Exclusive: QPR midfielder Derry fancies longer Millwall stay

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

SHAUN Derry has only been at Millwall for a matter of days – but he is already sold on the idea of a permanent move.

The midfielder made his Lions debut against Ipswich Town last weekend after signing on a month's loan from QPR.

And Derry is hoping to impress sufficiently to earn a longer stay with Steve Lomas' side.

He said: "Initially it is just a month, 28 days, but I would have jumped at it being longer. At the same time, I fully understand what everyone's position is in the short-term. But I want to be here, I really do want to be here.

"I've only been here a couple of days but I have loved coming in for training and it's only 15 minutes away from home. That is a massive benefit for me as well because I'm used to sitting in the car for an hour and a half to get over to QPR.

"There were some days when you have a stinker on the motorway and you're playing catchup as soon as you get into training. I feel I have more energy here."

Derry will hold talks with QPR manager Harry Redknapp at the end of the month but the 35-year-old's future almost certainly lies away from Loftus Road.

And his chances of playing regularly for The R's will become even slimmer if Tottenham midfielder Scott Park completes a move to West London as expected.

"Harry has been good as gold to me," Derry said. "He has told me to come here, get some games, enjoy my football and see what happens in a month's time.

"That's as far as things have gone with QPR. My agenda is slightly different because now I'm here I want to be here. I see what Steve is trying to do and would love to be part of it."

44 thoughts on “Exclusive: QPR midfielder Derry fancies longer Millwall stay

• August 15, 2013 at 08:07

Sounds passionate enough, but i hope its not just a smoke screen cause we are only down the rd. But if he is as passionate about the wall then fair enough.

• August 15, 2013 at 08:22

Sounds like all he wants is a shorter commute to work. The poor lad, fancy having to spend all that time travelling all the way to QPR in a luxury car just to earn tens of thousands of pounds a week. Some people have it really tough don't they?

• August 15, 2013 at 08:55

@SE11 Lion: SE11 spot on mate he must still be at the house he had when he was a Palarse player so very close to our training ground, and not forgetting if we end up taking him from ARRY then he gets to extend his nice fat wage packet by a year or two.

Dont be fooled by all that badge kissing they all move on for a few quid more, there no different from us in that respect, its a job and they go where they can get a better deal, very rare thing loyalty in a professional footballer. But if he can do a good job for us we will love him so lets hope he does and our fortunes cahnge for the better very soon. COYL!!!!

• August 15, 2013 at 09:38

@Barnlion: If there is a need for him here I would be quite happy for him to stay as I thought he showed some nice touches in the bits of the match I saw. He has a good footballing head on him, actually thinks about what to do with the ball.
        My only reservations is that it doesn't force Chaplow out of position as we fought so hard to get the guy we don't want to start p****** him off already. Also I think the full backs are a more urgent priority. But if it doesn't impede on the 2 previous points I would be happy to see him here. (as long as he doesn't cost too much)

• August 15, 2013 at 13:56

@SE11 Lion: more likely to do with hamstrings than the actuall commute, that type of driving is not good for an athlete, depending on he car he's driving. That's why they like big 4 x 4 's.

• August 15, 2013 at 09:51

Once Trotter is fit we will have 4 players (Bailey, Trotter, Derry and Chaplow) competing for the central midfield positions assuming Chaplow gets played left central midfield. Martin can also play central midfield if he ever gets fit so I don't see why we need the luxury of Derry on the wage bill for longer than a month. As already stated full backs are a more urgent priority.

• August 15, 2013 at 10:00

As good as he may be, keep him here for a month as contracted then see how we are fixed. We need to get our own players in the starting eleven and playing as a unit. As regards to signing him permanently , no. I feel we need to get some younger hungrier players in especially in other positions other than the midfield. He won't be cheap either, not if Redknapp has anything to do with it.

• August 15, 2013 at 10:28

Alex, grammar! "your playing catchup as soon" Only joking haha

• August 15, 2013 at 10:34

Dont care if he lives in a penthouse next to the training ground. This a player with a proven pedigree in this division and held his own in the Premiership against some of the best midfielders in the world. This is the calibre of player we need to progress and if he wants to stay we should bite his hand off. 35 is not a issue it is his experience that counts. And by the way he does agood job at right back if required.

• August 15, 2013 at 11:17

Totally agree, a player with vast experience, sign him up

• August 15, 2013 at 10:37

Earn yourself a permanent contract by doing the business on the pitch, we are not interested in the shorter commute to training!

• August 15, 2013 at 11:04

Trotter when on song is an incisive and creative midfield player hence he was subject of much transfer speculation until he hit some bad form or injury problems. There is no doubt he is good going forward and with Bailey beside him I am sure will make him a better player still. I am all for experience but surely Millwall needs some youth, a tighter defence and goal scorers. I think they are there but need that spark and a couple of wins. JB is right to ask for time and patience.

• August 15, 2013 at 11:25

If you prove your worth, I'm sure Millwall will take you in but hope its not a bit of passion for a month just because its down the road and is improving relations with your in-laws. See it all the time with agency staff where I work. They work their a*** off to get a permanent deal and after they get one quickly become dead wood. Be careful with this one wall!

• August 15, 2013 at 11:40

Derry can play as a right back so I wonder if Lomas will play him in that position? If he impress's in midfield then they fact he can play at right-back means Lomas might want to extend he's loan period with us. Also a longer deal might not be possible if we cant off load Wright & Abdou.

• August 15, 2013 at 11:59

Agree in principle with you but I do think that Lomas won't want to introduce a new right back whilst he's trying to get a settled squad. As it is, it looks likely that Martin and McDonald will start on Saturday for the first time, and he's already had Dunne and Smith at right back.

@bermondseylion:

• August 15, 2013 at 12:03

Its got nothing to do with his age or who he has played for in the past, its to do with, what he can bring to Millwall i.e. will he improve the side when he plays, can he also bring others into the game ( god knows we need that).

Also is he committed to the cause at the Den and also he does not break the bank and leave us in S*** street this also applies to anyone who SL thinks we need.

• August 15, 2013 at 12:10

Prove your worth Shaun and I'm sure JB will let you stay : )

• August 15, 2013 at 13:59

Even now who would you take Wright or Derry...... Derry every time, a real presence on the pitch.

• August 15, 2013 at 14:49

Quote from Lomas in the NewsShopper regarding Shorey and Dicker-

Lomas said: “Nicky and Gary are still in training with us.

“We’ve got to get a few out to get a few in, so that is going to be the main issue for us.

“There hasn’t really been any interest yet from other clubs in our players.

“If you’ve got to shift a few out before you can get a few in, you are hoping it can be done sooner as opposed to later towards the end of the transfer window.”

• August 15, 2013 at 16:40

@NICKOLA: Nicola, All them badges he has, I cant beleive he does not know why no one is interested in the players he wants to move on, last year this team avoided the drop by results elsewhere and we have not exactly set the division alight so far this season.

These players are not even good enough to get into this team which has struggled over the last 7 months, so why would anyone who wanted to improve there sides be interested in signing these players who cant get into this side and under two differnt managers at that.

• August 15, 2013 at 17:27

Oh I think he knows what he's inherited. My take on it is that he's telling us why he hasn't made any more signings.
        @Barnlion:

• August 15, 2013 at 16:26

Commute my a*** ! I moved from living in Bermondsey for 40 years to Medway 2 years ago. I still work in London and travel to every single home game. If I was to sound like Derry , I'd now be Gillingham fan cos it's nearer. If he's worth signing , sign him . If not , don't .......simples

• August 15, 2013 at 17:05

Totally agree block 8. I'd commute to the other side of the country to get paid the dough that all these footballers are on. And yeah I've done a commute too for the past 25yrs around 1-1.5 hrs each way day in day out. On the money they are on if it bothered them that much you'd hire a driver. Sorry but i think he's just s******* himself cause Arry signed Parker yesterday . But saying that he is a decent player though.

• August 15, 2013 at 17:37

@SE11 Lion:
      Absolutely , if he improves our squad/team , I welcome him with open arms. If not , i'm not bothered where he travels to and from.

• August 15, 2013 at 17:50

@Block 8: Sounds to me like Derry is using the short commute ruse to make us lot accept him quicker as one of us. IMO what makes him one of us is 110% commitment and immense pride wearing the shirt. Show both of these, Derry, and I'm sure we'll welcome you with open arms. (Unless of course you;re crap!)

• August 15, 2013 at 17:47

if there is a player that wants to play for us that is better then what we have go for it but
    its early days wait and if he works hard for it yet

• August 15, 2013 at 19:04

Has the retirement age gone up again?

• August 15, 2013 at 19:46

Just down the road from home,just like billy bonds,pair of c**** ima,not needed so f*** off

• August 15, 2013 at 20:06

Terrible thing having to spend an hour getting to work in the morning . . .

• August 15, 2013 at 20:42

Gary Dicker is no longer training with us as we couldn't afford to give him a long term contact.

• August 15, 2013 at 21:53

what about shorey any 1 no anything

• August 15, 2013 at 22:15

Yes they get paid a lot, yes they drive nice motors, yes they have nice houses and want for nothing. Now flip that coin and look at what we as the supporters have and want, from you the WEARERS OF OUR BELOVED SHIRT. Put in 110% and we dont care where you live. COYL!!!!!!

• August 15, 2013 at 22:17

Do that with pride and you will be loved by the WALL faithful 110% right back.

• August 15, 2013 at 22:38

Well I cant see us signing anyone else unless other players start to leave, I don't think Wright is playing on Saturday which could mean he's going elsewhere, who knows...

We may be lumbered with them as no one wants our scraps!

• August 15, 2013 at 23:01

I think his going cos derry has the no4 shirt and wright was meant to be no4 so I think his going

• August 16, 2013 at 10:20

@Sealion: his a good player but not in the championship lower league 1 or 2

• August 16, 2013 at 10:35

@bigale13: Totally agree, like a few of our players, they did us proud in the 1st div but as each year passes in an ever strengthening championship they have been found to be out of their depth. Just running around giving 100% is unfortunately not enough these days, some skill and a footballing brain is also required.

• August 16, 2013 at 11:15

@Sealion: yep I agree with u there mate we have got have move on shame I love jimmy but its time move up a gear we always knew it would happen lets hope tomra will be a good day for the new wall boys

• August 16, 2013 at 05:40

On shorey, apparently SL has to get rid of a couple before he brings anyone else In, makes sense to me but, why then bring Derry in ? Surely that money could have gone towards shorey as I think it'll be more or less the same wage. As for Derry I'm pleased his hearts in it but when everyone is fit then I think it'll be cheerio unless SL wants him as part of a 3 man mid if so then SL had better do something sharpish about the fullbacks as they'll become the most important players on the pitch. Can't see much change in those positions just yet as like I said last season we're gonna struggle to offload the deadwood as one or two will play serious hard ball. Why go league one or two for a big drop in wages if you can pick up a couple grand more in the reserves of a champship club. I wonder if the club has told the players in ? That they're surplus to requirement.
    Oh well at the minute we'll have to make do with what we've got.

• August 16, 2013 at 10:18

@lukesmithmfc: that's right it will take time if we have a good season we will be a real force next year its good to see wall going forward thou

• August 16, 2013 at 10:26

@lukesmithmfc: I am surprised that Shorey is still hanging around he must of had other clubs interested. One minute he's told we haven't got any money for your wages and then we miraculously find some for Derry. I think I would have told them where to shove it by now.

• August 16, 2013 at 11:17

@Sealion: I think we have all felt that lol maybe he wants to much who knows