental in the goal. Trotter may also be involved I supsect as a sub. But the choice is up to the manager. I hope they can defend better from set pieces and also stop giving silly fouls away.

• August 30, 2013 at 11:30

Can't see Trotter being risked. Derry was cup tied midweek so presumably he'll be in the squad instead.
        Feeney, Woolford, Henry and Martin all vying for 2 places, or not as the case may be, if Lomas persists in putting Chaplow on the wing. Martin can play on either wing or, as Les has suggested, supporting the front player. Personally, I'm a bit of a die hard when it comes to the Millwall attack, and would always go for 2 up front. Maybe when I'm the 'real' Millwall manager and not in the cyber world, I'll be able to play my balanced team. Perchance to dream........

@Peckhamlad:

• August 30, 2013 at 10:49

@NICKOLA: Don't usually play at team selection but a sensible line up with proper formation although I'd drop Keogh and put Martin just behind the midget Aussie. My next tactic would be to instruct the team to consistently pass the ball to each other before having goal efforts on target. This tactic would shock the awesome Brighton fans in to silence so they wouldn't be scary and the Brighton team would be so gob smacked we'd be 6 - 0 up before they recovered from the shock. That way we go on to win an exciting game 6 - 5

• August 30, 2013 at 11:32

I think we're going to have to be further ahead than 6-0 to get a result tomorrow, unless Lomas studies this forum and follows the advice most people are giving.

@Old_Les:

• August 30, 2013 at 12:02

@Old_Les: Ha Ha Les good one, but do we have anyone who would know how to pass to there own team that's the worry mate.

• August 30, 2013 at 11:52

martyn woolford said he had a point to prove against forest,and he went on to have a really good game.what martyn and many others have to understand is that they need to prove a point in every game they play, thats their job and what they get paid for.so all those defensive mistakes [not attacking the ball at set pieces ,leaving the opposition with virtuall free headers] have to be addressed,also the forwards missing chances that harry rednaps wife could have scored have to be taken.do the forwads and defese get extra practice at trying to eradicate these faults from their game if not why not [please answer sl].to me it looks as if its the players from kj time are letting us down in the areas i have stated now if they have a problem with sl they need to get their act together and get stuck in at sorting these problems out.to be fair to sl i think he has definatly strengthened the side with his signings and its the old guard are the ones letting millwall down.when i think about if we had made half the just defesive mistakes,and taken half the good chances we missed and should have taken we would have 4 points and be in the next round of the cup,imo we are not far off of getting it right. so come on players step up a gear help get the anti sl moaners off sl back its up to you guys.this post is not out to knock the team but to highlight what is so obviously wrong.so please defenders attack the ball at corners and set pieces and close the opposition down quicker when they are in shooting positions outside the box and forwards more shooting practice.

• August 30, 2013 at 23:56

While i dont dislike MW i feel he has put in a lot of effort in the last few weeks to try and justify his position in the squad, and should SL feel it needs him in the squad i will agree. If what he says is true and he can add goals to what we have seen then so be it, however if this is just a way to shirk what MFC is all about i will be irked!!!