Millwall chief wary of Financial Fair Play after budget rise

© Alan Stanford
© Alan Stanfordbery

CHAIRMAN John Berylson has warned that Millwall's summer spending could be a one-off if attendances at The Den do not improve this season.

Berylson has backed new manager Steve Lomas by allowing him to bring in six new players ahead of Saturday's big kick-off against Yeovil Town.

But the American says future investment in the squad will now be dictated by Financial Fair Play, a UEFA regulation that forces clubs to cut their losses – or face disciplinary action.

In the Championship, sides losing more than £4million a year leave themselves open to heavy fines or a transfer embargo, and so increasing matchday revenue is essential.

In the short-term, however, Berylson is happy for Lomas to keep spending.

"In terms of his budget, Steve has a number and he's a little bit above that number, but I'm feeling quite opportunistic about transfers," Berylson said.

"He can always crawl his way back to the number by getting some players out, but first I want to get our team finalised. There's pressure on Steve to get people out who he's not going to play – but not to trim the budget for the sake of it.

"We ought not have people sitting around doing nothing. That's not what we need or want. But there are no rules – we'll do what we have to do and clean the mess up later. In the meantime we're happy to make a bit of mess."

But Berylson is becoming increasingly wary of FFP and insists crowds will need to rise if the budget is to be kept at its current level.

"I've got FFP staring me right in the face because I've raised the budget again," he said.

"The truth of the matter is, if the fans don't come through for us the team will never be able to make a sustained effort at this level.

"I did my bit last year as well – maybe the fans did not realise that then, but when the accounts are released they will do. We went over our expected budget by about 15%. I hope the fans come to games because it's critical now – next year FFP kicks in much harder.

"If a majority continue to listen to games on the radio, we won't be able to have this team.

"That's not a threat – it's a fact. People think it's a threat every time I say it, but I've done the numbers. We need five-figure attendances every game and a lot of 15,000s.

"For a game like Barnsley, we really need 10,000 fans to show up. There was room to increase the budget but now I've sort of hit the ceiling. I can't go up any more because I have to worry about the consequences.

"If we can add an extra 2,000 to the gate each week, over the course of the season that will add about £1million to the budget – and that goes a long, long way. Every pound counts."

109 thoughts on “Millwall chief wary of Financial Fair Play after budget rise

• August 1, 2013 at 16:38

Well I've done my bit - bought my first season ticket and convinced my brother to do the same. It must be a hard job being Chairman, you need money from the fans for signings but the fans don't turn up because of the poor quality of football. I think JB has done the right thing in taking a risk and spending big this summer otherwise we'd continue our trend of low attendances. I'm confident we'll reach an average of 12-13,000 this year and even more will turn up if we are successful. Coyl.

• August 1, 2013 at 16:39

Fair comment bring your ass down the den #FillTheDen

• August 1, 2013 at 16:39

Two main points are apparent from this comment. One is that the home attendances need to average 12,000 per home game throughout the season even for the less attractive fixtures. Second is that a lot of the deadwood will have to shifted out on loan or hopefully lower division clubs might come in for some of them. Those players who don't even make the bench will soon have their agents looking for new clubs before the end of the transfer deadline.

• August 1, 2013 at 16:40

JB, Success will bring the fans back, but we do as I am sure you know have a very small demagraphic of where we can attract supporters from, also I am not trying to tel you how to suck eggs but shifting or releaseing some of the eccess bagage in the squad would also bring the out goings down.

As will the additional 50p on a bottle lager will help if you still sell the same amout at £4.00p a bottle for Carlsberg as the hike started last Saturday.

• August 1, 2013 at 17:32

@Barnlion: Not sure that I agree with you about the small demographic. If anything, I'd say the opposite: Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark are pretty big catchment areas and should be naturally ours. In truth, Lambeth certainly isn't. The club, under the current stewardship, has come a long way in recent years, but there have been a few missed opportunities. For example, Fulham run a kids' academy in Brixton. I could understand it if it were Palace, as they are about the same distance as us from Brixton, but Fulham are based miles away (OK they are PL but you get my point, I'm sure...)

• August 2, 2013 at 08:41

@brusselslion: Bon Jour brussels, Yes you are right they should be ours but Lambeth tend to be Chelsea and Arsenal (dont know why), Lewisham Millwall & some Anorak's. but I have been following us for 50+ years and the biggest home crowd I have been in was 47,000 in 1967.

We get the woodwork supporters when we get to a playoff or other wembely game but our normal home attendance is between 10,000 & 12,000 if we are lucky, I think the problem is our image and that all the kids see is the prem on the tv and they want to follow the teams that are on there. But football is about roots or should be you follow your dads team and so on.

Look at the anorak's they had loads come out of the woodwork when they were in the prem, mainly Spurs boys who wanted a ticket to see there side and a few other top sides, once they dropped the all drifted away.

I would love us to have 15,000 every home game and depending on the new manager and the players that may happen this season, but we are a special Club in that this club is woven into the community and even when you move away like myself and many more on news at den it never leaves you and also when you bring your kids up to follow the great Millwall, COYL!!!!

• August 2, 2013 at 11:22

@Barnlion: Morning Barnlion. I think that we are singing from the same hymn sheet. I agree with most of your comments. IMO overall the current owner has done a great job, but I'm a bit frustrated with our youth policy. I can understand why we can't compete with the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. in recruiting kids; we don't have the cache or the money to do so. However, much as I hate to admit it, we could take a leaf out of Palace's book. The number of kids who come through to their 1st team must mean that they are doing something right, so why not copy their methods?
          Hope that I don't fall into your category of woodwork supporters? (I didn't go to Wembly last season!). I try to get to a few matches each season however, I'm afraid that the 98 year old father keeps me busy when I'm in London. Also I'm not prepared to do a 7 hour round day trip on a regular basis. If that makes me plastic (rather than woodwork) then so be it.

• August 2, 2013 at 12:32

@brusselslion: brussels, see my respose to lion.ie regarding people who find it hard to get many games being plastic evry one cuts there cloth to suit, also judgeing by you login name could you not wanggel us a nice big EU subsidy so we can get a few more players before the window closes. Good on yeah we need all the support we can get evry pound through the turnstyles helps.

• August 2, 2013 at 11:34

@Barnlion: The 47.000 you mentioned was that the Spurs cup game that we drew and lost in the replay at WHL 1-0 Gilsean. I remember that well cor what an atmosphere I had to queue from 5.00AM till I think it was 1100AM to get a ticket. Those were the days.

• August 2, 2013 at 12:37

@Sealion: Yes sealion with the cockerel hanging from a gallows ahh those were the days, yeah the queue seemed to go for miles yeah started in the queue in the early hours with a couple of mates and one of our dads.

The old den was like a bear pit then and we should have gone through but they went on to beat Chelsea in the final but they had good players and we did end up getting the late great keith Weller and Posse.

• August 1, 2013 at 16:46

How many ST have we sold? I see that Bradford in League One have sold nearly 13,000.WOW.

• August 1, 2013 at 17:14

@Longfield Lion: Check the price of a Bradford ST - then you'll see why they are popular. Also a single team city which helps though God knows why anyone would want to live in that dump. Great rhetoric from John Berlyson and I take note of the veiled threat. Perhaps our chairman might like to look more closely at what the club does to attract more people in - and the options are simple - you go either for lapsed or new supporters or a mixture of both and the latter of course would be the best. It might help for a start if the club became more customer friendly and also tried to make available the huge chunk the seating they choose to keep shut - that in itself doesn't demonstrate to me any great desire to increase an attendance.

• August 1, 2013 at 16:53

I know that as a season ticket hoder it is easy for me to say, but please some of you plastic Millwall fans who turn up at Wembley!! It would be nice to see you at the Den from time to time come rain or shine!!!!

• August 1, 2013 at 17:22

@leemark:
      It's just not as easy for some of us to turn up. I don't live in the area any more, and 8 times out of ten, I'm working Saturdays. I manage about 5 games a season, and yeah, I did turn up for Wembley. Does that make me a plastic? Maybe, but have no doubt that if I could afford it, I'd be a ST holder in a heartbeat

• August 1, 2013 at 17:34

@leemark: I'll book my Ryanair season ticket now then you muppet. Some people have lives that move on outside of Millwall. But they are my club for life and I more than earned my right to a trip to Wembley many years ago. Thought all this plastic supporter bllx was dealt with in April. Get real.

• August 2, 2013 at 08:50

@lion.ie: Lion.ie Good on yeah, yes it is nice if you want and are able to go to all the home games but if you cant due to distance or work as often as others it does not detract from Millwall being your team.

• August 1, 2013 at 17:46

@leemark: I live 230 miles from the Den I don't hold a season ticket but I go to more games than most who give it the big'un on here unfortunately my daughter means more to me than football - if that makes me plastic then that's fine by me!!!

• August 1, 2013 at 22:35

@leemark: I also cannot go each week. I work shifts including Sats, and strangely as my name on here would suggest one of those in black, so Saturday afternoons are usually busy. I attend when I can, but have been coming to Millwall since I was 11, and have travelled all over the country with them. Does this make me any less of a fan as I can't commit to a season ticket, or can only attend 5-6 home games a season? I don't think so.

• August 2, 2013 at 07:55

@the ref: I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have supported the Lions since 1960. Throughout the 70's and 80's I went to every match, home or away. I now have a disabled wife and a disabled son to consider. which means getting to matches is difficult. But I do not consider myself any less of a fan because of it. The Lions are still a very big part of my life but my wife and son are an even bigger part.

• August 1, 2013 at 17:33

To me Berylson comes across as an arrogant dictator. It is expected that we have to be grateful to our chairman for saving us with their cash, Pathitis was the same. Pathitis is a celebrity thanks to us and has undoubtedly made more out of this then he ever put into Millwall. Berylson’s a business man and we are one of his businesses. He will make a profit out of us, in the end, one way or another.

I’d rather have the club in the fans hands and play in League 2. I’m envious of Portsmouth not Palace.

Ways to decrease attendances:
    1. Appoint an ex-West-Ham captain as manager against the wishes of many fans.
    2. Move long-term season ticket holders from East upper blocks 13 and 14 without consultation and after fans have already purchased season tickets in that area. Then effectively ban them from the area for a family enclosure that will be half empty or full of freebies from the local community wearing Arsenal and Chelsea shirts.
    3. Continue to issue banning orders like there’s no tomorrow.
    4. Ensure stewarding is aggressive and fans are treated with suspicion.
    5. Actively promote a grass line making it even more difficult to generate a decent atmosphere.
    6. Let the Old Bill dictate fixture dates and kick-off times and never stand up for the fans.

Most Millwall fans that I know attend games to see friends and for the atmosphere, both cheering on the team and intimidating the away team; the quality of the football has never come into it. The new breed of fan the club are so desperate to recruit won’t show up when we’re back in League 1 and the fans that traditionally see the club through such times may have been too poorly treated in the good times (Championship football) to help the club once again.

Berylson and Lomas out.

• August 1, 2013 at 17:38

@LomasOut: This is possibly the best post I've ever seen on here. Wouldn't agree totally with it as I think Berylson's a good chairman (though I do take your point) and despite being old school not bothered about the Lomas West Ham connection and think he may or may not turn out to be a great manager. Only time will tell. Otherwise well said Lomasout and happy to see real Millwall fans still live.

• August 1, 2013 at 17:41

@LomasOut: think you mean Theo Paphitis and personally I truly believe JB is the best thing that's happened to millwall in 30 years if he went we wouldn't have a club! So yeah I'm grateful to the man!!

• August 1, 2013 at 17:41

@LomasOut: This post is a wind up, right?

• August 1, 2013 at 17:49

@LomasOut: one word sums this post up.... GENIUS

Thought of another one also....... NUMPTY!

I look forward to hearing your boos on Saturday.

• August 1, 2013 at 18:08

@LomasOut: I can't be assed arguing your points as to me most of them are b******* imo but if thats what you think fine. I agree about the seating arrangements gripe but thats all. I would like to know who you would have had as manager. I can't think of anyone myself who would have done a better job. If you really want to you can always find an excuse for hating someone so get over it. We are lucky to have had Theo and we are very lucky to have JB IMO.

• August 1, 2013 at 20:30

@LomasOut:
      Im sorry I don't with all your points, you're entitled to your opinion, but to say SL out at this poubt is a proper heads gone!!! Lets get behind the team and back the manager!

• August 1, 2013 at 17:35

Says it all about this board when someone decides anyone without a Season Ticket is a plastic and gets 5 likes and a bloke defending his position as a reply gets none. Well said Rook and some of these Johnniecomelatelys need to get their heads out from their arses.

• August 1, 2013 at 18:41

@Old_Les: I am not quite sure how OLD old Les is but f*** me he is a bit of an old tart isn't he. He likes to throw the Nob comment around willy nilly (no pun intended) and he likes to sling insults to anybody who dares not to agree with him. I have already kindly sent him a Virtual shot of Horlicks and a Virtual Werthers Original...... I will follow that up with a slap of Virtual TCP.

• August 1, 2013 at 17:37

Been going to watch the lions for nearly 40 years now & just bought me & my two boys our first season tickets.
    I used to just pick & choose which games I went to but because JB has shown that he is prepared to put his money in & now showing the ambition that we all crave then it's now down to us to back him & the team.
    COME ON YOU WALL 🙂

• August 1, 2013 at 17:46

We as a club are always going to struggle to attract fans. We seem to struggle more than most to keep our generational fans who have moved far and wide around the country and beyond. The question we have to ask is why? Obviously most fans were born and brought up in the south east london area or have a family member that has. They now live far and wide and are not travelling back to The Den.

We do not have good transport links and the walk from either is pretty diabolical. There is certainly not enough safe parking for people to drive, The walkways to the ground are pathetic and at night are barely lit.

We have very few places to drink before and after the game as both the council and the club have closed a load of the pubs.

The club does nothing in terms of laying on buses/coaches from Essex and Kent to bring our fans in as with other clubs.

These are all things that need to be addressed.

Then we have the local community who the club quite rightly try to get into the ground as they are the lifeblood of the future. To many from ethnic backgrounds believe they will be subjected to racist abuse because of recent and past media attacks on the club. We have a tiny and I mean tiny percentage of fans who display this kind behaviour and the club are weeding them out. I don't care if you hold rascist beliefs but keep them to yourself in the same way I don't want someone preaching to me about religion. I don't believe we are a racist club in fact quite the opposite and so do all fans I sit with.

We are unusual I have many times heard people describe them self as being Millwall, we are not just a football club but a family. Ultimately success on the pitch and gates will increase if we are playing well.

• August 1, 2013 at 17:49

All we need is 5% more of the famous 45k at Wembley week in week out and we'll achieve the extra 2000 . We need real fans who sit on the terraces , not their armchairs watching Gillette Soccer Saturday...........

• August 1, 2013 at 18:11

Makes me laugh..the children on this site banging on about plastic fans etc. You wait until you have a family and financial responsibilities then maybe a season ticket might not be that high on the must-have list.

• August 1, 2013 at 18:15

@lionking: don't think that type of person should be trusted with kids!

• August 1, 2013 at 18:14

I think our current chairman has showed fantastic support to a new manager, who to be fair has showed some balls to even take the job. After our finishing position last year the chairman could have walked but he has invested at a time when the so called big teams in our league have been letting players go. If he wants bigger attendances I think he has done his bit. Well done j b

• August 1, 2013 at 19:20

The chairman has done well for Millwall, but sometimes a minority of supporters have themselves to blame through their moaning, abuse, bad language and selfish behaviour. I sat in the Barry kitchener stand Saturday and one..yes one guy stood up swearing loudly at the Spainsh players. There were women and children around me who did not want to hear that. It puts folk off and they might not attend again.

However the chairman has to realise that many people are struggling financially during these difficult times and find it hard to find the money to go to games. It costs me a pensioner £50-£70 to get to the den. This government are squeezing the pips out of us. There is also the question of uneven distribution of money.why should relegated teams from the Premiership get over £20 million each?
    I agree with somone who said we need to improve the youth policy it is the future and more needs to be done.
    Millwall has always had a decent strong base support, mostly good people who are fair minded, tolerant and go to the ends of the earth to back the club. If the club were to reduce the prices for the less attractive games it may draw in a bigger gate.
    I will do my best to get to as many games as I can and for once I hope Millwall have a great season.

• August 1, 2013 at 19:34

dragonflymfc - Your post more or less sums me up. I was born in Peckham and started going to the Old Den in 1953. I moved around London and Croydon a bit until 1980 but still managed to attend all the Home games each season. I then moved to Hastings in East Sussex but I still worked in London and had a Rail Season Ticket so travelled up on Saturdays.I was able to watch midweek matches as well.. I retired in 2009 but made the journey up by train to watch the home games. In 2001 I had to stop doing that because of ill health. I am however Millwall through and through and post regularly on this site and keep up to date with everything happening in connection with the club. There must be many others who, although still supporters of the club, are unable to attend games anymore for one reason or another.

• August 1, 2013 at 19:57

The blinding stupidity of LomasOut and others like him on here, makes me despair. JB is not a dictator, he is simply spelling out the harsh truth facing clubs like Millwall as they try and punch above their weight in a League littered with clubs who have bigger crowds, bigger sponsorship deals and parachute payments.
    Instead of blaming JB and SL, I'd say people like LomasOut are probably more responsible for driving other people away from the club!!!

• August 1, 2013 at 20:04

@Lonz: Agree there Lonz, he came up with all the negatives, including slagging off past and present chairmen and the new manager but hasn't been able to come up with who he would have liked in running the club. Its easy to run people down but having a positive input takes a bit of thought, say no more !!

• August 1, 2013 at 20:14

@Sealion:
        Slaughtering JB when he's dug deep into his own pocket to keep the club afloat is madness. Do these people really think that if JB packed his bags tomorrow there'd be a queue of multi-millionaire businessmen waiting to take his place?
        As for envying Portsmouth rather than Palace, words fail me!!! Be careful what you wish for, if JB gets fed-up we might end up in League Two with no money, no players and not a cat in hell's chance of clawing our way back to the Championship!!!!

• August 1, 2013 at 20:20

@Lonz: Yeh I don't know what planet they live on. As for Portsmouth great model to aspire to. I feel sorry for their supporters as like us they are very passionate about their club. I should know as I live amongst them. COYL.

• August 1, 2013 at 22:42

@Lonz: Cannot agree with you more, the club needs an ambitious but realistic chairman, it is not easy attracting talent to Millwall, big strides have been made but a lot more needs to be done. I would like to hear what positive suggestions the detractors would have Millwall do. I know for a fact that filthy language from some supporters have put off the parents of potential youngsters signing for our club in the past. I love the humour and banter in the crowd at Millwall, it is like no other club but unfortunately these days elements in the press cannot wait to tarnish Millwall's name. If the club wants to progress it needs to attract sponsors and most importantly supporters, like the 20,000 I used to see when Weller,Possee and Bridges were banging in the goals. The crowd was worth a goal lead from the start. The club needs to think of ways of bringing in more support, perhaps after attending 6 matches you get one free ticket for the next match or something in that vein. Maybe the commercial club should canvas for ideas. Get behind Millwall.

• August 2, 2013 at 08:09

@Peckhamlad: Weller, Possee and Bridges! Goal of the Season on the Big Match. Was it 59 home league games without defeat? We need JB and SL if we want to see that again

• August 1, 2013 at 20:04

it is a lot of money to fork out when you pick and choose games, but I agree with
    JB.
    I pains me to see so many empty seats at the
    den. I think this year we will be competitive
    While we are on this forum we tend to preach
    to the converted
    There should be more special consessions during the season. You can end up spending over £100 if you bring 2 kids with you for 90mins of football. How can people afford that in an area which is high in unemployment and poverty. So consessions are the key. The food and drink prices are a joke. That Pie And Pint deal is stiil robbing us. JB like I said I agree we need more through the turnstiles but please remember where we come from and dont go the way of these big corporate clubs where football has lost its idendity and out of touch with their fans.
    Im a Season Ticket Holder, just earning enough money per year to pay for my ticket monthly. Done so for the last 10 years...League 1 and all.

• August 2, 2013 at 13:07

@ozeyn117: ozeyn117, Last season it was not always football that we played for 90 minutes, also agree with the converted sentence.

• August 1, 2013 at 20:13

Have been a millwall fan 43 yrs. I come from a family of millwall supporters stretching back over 6 generations.My 14 yr old son who was born out of the area is also a die hard fan. Unfortunately all the family members have sadly died or moved away from the area (Lambeth Walk). Getting up to The Den is expensive for me and my family and we have to choose what games we go to. I have also had my income slashed by upto 60% over the last 5yrs. Millwall is in my blood but paying my mortgage is and always will be more of a priority than going to The Den .It really pisses me off when people s*** off the so called "plastic " supporters. Millwall has been part of my families history for donkies years and will continue to be so,all be it through "soccer Saturday" or the ocassional trip up to The Den. If this makes me and my family "plastic" fans so be it.

• August 1, 2013 at 20:23

@SE11 Lion: No mate you're not plastic - it's just that we have this new breed of fan, many of whom seem to infest this board, that have no perception or consideration of what life and finances are like for many people - so at every chance the pathetic little know nothings like to hurl silly names at people about whom they know nothing. You put your family first a big up to you for that - a die hard working class principle typical of real Millwall fans that the new age idiots on here will never understand. I hope your income improves in the very neat future and you and yours can come to games as regularly as you wish. In the meantime ignore the t******.

• August 2, 2013 at 10:29

@lion.ie: I agree les well said

• August 1, 2013 at 22:38

@Old_Les: are you really old?
        In one of your posts you said "big up to you for that". Doesn't seem like a phrase that an old person would use.

• August 1, 2013 at 23:08

@benzo: Why shouldn't I use that expression you stupid p****. Just because someone gets older does that me we have to curl up and die and not be in touch. I know enough about modern youth speak to use some and the rest of your "modern" lingo makes me realise that most of you are uneducated idiots. You're probably one of those fools just out of a Mickey Mouse university with a Mickey Mouse degree who thinks you know it all. I'm 68 next Monday so perhaps you post me up a birthday card just to show a bit of respect to your elders and betters for a change. Clever d***.

• August 2, 2013 at 08:17

@Old_Les: The modern supporter will never know what it was like to stand on the terraces at Cold Blow Lane in the p****** rain and feel privileged to do so. Must feel sorry for them to have never known that feeling. Keep going Les,the likes of you are the heart of Millwall.

• August 1, 2013 at 20:19

The harsh truth being you want Championship or Premiership football and are prepared to take a foreign businessman telling you what you should be doing in order to achieve it?

As I intimated I would rather play in League 2 and have the club in the hands of the fans then endlessly have people running the club that I and most other fans have nothing in common with at all.

Talking of despair; I despair of people moaning about swearing; they can have my seat in Block 14 now. We are turning into Charlton if swearing is upsetting some of our fans.

Some fans raving about what a great job Lomas has done and a ball’s not even been kicked yet.

Cheers to those that supported my original post.

• August 1, 2013 at 20:33

@LomasOut: I agree with what you say about swearing complaints. The way to stop these are to have a family section where only people with children can sit. That will eradicate the charltoness of the club. I don't think there can be much bad said about lomas, he seems to be a proactive bloke, trying to get fresh blood in. As for the west ham link I was as disgusted as much as many of the others but as soon as he wears his millwall track suit I will support him, we could have Kim Jong il (or whatever his name is) in charge and as soon as he wears my clubs/our clubs colours I would support him. It's what millwall do, if someone shows complete commitment we support him.

• August 1, 2013 at 21:09

@LomasOut: forget hes foreign mate hes the first chairman to stand up and say 'get down the den" he's put faith in us its our time to do our bit... hes just speaking the truth and i like that...

as for swearing I'm not into drunks swearing and slurring around my kids staggering about that we sometimes get.. very rarely though.. but normal fellas getting into the game i dont mind as i do it myself.. but now and then the odd wrongun does turn up stinking of tennants swearing and hurling filthy abuse all game get my back up..

• August 1, 2013 at 23:42

@LomasOut: I'm with you on the swearing, it's part of SE Lindon language and life. However, it"s some of the other behaviour that goes in that needs to be kcked out of our club. I said many weeks ago that I was glad I difn't

• August 1, 2013 at 23:47

@lion.ie: fkin mobile! ...glad I didn't bring my 6yo to Wembley with all the coked up morons about. An absolute disgrace to the human race not just Millwall and if these types never darken the clubs door again it can only be a good thing.

• August 2, 2013 at 10:20

@lion.ie: I have nothing against swearing at a football match, it's a way of venting your emotions and a lot of the games i've been to would have made a Vicar swear. But have a look round and if there are women or children close by does it really hurt to moderate it ? Surely its only common decency. Put yourself in their position would you really want to be sitting next to some foul mouthed yob with your wife, girlfriend or kids for 90mins or more ?

• August 2, 2013 at 11:52

@Sealion: Foul mouthed yob no, but somebody swearing through genuine emotion of supporting the 'Wall, not at all, I'd be a hypocrite if I said otherwise. As other posters have said, my kids know the difference between hearing words and repeating them. There were no such thing as family enclosures when I first started going as a 5/6yo and I was only eight when I was at the Ipswich game in 78. I didn't turn into a foul mouthed yob/hooligan, although I have a slightly foul SE London mouth when called for. (-:~

• August 1, 2013 at 20:58

Half our support is in Bellmarsh lol , sorry JB crowds wont go up for at least four years (three with good behaviour ) .

• August 1, 2013 at 21:02

I am one of the "plastic fans" i choose games i have time to watch and most tuesday evenings its about families as kids have school the next day... but... they way things seem to have turned around in the pst few weeks and the ambition shown deserves my pound note weather i can make it or not...

1 season ticket purchased for me and kids
    2 kits purchased for kids and shirt for me
    3 i will also buy a programme for every game i go to just to do my bit

people might say i should of done that years ago but my boy has just got to the age where he loves football and with the ambition we are showing its perfect time to start going week in week out again...

everyone get down the den and get your pound notes out and chip in for the cause, if we sit on here moaning about it the Financial Fair Play will kick in and our hands will be tied to 1500 quid a week wage caps and league 1 football, JB seems to be genuine if he makes a few quid but ups our gates and brings better players and SL brings results, so what? I cant stand fans who expect chairmen to just p*** money on a club and get fook all back? its unrealistic, these fellas have spent millions so lets show them what we got and they will spend more or even better attract even bigger investment, if we should sell the den out week in week out (we have the fan base).

Good luck to the team, SL and the Board finally you have put your money where your mouth is and its our time to do our bit, bring a friend every week and make as much noise as we can!!!!!

PS... i might get my misses to sew a "millwall ultras" banner im starting to sound all palarse... or better still we shoud have weekly meetings to discuss and practise new songs hahahahaha

• August 1, 2013 at 21:38

I still can not believe that swearing is an issue at football, I hear a lot that children shouldn't hear swearing, I'm wondering where these children go to school or that they are never exposed to swearing. I take my 3 children (12,11,2) to every home game and they know that Millwall dad is slightly different to normal dad. I don't swear at home but at football I believe it's different, it's a stadium that should be filled with passion. I explain to my children what to expect and that they are not repeat the swear words that they here at football or anywhere else for that matter.

One of my first experiences at football was standing at the front of the Cold Blow Lane at around 6 years old hearing an old guy behind me swear and I in my wisdom shouted the same word at the top of my voice only to be slapped around the back of the head by the same guy who shouted the swear word in the first place. That memory has always stayed with me and its a case of do as I say not as I do. Just for the record I'm not condoning hitting other peoples kids.

• August 1, 2013 at 22:52

@dragonflymfc: spot on. Both my kids come to the Den with me, one is 8 and the other 14 (he could probably teach me some swear words!) but they both know what they hear said at football, stays at football. Having said that there is banter, intimidation and then there is mindless abuse. The latter has no place in my view. The humour from the terraces at the old Den is what made me fall in love with the club, but society is changing, and as a support we just evolve as well, not to Charlton standards, but to know where the new line is, and to only bend it so often!
      JB has saved this club, and quite frankly I couldn't care where he is from, he has been prudent with the clubs money, whereas we could have spent loads and gone bust. In my view we are one of the best run clubs in the country, but we have lots to learn commercially.

• August 2, 2013 at 01:24

@the ref: banter, the usual, f***, w*****, s***, are fine... but if someones starts screaming the "c" word in front of my kids and misses or any kids in that fact is low life vermin... no excuses for that language in front of kids.... the wife beater mentality has moved on but anyone defending using the "c" word in front of little girls and boys is a wrongun....

• August 1, 2013 at 23:06

shorey not signing we over wage budget, we havent got rid of no one to spare up some dough so not likely to happen. need to get rid of the deadwood shame as i think lb and rb the posistions we need to improve on. dunney has no competition at all and lowry only misses games thru discipline

• August 1, 2013 at 23:26

JB is a venture capitalist, and as such is in this to make money ,of course he Millwall to be succesful but he is not going to throw money down the drain. Why cant the gate go up to 15000 , and say because every one has moved away ,is b******* put a contender out there and they will come

• August 1, 2013 at 23:35

Right, I've followed these posts and tried to keep out ! ( I do notice that some regular names have not surfaced tonight). However, I know I'm right in pointing out that there was a certain 'baby boom generation' from the fifties. Those folk that have gone AWOL could well be the same ones that helped to create 19,000+ home gates in the seventies. We have seen some truly S**T times since and until now there seemed no hope. This US chappie is a shrewd business man, not a charity ! So he has a plan, whether that is solely land development, running a successful MFC, or both, we have to wait and see. As for this so called 'plastic fans' tripe who the f*ck came up with that ? Just because some of us decided to take time out from the constant false dawns and disappointment and started living a life, which unfortunately probably included spawning some of you dickheads ! I am 60 in Feb with no work and no hope of any, but 'unshackled' I reckon I will be joining a long queue for the concessionary season ticket ! There's only one Billy Neil.
    PS..... Could Dragonfly be a plant ???????????????????????????

• August 1, 2013 at 23:48

I've been called a lot worse, I will take plant all day long.

• August 2, 2013 at 07:32

LOMAS OUT U R A C***. IM SURE SOME OF YOU ON HERE WANT OUR CLUB TO FAIL. WE HAVE A GOOD BLOKE RUNNING OUR CLUB AT THE MOMENT. HE PUT HIS MONEY IN AND SAVED US .TO SAY U WANT US TO BE LIKE PORTSMOUTH. U GOTTA BE A C***.

• August 2, 2013 at 08:54

We have all expressed our opinions on this one, lets draw a line under it and move on to the important business of getting behind the team tomorrow.

Let's be honest with each other none of us have the ability to see into the future (maybe apart from Les who has been around to master the art).

Let's hope it goes well.

• August 2, 2013 at 09:32

I think it shows what we are up against with some teams in this League when Leeds have said they have already sold over 30,000 tickets for tomorrows game against Brighton!!! Oh for the days at the `Old Den`when we were capable of getting that sort of gate.

• August 2, 2013 at 10:01

@Longfield Lion: Sadly its because people are sh@t scared of going to the Den its the mentality of the general public. What doesn't help is the idiots at Wembley advertising the clubs image across the world.
      By the way I am a season ticket holder!

• August 2, 2013 at 10:17

@bertie:
        You mean the same idiots that were just caught up in the middle of it sticking up for their kids and families?You mean the same idiots that if you got into trouble somehow at a home or away game that would stick up for you?Oh right them idiots. Start learning some facts before you start tarring people with the same brush.

• August 2, 2013 at 10:38

@stevie16: Tell me the facts what happened at Wembley? and then I'll shut up.

• August 2, 2013 at 10:52

@bertie: has the Wembley bit not been done to death already?

• August 2, 2013 at 09:57

Although I said let's move on I would like to add that the situation with South Bermondsey station MUST prevent fans from coming to games (especially midweek games). We cater for the away fans, granted its down to police advice, but the holding back of home fans in order to get the away fans out of London ASAP really needs to stop. It stops me coming to midweek games as it leaves it to close for me to get to Marylebone for my last train, this has a knock on effect with regards to me getting a ST due to the amount of games that are moved to Midweek. I would imagine this is an issue for others too??

• August 2, 2013 at 10:45

I follow millwall and have had for over 10 years... From sydney in Australia. I'm a dinki di Aussie with Aussie folks and grandparents too. I've been to the UK once when I studied in Hertfordshire for 6 months and attended 3 home games, the first of which I got to sit in the media box because I had no money (student) and my Dad contacted the club and organised it as a surprise for me becausei was skint!!

I love this club and am on this site every day hankering for news about millwall. I watch every game when it's on tv here (not often obviously) and tell everyone loudly that I follow millwall. I feel a connection to this club even more so than any other sporting team out there, and I'm bloody 24 hours plane trip away.

I'll never forget sitting in that press box as 22 year old student. what other club would do that??

Am I a plastic fan too???

As for JB give the bloke a break we'd be f**ked without him.

Oh btw lads 3/303... Good Thanks!!!!! Come on Clarkey

• August 2, 2013 at 11:20

@millwalldownunder: I was with you there until the last bit haha but it's nice to see them trying to make a game of it, pity that it will be a draw. lol

• August 2, 2013 at 12:08

@JonnyBanks: We were talking about this and it is the transport situation full stop that must stop a lot of fans coming regular.New Cross and New Cross Gate are a fair walk from the ground.Parking is limited and is hardly secure or safe at times.Could the Club do more,regards say Coaches?Are Charlton still doing this from Kent.If so,how many supporters do they bring to their Home games?So what I am saying if you are NOT a regular,why would you make the effort, regarding transport,to come to games.

• August 2, 2013 at 10:13

I agree with digger wall about lomas out, i might have used a different vernacular but my feelings are more or less identical, the fact that you have called yourself lomasout before a ball has been kicked in anger says it all , im sure you'll be cheering on Yeovil tomorrow and your dream will be a step closer. Try supporting the club instead of knocking it, you might enjoy it .

• August 2, 2013 at 11:34

@thecolumbusblock:
      It goes a lot deeper than that though. I'm not saying Lomasout is right on everything, but the majority of what he says is spot on. The rivalry between us and West Ham goes back years and for some hardcore old school supporters it is a difficult pill to swallow that and ex West Ham captain is our manager now. Like i say i'm not saying he is right on everything, but i can understand why he is angry that Lomas is our manager, and if you understood the history of this club, you would to. You can also say the same about the new support we have. We haven't even kicked a ball yet and there's people (especially on this forum) that have already got us down as promotion contenders and Lomas is already the messiah.

• August 2, 2013 at 11:57

@stevie16: If you look at the history of this club we have had many ex WHU players all giving good loyal service in the shirt. I wonder if these same anti West Ham folk were cheering when We beat Germany in 1966 courtesy of a Hurst hat trick and Moore lifting the World Cup? Perhaps selective memory loss ! or weren't born then.
        I can understand rivalry and even hatred between fans, there have been some terrible incidents between us and them but wtf has it got to do with the players, they are only doing their job and will usually give their all for who ever employs them. Personally I am sick and tired of all this b******* about ex WHU players. Its time people got a life . Perhaps in future before MFC employ or sign anyone they should consult the fans representative just in case anyone has an objection after all we don't want to upset the delicate little souls do we ?

• August 2, 2013 at 12:27

@Sealion:
          I have and i never disputed that in the slightest, i just said that i understand why some fans have the hump about an ex West Ham captain being our new manager. And they do have somebody who consults the fans, and he is the fan of the board (FOTB) where he sits in meetings and tells the board the fans feelings on certain situations. Why are you bashing our fans base who have deep feelings when it comes to West Ham and our rivalry between them?Just because you don't agree with their principles doesn't mean your right does it?Some of these fans may well have been caught up in these terrible incidents your talking about and have scars to show for it. i certainly wasn't born in 1966 and i'm a young bloke, i still understand our fan base though.

• August 2, 2013 at 11:23

Unfortunately there are still far too many people who obviously want the club to fail. Wether it be by acting like a foul mouthed thug in front of women and kids or just attending matches to have a tear up or equally as bad , calling for Lomas's head before a balls been kicked. I'm not saying we should turn into charlton but c'mon lets be sensible. The media have always been looking for an excuse to slaughter us and always will. In order for the club to move onwards and upwards we need to, like I say,be sensible. Be passionate be noisy but be aware that we are always being watched. As for wanting Lomas out, well, it just feeds that stereotype of a "brainless idiot" the whole country has of us , I mean, a ball ain't even been kicked yet,he may be quality.

• August 2, 2013 at 12:31

@SE11 Lion:
      Can you give me a list of things i can and can't say?I don't want to upset anybody saying nasty mean things. So we are surposed to go somewhere we enjoy ourselves all the while reminding ourselves we are being watched?Sounds an enjoyable match day experience as our new commercial director puts it.

• August 2, 2013 at 13:24

It's laughable to say that SL has been a success or failure, and to call for his head is premature to say the least. I think sometimes comments get posted just to generate a reaction....I think I just fell for it. What an idiot I am.

• August 2, 2013 at 13:47

@glyngo: I think this site is becoming a victim of its own success Glyngo. The proper banter has gone.

• August 2, 2013 at 13:28

Stevie16 ...if you're comfortable swearing and cursing in front of young kids and women well it shows what kind of person you are! Maybe you ain't old enough to have experienced the hatred from the media that we have received over the years.I yearn for the old days when the den was a fearful place to come and visit but I believe there's other ways of going about it other than acting like an animal.Perhaps you're the type of person who thinks that it's big and clever to take a bird down the den and give it the big-un in front of her! Maybe I've got it wrong! All I want is to take my wife and son to the den and come home with 3 points and not to think twice about going again cause some loud mouthed yob feels the need to show off!

• August 2, 2013 at 13:37

@SE11 Lion:
      You have pretty much everything wrong then. Last year against Peterbrough we went 4-1 down and i loudly told Trotter that he was a lazy c***. There were kids in front but i apologised and all was forgiven. So that being said, does letting my emotions get the better of me by shouting that out make me an animal?I now sit where there are no kids so i don't say it in front of them and can say what i like (hopefully but seems like we are becoming Charlton).

Take a bird down The Den, are you mad?Its the only place i can go without getting hassled by one of them moaning at me, it seems like some of the fans are making up for that now though.

• August 2, 2013 at 13:39

Families always used to go to the Den, my first game was as a 6 year old in the late 70's, and no one should feel that the Den is not a welcoming place for their family. Family areas area good idea if handled correctly, and arguably the club did not handle that well this year. What we are seeing here is the changing face of football and Millwall is evolving into a modern football club. There will be people that dread that change, but it will happen nonetheless. Sorry folks, that's life and you adapt or get left behind.@SE11 Lion:

• August 2, 2013 at 13:36

Millwall support is much the same as it has always been and I'm speaking from over 50 years of going. There's bad language some it very rich and there's humour of all kinds, there's some bad behaviour, a little bit of drunkenness and the occasional punch up. With most they know where to draw the line on language and behaviour especially where women and children are concerned. Those of us (which is most) with a grain of common sense and core working class values told our children that the language they heard at football stayed at football and wasn't for the home, your Mum or the classroom. F*** and c*** has always been heard all over the playground whether you like it or not - was when I was a boy and is now - it's what happens with kids at school much like playing conkers and pinching apples. Not too much wrong with the majority of our supporters, there's a few idiots as you will find anywhere it's just that ours are given maximum publicity by the poisonous media. Of far more concern to me is the creeping rise of the self righteous sycophantic happy clappy all too ready to condemn our own supporters out of hand - many specimens of this slimy creature can be found on this board. I recall one even wanted pictures of the Wembley "villains" on the big screen at the Den so they could be grassed up. I still feel sickened by that. The club themselves don't help much with their often customer unfriendly treatment of people who pay good money and travel long distances to give their loyal and often sorely tested support. I hope the ambition and desire that appears to have been shown in recent signings can signal a better treatment from the club lackeys (and the coppers) when we attend games.

• August 2, 2013 at 13:45

I agree with most of your comments Les, we do get singled out and in general I don't think we are any worse than any other club in the league. The trouble is that there is an element of people that don't actually follow Millwall and only come to games when we are playing teams that bring acrew with them, they don't care about how the game goes or what happens to the club after they have left. I would like those poeple to take a long run of a short pier as thhey add nothing to the atmosphere at the Den or the wellbeing of the club. Gotta say as well, I agree with many of the earlier posts about it being possible to be a dedicated fan without a season ticket, anyone wiith a family has to put the family first, that is good working class values in action!@Old_Les:

• August 2, 2013 at 13:55

@Old_Les: Just a point about the 'poisonous media' Les. I'd be happier bringing my kids to Millwall, warts and all, than to over expose them to things like Sky News, The Sun, The Star, The Mail e.t.c. and those fkin Disney channels.

• August 2, 2013 at 14:25

@lion.ie: I quite like Disney - much more believable than the Sun

• August 2, 2013 at 15:09

@Old_Les: Ha Ha, you're not wrong, but Disney IS pure evil.

• August 2, 2013 at 17:05

Don’t mind people slagging me or calling me names etc. that’s up to them, but it’s interesting that they choose to respond to somebody that disagrees with them in such a way. If my opinion irritates you fine, but why do you care so very much what some stranger on the internet thinks?! I find it really strange.

I will be supporting Millwall on Saturday. The relationship between Millwall and I is the longest standing relationship in my life aside from my parents. I love the club. The club being the fans you see week in week out and the ones that make you laugh with their wit and the things they shout.

The players, manager, chairman, kits, badges, songs, location, ground, where you sit in a ground, heroes and villains all change over time, but the fans don’t. The fans are what made Millwall special. Unique. One day Berylson and Lomas will be gone no matter how good they are or you think they are. Unfortunately for those that think I’m ****, being a fan, I intend to still be there... until I'm grassed on for swearing that is.

• August 2, 2013 at 17:16

@LomasOut: There's a few on here that might grass you up mate so be careful. Another good post by the way

• August 2, 2013 at 17:38

@Old_Les: Cheers! Yours was spot on as well. Sounds like we're on the same page in terms of many of our views. I know loads of people down Millwall that feel the same way, I don't think we're in the minority yet regardless of how web forums make it look. Some seem to yearn for a toned down Millwall, but there's no such thing to me. It's either full on passionate Millwall or it's not Millwall it's just another boring football club with nothing about them.

• August 2, 2013 at 17:46

@LomasOut: Last bastion of working class culture. Funny thing is lots of those who claim to be all for the working classes (newspapers national and local a perfect example) are those trying their hardest to put us down. We'll survive

• August 2, 2013 at 21:43

Les i hate to cast aspersions but u appear to have replied to old lomasout 3 times within 5 minutes of him posting ? Anyway chaps lets concentrate on the job at hand which is supporting our much maligned great club.

• August 2, 2013 at 22:51

@thecolumbusblock: So what. Is there a law against it? You're an even bigger waste of space because all you can do is "cast aspersions" and use silly text speak. Come back when you've mastered written English.

• August 3, 2013 at 09:13