Millwall boss unlikely to risk fit-again Trotter against Forest

© Kieran Galvin
© Kieran Galvin

STEVE Lomas says he is unlikely to risk Liam Trotter against Nottingham Forest, despite the midfielder's return to U21 action last week.

Trotter has resumed full training after a knee injury but Lomas has admitted that he may hold the 25-year-old back until after the international break in September.

The Lions face Nottingham Forest in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday.

"We have got to be careful," Lomas said. "If you push players too hard you end up breaking them down. In an ideal world we would love to give Liam 30 minutes against Forest but that might not be wise.

"We have to look at the bigger picture. He's got two weeks to play a couple of games during the international break and he'll be in a much better position then."

Asked whether he is planning sweeping changes to his team, Lomas said: "Probably not. There are one or two who we want to get a game but we've got quite a few injuries. Steve Morison and Jermaine Easter won't be fit but James Henry should be okay.

"We thought Jermaine had a chance for last Saturday but we had to pull him out on the Friday. We don't want to risk him because he hasn't been training. If he pulls his hamstring we could end up missing him for three or four weeks. We have not been blessed with the greatest of luck.

"Forest are a good team and probably have about 30 players in their squad who are good enough to play in the Championship. We're going to have to play well."

11 thoughts on “Millwall boss unlikely to risk fit-again Trotter against Forest

• August 28, 2013 at 12:33

Be interesting to see a fit trotter dont think I ever have

• August 28, 2013 at 12:42

DON'T FORGET THE KIT!!!!!!!!!!!

• August 28, 2013 at 12:43

Trotter is technically fit so Derry should go back. We don't need him anymore and if s*** hits the fan then Wright and Abdou can cover.

• August 28, 2013 at 13:17

@NICKOLA: Nick thats too simple as it mite free up some money to try to get someone who is half decent mate.

• August 28, 2013 at 14:02

@NICKOLA: NIK & Barnlion. I don't mean this disrespectfully but do you go to games? The reason why i say this is because in the 2 games i have seen him (Huddersfield & Ipswich) he has arguably been in the top 3 players for effort and quality and i have heard reports that he was again one of our better players at Hillsborough. Why would want to send Derry back if it will weaken the team. He also plays a completely different role to Trotter. If you had Trotter in the team you would want Derry and Bailey holding the midfield so you could allow Chaplow, Trotter & Henry/Martin to support the front player.

If Trotters come back against Swansea is anything to go by, we have got the Trotter that we want coming back. It will be like a new signing for Lomas and this new team and will hopefully tie our midfield together.

• August 28, 2013 at 14:54

@Windy: Hi Windy I know that you dont but I cant speak for Nick, but yes I do go to games and I am suffering like the rest of us, but getting back to your point, both games you mention about him being in the top 3 for effort & quality he may have been.

But as you know we got nothing from either game so he actually never had any part in getting us any points in either game, I know it is not just down to him its a team game but some players can change a game, but I am not sure he is one of those, and regarding Trotter I hope you are right because its something I never thought that I would see in my lifetime, but his triumphant return against Swansea City's under twenty one side sounds like it was something to behold.

Lets us hope for the sake of Millwall that he can reproduce preformances like that when he comes back, as it will be a totally different Liam Trotter to the one who played before this injury.

• August 28, 2013 at 16:37

@Barnlion: I don't speak for anyone apart from myself when i say (IMHO) that Derry has been one of our better players so why should we be sending him back - that was my point. I agree he is not a player that can change a game, but he does turn defense into attack very effectively so quite an important cog in the machine so still don't get your agreement in sending him back. I cant help but detect a slight hint of sarcasm when you refer to Trotters comeback game against Swansea, it was a very good performance and showed the side of Trotter we all want to see, and the fact that he played through an injury for much of latter part of last season may explain he's poor form....time will tell i suppose.

• August 28, 2013 at 15:09

Your line-up means playing one up front. In my opinion that won't work.

@Windy:

• August 28, 2013 at 16:48

We can't score with two up front as it is. IMO our best combination is Morison and McDonald - if the ball is played to their feet. I can't see a 5 man midfield supporting a sole striker though I'd be interested to see that tonight.

@Windy:

• August 28, 2013 at 15:03

it will be great to have Trotter back in the side but wise to not chance him tonight, gaining points is far more important than this egg cup.