Lomas: Martin and McDonald ready to step up involvement

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

STEVE Lomas has hinted Millwall fans will get to see more of summer signings Lee Martin and Scott McDonald against Huddersfield Town on Saturday.

The duo have been nursed back to fitness after knee and hip injuries respectively, with Martin yet to feature in the league. McDonald has made two substitute appearances.

Martin and McDonald both featured in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Brentford on Tuesday, and Lomas admits their involvement in the first time is likely be stepped up.

"Paul Robinson got another 90 minutes against Brentford, and Lee and Scott got some time as well, so it was a good exercise," he said. "I think Lee's now ready to be involved, and Scott is fit enough to play a larger part."

The Lions beat the Bees 2-1 courtesy of an own goal and a Dany N'Guessan strike.

Neil Harris, who took the team, told the club's official site: "It was a good game between two strong sides and we're pleased both with the individual and collective performances.

"It was important for the likes of Robinson and Martin in particular to continue along the road to full match fitness, and for everyone in the side it was an opportunity to give the manager a nudge in terms of his selection for Saturday's game against Huddersfield."

54 thoughts on “Lomas: Martin and McDonald ready to step up involvement

• August 14, 2013 at 11:51

Lets hope McD pops up with the winning goal then.
    COYL

• August 14, 2013 at 12:10

Nice to see Harris involved in this. Of all the summer signings, his is still my favourite. COYL

• August 14, 2013 at 12:13

• August 14, 2013 at 12:14

2 games into the season and I'm not pushing the panick button (yet)!
    I would however like to see the team progressing and coming together over the next 5 games, so by the time we play Charlton and Leeds, the team is clicking and we are scoring goals and winning games.
    I think if we get to the Charlton and Leeds game and things are still looking dire, SL could be in for some harsh stick from the fans.
    COYL.

• August 14, 2013 at 12:43

@Syd the Lion: Leeds is game nine and I think it will be a tipping point for SL. If we haven't got many points on the board and we get beat by Leeds...well I don't have to explain how difficult it will be for him. As Old Les pointed out, if we haven't improved by Xmas we will be relegated so the Board would have a big decision to make after the Leeds game. I've said previously that 13 points from our first nine would see us handily placed, this is now 13 from seven! A win on Saturday would obviously give us momentum, personally I see only our first point. Hope I'm wrong.

• August 14, 2013 at 12:45

@Syd the Lion: Totally agree Syd. So many new players in that are seen as first teamers, you can't expect them all to perform straight away it takes time to gel and get to know each others game which is clearly evident at the moment. Out of all the new signing we have seen or have been fit enough to play, Bailey & Chaplow(even though he's being played out of position) have been the most impressive not only with their quality but their work ethic, so if McDonald and Martin can follow suit then that's all we can ask. Morison has been disappointing IMO and and needs a few goals to get he's confidence up. Lomas needs to get a settled first team now everyone is back, minus trotter, so we can continue to progress. He needs to stop tinkering and be true to he's convictions and play the football that he wants to play...

• August 14, 2013 at 12:50

@Windy: Agreed, except the back four are playing like strangers and should have no gelling to do! Old Les was right again about Morison, he's not a target man like Cas or Fash but a big lad who can play football, given the chance. Play to his strengths and he's a huge asset.

• August 14, 2013 at 13:30

@Windy: I really want to see Bailey taking charge of the midfield. He could be the next Terry Hurlock if he wants to be! No doubt that Chaplow has talent, just need him playing a more central role.
        Can't wait to see Trotter back (never thought I'd hear myself say that). I remember that Morison and Trotter linked up well the season we went up with trotter playing a much more attacking midfield role, so hope they are able to reproduce that type of partnership.
        As I've said before we need 2 or 3 leaders on that pitch. At the minute we don't seem to have any.

• August 14, 2013 at 12:56

@Syd the Lion: Syd, If I cant turn it round by then, I will ask Jimmy Nichol to come and join the coaching staff, just to see if he can freshen us up a bit, but I would be interested to know if that is the case what you and others would do in my stead.

• August 14, 2013 at 12:44

The Huddersfield game this Saturday is a must win game.

• August 14, 2013 at 12:46

@bermondseylion: No it ain't.....We should win the game and want to win it, but its not a must win game.....

• August 14, 2013 at 13:02

@Windy:

If we don't want to be in a relegation battle then Huddersfield is a must win game imo but if we don't then I wont be panicking at least till the beginning of feburary.

• August 14, 2013 at 13:20

@bermondseylion: Relegation battle!...... Halfway through August...... C'mon man you cant truly believe that?

• August 14, 2013 at 13:28

@Windy:

If we dont want to e in a relegation battle at the end of the season then we need to win Saturday.

• August 14, 2013 at 14:51

@Windy:

I think some people may have misunderstood my point. I'm not saying were going down if we lose Saturday. I meant that we have to beat other teams that are favourite for relegation at home if we want to improve on last season's finishing(20th) that's why I said Saturday is a must win game.
            If Millwall lose Saturday you wont see me calling for Lomas out or saying we are going down as it's still only the beginning of the season. I personally think we'll finish 13th which is a long way of from getting relegated but Lomas & the team need time.

• August 14, 2013 at 13:02

Until SL has all his players fit and ready it isn't possible to play the formation he really wants. That means that some players are in the team that may not be first choice and that players are played out of position to cover until the others are ready. If we are still not getting points when SL has his best team out, then we need to worry but we can't judge his workmanship until he has all the tools available. That's what I am clinging to anyway.

• August 14, 2013 at 22:07

@Profiler4: good points
      But
      If we're still pointless when lomas's 11 are available then it'll be a big ask for them and a lot of pressure for them to deliver although it'll still be early doors.
      Winning is a habit but unfortunately we still have a squad that's in the habit of losing.

• August 15, 2013 at 07:48

@lukesmithmfc: Hit the nail right on the head with that one

• August 14, 2013 at 13:28

I really hope that Martin and McDonald start on Saturday rather than come on for the last 20 mins. If McDonald and Morison start together, our 2 central midfielders ( Bailey and Chaplow) get a grip and our two wingers ( Martin and Feeney ) give them a good supply then we should win. Playing Chaplow on the wing with Derry in the middle is never going to work. Hopefully that's sunk in now.
    Trotter back in 3/4 weeks so Derry should go back to QPR at that point. We've got enough midfielders.

• August 14, 2013 at 13:46

@NICKOLA: No Henry? All the positive movement on Saturday was through Bailey, Derry & Henry no way should Henry be sacrificed for Feeny who is just a impact player and one dimensional, unless he adds more to his game then he shouldn't be getting starts in this league.

• August 14, 2013 at 14:58

Henry has started recently but Feeney hasn't so I had the feeling that Lomas might start him on Saturday.

@Windy:

• August 14, 2013 at 13:43

I want to see a big improvement from the Yeovil game.I want to see players pass to each and not so much big hoof to nobody in particular.I want us to look dangerous up front and actually see some goals.I do not want much!!!!

• August 14, 2013 at 14:41

@Longfield Lion: I was just about to post something very similar to this!

• August 14, 2013 at 13:44

I still believe if we stay positive, stay behind the team and manager, that we now have the players, and with maybe a few wheels and deals some additions to come, for things to come together nicely. We undoubtedly have better players than we did last year; I feel a lot more confident than I did last year with the squad we ended up with. Morison doesn't look like the player who left us, whether he's being played out of position or not - remember he was playing right wing when he first joined us! But I also remember that the only reason we persevered with him was because Alexander was injured. Hopefully a goal for Moro and we'll see the Moro of old. As Corporal Jones used to say 'Don't Panic'

• August 14, 2013 at 14:11

@Adsy77777: Better than 'We're All Doomed'! (-:~

• August 14, 2013 at 14:13

Some of the stuff on here is hilarious. People are talking about being down by Christmas if things don't improve and being in a relegation battle if we don't win this weekend?! If we lost our last 3 games and made the playoffs what's the difference?! Charlton were s**** all season, I went with my girl friends dad to a couple of games and they didnt have a clue...they finished 9th. Personally I'd rather have our bad patch now. When we lost to Birmingham in the playoffs, that season we were perched nicely in the top 6 then Birmingham who were nowhere went on a run and made the playoffs and went up (I think they went up). 3 losses and we're are going down though apparently. Wow. Cheer up.

• August 14, 2013 at 14:29

@crayfordlion: I only see one poster saying that we are in a relegation battle if we lose on Saturday. You're right of course, three games doesn't make a season. Peterborough lost nine of their first eleven last year and nearly escaped. But nobody can deny that if things don't improve we'll be relegated. The good news is that SL still has plenty of games to turn it around although, rightly or wrongly, the pressure will continue to build on him with each poor performance.

• August 14, 2013 at 22:15

@crayfordlion: oi oi crayford
      Secret addict are ya ? Haha don't do too much to please the in laws
      Pretty sure they won't come down the den. As lion says only one poster talking about relegation no worries just yet but I think we need a win on say otherwise we might find it hard to get out of this bad little run

• August 14, 2013 at 14:49

• August 14, 2013 at 16:07

I'm not so sure it's a good thing to have Trotter back sooner rather than later. His laid back , jogs everywhere style wont go down too well if we need 3 points and a bit of urgency. I think we all have to get used to the fact that we are not watching a 26 year old Morison in League One. He is a 30+ millionaire who's been bit part for 3 years. I do question his desire........how do you encourage a millionaire to chase lost causes ?

• August 14, 2013 at 16:12

@Block 8: You need to give him something to chase first! He was breaking his balls at the far post trying to get on the end of a Derry(?) cross on Saturday. If the back four keep lumping up to him and making him breakfast, lunch and dinner for the typical Championship centre half he ain't gonna look good.

• August 14, 2013 at 20:04

@comment
        a good point well made. I never saw him away , just home games for me. hes certainly not the morison of old and what or whoever is to blame , we need it sorted quickly.

• August 14, 2013 at 16:17

You put a Millwall shirt on his back.

@Block 8:

• August 14, 2013 at 16:31

Morison does try, he's style of play and the way he comes across sometimes makes him look lazy, but how many of you would of had him in the team last season when we were suffering mugs like hulse, nguessen, even Keogh at times. He is a quality striker who has played 2 , i repeat 2 games! Some of the comments are laughable considering most on here were tipping us for promotion in pre season.

• August 14, 2013 at 16:52

@82wall: I agree with most of your points 82 wall, but it was only a couple of mis guided fools on here who got carried away on a wave of fervour.Promotion my a***. I suggest it may have been a couple of the younger fans. Us old die hards have seen it all before and are not given to such bouts of extreme reality suppression.

• August 14, 2013 at 22:01

@Sealion: It was far more than a couple Sealion, and they may yet be right but I still can't see it. Much better league this year at the top.

• August 14, 2013 at 16:33

who do we have as a prospect just thinking are team is past its sell by date

• August 14, 2013 at 19:00

your rite we haven't got many younger guys coming throw the goal keeper denzel is a good shot stopper the mid fred is a really good player 1 to watch but I think he will get snapped up by the bigger team a couple of others but they are not out standing
    when morr came to millwall the 1st time every1 said he was doo doo but then he became a 2.8 mill player we sold we don't have any1 like that now but we have to give them a go at it wait and see we will come good SL is a good man .

• August 14, 2013 at 19:59

As a matter of interest, does anyone know if millwall have sold more season tickets to date compared to last year ?

• August 14, 2013 at 20:19

@NICKOLA: Come on Nicola, thats got to be basic knowledge for a Millwall guru like yourself! Surely you have a mate in the ticket office!

• August 14, 2013 at 22:23

@NICKOLA: ooooooohhhhh
          Calling me out Nic when you have no answer. I know your game pal lol
          Actually I, like you, have absolutely no idea but, ask after Sats game and I'll let you know.

• August 14, 2013 at 21:49

And? Will we win?? That is an altogether different question.

• August 14, 2013 at 22:05

2-1 robbo n bailey just wat we need

• August 14, 2013 at 22:13

watch n learn millwall

• August 14, 2013 at 22:30

I just want to see an improvement in performance, that in turn should see results improve. Start with getting the team to play as a unit then focus on results. I still believe 12+ position in the league come May will be a good season for a club going through major transition.

• August 15, 2013 at 01:55

I could be wrong. But I honestly think the squad we have is strong enough for a top half finish. People shouldn't panic just because we have lost 2 games I admit it's s***, and the performances have not filled anyone with confidence. But hopefully once the new players relax abit more and settle in(the den is a daunting place for even our own players!) then they should come good, Morison and McDonald will be a good partnership once they get to know eachother and the midfield have little experience with one an other at the moment. Give it a few more games and with our strongest side we will be a strong side.

• August 15, 2013 at 07:59

As bad as it has been until now, I'm still enthusiastic and exited by developments and looking forward to gauging the progress come Saturday. Lets get behind the boys... COYL

• August 15, 2013 at 10:01

• August 15, 2013 at 22:12

Thank f***, hopefully these two make a big difference!

• August 16, 2013 at 15:06

I do feel for the new players, as they get massive stick if they are not 'messi' like straight away. I am the first to admit that I get very vocal at games, but I am trying to calm down and give they lads a chance. I am still quietly confident that we will be around the playoffs, especially when we start scoring, and we will, but I do worry about the back 4 still, full backs are poor, and need Robbo back in middle.