Millwall striker eyes first league start against Huddersfield

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

STRIKER Jermaine Easter is hoping to make his first Championship start of the season at home to Huddersfield Town on Saturday.

Easter was on the bench against Yeovil and Ipswich but manager Steve Lomas has hinted he could make changes to his team after back-to-back losses.

"Hopefully the gaffer thinks of me as being fit and hungry enough to play from the start," Easter said. "All I can do is train hard every day, make some kind of impact when I am involved and hopefully things will improve.

"I'll get better the more regular football I play. If I can get a run of games and a run of goals, I feel I will grow into the player that I can be when I'm at my best."

Easter believes Lions fans should stay calm despite the side's stuttering start to the campaign. He said: "I was at Palace last year when they lost their first three league games but ended up getting promoted.

"The lads here didn't have the best of starts last year either – they lost five of their first seven but were in the play-offs by Christmas. There are things that the manager is looking to put right so the only way is up.

"I've been really impressed with Steve and what he's trying to do. He's very enthusiastic. He'll have a crack with the lads when needs be, but when we're on the training ground it's down to work and there's no nonsense. He wants to improve the lads. I feel that once things click, we'll have a right go."

20 thoughts on “Millwall striker eyes first league start against Huddersfield

• August 16, 2013 at 12:42

I like J.Easter and hope he does get a start hard worker and can steal goals too like at Charlton away last season just need to stop this hoofing up from defence.

• August 16, 2013 at 12:51

Maybe Easter and McDonald to start then with Keogh and Morison on the bench. Still think that McDonald and Morison could be a deadly duo, but they do need the service so changes to the midfield fomations imperative.

• August 16, 2013 at 23:29

@NICKOLA: Morrison needs a kick up the a*** to get him to where he was before he is not putting the effort in

• August 16, 2013 at 12:51

Well you have to say that his goal scoring record in the leauge is no worse than any other player at the club in the league this season, but at the Crawley game he looked fit shapre and well up for it, he put himself about a bit as well (thats what we like a bit of bite in the game).

I hope he gets a chance and we get a bit of luck infront of goal as well, as I say who cant do any worse than those who have played the last two league matches, good luck Jermaine and COYL!!!! dont lets us down 3 weeks running.

• August 16, 2013 at 13:19

I like the positive and confident attitude of Jermaine. I too hope he gets a chance to show his best and has luck in front of goal. He is quick and plays the ball well. I was impressed the way he and DNG worked together in the pre season friendly at the Den. I hope the latter gets his chance as well.
    Get the goals Jermaine and you will keep your place in the side. 3 points tomorrow!

• August 16, 2013 at 13:33

Easter & McD up front sounds good to me show passion and put in a good shift & Morro will have to shape up to get his place back in the side we need players fighting to get in the team .Our season starts tomorrow 3 points & onwards & upwards !!!!!!!!!! C O Y L

• August 16, 2013 at 13:46

I like him
    He looked good last season is a complete team player wears his heart on his sleeve and always manages to get a couple shots in
    But
    Unfortunately he can't finish for s*** which will ultimately keep him on the bench
    I do believe he deserves a couple starts though

• August 16, 2013 at 13:53

I agree, give him a start and get players fighting for their position and the cause.
    The constant long ball needs to stop, surely we are better than that.

• August 16, 2013 at 14:19

Well what do you think supporters do I start him and go with someone else and maybe bring him on if it is not going to plan, let me know please.

• August 16, 2013 at 14:25

M&M should start. Easter to come on if one of them isn't pulling their weight.

@lomas a ledgend:

• August 16, 2013 at 14:36

@lomas a ledgend: lomas a ledgend don't forget the sliced oranges and the magic sponge on Saturday!

• August 16, 2013 at 15:13

@bertie: Hi Bertie, I wish I did have a real magic sponge as I would try to conjour up some wins for us, and this would also take some of the pressure off me, now that the Chairman has given me a vote on confidence ??.

I am worried about slicing the Oranges incase I cut myself, so I may ask DNG as he has got a pair of gloves that someone kindly threw back to him from the stands last season.

• August 16, 2013 at 14:34

IMO mcdonald should start with either easter or keogh alongside him, morison and henry have been dissapointing so far and should be benched. Would also love to see chaplow and bailey BOTH playing in the centre, oh and robbo/beevers pairing at the back

• August 16, 2013 at 15:04

You're right about Chaplow and Bailey IMO. Trouble is that he's brought Derry in now and if we want two wingers (Martin must start tomorrow) he can't put 3 in the middle. Robinson (if fit) and Beevers
      are the best centre backs at the moment.
      My personal team for tomorrow would be-
      Bywater
      Dunne Robinson Beevers Malone
      Henry Bailey Chaplow Martin
      McDonald Morison
      @henryMFC:

• August 16, 2013 at 19:46

@henryMFC:

and Keogh hasn't been disappointing? Well I suppose you could say he's picked up from where he did not get started last season - although I do know there were reasons. I'll be disappointed if either he or Jimmy start tomorrow. I would not be upset if Easter started. he looked up for it v Wimbledon - but I've never known a player get caught offside so often so he needs to sort that out

• August 16, 2013 at 14:38

I like Easter, Give him a chance I say.

• August 16, 2013 at 15:27

I reckon Easter and McDonald could be a right handful upfront together.

• August 16, 2013 at 17:14

I think we should play 4-3-3 because Moro definitely has the ability to score goals all he needs is the service and also McDonald sounds like a very versatile player able to play out wide or can come in and try to score himself.
    Easter is the same he can play many in different areas upfront but the midfield has to pick it up, Chaplow in the centre as i believe he can combined with Henry on the wing along with someone else not sure who maybe Martin can be a terror and then we have good strikers and midfielders to put in the squad incase of injury or any other issues.
    the defense isn't easy but i personally wouldn't play Shittu as he isn't the fastest player i would play Lowry, Robinson, Beevers, Dunne and i cant wait for Forde to come back as i cant stand that piece of S**t in goal at the minute.

• August 16, 2013 at 21:34

I think Easter looks good apart from his finishing but I think once he gets a goal more will follow. He had so many good chances against AFC that he got into himself but just let himself down with the finishing but he looks up for it and pretty sharp compared to the others. Need to get the ball on the ground to the forward men though and not hoofed up the field to them to give them a decent chance.

• August 17, 2013 at 04:43

Can anyone tell who signed Easter I thought he was on loan last season. Which manager or employee at the club gave him a contract