Lomas has no regrets about taking "very tough" Millwall job

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

STEVE Lomas insists he has no regrets about taking the Millwall job despite his baptism of fire in the Den hotseat.

The Lions are enduring their worst start to a league season in 36 years after three straight defeats. And they will set a new club record of seven games without scoring if they do not find the net against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

But Lomas, who quit St Johnstone to move to south London in the summer, is confident he will be able to turn results around.

"If we had been cut open and teams had absolutely ruined us, then I'd be worried," he said.

"But there haven't been much in the games – we haven't taken our chances and we've been giving away some poor goals.

"I have no regrets about coming here. I knew it would be a very tough job because of where we've been in the table since December. But we could quite easily be sitting here with four points, so the margins are very small.

"I'm desperate to do well for the fans and the club – that goes without saying – and of course I want to get that first league win sooner rather than later.

"I want the fans to be positive. I understand that they want to win and that they are frustrated not just with this season, but how things were last season as well. There's a bit of a hangover.

"But any fan would see against Huddersfield last week that we passed the ball well, we tried to attack at every opportunity and we created chances – we just need one of those to go in.

"I am enjoying my time here. I could have stayed up in Scotland and settled there. But I wanted to come here and test myself and this is a real test. I am enjoying it, as perverse as that may seem, but you have to take stock when things aren't going well."

Lomas says Millwall will travel to Hillsborough with an attacking mindset and will not be tempted to grind out a point.

"I want to be positive," he said. "I think that's the way football should be played.

"We've been working on our build up play, getting crosses into the box and generally being positive. If we keep creating chances, the goals will come.

"It will be a very tough game and we'll have to stand up to the physical challenge, that's for certain, because Wednesday are a big side."

77 thoughts on “Lomas has no regrets about taking "very tough" Millwall job

• August 22, 2013 at 10:19

What game was Lomas at Saturday? There was only a couple of chances, he has no idea and wall no points. Give him 5 matches then Chopper a chance.

• August 22, 2013 at 11:26

@AireLys: So if we had managed to get Sir Alex Fergusson here and he lost his first few matches you would all want to fk him off too. You make me fking laugh.

• August 22, 2013 at 11:36

@Sealion: After watching the first couple of matches and if we had created all the chances he goes on about and if the team would tackle and if he stopped using the long ball then yes I think most of us would back him.

• August 22, 2013 at 12:53

@AireLys: we created enough chances to have 3/4 points if those chances had been taken. and lomas did not make the school boy mistakes that cost the three matches it was the players.and if you watched him on the touch line he was angry the defence kept bypassing the mid field so before you make stupid comments open your eyes and think.

• August 22, 2013 at 13:20

@jim1222: OK if he was narked off by the way the players were playing then why does he not come clean and let people know rather than comments of how well we played, the number of chances we had etc etc are we mugs?

• August 22, 2013 at 11:37

@Sealion: I'm with you Sealion! It's crazy talk.... how can we expect a team with 9 new players to click and play wonderful winning football instantly?! I'll start taking notice in October/November the team and SL need time and Support!

• August 22, 2013 at 17:12

@AireLys: I counted 9. Morrison alone had about 5

• August 22, 2013 at 10:27

How the hell are we going to sign anyone when all week and before he is saying that he needs to move people on to free up monies to pay the wages of anyone he gets, this is total B******s NAD stop being part of his smoke and mirrors management style, if he could have stayed up in Scotland, the way he is proforming managing our team I think that an awful lot of us wished he did.

SL dont say anything unless it is of real merit and stop going on talking about all this fantasy style football about who you are after when YOU know there is no chance of getting them, sort out a winning team from the players that you actually have at your disposal.

• August 22, 2013 at 12:46

@Barnlion: i see u dont understand the situation its not sl wanting to move players on before we buy new players its jb and the board are saying it. so why not stop the abuse and lets get on with it.

• August 22, 2013 at 13:58

@jim1222: Jim I think I do see, its not if he wants to move players on its that he is the Millwall manager and part of that job as I am sure you area fully aware of in the English game is both managering the players and budget that your Chairman has freed up for players for the season.

I am sure that when he was interviewed by JB either he told him what the budget was on hopefully SL asked that question very early on in the meeting, so to me it seems simple, he can only spend what was made availible and if he needs anymore "HE" will need to generate those funds.

Very simple economics its the same with kids pocket money they may ask you for more but you might say if you wash my car I will llet you have the money you want, regarding the so called abuse it was just a rough phrase expressing what he was talking about and expecting us to beleive which in its self is nieve of him. Also the point about him staying up in Scotland was again an expession as to his opinion that he could have stayed there but he wanted the challange of manageing Millwall.

• August 22, 2013 at 19:15

@Barnlion: I understand the whole wage buget thing, but didn't we sign all our new boys ss free agents or loans? There must have been money made available for transfers? If that is the case, why not drop the transfer budget and put the difference into the wage pot and get a couple more on a free? Just a thought although Im not 100% sure how the finances work!

• August 23, 2013 at 09:43

@kempo_123: kempo sorry for the delay, but you are right in what you say about free signings, but its what they want to sign for us, if we do not have to pay a transfere fee to there club, they then want a better wage package as there is no manger transfer outlay by Millwall.

So a club with our budget can attract some better signings because we can pay more than we would have if we bought them, also Morrison would be being paid possibly upto 50% of his money by Millwall and thats the same with any loanee.

So JB has a wage budget we SL should know about and he should MANAGE IT by either driving a better deal for the club or off loading those who he thinks are surplus to his requiremnst, so freeing up money for new signings.

• August 22, 2013 at 10:28

He has jumped in the deep-end , and he's realised he can't swim!

• August 22, 2013 at 14:05

@NZlion: I will ask you the same reasonable question as I asked Les the other day. Say you get your way and SL goes who would you realistically replace him with bearing in mind our financial situation and before you reel of Warnock he was not interested as was several other much touted candidates. From what I remember Steve Kean was about the only other viable applicant, and we know what a blinding success he was.

• August 22, 2013 at 21:45

@Sealion: "Steve Kean the only viable applicant" - where on earth did you get that information from? I suggest only speculative gossip either on here from Aldi or in one of the local or daily rags. I doubt that anyone outside the boardroom knows who the applicants were. I also seem to recall our CEO Andy Ambler saying how surprised,impressed and pleased they were at the high calibre of the applicants of which there were very many. Of course he could have been lying. I'd also like to know how you have the information that Warnock wasn't interested - did he phone you? The truth is none of us know and probably never will who applied and who didn't and who wanted the job and who didn't. It does appear thjus far that Lomas talked a much better game than his team is able to play but then of course he did substantial homework on a squad that we all knew was in need of a left side, central midfielders that could play and a couple of strikers one of whom needed to be a target man especially if we were going to hoof it. Still don't seem to have a genuine left winger, got too many centre midfielders, no target man and we are hoofing it. Maybe his homework weren't that through and neither was his knowledge of the squad.

• August 22, 2013 at 22:39

@Old_Les: Les at the time Warnock announced that he was not interested in going back into management, now I know people tell lies but if thats what he said then you have to take it at face value. So that was my basis for saying that he was not an option, and yes I like most of us can only go by what leaks out either through our beloved press or other channels. Maybe Ambler was exaggerating about the quality of applicant maybe not but Lomas was probably the cheaper option because this is MFC after all.
          I am as p***** off by the results and the manner of our defeat as anyone but it was never going to be a quick turn around, it never is especially after our capitulation of last season, there was always going to be a hang over. Now because of the quality of signings all of our hopes were raised (me included) which when it did not pan out badly deflated us.
          Once again all I ask those who want Lomas out now is who would you realistically replace him with? Just saying there are a lot of unemployed managers out there does not answer the question.Many are unaffordable, don't want to come here, or crap. It is so easy to knock everyone and everything but it is a lot harder to be constructive.
          So lets have peoples nominations of who can save our beloved club.

• August 22, 2013 at 10:38

"But any fan would see against Huddersfield last week that we passed the ball well, we tried to attack at every opportunity and we created chances - we just need one of those to go in." Really? Not quite the feedback that's coming from almost all of those there that have commented. We also needed two of those "chances" to have gone in not one. Nothing the man is quoted is quoted as saying gives me a scrap of confidence in his ability. Perhaps if would be useful if Aldu asked him some searching questions rather than assisting in the b******* and PR exercise (however inadvertently)

• August 22, 2013 at 11:01

Dead Man Walking. As a Millwall supporter I'd have loved to see him succeed, but the more I see & hear, the less confidence I have in him.

• August 22, 2013 at 11:03

O FOR F**** SAKE I CANT TAKE THIS B******* FOR MUCH LONGER KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. STOP TALKING TO US LIKE WE ARE MUGS. I WAS AT THE DEN SATURDAY AND WE WAS POOR . SO GET ON WITH IT . GOOD LUCK SATURDAY. TIME TO WALK THE WALK STEVIE BOY. OR F*** OFF.

• August 22, 2013 at 11:17

I have regrets Steve.

• August 22, 2013 at 11:49

He is sounding more like a politician than a football manager feeding us bulls??t what is he talking us for ? Lomas this is MILLWALL not some backwater in jock land ,,,,,,, Clue up or FU!K of back over the border C O Y L ,,,,,,,,,,

• August 22, 2013 at 13:12

I still think Lomas will do a good job. He aint as silly as people think. He's been in professional football for years and years. He's played alongside and against all levels of opponents. His self respect and managerial reputation hinges on us , he aint gonna throw that away lightly........keep the faith. I am.

• August 22, 2013 at 13:32

@Block 8: Block 8, Lets hope your right about himas I am sure we all hope he gets his act together for his and our sakes, but just because he was an half decent player does not mean he is going to be a good manager.

Look at those top players who failed as managers Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Nobby Stiles, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Alan Mullary, Ruud Guillit. So it may be that he is not good enough to do the job even thou he played football at a very high level, look at Fergie & Jose's playing career's not worth a mention so maybe its not his fault.

• August 22, 2013 at 15:27

@Barnlion
        Yeah , I see your point. I just feel people are hitting the panic button too early. The truth is , KJ left us in a poor state albeit higher than when he took over. Had we not loaned Chris Wood , we'd be in League one. Had the season been 2 games longer , we'd be in League one again. SL has an awful lot of work to do that cannot be rectified after 3 games.....

• August 22, 2013 at 23:47

@Block 8: FFS - we didn't loan Wood, KJ did. You can't give with one hand and take with the other. It went wrong for KJ at the end but the fella gave his all for our club and was rewarded with having to answer TV interviewers questions about crowd trouble straight after what should've been one of his proudest days as our manager. I said to the KJ out brigade many months ago to be careful what you wish for and I hope Lomas pulls it around so that the prophecy doesn't come true. If KJ had had the spend that Lomas has been given we would not be nil goals and nil points from three games.

• August 23, 2013 at 08:25

@lion.ie: lion.ie I do think that block 8 meant by us signing he meant the club which would have been KJ and Ambler, I cant speak about the tv interviews that's what you expect when Millwall are reported on by the tv & press.

But getting back to KJ yes we do owe him our thabks 3 Wembly visits during his term at the club and a promotion, but IMO opinion I think he thought and a section of the crowd thought that he had gone as far as he could with Millwall.

He did leave the club in a better position than when he arrivied but also there are a few issues that should have been dealt with while he was still manager, which Lomas has to deal with, but saying that and I it has only been 3 games but I dont think he is up to it in this league.

He should have sorted out who he really wants and who he does not and if he got that right and moved peole on very early he would have been in a better position to bring players in and maybe even bought 1 or 2 with the money he saved on players wages that were surplus to his requirements.

• August 23, 2013 at 09:08

@lion.ie:
            I share your passion for KJ , he done a great job for us and was a wonderful servant. The give in one hand take from the other is a good point and I did appear shallow minded. What I was trying to put across is , we got away with relegation by the skin of our teeth. We lost a long serving manager and SL therefore has a lot to do. I do however , feel we'll be ok and achieve a better placed finish than last season.

• August 23, 2013 at 12:22

@Block 8: We're all on the same side mate and I've never said we'll go down or up. With the players signed we should be mid table. See where we are end of September, take it from there.

• August 22, 2013 at 14:00

Chill pill boys, things will change 3 points away this Weekend. COYL

• August 22, 2013 at 14:06

According to the official Millwall website Liam Trotter may be playing some part in an U21 friendly against Swansea tomorrow. I hope so the team need his inventive skill in midfield. We tend to forget that he is still young but at 6'3 is a dominant player who last season was subject of much speculation and interest from Premiership clubs. (The only one) I can see he and Bailey hitting it off and causing defences a lot of problems. He does play the ball to feet and will create chances for Morrison and Easter. Forde is on the mend to so it is not all doom and gloom!

• August 22, 2013 at 20:24

@Peckhamlad: I like your positivity Peckham it is the easiest to criticise and be negative.
      Although i wouldnt bank on Trotter being too much of a messiah figure he couldnt turn it on last year when required.

• August 22, 2013 at 22:34

@AltheAussieLion: Well he did during the first half of the season which is why a premiership club or two were sniffing about. When he does play well he is better than most of the rest and obviously has a football brain as I can remember some of his incisive passes. He lost touch later but was that because of injury or lack of motivation from KJ? I hope Liam does the business when he returns..fingers crossed.

• August 22, 2013 at 14:43

It doesnt have to be such a tough job. Start doing the simple things right like drop the long ball game, play Chaplow in his correct position, Malone at left back and maybe things will start falling into place.

• August 22, 2013 at 14:46

"But any fan would see against Huddersfield last week that we passed the ball well, we tried to attack at every opportunity and we created chances - we just need one of those to go in. I really hope this manager does well but don't insult us by saying we passed the ball mate.

• August 22, 2013 at 15:13

I've been supporting Lomas since his appointment. He has made some good signings, all of which have improved the squad. The budget went on midfield and attack because he perceived that the defence was sound. He also inherited some poor players. I'm sure he's been trying hard to offload them during the time he was making signings. They are poor players and they will be very hard to move on. Now, we can't sign anyone else because the pot is empty and now unfortunately it's do or die time.
    Pick the best eleven ( That's Shittu out and Robinson in ) and get on with it. The pressure is mounting; which is why quotes now include an overview since last December and not this August.
    There has to be one hell of an improvement from last Saturday at Wednesday this week or we're going to get well and truly spanked 4-0 or worse. It's time to shut up and get on with it.

• August 22, 2013 at 16:06

Agreed, this squad is good enough for mid table. get them working together and stop the moaning.@NICKOLA:

• August 22, 2013 at 23:52

@NICKOLA: Keep the faith Nick, I was never bullish about Lomas but don't see the point in giving up on him after three games. IMO he has six games to get four results, including two wins, that's eight points from nine games (effectively eight from six), that kind of improvement I can live with for a little longer and it will give Lomas a platform.

• August 22, 2013 at 15:19

I think we should give SL a chance but he is showing signs of the naivety of a young and inexperienced manager which is quite alarming. So many easy-on-the-ear summer sound bites and bold statements of intent, showing that he had done his homework on where we lacking - poor home form and lack of goals, when perhaps he should have been a bit more guarded as he was always setting himself up for a fall. Now, after stockpiling with midfielders and forwards and seemingly ignoring the defence it's Sod's law that we still can't score goals or win at home. The foundation for success for any team is a strong defence, all good managers build from the back, if we're leaking soft goals it demoralises the rest of team and puts more pressure on the midfield and attack to deliver. To go to Sheffield on Saturday saying he's going to keep attacking must be music to Dave Jones' ears. Jackett may have had his critics but his response to a losing streak was to galvanise the defence and, at the very least grind out a 0-0. He certainly would not have been going public about possible tactical changes after 2 games as SL did after Ipswich. As for bringing in another big earning midfielder on loan and then saying there is no money left to shore up the defence (no pun intended) well, like I say, it's an alarming display of naively. I really hope he proves all his doubters wrong at Hillsbrough but I really don't see it...

• August 22, 2013 at 15:28

I was looking forward to the new era, looks like it's not goning to happen!

• August 22, 2013 at 15:43

While we still have all our own deadwood onboard we're going nowhere fast and all the brave talk is not warming me over one iota.
    We have accuired some interesting signings for next to nothing and cant afford to pay for more as we're overloaded with first division quality players, I see us heading that way, as our quality of play is top class first division stuff.
    As we don't have the injection of money SL's hands are tied behind his back with all his words of confidence contain more nervous air as I feel now he's bitten of more than he can really handle. Sorry Steve think you should go to save face just like KJ

• August 22, 2013 at 16:07

Off on hols now for a couple of weeks. So when I come back we should have 6 points, in the next round of the Capital cup and Lomas is the best thing since sliced bread. Guess where I’m going..? Dreamland!

• August 22, 2013 at 16:17

Well you're leaving with nil points on the board so it can't get any worse.
      Have a nice holiday.

@AireLys:

• August 22, 2013 at 16:49

@NICKOLA: Thanks Nicola. Went to Fantasy Island last year and saw SL eyeing up all on the girls on the beach. He kept on going on about all those missing chances!

• August 22, 2013 at 16:31

These comments make me laugh. He was probably asked the question 'do your regrt coming to Millwall bearing in mind the start'. What the f*** do you expect him to say? 'yeah its a nightmare and the c***s hate me'. Get real everyone. 3 games in, playing s***, but we had 14 efforts on goal on Saturday, albeit not very good efforts, but there is hope. COYL

• August 22, 2013 at 16:43

As other people have stated, SL hasn't come to Millwall to fail. I also don't understand why people are saying he's not being upfront and honest with the fans. What do you expect him to say 'yeah we played s*** and couldn't score in a brothel' !!!!
    If fans are expecting him to turn things around after 3 games, then you need a serious wake up call.
    It's going to be a long hard season of rebuilding and re-shaping our team, but we have the players to stay in the Championship, no doubt.
    Yes we've lost all our games, yes the football has been dire , but it's not like we've been getting whooped. The goals we're conceded have been sloppy and our players are to blame for that.
    Keep the faith people, JB is no mug and I'm sure if we all get behind the team, SL will find a winning solution.
    COYL.

• August 22, 2013 at 16:57

KJ left the club because he could see that he had f****d up and we were falling fast. We could so easily be starting this season in League One. So with this in mind, tell me one manager who would change our losing habit into a winning one within 3 games. Probably just a handful who could and they are all premiership managers. So we have to be patient and hope that SL proves to be a Premiership top boss of the future.

• August 22, 2013 at 17:35

@Profiler4: KJ did us good for a long time (let's not forget that), but I agree, his time was now up and we needed a change. Sir Alex also had a "near-sacked-experience" before things turned around...;)

• August 23, 2013 at 08:46

@lion.ie: Do you think that KJ had a cunning plan to turn Millwall into a promotion chasing team this season or do you think he left because he may not have been able to save us this season? KJ did well for us for quite a while, no-one can deny that, but he knew a season helping Wolves get promotion was a better option than trying to save us from the drop. Or are you seeing things from a different perspective?

• August 23, 2013 at 11:50

@Profiler4: On one hand I see a decent man and manager who gave his all for Millwall. On the other hand I see a number of ungrateful supporters. None of us really know why he left but it was his decision to move on and arguably this forced the Board into action with regards giving the new Manager more backing. People on here talk a lot about 'deadwood'. Go back and look at our recent squads and see how good KJ was by keeping us up each year with such 'deadwood'. Maybe he was just tired of the same old scene. I don't think, in any of my numerous previous posts, that I have touted Millwall for promotion. I understand exactly what and where our club is.

• August 22, 2013 at 17:13

Why do we need a right back especially. We need. System that's what we need.

You need a cunning plan Mr L

• August 22, 2013 at 17:49

@Lincolnshire Lion: like it , yes we need stability in defence , dont chop and change back four , dunn , robbo , beavers , malone , or lowry as a centre back not left back , someone show a colin copper dvd to lomas , rioch thought he was a fullback , great cb .

• August 22, 2013 at 17:20

Granted, I haven't seen the 3 first league games of the season, being situated in Norway. But I listen in on the radio every game, and I follow every post available.
    Losing 3 in a row is a b****, I get it, but how can anyone think that an entirely new squad and manager is going to put a small club like Millwall in the top from day one? And why do we supporters keep pounding the manager as soon as we have some bumps in the road? We need to look at the whole picture! It's more than just one thing.
    I'm glad to read that a lot of us are willing to give SL and the players some time to figure things out. And for those who aren't: I get the frustration, I'm glad your heart is in it and that you care that much about the club, but hey, support the crew and they'll do better, keep pounding them and they won't! Realize who we are, what we are, and let the team know we got their backs! We're starting off rock bottom, but that'll change, so join in on the adventure from the get-go! COYL! Millwall Supporterts Club Norway's got your back!!

• August 22, 2013 at 17:28

i think the words to look for out of SL comments is ,HE CAME TO TEST HIS SELF , this div is a lot harder then the spl , if it works it works its a big gamble , thats why they only gave him a year , i think and i hope i am wrong , managers have there level , and as honest as he is , its a step to far , his comments are very naive , we must go to weds and not lose , HALF A LOAF IS BETTER THAN NONE , I have been to all the games and backed him , but why is he looking for a rightback , confused left is the problem , if i was dunn i would be proper p***** off .

• August 22, 2013 at 17:32

@munson68: I'm guessing he's looking for more than just a rightback, but right now that's what got published. No?

• August 22, 2013 at 17:43

@Mistagonna: well we see if dunn gets dropped again , didnt deserve to get dropped first time , still puzzled why dunn was marking vaughan sat for the goal , robbo needs to come back in with malone , and be the captain we know he is ,we need a settled back four ,

• August 22, 2013 at 17:45

He's been looking at right and left backs, midfielders and wingers. The only positions I haven't seen mentioned are the centre halves. That might change by 4.45pm this Saturday though.

@Mistagonna:

• August 22, 2013 at 18:23

Phoned up to book a airline ticket, "is that Loams Airlines?" " No Sir, its Virgin" "That's what I mean no one has scored"!

• August 22, 2013 at 18:25

I'm trying to stay as positive about Lomas and the squad as possible but what does bug me is that every time i see the results and match report from the development squad games, it seem that players like Woolford who under perform on a regular basis for the first team score goals. Even DNG scores and can't get in the squad for a game especially when we needed a left winger with Lee Martin not 100% fit. I'd like to see DNG given another chance even just for 45 mins in either a winger or just behind the strikers role. I'm gong to the den tomorrow after my night shift to watch the lads and hopefully see Trotter in action at some point. I'd like to see Saturday a team of DF: Bywater, Dunne Robinson, Beevers, Malone - CMF: Bailey, Chaplow, LW-RW: Martin, Henry / DNG, CF: Easter and McDonald.
    Reason for my selection is SL states he's gonna play attacking football and for me these players are attack minded and as SW are a big side we need players to run the channels and get in behind rather than hoof it long to Morrison. I'm still leaving judgement on Lomas until the end of September and see if he can shift the deadwood or revive what we have as it's a marathon not a sprint but i still don't want to be 10-15 points behind and chasing teams.

• August 22, 2013 at 20:08

@Fozzielion1976: this is a good post fozz worried yes, reservations yes,but most importantly no negative abuse.what i want to see is the players that dont want to play for us hold their hands up and just leave instead of just holding on and drawing their wages,of course this aint going to happen.you mentioned woolford have a look at his poor celebration when scoring against wimbdon,it showed me his heart aint at millwall,so its these people i want out not lomas and the othe players who show some passion for for the club so we must get off the good guys backs and target the slackers for critisisme.

• August 22, 2013 at 20:31

@jim1222: I watched some of the highlights on the Millwall X1 games and even when John Marquis scored he had no celebration at all and just slowly walked back to the centre circle for the kick off. Lomas does not want to fail and i'm sure he won't once we are settled and have a fit squad of players. looking forward to Trotter coming back in for some creativity in the middle and i think he will gel with Bailey well. Staying positive as i really think SL will turn this around and we will see results go in our favour soon.

• August 23, 2013 at 10:53

@Fozzielion1976:the dressing room was lost by kj last season.sl said hes starting a clean slate,so dont these players realise by showing a lot more passion for the club,not only will it bring the fans onside the manager will have a differant view of them.

• August 22, 2013 at 22:40

@Fozzielion1976: I totally agree about DNG he should be in the squad, he is fit, gets forward and passes well. Feeney ought to be there as well.

• August 22, 2013 at 18:58

Stop moaning you boring c**** we will win on sat!

• August 23, 2013 at 08:34

Benzo that's my sentiment aswell 3 points sat then people will still moan fickle fu.kers.

• August 23, 2013 at 09:47

Fans getting on the manager's back THIS EARLY ON when, inevitably, it will take time for things to "click" will result in this: a manager sacked by Christmas, a big struggle to attract a new one, relegation in the process, a sequence of 5 managers over the next couple of years and the same old 6 or 7 years slugging it out in the 3rd tier for football. We've seen the likes of it before. He needs support and a chance if this cycle is to be prevented.

• August 23, 2013 at 09:47

I know I'm repeating myself and many others when I say I don't care what he says in interviews. We've had a poor start, no doubting, I'm sure he's not ringing journo's up to give his two peneth - they ring him, especially because of the ex hamster status - he has to say something.
    All I care about is what happens on the pitch - we do have some decent players and I think only the most blinkered of person could say we haven't got a better squad than last year. We are not going to sack him after 3 or 5 games so I can't see the point of not supporting him and the team. I'm concerned like others, but some of the over reaction has been comical; if it doesn't work out he'll be on his way soon enough. I'm sure we all hope he succeeds because if he does, we do, so why can't we do all we can as supporters to give him the best chance- if the players adopted the stance of some of the fans we'd go down faster than a bride's draws. Only time will tell!!! COYL

• August 23, 2013 at 10:14

@Adsy77777: Well said Adsy and as of yet not one of the SL out brigade has offered any realistic alternative to Lomas. Easy to s*** off but constructive criticism takes thought and imagination, say no more !

• August 23, 2013 at 10:57

@Sealion: dead right because they dont think before opening their mouths.

• August 23, 2013 at 12:07

@Sealion: Agreed, who would want to come to us anyway?? Budget spent and a trigger happy reputation - I say it again, look at the mess Blackburn got themselves into? - I personally think there is more at stake here than just SL's reputation. I also feel for the chairman, he's paid his money and made his choice. For my mind we are all in this together, between us, we've got to give this every chance to succeed.

• August 23, 2013 at 10:09

What he needs is to get the new signings playing and stop making excuses , play football how its meant to be played on the floor we do have good players but stop bypassing the midfield with long balls.

• August 23, 2013 at 16:26

I think that some of the people on here want SL to fail just so they can say I TOLD YOU SO.
    What we have to remember is if SL fails then Millwall fails.
    Let's all just get behind him & the team.
    Come on you lions