Millwall enquire about loan deal for QPR midfielder Derry

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL have expressed an interest in QPR midfielder Shaun Derry.

Lions manager Steve Lomas approached the West London club on Monday asking to take the 35-year-old on loan, but the terms of the deal have yet to be agreed.

Speaking on Sky Sports News, Derry admitted: "There is a link there, but obviously I played last night for 30 minutes [in the Capital One Cup] and enjoyed playing.

"I'm 35 now, I'm not 25 and a guy who likes to sit on the bench. I spent a lot of last year on the bench watching from the sidelines, and I'm a footballer who likes to play.

"If there was to be an opportunity for me to play elsewhere then that is something I'd really have to look into quite deeply, but as it stands at the moment I am a QPR player and a very committed one.

"Me and Harry Redknapp have had a frank discussion last night and, although I am a QPR player, I am very open to playing football.

"I don't want to be wasting my final years, not that I feel I am anywhere near the scrapheap, but for the short-term playing games is really at the forefront of my mind

"I really missed playing a number of games last season. If, and it is a big if, I was to be given an opportunity at Millwall or anywhere else for that matter, it is something I would definitely have to look into."

R's boss Redknapp is happy for Derry to depart Loftus Road but wants Millwall to pay a significantly larger percentage of his wages than they initially offered.

Last week, Derry tipped the Lions to challenge for promotion this season. He said: "I feel they've made some good signings.

"They've got a new manager there in Steve Lomas and I've been to see them a few times; they're a very passionate bunch down at The Den.

"But the signings they've made are Championship quality and good, good players and I expect them to finish a lot higher than they did last year."

68 thoughts on “Millwall enquire about loan deal for QPR midfielder Derry

• August 7, 2013 at 17:19

Might do a job for us in the short term - at least until Trotter is fit. Obviously, the penny is starting to drop with SL that probably Jimmy and definitely Wright are not good enough if we want to be competitive.
    Thank God!

• August 8, 2013 at 10:25

i'd like to see him sitting in front of the back four giving NB licence to get forward, alongside LT & RC, thats a strong championship Midfield, with either MacD/Koegh or Morrison getting goals, then we have have Feeney and Martin and Woolford to get into the side,agree with adsy77777 that jimbo & wrighty will struggle in this division now and would also like to get a better right back than dunne, whats happened to shorey? We haven't been this spoilt for choice for years............COYLs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• August 7, 2013 at 17:37

Looks as if jimmy and Josh's days are numbered Derry will bring stability and know how to the midfield although he's old cud be a ok signing

• August 7, 2013 at 17:40

Bye,bye Jimmy and Josh.

• August 7, 2013 at 17:41

Derry would be a quality signing as long as Lomas plays a 4-2-3-1. We could have Derry and Bailey sitting in front of the defence as they can both pass their way out from the back, then have Chaplow or Trotter when he's back playing a more advanced role in behind the striker.

• August 7, 2013 at 17:51

What a life, from 'Player of the Year' to 'Surplus to Requirements' !

• August 7, 2013 at 18:02

@frank: Having been mugged by Harry once for a QPR oap (Cart Hulse) Do we really want it to happen again. This guy is 35 and admits he has not had much football and HR is trying to get us to pay a large amount of his wages.
      He may be better than Jimmy or Josh but is that really saying much. I just have a sense of deja vue.
      Hope i'm wrong.

• August 7, 2013 at 18:06

@Sealion: No disrespect to Derry but I do not trust dodgy Harry one little bit. I wouldn't buy a car off the bloke let alone an expensive footballer.

• August 7, 2013 at 18:13

Might sound like a well worn record, but with Bailey, Trotter, Chaplow, Martin, Henry and now possibly Derry it looks very likely that most of last seasons midfield won't be with us much longer.
    I'm not totally convinced about a 35yr old but in his favour he does have what Lomas is looking for-Someone who can put his foot on the ball and move it forward ACCURATELY.

• August 7, 2013 at 18:27

@NICKOLA: Hi Nick, did we have a midfield last season haha. But they are well passed their best by date and hopefully not past their sell by date. They have proved game after game that they are not championship players. So thanks for the service chaps and best wishes for you at your new clubs.

• August 7, 2013 at 18:32

I don't think that we're going to get any money at all for Abdou, Wright, Woolford etc.
        DNG will bring in some cash but not much methinks. Personally, I'd have the buckets out next home game and hand the contents over to him as a cheerio old son.

@Sealion:

• August 7, 2013 at 18:36

@NICKOLA: I would pay Clubs to take them !

• August 7, 2013 at 18:48

@NICKOLA: DNG will stay he is yet to play and I contend will be a sharper player than before. We should stop slagging off our own players, I can't see how Derry will fit in and would prefer another full back in the team.

• August 7, 2013 at 18:28

Poor old Jimmy Abdou , I love him to bits but , we can't have someone who treats the ball like a hot potato at the heart of our midfield. I think the clear out is well under way now.......

• August 7, 2013 at 18:39

I am all out of lurv for Jimmy he's not good enough, Wright not good enough, DNG,Marquis! Can all leave the wriggle room, this is a new championship Millwall. If last nights anything to go by the fullbacks could change as well.

• August 7, 2013 at 18:40

It's no secret that I think Wright is Sunday League, but with poor old Jimmy, I think that the way football is going and the way that SL says he wants to play, the emphasis is more on retaining the ball than spoiling or winning the ball back. Unfortunately, pin point, first time passing has never been Jimmy's strong point.

• August 7, 2013 at 18:42

Jimmy is 100% commitment but not good enough at this level unfortunately. I'll be sad to see him go though because he has worked his socks off for several years. He is however league 1. As for Derry....no. short term loan perhaps but not season long.

• August 7, 2013 at 22:37

@southlondon1885:
      Perhaps KJ can take 'em up to molineux. As for Derry - NO!

• August 7, 2013 at 18:47

Jimmy is 100% commitment but not good enough at this level unfortunately. I'll be sad to see him go though because he has worked his socks off for several years. He is however league 1. As for Derry....no. short term loan perhaps but not season long loan

• August 7, 2013 at 18:47

• August 7, 2013 at 18:49

Jackett's eleven last season were not good enough. Last night, 9 of them started and 1 came on as a substitute. Of the players Lomas has signed, Bailey started and Martin and McDonald came on. Those three played a total of under 90 minutes between all of them. Bywater played in Forde's absence but I think he would have played last night anyway. It's clear that the new signings will eventually oust last seasons lot and when we've got them all fit and playing we're going to do well.

• August 7, 2013 at 18:50

Truth is what with the stupid money QPR are throwing about his time is up under Harry 'car dealer' Redknapp. At 35 a 1 year loan deal is just the ticket for Derry. Bit more experience in the middle would see a midfield that can compete at this level and help get rid of players not good enough.
    COYL

• August 7, 2013 at 19:03

I'm not a big fan of Redknapp but he's nobody's fool. QPR, in the last 2 days have loaned out Remy, Harriman and Taarabt to get them off the payroll, signed Austin and now he's looking to loan out Derry but you've got to pay a big percentage of his wages for the privilege. I'd be looking at the defence as a priority myself.

@WestKentLion:

• August 7, 2013 at 19:04

@WestKentLion: 1 year is what I thought WKL; Twitchy wants us to pay 'more' of a share of Derry's wages but we don't know what Millwall offered to pay and qpr are desperate to get players off of their wage bill. If we can pick him up cheap enough, IMO it would be another good addition.

• August 7, 2013 at 19:14

Bringing in 35 year old loan players . . . Let's not go down that route again please

• August 7, 2013 at 19:51

@Fingers: Agreed, but there are 35 year olds and there are 35 year olds. Derry was still performing in the premier last year. According to my qpr mate he's still a decent player. I wouldn't want us to fork out a lot of wages for him but if we can take advantage of the situation at rangers he might be a good addition for a season.

• August 7, 2013 at 19:18

I think at 35 he's a risk unless he's going to be used as a sub. Considering the player SL has brought in, I think Derry would struggle to maintain a starting shirt every week. Still I guess with our record of conceding late goals so far this season he could come on as sub to sure things up at the end of a tight game. We lack composure from the back so he could be good in that situation. Roll on Saturday anyway for the first points on the board of this campaign. Miiiiii

• August 7, 2013 at 19:24

@southlondon1885: Perhaps he could be a stop gap until our new players are fit to play 90mins hopefully before December.

• August 7, 2013 at 21:22

@Sealion: i think we would need a stop gap for the stop gap, cause didnt he spend most of last season getting splinters so would he be fit enough, or have i got that completly wrong.

• August 7, 2013 at 20:55

@sealion yeah could be. Just dont want or nesd to see another hulse at the Den. Not sure how effective he would be for us. Still, keep the faith.

• August 7, 2013 at 21:31

QPR have also just signed Gary O Neil.

• August 7, 2013 at 22:07

Would be very sad if we sold Jimmy, plays his heart out but theres not good enough sometimes, maybe he'd go to Wolves with Jackett?

• August 7, 2013 at 22:10

Too old and too late for me, also how many bloody MF's do we need? Trotter be back in September and with Chaplow, Bailey Jimmy and Josh I can't see the need for him. I think Jimmy is good for a job at this level but think Wright has to show some dominant displays soon or it will be too late.

• August 7, 2013 at 22:16

I think derry would be good addition to the squad at the right price. Twitcher is no mug, but they won't set this league alight. Get him in, move out jimmy and wright and have a go this year.

• August 7, 2013 at 22:24

glyngo - I agree with you about how many midfielders do we need because even if we get rid of Jimmy and Josh before the transfer deadline Trotter should be fit in September. If we get Derry on loan at inflated wages and would have wasted money for a 35 year old to probably sit on the bench. What happened to Abeid the midfielder from Newcastle who we were supposed to be interested in?. SL had him on loan at St Johnstone last season but can only assume that he didn't consider him to be good for the Championship. I also assume we released Gary Dicker, ex Brighton, who we had on trial.

• August 7, 2013 at 23:03

@denslions: The bloke from newcastle has gone on a seasons loan to panathaniokos

• August 7, 2013 at 22:27

Think abeid ended up on loan abroad somewhere, Greece i believe.

• August 7, 2013 at 22:34

Good player, knows this league inside out. A player who can put his foot on the ball and bring a bit of composure to the team instead of panicking and rushing things. Sort of leader you need around the squad. I'd have him tomorrow. While you're at it get Clint Hill in aswell. No need to repeat the 'outs'

• August 7, 2013 at 22:36

@Swanny: Clint Hill, seriously? Shocking player.

• August 7, 2013 at 22:46

@lion.ie: not fit for the prem, granted but always been solid at our level. How old is he?

• August 7, 2013 at 22:54

@Swanny: Dunno Swanny, but whenever I see him play it's like watching an accident waiting to happen.

• August 7, 2013 at 23:00

Derry is a no for me.. would rather utilise the Loan allowance in bringing in a younger player with maybe a chance to sign them permanently if they do well.
    Worked out quite well with Chris Woods & Adam Smith although we obviously didn't sign them up.. but they are the type of player to get in and maybe get lucky with a bid at Xmas.

• August 7, 2013 at 23:17

Looks like Wigan are signing James McLean. Men vs boys in the transfer market.

• August 7, 2013 at 23:33

Lets get a young premier loanee, is not Lomas a pal of Moyes?

Man U must have someone up to the challenge and needing good competitive football.

• August 8, 2013 at 00:02

@wongo: Nathan Ake from Chelsea, now that would be a coup by Lomas. This boy is class and will go to the top of the tree in time. Was supposed to go to Vitesse Arnhem on loan but wants to stay in England in either the Premiership or Championship. Already captained Dutch under 17 and 19, Chelsea young player of the year last season.

• August 8, 2013 at 01:08

for me derry is a no. shorey is still training with us, we havent signed him simply because we cant afford wages, we need to sell before sl signs him so derry must be a no because we will have to stump up wages. sl needs to slow down and take stock, as it stands we have one fit gk and our weakest cover posistions are the full backs, why do we need another cm when we have bailey, chaplow, trotter when fit and at the mo jim and josh all vying for 2 places max. ffs even jack smith can cover. we need another keeper on a short term loan, sign shorey who will cost just wages, out josh, jimmy and marquis and def woolford. then get the rb we need to take place of dunney. why we didnt bring adam smith back beggars belief a season long loan would have been ideal. i also think we need a paul moody type target man who moro, mcd and keogh can play off whoever selected. coyl

• August 8, 2013 at 07:29

@thepromiselandbeckons: Agree about signing Shorey. What I can't understand is that Shorey is a free agent and is still training with us therefore no-one is paying him wages at the moment. Is SL then playing a waiting game until Shorey runs out of money and will take less wages? Also, Dicker was all the rage with us a week or so ago. Our interest in Derry presumably means that Dicker has moved on. Anybody know?

• August 8, 2013 at 07:31

a 35 year old bench warmer ......I don't think so I also heard redcrap wants to loan out Rodney marsh .... more fof his dogs pension fund .......C O Y L

• August 8, 2013 at 07:36

.....also, we were giving Zadkovich a trial. So that's Zadkovich, Dicker, Derry plus Trotter, Chaplow, Bailey, Henry, Wright, Abdou - perhaps SL is considering a 0-9-1 formation.

• August 8, 2013 at 08:00

@Profiler4: Lomas has seen the light where Zadkovich is concerned. He's gone back to the land of Oz.

• August 8, 2013 at 08:20

As all of the above were being looked at or having training sessions with us, they have now seemed to have fallen by the wayside i.e not good enough, now we are thinking of taking on a 35 year old midfeild player from a right doddgy gezzer, really not happy about this this shows a lack of ambition and some desperation on our part I think.

I do think yes we were dissipointed with the result on Saturday and even Tuesdays game , but I am sure that most of us will give SL a bit more time than 1 week in compertition, at least I hope so, if he does need a player like Derry then look for someone younger and who we might even try to sign after there laon period is up.

• August 8, 2013 at 08:37

i just hope sl hasnt caught spackmans virus, just signing anyone and everyone. the season is up and running yet we still taking people on trial what have the scouts been doing all summer other than lowrys link to celtic are any other players linked with a move elsewhere.

• August 8, 2013 at 08:41

i can`t believe pro footballers need time to get fit after 4 weeks training, i train once a week & play 90 mins every sunday, mind you looking at our new fitness coach that lomas has brought in he`s not exactly a role model, i think he irons his shirts over a wok !! get all the newbies in the starting lineup SL & give them 70 mins on the pich giving 110% for the badge, coyl

• August 8, 2013 at 08:49

christ alive don't sign this has been. all he has ever been good for is being a dirty p**** like he was at leeds and palarse. but now he is too slow and fat to get near anyone to do that. id much rather a useless t***** in jimmy running about than an old t***** who cant move. would be like signing Derek McInnes again

• August 8, 2013 at 10:24

I would welcome Derry, he's experienced, knows the division and when qpr first went up he played a fair bit and although out of his depth he always gave everything. In terms of jimmy I think people take his role out of context. He's got an amazing engine and just chases and breaks up play. I seem to remember him marking taarabt out of a game a few seasons ago. He's not meant to do anything pretty, just win it back and release to the nearest person. Id keep him in the squad for the tough away games. I agree he's not a first team player though. I hope it doesn't happen but i wouldn't be shocked if we sell trotter for a couple million instead. Selling abdou and wright would barely cover what were spending on the new guys and at the minute we have about 7 centre mids

• August 8, 2013 at 11:56

I can't see a 35yr old being of any use. He'll want to play, not sit on the bench and his wages would make it nonsense to not acually play him. In place of who ? Bailey, Chaplow...I don't think so.
      Derek McInnes-Now there was someone who was a role model, trained hard but just did not slot into the formation and ultimately went elsewhere. I see no point in completely revamping the midfield and use precious money on a player of that age for what would be a short term fix. What we should be doing, and hopefully we are, is to circulate that certain players are now available from last seasons midfield to not only offload the excess but to save wages and thereby create funds to sign either permanently or on loan a younger midfielder. All these players that Lomas has brought in were his original targets. What are the scouts doing then ??

@crayfordlion:

• August 8, 2013 at 12:23

@NICKOLA: I don't think we really need him but I wouldn't be UNHAPPY if it comes out we sign him for a month. Gets stuck in and puts his foot on the ball then there's no harm done. I agree that we're better off with a premiership youngster. I'm very intrigued about whats gonna happen when trots back and we have bailey and chaplow available? Chaplows better inside than out wide. If he continues with 442 then somebody's going to be unhappy!

• August 8, 2013 at 12:21

You get to the premiership and there you get Millions £££ in revenue, your not good enough in the Prem, so you get relegated and someone gives you more Millions, wrap it up and lets it all float to earth on a parachute. Now that makes me sick and that's why we can never keep up with the teams that come down. palace will be down next year (God willing), however they will be loaded. Pi#### me right off !!!
    COYL please.

• August 8, 2013 at 12:25

Why did we not go for gary oneil, a lions fan, instead of this has been?

• August 8, 2013 at 12:30

I don't think Derry is a long-term option but could be useful for a season long loan as a back-up player. As for Jimmy, I don't think he really fits in to the passing football team that SL is wanting to create. He's been shown up a bit already, but let's not forget that it's Ramadan so he won't be eating in the daytime, which is bound to affect his performance. In the medium/long term I think Jimmy's days are numbered. As for Wright, I must admit I did like him in Jackett's side because he can pass a bit but he has really not shown it under SL and may be on the way out too.

• August 8, 2013 at 12:38

He would be a good addition for us.

• August 8, 2013 at 12:42

Forest Away in cup, hiding to nothing but at least it gives SL another properly competitive game to get the team going.

• August 8, 2013 at 13:07

Andy Marshall is currently training with Millwall. The back-up goalie we need ?

• August 8, 2013 at 13:34

@NICKOLA: That training ground must be getting a bit chocker at the moment.

• August 8, 2013 at 13:49

@Sealion: Sealion, must look like the the Lewisham dole office with all those out of work men hanging around, most with no prospects of ever getting a job here (we hope anyway).

• August 8, 2013 at 18:28

@Barnlion:Nice one Barnlion made me laugh. No wonder our newbies aren't fit yet they can't get on the facilities. haha

• August 8, 2013 at 18:15

Always rated him, he must be about 62 now!