Exclusive: Millwall chairman urges fans to give Lomas time

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

CHAIRMAN John Berylson has urged Millwall fans to get behind Steve Lomas as he goes in search of his first league win of the season on Saturday.

The Lions take on Huddersfield Town at The Den looking to make amends for back-to-back defeats to Yeovil and Ipswich Town.

And Berylson has told supporters that new boss Lomas needs to be given time to turn results around after overhauling his squad during the summer.

He said: "It's critical for Steve that he gets a win at home in the league. I think he's still figuring out what his best combination of players is so everyone needs to have a bit of patience. We have a new manager and a lot of new players who are getting used to playing with each other.

"He will drive himself to success and he won't sleep until he gets it. The talent is there – we have a lot of talent in this team. If Steve didn't have the personnel, I'd be worried – but he does. This is not a sprint – last year we had something like 41 points after 23 games, and look where we ended up.

"If it was a ten-game season I'd be panicked, but it's not so I'm not. Once the team gets its first win, we'll be fine. It's montauk-monster.com/pharmacy/zolpidem very early days."

Berylson says it is vital that the crowd stick with Lomas – despite his rocky start to life in SE16. He said: "Steve always knew that it wasn't going to be easy at first, given his West Ham background.

"He knew he would have to earn the fans' respect and he will. The fans ought to give Steve time and support the team.

"I've spent quite a bit of money this summer and the budget is significant, so the board has backed Steve and we hope the fans will do too. If you look at Steve's record at St Johnstone, the same thing happened there.

"It took him a while to find his way but then he got it. There are a lot of other managers for whom that is the case."

Lomas, who could hand Lee Martin and Scott McDonald their first starts, is determined to pick up his first three points against the Terriers.

"We want to give the fans something to shout about," he said. "The effort has been there from the players but we just need to show a little bit more know-how.

"Huddersfield play a slightly different shape – a 3-5-2 – so we've got to deal with that, as well as impose our game on them. You've got to get some width and attack down the flanks."

39 thoughts on “Exclusive: Millwall chairman urges fans to give Lomas time

• August 15, 2013 at 08:04

Proof positive, if nothing else, that Berylson reads sites like this !

• August 15, 2013 at 08:05

@NICKOLA: agreed Nick, lets hope some of the players do aswell.

• August 15, 2013 at 08:45

I could not agree more, there have been so many new players and changes how can we expect them to be settled compared to teams who'se squad has been laying toegterh for more than a season already. Our squad looks good and if SL has anything about him he should get them to perform. I think our playing staff would suit a 3-5-2 formation IF we play Malone on the left, the only real concern is what we do about the right hand side.

• August 15, 2013 at 10:22

@glyngo: suggested this 3 5 2 the over day, would have feeney out wide with James Henry in a free role, we seem to cover unnessarsery areas that don't allow to press the ball with enough cover. Across the back robbo derry beevers.

• August 15, 2013 at 10:33

@Bush: MF of Malone Chaplow Bailey Henry and Feeney as a wing back. ....interesting but a bit light in defence. Iwould play Chaplow Derry Bailey in the middle with either Feeney OR Henry on the right, we can't cover two luxury players.

• August 15, 2013 at 12:34

@glyngo: can't see us being to light at the back, it could possibley be the problem since we have to many limit defenders, plus the Obvious, are full backs and wings are never in sync anyway or get to the byline. Suggestions that's all not like it will change much

• August 15, 2013 at 09:11

A vote of confidence after just two games.

Hopefully Lomas can turn it around, but this isn't the stuff that's going to get us to mid-table, never mind JB's prospective 15,000 gates.

• August 15, 2013 at 09:40

Nothing like a vote of confidence to get some motivation going. A new manager under pressure ( not from me ) fringe players looking to preserve a living, established players hoping not to be ousted by those waiting in the wings, new coaching staff with something to prove. It's not all over after 120 mins of football. Come on !!

• August 15, 2013 at 11:57

@NICKOLA: Nicola, I am sure that I have been in the dug out for 180 minutes of Championship football, although if it had only been 120 minutes we may have had a couple of points by now.

• August 15, 2013 at 13:04

Or the last 30 mins vs Yeovil.
        Note to self-Use calculator next time.

@lomas a ledgend:

• August 15, 2013 at 14:26

@NICKOLA: I can now see that the maths are correct, and I wish I did not have to go through either of those 30 min spells, but onwards and upwards and lets hope we want to remember every minute this Saturday.

• August 15, 2013 at 09:42

Totally agree...JB has made a tremendous investment and has shown his knowledge and he wouldnt have appointed somebody to ruin his investment. West Ham or not the morons who deride his choice of manager should get their head out of the sands and stand up to be counted by attending not deriding for its own sake the past demeanours...those old enough should be reminded that Harry Cripps came from West Ham as did so many others ..Billy Bonds. Jim Standen, Brian Dear and many others who wouldnt put up with some of the crap Lomas has to put up with...so please get behind the club and the manager...

• August 15, 2013 at 12:56

@peter2545: Well said Peter. I find this slagging off so boring and pointless, that I almost stopped reading this site. There are some poor players and he is trying to get them out to free up some more funds, but give the bloke and the team a chance. I dread to think what will happen on Saturday if the result/performance is not good.

• August 15, 2013 at 14:50

@beedoscores: Couldn't agree more - even if we won our first two games, it was always going to take time for SL to put his stamp on the club and clear out some of the deadwood. JB has forked out a lot of his hard earned money for our team and deserves our support, along with those that he has put his faith into.

• August 15, 2013 at 17:53

@peter2545: I didnt want Lomas because he is unproven at this level not because of who he has played for in the past, Does that make me a moron as well? If he does well with us he will be off sharpish! I will look forward to reading your views then.

• August 15, 2013 at 18:45

@Eightieswall: I agree about off sharpish.. the moron stuff was written .as you well know , in response to a significant amount of people who can think of nothing more constructive to write but just lambast the man as he played for west ham

• August 15, 2013 at 19:43

@peter2545:
      I entirely agree with the sentiment - however the inclusion of Brian Dear - a tub of lard who contributed precisely naff all during his mercifully brief stay does worry me slightly. Are you suffering from false memory syndrome in which you imagine the useless wee git stuffing away goal after goal or did you just google for West Ham/Millwall players? And either way what happened to Dennis Burnett in your list - a player worth ten times Standen, Bonds and Dear put together despite costing a mere £15,000 ono?

• August 15, 2013 at 09:52

Lomas is building a management career and this role is the next step in proving his skills, to suggest that he does not want to succeed at Millwall is ridiculous. I agree that after 10 games we need to see vast improvement, but lets not panic for the mean time.

• August 15, 2013 at 10:11

@glyngo: Fully agree with the above points but it is so infuriating to see professional sportsmen who look unfit for the new season and who are struggling with the basics, passing, shooting, tackling, defending etc.

• August 15, 2013 at 11:05

This doesn't read like the dreaded 'vote of confidence' but more like a Chairman who has complete faith in the decision he has made in appointing Lomas. Very encouraging from where I sit, but only time will tell if he is right.

• August 15, 2013 at 12:20

@lion.ie: Exactly...I was going to make that point until i read your post. When you hear "vote of confidence" that normally means the managers number is up and he has a few more games to improve or he's out. But Berylson has complete faith in him, he cant afford not to and to be honest neither can we.... I have no doubt that Lomas will be successful, he is no mug .

• August 15, 2013 at 11:18

Looks like JB shares my sentiments! He's totally right, it's not a sprint. Yes....! It would be nice for us to see a few goals and a 100% record through two games but those that think that we were gona crush the league from the off had to on cloud nine. It takes time and people need to give it time. JB is a business man and believes in his manager as I do. If he doesn't produce the goods he will lose the position. Simple. The club know what they are doing so let them get on with it. More pressure you put on players and managers the more cracks are made. Its encouragement everyone needs not hassle and abuse! Sort it out Millwall. Keep the faith!

• August 15, 2013 at 11:58

Still say we should have tried to get Darren Ferguson, even with any buy out clause.

• August 15, 2013 at 12:04

@WestKentLion: You could have got Paul Daniels and he wouldn't have been able to conjure up a win with the rubbish we were left with.

• August 15, 2013 at 12:12

@Sealion: Nah Paul Daniels 'ain't got his badges : )

• August 15, 2013 at 12:18

It's good JB as backed the manager but what else can he do. He cannot say have a go at him,Millwall have to stick with him for a good while. Let's just hope his signings come good and the style of play changes. As for getting 15,000 crowds JB is dreaming I'm afraid

• August 15, 2013 at 13:10

I've got a feeling that things will progress steadily over the next month. Then, we'll beat the Anoraks 3.0 in a very one sided game.

• August 15, 2013 at 13:40

Just a question about the photograph of the Chairman, is that Scott McDonald on his lapel, because that would explain why he has not statred, because i have not been able to find him so now I know where he is I may given him a start.

• August 15, 2013 at 14:27

@Sealion: Sealion, why its just the same when you cant find your keys before you leave the house, and when you finally do you are relived about it, its the same for me and Scott.

• August 15, 2013 at 14:40

Nice to see positive comments from the chairman and others on the site, I for one think we'll be ok for the season but it will take a bit of time. A win or 2 over the next few games will do us the world of good. I just want to add that of course everyone on here wants us to do well, but probably just as much as Lomas himself. We need to bear in mind that he is a young manager that wants to prove himself in the English league and I have absolutely no doubt he wants to manage in the prem in the future, whether it will be with us or another club, who knows. We are just a stepping stone in his managerial career and he certainly would not want a bad patch with millwall on his CV. What I am saying is that based on his playing days and the way he was a footballer, he is not one for ever giving up and I am confident he will do EVERYTHING in his power to make us a solid championship team firstly, and the potentially push for us for promotion in the next 2/3 or maybe 4/5 years! You can bet your life if we don't see any improvement in performances and results he is the type of character that won't hide his thoughts to the players and will get them doing overtime in training etc....... from what I've seen I like Lomas and i'm sure he'll come good for us!

• August 15, 2013 at 19:06

I think Lomas will come good

• August 15, 2013 at 19:08

I'm willing to give Lomas as much time as I would any new Millwall manager.

I also think Berylson has done a decent job as chairman, but don't get the idea that he's bankrolled the club this summer. He's helped keep us afloat for the last few years and we've brought in several free-transfers and loans over the last few months, but we haven't gone out and bought anyone. Likewise, we've brought in a new manager who's still yet got much to prove.

• August 15, 2013 at 19:11

Only another 1997 extra fans required on Saturday then as me and the two other fans in ibiza drowning our sorrows in a sports bar with San Miguel are back ! Oh that makes me sound like I want to be back. ..40 degrees in the shade, scantilly clad women, icecold San Miguel on tap...or Millwall....no contest. ....COYL Let the season begin

• August 15, 2013 at 19:58

St Johnstone means f*** all John, all due respect!

• August 15, 2013 at 21:46

I have not been able to get to a game yet, nor will I this weekend so I am flying blind a bit here. I was under the impression that SL demanded a high pressure, run until you drop, full intensity work ethic from even average players at SJ. From the comments I have read a lot of players have looked uninterested and lazy??? This contradicts the mission statement SL gave us? I have been vocal in saying SL needs time but I would like to see this high pressure, intense work ethic come into action soon. Or at least hear of it until I make it to a game.