Johnson: Yeovil won't be daunted by entering Lions' Den

© David Lloyd
© David Lloyd

YEOVIL boss Gary Johnson insists his side are not afraid of entering the Lions' Den ahead of their first-ever match in the Championship.

And Johnson, who guided the Glovers to promotion from League One via the play-offs last season, says all eyes will be on new Millwall manager Steve Lomas during Saturday's game.

"The pressure is not so much on us as it is on Millwall," Johnson said. "When there is a new manager that comes in, he brings in his own group of staff and players, so the fans will be sitting there, watching and judging because they're at home.

"It looks like there have been some decent signings there and the squad improved over the weeks. I am sure Steve feels he is starting with a group that can get results at this level.

"It might have been a baptism of fire if we hadn't just had two play-off semi-finals against Sheffield United and then a final at Wembley. That was pressure. I always love going to Millwall – the banter there is first class.

"I look forward to it; I turn up and get called all names under the sun, as well as 'farmer' and 'carrot cruncher' – but I'm more of a London boy than most of them! I just smile and enjoy it. It will be a good test for us early on – but we won't be daunted by it."

37 thoughts on “Johnson: Yeovil won't be daunted by entering Lions' Den

• August 2, 2013 at 12:49

who gives a f*** about Yeovil 2-0 to the Lions COYL

• August 2, 2013 at 13:01

Let us make what little hair he has stand up like Stevie Lomas's and make enough noise to really unnerve them get a few good hard tackles in, to welcome them to the Den and lets end up with all 3 points lads.

• August 2, 2013 at 13:29

It's gonna be a tight game, our first 11 have not had a lot of game time playing together and Yeovil are a settled squad coming up on the back of a high. I see a Lions win, but only narrowly.

• August 2, 2013 at 13:37

I don't think Yeovil will be any walk over not because they are any match for Millwall because they are not. But because Millwall may be a bit nervous or anxious to do well in fornt of a home crowd with high expectations. I hope there is no more instances of booing Dany N'Guessan if he plays that wont help.
    I wish I could go but have curtailed by other duties at home! I shall be biting my fingernails all afternoon. Good luck Millwall!

• August 2, 2013 at 13:38

You'll be more worried at 4.45 tomorrow I think.
    Not related, but marlon Deadwood has signed for Bristol City. Phew !

• August 2, 2013 at 13:54

anyone got any thoughts on our starting 11?

Id go with...

Forde
    Dunne
    Shittu
    Beevers
    Lowry
    Henry
    Chaplow
    Abdou
    Feeney
    Morisson
    Keogh

• August 2, 2013 at 14:01

@robprout: I'd take that team. Macdonald on the bench IF we need a goal in the last 30 minutes

• August 2, 2013 at 14:21

@Strood Lion: I would have thought McDonald would have been as well. A lot of expense to leave him getting splinters.

• August 2, 2013 at 14:38

@Sealion: sealion i agree but think he has a pelvic problem?

• August 2, 2013 at 14:48

@Strood Lion: Thanks Strood but does that mean we signed another expensive player when he was already crocked ?

• August 2, 2013 at 14:42

@robprout: excluding chaplow and morison thats the same team we had last year, cant really see how last year went so wrong, hopefully under a new manager we can get all of our key players firing again

• August 2, 2013 at 16:13

@robprout: Sorry but I would go for Bailey (Abdou), and Mcdonald (Keogh).

• August 2, 2013 at 17:02

@hants lion: agree with bailey but thought he wasnt fit?
        would just be interesting to see keogh up front with someone decent again as think he can potentially be as good as macdonald.

• August 2, 2013 at 17:02

agree with bailey but thought he wasnt fit?

• August 2, 2013 at 17:46

@robprout: looks like. Decent lineup, but I'd start bailey instead of jimmy if he is fit.

• August 2, 2013 at 14:23

I would think McDonald/Bailey will not be ready.Maybe get a run out on Tuesday.

• August 2, 2013 at 14:39

@Longfield Lion: I maybe a bit thick here and if I am I apologise.
      But have Bailey and McDonald been injured if not why are they not ready did they not know that the season started on the 3rd of August. I know that they may have been benched for some of last season but I can't see any reason other than injury for not being ready. I dare say they are drawing their wages already. So when can we expect to see our illustrious new additions and get what we are paying for ?

• August 2, 2013 at 21:39

@Sealion: the new lads have missed a lot of per season so not fully fit. I would start with them though and and change them when they get tired.
        Forde
        Smith
        Shittu
        Robinson
        Lowry
        Feeney
        Bailey
        Wright
        Martin
        Morison
        McDonald

A winning team

• August 2, 2013 at 14:31

Out of the 6 we've signed I only see Morison and Chaplolw starting! McDonald (been injured), Martin (been injured) Bailey (not fit enough yet). Think we'll have to break the Wall tradition and give them a few weeks to get our first choice team out until we start booing!!

• August 2, 2013 at 14:37

I think Martin might start and be replaced by Feeney depending how his injury holds up. agree that Bailey may not yet be fit enough, he is the kind o player that you need playing 90 minutes, not an impact player off the bench.

• August 2, 2013 at 14:44

GK Forde
    RB Dunne
    CB Shittu
    CB Beevers
    LB Lowrey
    RM Henry
    CM Chaplow
    CM Abdou
    LM Woolford
    ST Morison
    ST Keogh

If fit then Martin for Woolford, McDonald for Keogh and replace Chaplow and abdou for bailey and Trotter!

• August 2, 2013 at 15:06

@luke9566: Another KJ 11! So much for the winds of change (-:#

• August 2, 2013 at 15:10

@lion.ie: a lot of the new players aren't fully fit yet that's why and I don't know if feeney can play on left which is why I'd have Woolford LM

• August 2, 2013 at 15:06

Not forgetting Easter and N'Guessan I am sure they will be in the reckoning, Easter has been sharp. I hope Feeney starts he is mustard down the wings.

• August 2, 2013 at 15:12

@Peckhamlad: I'm trying to forget N'Guessan, but you 2nd chance charlies keep bringing him up...lol (-:~

• August 2, 2013 at 16:21

You will be. You... will... be.

• August 2, 2013 at 17:06

@lion.ie: I know what you mean about a kj 11 but remember when we had wood scoring goals we were in the top six. having a good goalscorer makes such a difference to the team.

• August 2, 2013 at 17:56

Lets start a chant shall we: "F*** OFF JOHNSON, F*** OFF JOHNSON!". More of a London boy than most of us. Not when I was born and raised on the old kent road!! MILLLLL COYL!!!!!

• August 2, 2013 at 19:47

I think they will fear the moment they walk out of the tunnel come tomorrow unfortunately i am unable attend as i am ion holiday (otherwise i would be there) but 2-0 or 3-0 lions i think COYL!!!!!!

• August 2, 2013 at 20:56

Can't wait for tomorrow. Bring on 3pm and let's see what happens, looking forward for the starting line up aswell

• August 2, 2013 at 20:57

Just joined the site after 3 months of reading all the banter absolutely love this site, bring on Yeovil tomorrow, can't wait to see the new team in action

• August 2, 2013 at 21:04

Article is very old though. He said this weeks ago.

• August 3, 2013 at 00:02

Easter has done well preseason but some of the passing between Morisson and Keogh was telepathic against the Spanish team. Gotta let that develop.

• August 4, 2013 at 15:12

Your brave you silly little man I am sure wee will all worry coming to you you brainless mug