Millwall boss insists age is just a number for loanee Derry

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

MANAGER Steve Lomas believes loan signing Shaun Derry's vast experience will be a major boost to Millwall's midfield.

Derry has joined the Lions on an initial one-month deal from QPR, but extending that until the end of the season, or signing him permanently, are both strong possibilities.

The 35-year-old has made nearly 500 senior career appearances and Lomas insists Derry is in tip-top physical condition despite his advancing years.

He said: "People talk about age but I think Shaun is probably fitter now than when he was 28 – that's what Harry Redknapp said to me, and he had him at Portsmouth back then.

"Shaun has not really had a lot of injuries or surgery – like I had in my career – and he looks after himself really well.

"He knows the level – he played 20 games in the Premier League last year, 28 the year before and 45 in the Championship when QPR won the league. He's a player that takes a lot of pride in himself, he's experienced, he's good on the ball and he's a winner.

"I've said from the offset that the loss of Liam Trotter was a big blow, so we're glad to get Shaun in. He showed real desire to get here, he was desperate to continue playing and I think he'll be a welcome addition.

"It is a chance for us to have a look at Shaun and a chance for him to have a look at us. He might turn around at the end of it and say 'no thanks', but he wants to play and doesn't want to be a bit-part player. He wants to play every week."

54 thoughts on “Millwall boss insists age is just a number for loanee Derry

• August 8, 2013 at 17:06

Have no problems with this signing if it works great if not we can send him back after a month. Liked someones idea of a 4 2 3 1, would work well with our midfielders

• August 8, 2013 at 18:27

@mfc123: At least someone agrees with me about the 4 2 3 1 formation, with the likes of Derry and Bailey playing as holding midfielders we can play out from the back, and that's how we'll bring the best out of Trotter and Chaplow

• August 8, 2013 at 18:51

@JKiernan7: If he's only here for a month it's hardly likely to bring the best out of Trotter

• August 8, 2013 at 22:35

Les- Possible midfield----
          Henry/Feeney Bailey Chaplow Derry Martin-
          When Trotter is fit and becomes the player he used to be, Trotter ousts Derry. If he does and assuming that a fit Trotter coincides with the one month renewal clause on Derry's loan then it's time to look at extending the loan. If he plays a different formation, then allowing for injuries, suspensions or loss of form we've got cover.
          Please don't start me on Jack Smith, Abdou or Wright as back-ups because they pale into insignifcance by comparison. He can't bring in 20 players-well, not in one season anyway- so the squad he inherited will be utilised as best as possible. Very sure that given the numbers in the current squad that 4 will be out a week from today,

@Old_Les:

• August 9, 2013 at 00:38

@Old_Les: I was referring to the formation, with two holding midfielders it allows Trotter to focus solely on attacking rather than having to keep chasing back and forth like he would in a 4 4 2

• August 8, 2013 at 21:44

@JKiernan7: Didn't Bailey say that he'd like to get back to scoring goals from midfield. Doesn't sound like he wants to carry on in his 'Boro role?

• August 9, 2013 at 00:43

@lion.ie: Yes he did, but Frank Lampard played a deeper role for chelsea last season and still managed to pitch in with seventeen goals

• August 8, 2013 at 17:07

Bye Jimmy and Josh, heard Swindon, Brentford and MK Dons have all made enquires about N'Guessan as well

• August 8, 2013 at 17:20

I THINK A GOOD A DEAL FOR BOTH PLAYER, AND US. BE SAD TO SEE JIMMY GO BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THE DOLLYS DONE DANCING FOR HIM. I WISH HIM WELL ALL THE SAME. ONWARDS AND UPWARDS . COYL !!!!

• August 8, 2013 at 17:36

Love this bit : "People talk about age but I think Shaun is probably fitter now than when he was 28 - that's what Harry Redknapp said to me, and he had him at Portsmouth back then."
    Cos Harry never lies ? haha.

• August 8, 2013 at 17:54

We'll see on Saturday what shape he's in. Lomas has seen him train and he's apparently fitter than Bailey at the moment and certainly a better player than Wright.

@Sealion:

• August 8, 2013 at 18:08

@NICKOLA: I know your right Nick and I fully trust SL, he's definitely nobodies fool but I just had to chuckle when I read that bit.

• August 8, 2013 at 20:31

@Sealion: I wonder what wonderful things HR had to say about Hulse before he offloaded that donkey on us? He probably told Fulham that Tarabt is a real gent and always does things for other people.

• August 8, 2013 at 18:08

Great signing, we finally have a midfield player that can put his foot in and pass a ball. Lets hope he settles in and it works out.

• August 8, 2013 at 21:54

@Davey: Did we sign Fabregas?

• August 8, 2013 at 22:20

No but his brother Britishgas is interested.

@lion.ie:

• August 9, 2013 at 08:22

@Davey: he also likes to kick lumps out of the opposition,which normally I don't have a problem with but Derry in a wall shirt the refs are going to love it,

• August 8, 2013 at 18:11

Age is just a number, SL is right. He could easily do 2 years at wall and keep us in the fight for a top 6 finish. He's far better than Josh and Jimmy at his age. He will bring vast experience into the dressing room too. That will help the younger one on and off the pitch even if he doesn't always start....Coyl

• August 8, 2013 at 18:21

He could be 97 and he would be better than Josh Wright.

• August 8, 2013 at 18:50

@Big Millwall: he could be dead and better than Josh Wright. I think it's a good deal and set up the right way - if Jimmy's on 8 grand and wright is nicking 6 and they get nowhere near the team, surely it's better to have Derry on 12 and contributing?

• August 8, 2013 at 18:46

I agree about age but am not convinced about loan signings unless they are young and from a Premier club. I hope Trotter gets back to fitness soon. I am still optimistic about the season and SL seems determined enough to get it right. Tomorrows team selection will be a pointer, I hope Easter is in the front line after his fine performance in the week.

• August 8, 2013 at 18:53

Might be an interesting read on here if he's utter s**** in his first game.

• August 8, 2013 at 18:55

Got to say Derry is one of those players you want on your side, he will get in players faces win tackles and can play with a bit of composure from the back. He will complement both chaplow and baily and remember this is a fella who had lampard rattled not so long ago and before we get above ourselfs let's remember who we are. Mid table would be great progression and a player like Derry in our squad will only help us.

• August 8, 2013 at 19:56

@pete-mtid: totally agree with you, how many years have we watched him play against us, getting in our faces... One of those players you hate to play against but on your side it's good! Will watch with interest how he gets on. Alongside toughy Bailey I think the midfield will get their mojo back 🙂

• August 8, 2013 at 20:34

"That's what Harry told me"

• August 8, 2013 at 20:37

Blimey Steve, if Redknapp sold you a Mini and said it was a Roller, would you believe him?
    All joking aside a good acquisition.
    COYL

• August 8, 2013 at 20:50

Not bothered about age........Giggs , Scholes , Teddy , Gordon Strachan , Mcallister to name but a few all played top flight football in their late 30s.... If you're good enough youre old enough , or young enough in this case

• August 9, 2013 at 09:21

@Block 8: Is that who else is on Steve's list. lol

• August 8, 2013 at 21:05

Nothing wrong with age, and most of the old boys brought in are good quality for the championship, but a couple of youngsters from the lower leagues or non league would be nice so we have a base for the future?

• August 8, 2013 at 21:43

Old, young what's the difference. Bottom line is that if we finish mid table ( at least in my humble opinion) then we'll call it a good season. We're trying to establish ourselves as a top 10 team so if we sign stop-gaps so be it. I've never, ever said a bad word about Lomas for many reasons but primarily because he can see what we can see. What a revelation that is. He's got the budget, has brought in some bloody good players knowing that some of them weren't fit which is why we saw that team vs AFC Wimbledon. He's had a good look at the whole squad on the training field, recognised the s**** and addressed it. How many players has he brought in now ? I've lost count. But not one transfer fee and that's a very astute bit of business. Yes, there's signing on fees and agent fees but we've still got at least 4 players on our books that by next week won't be. By the time he's also put 3-4 fringe players/ youth players out on loan we'll be much closer to a tight group with adequate cover. By September everyone will be fit and we just need to average 2 points a game to be in the top six. Keep the faith, believe, and the world will be our oyster !!

• August 8, 2013 at 21:54

@NICKOLA: I agree with you Nik - less players - better quality - sounds good to me - get the players you want and then dump the ones you don't. I could see the reasoning behind KJ letting Henderson go especially as it looked like Wood was signing; trouble was Wood didn't sign for us and we had to finish the season 2 strikers light.

• August 8, 2013 at 22:23

Don't get me started on Jackett please--------------I was one of the first that wanted him out.

• August 8, 2013 at 23:30

@NICKOLA: I didn't at the time but I have to hold my hands up, the place is buzzing again - I didn't want Lomas and it's early days but so far Lomas has impressed me

• August 8, 2013 at 21:51

I seem to be in the minority at the moment, but still don't get this signing, especially if it does turn out long term. I'll swallow the month though and see how it goes. (-:~

• August 8, 2013 at 22:17

Seems fair enough to me. 1 Month loan and see where it goes. The worrying thing for me was SL's comment..

Eeek!!
    You can't believe what Twitchy says Steve

• August 8, 2013 at 22:19

I think SL needs to start concentrating on getting players OFF the books now or we will start p****** all our cash away ! One thing Millwall can't count on is bums on seats, not until we are competing at the top of the championship ! Get rid, start being a bit shrewed with or chairmans cash, becaus once it's gone it's gone then we will struggle

• August 8, 2013 at 22:31

I don't think JB is a mug. I am sure he has given SL instructions to get rid, so will see a few going. I think Derry is a good signing, hard and had some class unlike jimmy, shame as it is.

• August 8, 2013 at 22:43

Having thought about it, I think what we are all missing here is the point that Lomas is bringing in a whole new starting eleven. It's a succint move but it is happening before our eyes.
      Once that's been achieved, then last seasons squad that he inherited, will in the main be gone. By April next year, I'm very sure that the team that started vs Derby last season will be gone with the exception of Forde, Henry, Beevers and Robinson.

@beedoscores:

• August 9, 2013 at 09:30

@NICKOLA: Maybe Henry too if he doesn't start playing well.
        He has been far too inconsistent and at the moment imo is a bit of a luxury. I like Henry but if he can't or wont perform to a reasonable level week in and week out it may be better to cash in and get someone who will. Same goes for Trotts but in his case I am more hopeful.

• August 8, 2013 at 23:10

earth to lomas we need a lb and a rb, the lb problem could be solved for 5k a week and he still training with us, ffs sign shorey get an half decent rb and we're sorted. the rising attendances wld help the wage budget.

• August 8, 2013 at 23:16

Just briefly scrolling through and a lot of 4 2 3 1 formation being chucked about and it doesn't sound the most appealing who would you purp

• August 8, 2013 at 23:16

• August 8, 2013 at 23:16

Purpose* we play?

• August 9, 2013 at 00:51

@conor:
      4 2 3 1
      Forde (when fit)
      Dunne Robinson Beevers Malone
      Bailey Derry
      Henry Chaplow/Trotter Martin
      Morison

• August 9, 2013 at 07:20

Horne , stevens , mcleary , wood , dawes , hurlock , briley , o'callaghan , carter , cascarino and sheringham.......sorry couldn't resist that !

• August 9, 2013 at 07:33

Let's off-load that lazy cnut Trotter!

• August 9, 2013 at 08:43

Olivier Kapo training with Wall ? Any truth ?

• August 9, 2013 at 09:26

I think we should all let SL get on with his job, he is only starting to get to know his team and they him Some on here forget that there was already a nucleus of a good team at Millwall, they got to the FA cup semi-final after all and I doubt if many of the names people want to get rid of where not being mentioned then. The players are not commodities they are earning a living for their families, what bigger motivation is that? Give the guys a chance, when the club feels a player should move on or a player wants to go that will happen. Show the players some respect.. Oilvier Kapo appears to be training with the club..he is a good player.

• August 9, 2013 at 09:45

Kapo is a good player but why are we looking at wingers when we need to be shoring up our defence ? ,,,,,,, C O Y L

• August 9, 2013 at 10:23

@ascot lion: Agreed another full back would be welcome but a winger of Kapo's class and experience would also give the team more attacking options.

Sl is not letting up or sitting back on his laurels, great!