Dunne: Road trip a chance for Millwall to gain confidence

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

ALAN Dunne is hoping three successive away games will enable Millwall to build up some confidence before they next play at The Den in mid-September.

The Lions hit the road on Saturday for their trip to Sheffield Wednesday, before travelling to Nottingham Forest and Brighton the following week.

That may come as a relief to some of Millwall's players, given that they have won just 15 of their last 48 matches on home soil in the Championship.

But Dunne believes the Lions could find the remedy to their home form on their travels.

He said: "It's a chance for some of the boys to pick up some confidence away from The Den. Hopefully by the time we next play at home, we'll have picked up some points and there will be a good buzz.

"I don't know if there is a fear of playing at The Den, it is probably more of a confidence thing – a lack of confidence and inexperience, perhaps.

"The Den is a difficult place to play but it can change very quickly; a strong tackle or a good cross and the crowd are up. I'd rather we were playing at home if I'm being honest.

"It's fantastic when that’s happening but the players have got to be able to handle both sides of it. That's what we get paid for."

Wednesday did the league double over Millwall last season, so Dunne feels there is a score to settle at Hillsborough.

He said: "I felt we deserved more out of both games. We conceded a couple of sloppy goals early on in the away game, and the late goal killed us at home.

"Miguel Llera is the one we’ve got to keep quiet because he has a habit of scoring against us. They're a huge, physical side but I feel we've got more quality than them."

37 thoughts on “Dunne: Road trip a chance for Millwall to gain confidence

• August 23, 2013 at 11:26

Good luck lads - lets get some points on the board and give the rest of us some rest bite from the anti Lomas brigade

• August 23, 2013 at 11:28

I don't think Dunne is the best full back in the world but you can't fault his attitude.

• August 23, 2013 at 11:43

Whenever a manager tries something clever and the defence starts leaking they always bring Dunney back in, same will happen this season I am sure. He is much better than people give him credit for.@NICKOLA:

• August 23, 2013 at 11:29

Some things never change. lol

• August 23, 2013 at 12:32

@Sealion: you make the point iv been trying to make about the 3 losses yes i agree with other posters we aint played great,but if we were not sloppy with all goals against us and took just a few of the goal chances we could have 3/4 points and dont forget both yeovil and hudfield goalkeepers made a couple of good saves which on another day could have been goals.i do hope the knockers get off sl back because it must have an effect on the team as far as morale and confidence is concernend i suppose we could call them the enemy within.

• August 23, 2013 at 13:28

@jim1222: I agree with you boys all the way - its not that we're playing terrible just sloppy mistakes have cost us - I think the side and SL will come good in the next few weeks!

• August 23, 2013 at 11:41

Sealion .. Just what I was thinking mate this sloppy goal syndrome how many games/ seasons we gonna keep ranting on about it surely its must be obvious to our defence coach there's problems , give me the coaching bib I'll sort for f... K all wages .

• August 23, 2013 at 11:46

Fair play Alan if this is truely your views, and it shows that you beleive in what SL is trying to do and lets hope that you are right regarding picking up points, but you are one of the lads that will be in the fireing line tomorrow, we need a clean sheet at least, so that we can start to building from that.

But if you are able to take all thre points the better, but that still wont take away the size of the task that SL still needs to do to turn this into a half decent season, lets hope that the rest of the boys are in the same frame of mind as you.

Even if you do go behind keep your shape keep your disipline and try to play football and dont be panicked into that long ball game also Chaplow has to play centre midfield tomorrow as well.

• August 23, 2013 at 11:59

I think Lomas will play 451 tomorrow because he needs to get the midfield tightened up and he badly needs a point.
      Bywater
      Dunne Robinson Beevers Malone
      Henry Bailey Derry Chaplow Martin
      McDonald.
      If he plays that team and they show some application, I'll be off his back for one.
      DNG will be on the bench soley because it's an away game. Too hot a potato at the moment to be playing at home.
      @Barnlion:

• August 23, 2013 at 12:16

@NICKOLA: IMO Nick, if SL's going to the likes of Wednesday looking for a point at this stage of the season and after losing our first three then he's already in trouble. Morison has to play, even from the LP highlights you can see that he's a genuine threat at this level. I haven't seen enough of Malone so I'll bow to your judgement on that, but unless Derry is staying, and that seems doubtful now, he has to make way. I have a gut feeling for a win tomorrow, it's due and Wednesday are no great shakes and currently have the same problems playing at home as we do. One of my pre-season tips for the drop.

• August 23, 2013 at 11:59

good luck lads...lets have a clean sheet and maybe sneak a winner

• August 23, 2013 at 12:17

I'm not knocking Dunne but it comes to something when the players are 'that' nervous or scared that they are looking forward to three away games on the bounce. Says something about the lack of confidence brought about by all the negativity and booing by some of our fans. I await the torrent of abuse for saying what is blatantly obvious to see.

• August 23, 2013 at 12:39

@SE11 Lion: Bang On! No matter how good a player may be, if his first touch in a game results in a poor first touch and the fans start shouting disgusting insults (as they could obviously do better), the player (particularly at Wall and in this division) is going to hide for the rest of the game until he gets a good touch or bangs a good tackle in! Confidence grows or depleats, not telling you lot to suck eggs but hold ya thought for once and give some encouragement rather insulting his mother!!!

• August 23, 2013 at 13:34

@sketchybean:
        This is the point I made earlier in the week. This proves our players are S**t scared of making a mistake at home and look forward to playing away.
        We should be makng the oppo s**t scared. Support the club no matter what. COYL.

• August 23, 2013 at 12:34

Just a little pointer to where teams were after three games last season:
    Top Six: Blackpool (9pts), Wednesday (7), Blackburn (7), Bristol C (6); Watford (6); Middlesbro (6). Blackpool won their first three with a +11 goal difference and went on to win 11 of their next 43! Bristol City won only nine more games.
    It's still very early days. (-:~

• August 23, 2013 at 12:41

@lion.ie: Different season, different circumstances, different manager, and if the gap gets bigger there legs will start to go and there heads will drop. History does not mean anything at this stage, they all know they need to improve a great deal and keep it very tight at the back.

All this is easy to say but what ever 11 Lomas puts out has to do the job, or things will begin to look very bleak for our future, but if he picks the right players and in the right positions then they can hopfully give a good account of themself's and pick up something from the game.

• August 23, 2013 at 13:37

@Barnlion: It wasn't meant to be a totally serious point, but it is an indication of how quickly things can turn. You are right, 'history does not mean anything at this stage' but history will give us more of an indication of where we'll end up as the season progresses. We need a minimum 13 points from the next six if other peoples close season dreams of the play offs are to be kept alive, anything less and it's mid table mediocrity or worse. Lomas needs more time, how much time he might get will depend on these next six games and what JB's expectations for the season were (IMO). As I've said previously, I think Wednesday are there for the taking on Saturday and have a gut feeling for the win (at nearly 3/1).

• August 23, 2013 at 13:31

@lion.ie: Loving these stats!! COYL!!!

• August 23, 2013 at 13:40

@TheBermondseyBomber: Well I did tell everybody in early March that we had too many points to go down based on historic trends! Cacking myself at 4.30 on the last day! ha ha ha

• August 23, 2013 at 14:11

@lion.ie: At least you had your stats to wipe your a@@e on. Haha.

• August 23, 2013 at 14:18

@Sealion: Hopefully I won't be doing the same with my 3/1 away win (virtual) betting slip at the same time this Saturday! (-:~

• August 23, 2013 at 12:38

Maybe our players need one of us banging a drum for home games (like at Palarse) or should we all wear big foam hands and wave lots of flags, finished off with cheer leaders at half time 'WHOOP WHOOP'......or maybe they need to have a teaspoon of cement and harden the fu@k up.
    COYL

• August 23, 2013 at 13:07

It absolutely amazes me that whenever anyone suggests that we should stop abusing our own players all you get are childish remarks about foam hands and turning into Charlton. I am proud of the fact that we are different from most other fans and have taken many friends/family to the Den, most support bigger clubs and they have all come away buzzing. It is a unique atmosphere. Even more so when the fans are all behind the team. And that's the point. When we act like cavemen we make our players nervous and it spurs on the opposition . I've seen it so many times . All I'm saying is, can the fans who s*** off our players in this way not see the damage they are doing?

• August 23, 2013 at 13:27

@SE11 Lion: I'm assuming your comment is aimed at me and I
      think you're missing the point. My point is not with our fans but other teams players coming to the Den and bullying us on the pitch. It wasn't to long ago, we had players like Wisey, Cahill, Muscat etc... all of which would NEVER of let this happen.
      We need to get in teams faces, close them down and if we do that the crowd will follow.

• August 23, 2013 at 13:52

@Syd the Lion: What's changed? Wasn't it always the same praise/abuse levels for our own players down the Den? Some players got it straight away, some took a while to adjust and some could never handle it. We could all name examples to fit the three categories.

• August 23, 2013 at 14:09

@lion.ie:
          Lion.ie, I think that if you look at football in general, the relationship between Football players and Football fans is alot more negative compared to how it was say 20 - 30 years ago or maybe since SKY got involved.
          When you look at what footballer get paid now days, I do laugh when I hear people saying that players get to much stick from us fans.

• August 23, 2013 at 14:16

@Syd the Lion: Spot on mate, I'd sit in a room and let people shout abuse at me all week for what some of these prima donnas get paid. It's only 90 minutes, once or twice a week for them.

• August 23, 2013 at 13:43

@SE11 Lion: Has it ever been any different? Your never going to change this i'm afraid. I'm not saying i s*** off the players but i don't see any problem within reason. That's what set us apart from other club, Yes there are fuckwits that take to far(You get that with every club) but when the team are on song their isn't any better bunch of supporters behind you, but if your not going to put in effort you are going to be told. You have to take the rough with the smooth i'm afraid and i for one ain't going to pay £29 a ticket and sit there like a mute if there are players that are not pulling on that shirt with a bit of pride.....

• August 23, 2013 at 13:53

@Windy: Exactly, better than I said it!

• August 23, 2013 at 13:44

@SE11 Lion: Perhaps you need to consider that what makes the Millwall crowd so unique is the fact they're not slow to tell their own player or the opposition, managers, board and officials exactly what they think. Unlike the foam hand brigade at Palace etc who sit in their and do their silly clappy thing however poor things are on the pitch. I can clearly recall Millwall players getting stick fro their own fans over 50 years ago so nothing's different. By the same token it only needed a good strong tackle or piece of good football or effort to get the crowd quickly back on side - which is very much the case today although the way Lomas's team is currently playing there's little chance of it. Just a shot in the dark but it seems to be from your claim of taking many "bigger club supporting" friends/family to the Den the latter doesn't suggest much of a Millwall bloodline in yours. Nothing wrong with that of course and it's not compulsory or necessary to trace back your fan credentials but it does strike me you know little of the historical values of Millwall support and you may not have that many years experience of it. Again not necessary and perhaps not possible due to your age but it does disqualify you a little from making pronouncements on what Millwall support is and should or shouldn't be. There is also the small matter of people spending a great deal of money and travelling time to support a club and they have the right to voice their opinion. After all they are the fans - or some of them.

• August 23, 2013 at 14:12

F*** you Old Les. I've been going down the den since I was 7, I'm now 43. My family going back before the war have always supported millwall all apart from one cousin. My uncle knocked back a contract with Chelsea in the sixties cause he wanted to play for millwall, sadly millwall didn't rate him. So please don't question weather I can or can't comment on what a millwall fan should or shouldn't be. T*****.

• August 23, 2013 at 17:42

@SE11 Lion: Please explain where exactly I stated that you could or could not comment. Perhaps you can re read this part and take note of the word "little" amongst other qualifying words - "Again not necessary and perhaps not possible due to your age but it does disqualify you a little from making pronouncements on what Millwall support is and should or shouldn't be." I note you ignore the main points I made the first being the stick Millwall fans have always given out and the second the right of paying customers to voice their opinion. Any chance you might answer these or are you going to carry on throwing your toys out the pram in the face of a mild suggestion and genuine point. Any way I'll await your answer but I daresay like all the rest on here I ask it'll be a long time coming. And by the way try spellcheck I find it very useful and I feel it adds a little authority.

• August 23, 2013 at 14:26

Been reading this page all summer and at times find the attitude of our "fans" comical. Yes our crowds are capable of producing a unique and intimidating atmosphere but all too often this seems to be directed at players wearing blue shirts which has always confused me. I love the banter and for me that is a huge part of the millwall experience but at times think too many fans have become obsessed with tearing into wall players rather than the opposition so no surprise we have a shocking win record a home... Just something to think about?
    SL has made some decent signings over the summer, many of which were highly celebrated by optimistic poster on this page but a few weeks and a few defeats later the world has turned on him... I was at the first two home games of the season and agree the team performance was great. However I'm not gonna join in the miserable brigade just yet as I think it's worth remembering the SL has inherited a KJ team that is on the decline and think he deserves at least 10 games to start making his own impression... Regardless what happens I will be at the next home game and the next but would prefer that it was the opponents manager/players we were giving s#+t instead of our own!!

• August 23, 2013 at 14:47

The point I am and always will try to make is if we want the club to succeed and play in the premier league we need to lose that ultra aggressive stance that some have. Look where it's got us in the past. No where. Football has changed. Money,can breed success. The people with money don't want horror stories surrounding their investment. I don't like the way football has gone but its here to stay. I'm not saying don't be passionate, I just think that some people take the p*** with their abuse. Every fan has a right to voice an opinion, but I'm sure that some seem to think that abusing your own is the way forward.Im just saying think about the long term damage this already tarnished club of ours has endured over the years.

• August 23, 2013 at 15:23

Old les is such a p r I c k!

• August 23, 2013 at 17:43

@benzo: That's an extremely enlightened point to make. Can you expand or is that the limit of your vocabulary?

• August 23, 2013 at 21:51

There's a line between giving a player a bit of stick and saying (as I have heard on many games, particularly away games) "grabban you effin black c, sort it out or I'll (in other words) sort ya mother out" kids about at Hereford match and grabban heard it clear as day. I do tho, at the same time believe its hard to hold back, but I think a quick shout of ffs then a "come on son" would just help a little. Only my opinion 🙂