Preview: Ipswich Town vs. Millwall

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

LOAN signing Shaun Derry is poised to make his Millwall debut against Ipswich Town at Portman Road on Saturday.

Derry could be paired in central midfield with Nicky Bailey, who made his first start for the Lions in the 2-1 win over AFC Wimbledon in midweek.

If Steve Lomas opts to field a 4-3-3 formation, Richard Chaplow is likely to be moved into the middle, having played on the left wing on the opening-day of the season against Yeovil.

But former Tractor Boy Lee Martin will be desperate to face his former club after coming on against the Dons.

Steve Morison, Shane Lowry, Alan Dunne, Danny Shittu, who were all rested on Tuesday, are set to return to the side as Millwall go in search of their first Championship win.

Liam Trotter and David Forde are both sidelined by knee injuries.

For Ipswich, Aaron Cresswell (thigh), Anthony Wordsworth (calf) and Jay Tabb (shoulder) are all 50-50, but Tyrone Mings will definitely miss out with a knee injury.

26% are tipping Millwall to beat Ipswich 2-1 – have you made your predictions in Week 2 of the Championship Prediction League?

74 thoughts on “Preview: Ipswich Town vs. Millwall

• August 9, 2013 at 13:40

Not confident at all, Mick McCarthy would have no doubt got stuck into his team especially after losing to Stevenage. Hopefully Moro might actually try this game and we might be able to string two or more passes together. Who knows. Then again I am a pessimist.

• August 9, 2013 at 13:53

@harryfabian: Harry the same sentiments as you mate, there have been too many players who dont look like they either want it or cant be bothered and Lomas is making the right noises but we dont look like a team, let alson one who could do something this season.
      I know its early days but before we know it its September 4 games have gone and then we have to wait 2 weeks because of the internaional break and we could be trying to catch up.

• August 9, 2013 at 14:06

If SL is going to go 4-3-3, I agree Derry, Chaplow and Bailey. But I dont agree bringing back Dunne, Shittu and Lowry. I think Smith had a good game tuesday, Robbo played really well, for me, every time some one goes to pass Shittu my hearts in my mouth as he lacks speed, robbo just looked so comfortable. Lowry can tackle well but his distribution is appalling. So I say stick with Malone to support midfield. Up front it is about time we saw what McDonald can do. COYL

• August 9, 2013 at 18:24

@rikkiatwall: Lets hope McD can have long enough on the pitch this time so he can work out where the goal is and what to do with it.

• August 9, 2013 at 14:24

I like how Steve Lomas is conducting himself. He is clearly enthusiastic and has brought new energy with him. I am really impressed with how it seems he is singlehandedly persuading players to sign for Millwall. Last year it felt like, whenever a player had a choice of signing for either Millwall or another club, they would always choose the other club (e.g. Taylor, Kane, Wood etc.) so I like that, so far, it seems he has the 'gift of the gab'.

The players he is bringing in are impressive (to me) and it will take time to work out his best 11 but the fact that we have depth now is, well, I can't ever remember us having depth so...

Looking forward to seeing what Martin and Derry bring to the team.

P.S. I agree with rikki, I really like Shittu and his passion and the fact he seems to love playing for Millwall but, I get nervous whenever Shittu is doing anything other than jumping to head the ball clear or launching it up-field. If you get nervous when a player has the ball I think that says a lot.

Essay over 🙂

• August 9, 2013 at 14:56

It will be good if he plays Easter alongside Morison, the former is buzzing and eager to get on the score sheet, let him have free reign. We want players out there who will give it all and show some good old lions passion. I think we will just edge it but will be happy with a draw.

• August 9, 2013 at 16:53

• August 9, 2013 at 15:33

The transition continues. Bailey and Derry should be in tomorrow's starting line-up for Abdou and Wright, with maybe Easter getting the nod over Keogh. I expect to see Martin and McDonald on the bench with a view to them being introduced at some point during the game. Tomorrow must be a fully committed performance unlike the two tentative displays we have seen so far. Hopefully the work on the training ground will start to bear fruit and we will see a more assured passing game from the Lions.
    A draw will be a reasonable result, but we should try to take full advantage of Ipswich's poor start and take the game to them from the off. An early Lions goal could see the home crowd turn on their team, help us to play with some confidence in front of a big Millwall away support and come away with 3 points.
    My only word of warning. McCarthy always does his homework on us and I can remember last term's 3-0 defeat at Portman Road when Campbell and Murphy got behind our very square back four with regular ease and Shittu was being "turned" for fun. No repeat of that performance, please!!!!!

• August 9, 2013 at 16:39

Hmmmmmmm. Anton Ferdinand has just been released by QPR and is now a free agent. Chances?

• August 9, 2013 at 16:46

@NICKOLA: He's s*** and you know he is. Nowhere near as good as Shittu, Robinson or Beevers and I don't care who his brother is he's f****** useless and not a very good role model for our young fans.

• August 9, 2013 at 16:51

@Old_Les: Yet again I find myself agreeing with you Les!!!! He is worse than useless. How he has made as good a living as he has out of football is beyond me - not at any price should we go anywhere near him!!!!

• August 9, 2013 at 18:08

@Adsy77777: We have enough problems done here as it is without him stirring the sh1t.

• August 9, 2013 at 16:54

@Adsy77777: @Old_Les: agree completely with both of you. What is the news on Shorey? Anyone?

• August 9, 2013 at 16:54

@Peckhamlad: I like the idea of Martin starting but I doubt he will do full 90 minutes so that will be the ideal time for Easter to come on with 30 mins left.@Old_Les: correct

• August 9, 2013 at 17:30

But he's fitter now than he was 10 years ago, honest Guvnor !!

@Old_Les:

• August 9, 2013 at 17:40

@NICKOLA: Even old twitchy couldn't pass him off!!!!

• August 9, 2013 at 18:14

@NICKOLA: A Peckham lad! bring him in.

• August 9, 2013 at 16:52

1-1 : )

• August 9, 2013 at 17:06

we should play a 4-2-3-1

gk: bywater

def: shittu,beevers,lowry,dunne

mid: bailey,derry

am: chaplow,martin, fenney or henry

st: morison or keogh

• August 9, 2013 at 20:26

@ejhcakckvis: You may be right but there is not going to be much football played out with that back row. Hoof it out again.

• August 9, 2013 at 22:58

@Sealion: they're the best defenders we've got so far..

• August 10, 2013 at 00:06

@ejhcakckvis: I completely agree with you about the 4-2-3-1, but I have to disagree with you on the starting eleven. My team would be:

Bywater
      Dunne Robinson Beevers Malone
      Bailey Derry
      Henry Chaplow Martin/Keogh (Only Keogh if Martin isn't match fit)
      Morison

• August 9, 2013 at 18:13

Anton is a ____ and no chance we will get him,,, he's not good enough.

• August 9, 2013 at 18:21

Well old bollock chops didn't think so !!

@Peckhamlad:

• August 9, 2013 at 18:50

Billy Sharp on Sky at the moment.Not in Southamptons plans this season.Will be available either Loan or more.Wonder why Forest did not try to sign him after last seasons Loan ?

• August 9, 2013 at 18:53

@Longfield Lion: Yes please. Should link well with Chappers and probably would be ready to play before McD.

• August 9, 2013 at 18:59

@Sealion: Always said we should sign Sharp. Good old fashioned striker. Probably be happy to team up with Chap.

• August 9, 2013 at 20:32

@hants lion: Fully agree Hants, when they were going on about McD, Church and Davies I could not believe Sharp didn't get a mention, would have been my choice out of that lot and with the Chaplow connection I would have thought it would have been poss. But you don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

• August 10, 2013 at 09:10

@Sealion: I heard the asking price for Sharp was over a million, out of budget. Don't know about loan though. I agree, he would have been my choice too but we aren't told everything.

• August 9, 2013 at 20:05

Just realised my mistake I thought we were talking about Glen Hoddles psychic

• August 10, 2013 at 00:08

@Sealion: yep, doofus is my middle name. That'll teach me not to read the posts properly...

• August 9, 2013 at 20:49

McCarthy will play it really tight a 0-0 is on the cards

• August 10, 2013 at 00:06

@MillwallGra: genuine mistake mate no joke intended, honestly.

• August 10, 2013 at 08:01

@lion.ie: thanks Lion appreciate the comment, time to move on lads I clearly missunderstood who we were talking about and no malice intended. We can even talk about the game!

• August 10, 2013 at 09:58

Come on Millwall season starts today

0-3 to the lions

• August 10, 2013 at 11:01

Getting away from all the bull***t above which spoils this board let's hope Millwall can get a result today. It isn't going to be easy with so many new faces but its the first league away game under the new management so good luck all and come back with a point or three!

• August 10, 2013 at 11:21

Anyone have an idea of what the team miight be today?

• August 10, 2013 at 11:44

Based on training ground info. The team should like something like this-
      Bywater
      Dunne Shittu Beevers Lowry
      Henry Derry Bailey Chaplow
      Easter Morrison
      Subs Marshall Malone Smith Robinson Martin Keogh McDonald
      That's assuming a 442.
      If the squad of 18 as predicted above is correct then there's obviously no place for DNG Woolnough Wright or Abdou. I do think that Martin and McDonald will come on at some point unless we're getting creamed, in which case he'll shuffle the defence. I'm sure Lomas and ourselves would be happy with a point but let's hope for all three !

@Peckhamlad:

• August 10, 2013 at 12:43

@NICKOLA: I should have thought Feeney would be in the reckoning and would not be surprised if N'Guessan travels.

• August 10, 2013 at 11:23

Being optimistic we are only 3 points off of a play off position an away win would keep us 3 points off the play offs. COYL

• August 10, 2013 at 11:25

I wouldn't mind seeing at 4-4-1-1 formation with Easter just behind Moro. And that way the midfield will be more controlled with the likes of Martin Chaplow bailey derry

• August 10, 2013 at 12:09

were gonna win 0-5 watch lol

• August 10, 2013 at 12:11

Looks like Malone isn't even travelling with the squad, he commented on twitter he'll be watching soccer Saturday with a brew.

• August 10, 2013 at 12:21

@LowerBlock31: Thats a pity, he has been doing quite well lately and his overlap play has been welcome. After how he was treated last season it was nice to see him coming back into the reckoning. He is still a young guy and would benefit from a longer run in the side.
      I hope this does not knock his confidence and set him back.

• August 10, 2013 at 12:48

Read this guff below from Ipswich town, a bit provocative I think, but should we worry about Martin's temperament?

Lee Martin will get extra stick from his former Ipswich teammates as they look to get him sent off when they take on Millwall.

The mercurial Martin saw red three times while playing for the Blues and was also booked 20 times as his temperament let him down.

Now Ipswich skipper Carlos Edwards plans to exploit that ill-discipline telling the EADT:

"He`s so easy to wind up," laughed Edwards. "My missus doesn`t get wound up that easy and I get on her nerves.

"He used to get wound up in the changing room. Someone would say something to him and he`d take a chunk out of them like a great white shark. That`s Lee Martin, that`s his signature.

"We might only have to say something out of the ordinary to him on Saturday and he could snap. Maybe we can just yell at him and he will do something silly and get sent off.

"I`m not that type of player though so maybe I will just whisper to a team mate and get them to do it instead.

"He`s the exact opposite of me. I`m so easy going, I think if I lie back I might be sleeping in water or something. That`s my main weakness. I might be too laid back. I am improving on that though."

Let's hope the tactic works, it may not be that sporting but hey, we need the points.

Read more: http://www.ipswich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=328151#ixzz2bZ9LVLL9

• August 10, 2013 at 14:24

Bywater, Smith, Shittu, Beevers, Lowry, Derry, Bailey, Chaplow, Henry, Morison, Keogh

Subs: Marshall, Dunne, Robinson, Abdou, Feeney, Easter, McDonal

• August 10, 2013 at 14:46

Martin not fit then, otherwise pretty much as expected with a 442 though Smith in for Dunne which means to me he's going to get in a new right back soon.
      @Eightieswall:

• August 10, 2013 at 14:53

@NICKOLA: I hope Chaplow plays in the middle but doubt it.He aint a winger and less effective out wide.

• August 10, 2013 at 15:12

Agree, but he's better suited than Derry or Bailey and those two had to play.
          Interesting that Feeney, Easter and McDonald are subs. Looks like we're going for it this afternoon !!

@Eightieswall:

• August 10, 2013 at 14:37

GOOD LUCK TODAY LADS. GOT A FEELING WE MAY NIC IT . COYL!!!!!!!!

• August 10, 2013 at 14:43

Good luck but diss appointed that Easter has been left out for Keogh where is the width?

• August 10, 2013 at 14:48

Thanks Eightieswall
    That looks like a decent line up that just needs time to gel together.
    Lets hope Robbo gets on second half

• August 10, 2013 at 14:59

come on wall, listening to the game on radio london

• August 10, 2013 at 16:11

@Eightieswall: just listened to report on talksport seems Millwall have been under a lot of pressure and two players booked already.

• August 10, 2013 at 16:27

Ipswich 1 Millwall 0

• August 10, 2013 at 16:28

Shane Lowry scores an own goal

• August 10, 2013 at 16:31

@willownix: bleeding hell never get the luck when you need it

• August 10, 2013 at 16:33

Ipswich 2 Millwall 0

• August 10, 2013 at 16:46

Ipswich 3 Millwall 0

• August 10, 2013 at 16:48

What a way to ruin a weekend.
      Can see a few changes to the defence before next Saturday...........

@willownix:

• August 10, 2013 at 17:03

@NICKOLA: Now perhaps we will sign Shorey.

• August 10, 2013 at 17:10

You might be right. Wasn't there so really don't know what went on. Will wait to hear from others and comments from Lomas. Either way I'm off to have a few beers. My wife doesn't understand why it's so important and asked me to quantify what it means to lose. So I said imagine you've got a flat tyre first thing in the morning-and then imagine that all four are flat.

@Sealion:

• August 10, 2013 at 17:08

@NICKOLA: @NICKOLA: @NICKOLA: Can see a few in the forward line as well...useless- he took off Morison, Keogh and I think Chaplow to be replaced with Easter Feeney and McDonald. Just not good enough. I am starting to have doubts already. KJ won well with Wolves!

• August 10, 2013 at 16:48

3-0 down a disaster, SL has taken the forward line off replaced with
    Easter Feeney and McDonald.

• August 10, 2013 at 16:50

Well what can I say. New Team or not this scoreline is absolutely s****. JB wants bigger attendances he's f*****g joking. Hard earnt cash for that rubbish.

• August 10, 2013 at 16:50