Lomas satisfied by Rayo win but sees room for improvement

© Brian Tonks
© Brian Tonks

STEVE Lomas was satisfied with Millwall's 1-0 win over Rayo Vallecano but sees room for improvement ahead of next weekend's season-opener against Yeovil.

The Lions edged past the La Liga side courtesy of Steve Morison's second-half penalty at The Den on Saturday in what was Paul Robinson's testimonial match.

But Lomas says his side still have plenty to work on ahead of the new campaign.

He said: "It was pretty much what I expected. They had a lot of possession so we had to be disciplined, organised and compact and I thought we did that very well. Towards the end Rayo probably ran out of ideas.

"I thought we could have been a bit better with the ball. As a manager you're always looking for the team to improve but the pitch was a typical pre-season pitch – it was very slow, so it's hard to run with it and weight a pass.

"We could have been more clinical in the first half as well when we had a few early chances – and but for a few loose final passes, we would have had more shots on goal.

"Overall it was good but we're not getting carried away – it's just another step on the ladder towards the Yeovil game."

Millwall were without summer signings Scott McDonald, Lee Martin and Nicky Bailey and Lomas is unsure whether the trio will be fit to face the Glovers.

"That's a tough one to answer because they've all come in at various stages," he said. "Lee came in earlier but got a knock on his knee against Crawley and has had to miss two weeks of training.

"Nicky has come in late and hasn't had a club, so he's a little bit behind. Scott jarred his hip in training – he felt okay on Saturday morning but we didn't want to take any risks with him.

"We'll analyse those three along the way. When you start pushing players you can get yourself into trouble. Getting fit is a natural progression and we have to be realistic."

Dany N'Guessan, who fell out with ex-boss Kenny Jackett, received a mixed reception from the crowd when he was brought on in the second-half but Lomas is keen for the fans to give the attacker a clean slate.

"Dany has hardly missed a training session," Lomas said. "Millwall fans know football and when they see a player giving their all for the team, they're willing to back him.

"Things can change at clubs – people can be out of the picture and then suddenly come in and do well. You hope the fans will give him a chance.

"There's always a scapegoat at a club and sometimes it's a little unjust. A fit Dany N'Guessan can be a handful in the Championship."

54 thoughts on “Lomas satisfied by Rayo win but sees room for improvement

• July 27, 2013 at 19:53

A respectful DNG would be an even bigger handful in the Championship!

• July 27, 2013 at 19:55

I think we were rather unfair on Dany, he came on and linked up very well with Easter...I think we all should give him a clean slate as I still blame Kenny Jackett. His man management was rather poor in the last season and it was evident that he had lost the changing room. Lets support our boys through the good and bad and we will push forward if we are all united in our support!! COYL!!

• July 28, 2013 at 09:27

@vonhardshaft: You blame Kenny Jackett for a grown man acting like a spoiled child.

• July 28, 2013 at 20:31

@vonhardshaft: he played or 6 minutes and didn't link with anyone

• July 27, 2013 at 19:56

I don't care if DNG fell out with KJ, what he did against palace when the team were fighting to survive was a disgrace, he let the team, the supporters and himself down. Maybe SL doesn't know the full extent of his behaviour but the fans were entitled to their reaction. It's up to DNG to try and win the fans over now.

• July 27, 2013 at 20:57

@Adsy77777: I fully agree, so instead of booing him, where he will get frustrated and p***** off, we should encourage him and if he plays well can earn our respect back, as for the Palarse game, there are a lot of circumstances that we are not aware of. There was rumours that Dany was injured or not fully fit and that Jackett forced him on, which backfired...funny how we seemed to have forgiven Trotter's performances towards the end of last season once we heard about his injury.

• July 27, 2013 at 21:09

@vonhardshaft: von if trotter was playing today some would have had something to say for sure. He wasn't but dng was so trotts gets away this time but rest assured if and when he returns then I think he knows he has to put a shift in.

• July 28, 2013 at 20:33

@lukesmithmfc: what or you'll boo him 6 goals last season from Trotts, he'll do it you see

• July 28, 2013 at 20:42

@Lincolnshire Lion: no I wouldn't boo him it's not what I said
            I said some would.

• July 27, 2013 at 21:22

@vonhardshaft: Injured or not, DNG was sulking against palace. I didn't boo him personally today, but those who did were entitled to do so. If he wants to win us over he's go to get on with it, whether he is booed or not. Believe me, if he does the business he can turn it around. Trotter was unfit and out of form last season, he didn't sulk! The thing with Trotts is because of his playing style, if he's not playing well it looks like he's not trying. Hopefully Liam will come back fit and motivated, that will be like signing a £2 million player - on form he is class. Trotter, Chaplow and Bailey that's a quality midfield in my opinion.

• July 27, 2013 at 21:48

@vonhardshaft:

Thing is, Trotter has come out and said himself that his performances were not good enough at times last season. He also hasn't directly blamed his poor performances on his injury, although that's clearly implied.
        So his situation is completely different to DNG's.

DNG hasn't actually commented himself at all, and the injury talk is just a rumour right now, nothing official.
        If anyone at the club had any sense of PR at all, as soon as Lomas knew he wanted to keep DNG in the squad, Bobby Backache should have put something out about DNG being injured vs palace, but wanted to help the team stay up at any cost, but just couldn't make it happen. Then Lomas could have said how brave the lad was and he hopes the Wall fans can get behind him this season.

• July 28, 2013 at 00:35

@Garrick: I think you are all right in the sense that Millwall and DNG should have made a statement or attempted to repair their reputations, but that is something that Millwall will have to improve on and think how they can progress. I have looked for DNG's twitter and facebook to understand and try and see what his thoughts were of the whole boo'ing situation he experienced today, but all his accounts have been inactive since late 2011. I also understand the sentiments of us fans, who fork out our money that pays their wages and we are all entitled to our opinions, it's what is so great about this site, that we are all able to give our views in an intelligent matter. Personally I think he is a good player with plenty of potential, but his arrogance (maybe the French mentality) will cost him his future standing at the club, I hope that he can repair it...It takes a bigger man to forgive, and a smarter man to not forget!!

• July 28, 2013 at 07:37

@vonhardshaft: you are right von but it also takes a man to stand up and be counted as he's yet to do so. Fortunately for me that was drummed into me by my father and that's one of the fundamental's that I shall be installing into my boy. Nothing worse than mugging yourself off but nothing better to hold your hands up and admit your wrong, as I've had to do on this site a couple times.
            It's something dng should do on his own accord as a grown man should never be encouraged to apologise.
            You talk sense von and I like your post but I have a sneaky feeling this debate will go in for some time yet.

• July 27, 2013 at 20:09

Agree there's room for improvement.
    I Do not however agree with SL about the pitch as it was absolutely fine for the opposition who knocked it about lovely at times.
    Danny n'guessan I believe will not be with us come September as I think it's lost between him and the fans I really can't see a way back for him. I've liked the new wall revolution that's happening but this is the first time I wished lomas didn't talk so much, in his defence of dng as, he rightly says it was under different management but, mr lomas you need to remember one thing, you can change a million managers and chairmen to boot at a football club but you can never change the fans, just because you've wiped the slate clean it doesn't mean we will. We may forgive and I say "may" forgive the fact you played for west ham but it doesn't mean every fan will forgive any players for showing a lack of respect and professionalism.
    Good luck for the season ahead

• July 28, 2013 at 09:45

@lukesmithmfc: Well said Luke. I wonder if SL has spoken to KJ re DNG, if at all. It's only a matter of time before there's more trouble with a player/person of this type. SL should cut his losses and concentrate his efforts on the more professional players.

• July 28, 2013 at 09:56

I doubt if Lomas has spoken to Jackett about DNG.
        From what I can remember, Jackett put DNG on with specific instructions as to what to do. After 19 mins (I think) he decided he wasn't doing what he was told to do so substituted him. A real smack in the face for a sub to be subbed but if he wasn't following the Manager's instructions he got what he deserved. The rest is history as they say. I can't see any way back for him under Lomas despite what he is saying. At the end of the day, Millwall supporters are, and always will be, more important than players and management.

@lion.ie:

• July 28, 2013 at 10:17

@NICKOLA: Steve Claridge's radio commentary summed it up, he started out laughing at DNG and ended up with utter disdain for him. If DNG was man enough to issue an apology he would have done so by now and that's the only way he'll get back in with the fans, that or in the unlikely event he scores 20+ next season.

• July 28, 2013 at 14:05

@lion.ie: I was gonna mention clarridge's commentary but you beat me to it.
            I also reckon SL will cut his losses and after a nights sleep perhaps he wanted to see what the general consensus was amongst us fans. He will more than know how we feel after yesterday.
            I'm amazed that no one else has came out in defence of him. As I said yesterday his body language after lomas told him to acknowledge the crowd said it all, he looked so sorry for himself and it was worse after the game when he had a great chance to clap the crowd especially after chopper and a couple players tried to gee him up.
            There's a possibility that SL has spoken to KJ about it as he has inherited his squad do if there was or is any unrest then SL would want a personal chat about things. It's not an uncommon thing to do and remember KJ gave his two bobs worth to the board on his replacement. I'm also guessing that lomas has spoke at length with dng about this so maybe we can expect something from him in the next week or so. If not then he has no place here.

• July 27, 2013 at 20:19

DNG is all wrong for us. At the end of today's game , he could've applauded the fans regardless of the reception he was getting. That wouuld've earned him respect , instead , he's fuelled the haters. Get rid ASAP I say.

• July 28, 2013 at 10:49

@Block 8:
      I don't know about that, if he had of given the fans a bit of a clap it might have looked like he was taking the p*** and that wouldn't have done him any favours

• July 27, 2013 at 20:24

Happy days

• July 27, 2013 at 20:33

I really don't want to see DNG in a 'Wall shirt ever again tbh, but to be fair to the lad, he didn't hide from the fans at all today, he showed up. He did clap the fans as he came on despite the obvious boo's, put in a short but decent shift while being booed, and then he went and clapped each stand at the end on his own.

That said, its not enough for me, what he did is inexcusable, he hasn't apologised and doesn't seem to acknowledge any blame.

Lomas made a couple of massive mistakes in handling this situation as well though, firstly he didn't give DNG any time to really have an impact, so he hasn't improved fan opinion of him as a player.
    Secondly he subbed DNG on for Keogh, right as the crowd were signing his name and following the punch up, the fans were getting right behind Keogh and the team, the atmosphere was getting fairly heated (for a friendly) and it was precisely the last moment where you could expect a rational response from the crowd.

Not good reading of the situation by Lomas at all on this occasion.

• July 27, 2013 at 20:52

SL's love of DNG might bite him on the 'arris.

• July 27, 2013 at 21:17

Very impressed today, some very rusty especially Steve Morrison but he will get there! Chaplow had a brilliant game and a lot of praise for feeney he looks a lot more confident KJ's poor management knocked his confidence to shreds lomas has assembled a very strong side putting aside DNG

• July 28, 2013 at 07:53

So far SL has given us fans our best pre-season for a long time. We are all applauding the signings he has made and I feel he is more than in touch with what we are about here at the Den. So my feeling is that if SL wants to give DNG a chance then despite what he did we should at least give SL a chance with DNG and trust in his judgement which so far has pleased us all.

• July 28, 2013 at 08:19

All this is irrelevant if we beat Yeovil on Saturday. No one at the club should ever underestimate our support - it is wholly unique.

• July 28, 2013 at 10:41

Let bygons be bygons. DNG should be given a second chance, maybe with SL backing him he'll want to impress and tap into his super natural abilities haha. All I can say is: watch this space

• July 28, 2013 at 11:43

Dng's attitude is quite synonymous with the modern player, but at at club like ours it won't be tolerated because we won't let it. Earn the short back or p&£@ off. Passion and pride is what being Millwall is all about.

• July 28, 2013 at 11:44

Earn the shirt (sorry)

• July 28, 2013 at 12:28

What that p**** dng done against palace whilst fighting for our lives is unforgivable.... Remember that walk off the pitch

• July 28, 2013 at 12:29

What that tos# pot dng done against palace whilst fighting for our lives is unforgivable.... Remember that walk off the pitch

• July 28, 2013 at 13:31

Celtic are after Shane Lowry and have been quoted £500,000 by the club. Perhaps that's why SL is stalling on Shorey.

• July 28, 2013 at 13:42

The fact that Celtic have been quoted 500k indicates that he can go, as opposed to 'He's not for sale'.
      Lomas must have another left back as his preference. If it's going to be Shorey he'd better sign him up. Unlike friendlies we can't play non contracted players v Yeovil.

@Adsy77777:

• July 28, 2013 at 14:24

@NICKOLA: I am not to fussed at the possibility of losing Lowery as a LB, as you say we have the option to sign Shorey who would be better IMO. But what I am concerned about is the CB cover. I am unsure as to the durability and level at which Robbo will be able to play at after being out for so long with his injuries and I am unconvinced that Shittu will be able to repeat last years heroics and there are injuries/ suspensions to consider. As Shane is a proper CB is it wise to sell him, and please don't mention Jack do it all Smith as an option because I think he has had his day at MFC. I know I may upset a few people with this post but it is just a thought.

• July 28, 2013 at 14:31

I'm with you on that and I've posted such thoughts recently about Lowry's ability to cover left back and centre half. Personally I wouldn't sell him. IMO he's a better centre half anyway.
          I'm also worried about the centre half positions. Robbo is weeks away and Shittu isn't getting any younger. Having said that, the defence last season with Shittu and Beevers was the bedrock. Lomas has done wonders in midfield and attack. Now maybe we're going to see some midfield/forward players going out and new faces coming in next week to cover the defence.

@Sealion:

• July 28, 2013 at 14:26

@NICKOLA: Spot on. A quote of 500k doesn't look like an attempt to keep him, more like an attempt to raise some more spending money quickly. It'd be a shame as I think Lowry will mature into a useful player.

• July 28, 2013 at 14:50

There has been no bid by Celtic, Millwall have not put a value on him, and both Lomas and Berylson have said Lowry is not for sale... but don't let that get in the way of anything will you.

• July 28, 2013 at 15:02

@Garrick: Somebody got out of the wrong side of bed this morning. It's speculation and people commenting on speculation, nothing more.

• July 28, 2013 at 14:45

@Adsy77777: ouch
      Not questioning you ads but where did you read this as I would like to have a little read myself.
      Personally I would hold out for more as I reckon 3/4 clubs will now come in for him maybe 500k + a player would be a better deal. I also believe shorey to be the better player out of the two, yes I know your gonna throw his age and wage and desire to play for us in what maybe his last contract but Lowry has an awful lot to learn and this could prove to be good business if true and it happens. I'd definately put a couple clauses in to any sale so we walk away with a little more in a yr or two.
      Lowry's good don't get me wrong but with all the recent activity we can all agree something has to give and it would be nice to get a couple quid in cause I reckon it will be needed come January or even to fund a couple loans.

• July 28, 2013 at 15:08

@lukesmithmfc:

Celtic turned down an initial bid for their LB Kelvin Wilson, but didn't rule out a transfer at the right price.
        Immediately Celtic fans started slagging Wilson off on Twitter etc, and mentioning likely targets to replace him. Lowry was one of many names mentioned, Sports Mole Website ran that name, without any source quoted. (Web Page since removed/replaced)
        That story was re-tweeted / re-posted about a bit, so sports Mole quoted the re-posts of its own made up rumour as its source ???

The "Story" itself is rubbish, but whether Lowry (or his agent) fancies trying to manufacture a move or better contract out of it remains to be seen I'd guess.

• July 28, 2013 at 15:30

The source was 'The People'.

@Garrick:

• July 28, 2013 at 16:35

@NICKOLA: Must be true then Nick (-:

• July 29, 2013 at 07:03

@lukesmithmfc: hello Smithy, of course it's just a rumour at the moment but it might explain why we have yet to offer Shorey a contract. That's the point I was offering up for debate.

• July 28, 2013 at 14:12

Would want more than that for Lowry 2 mill would do and Shorey signed on for a free piece of p*** this transfer malarkey eh !!

• July 28, 2013 at 14:16

Dear Millwall 1979,
      I've got two very good players for you. Both have championship experience. One is Woolford and the other is N'Guessan. If you could try to get something for them I'd be ever so grateful.
      Best wishes,

Stevie Lo.

@Millwall1979:

• July 28, 2013 at 16:32

@NICKOLA: f*** me you will be asking me to turn water into wine next !!

IMO if one is gonna leave I would Rather Lowry than maybe trotter as I think all these players may make LT raise his game

• July 28, 2013 at 16:43

I think Trotter is going to be a much better player this season.
          With all the excitement surrounding the 'ins' it's a shame to think that one of our better players is being linked elsewhere, albeit in the tabloids. Hopefully it's just gossip.
          We mostly agree who we want to get rid of, and I agree with Luke that after seeing the reaction for DNG yesterday that Lomas won't want to upset the hardcore support by hanging onto someone who clearly isn't going to be forgiven. I can't see how he's going to be scoring 20 plus goals to get back the support either given that Morison and McDonald must be the two that start with Keogh as back-up.

@Millwall1979:

• July 28, 2013 at 19:53

@NICKOLA:
            Oh don't get me wrong I don't want him to go its nice for the first time it seems the manager is not in a position where he has to sell his prized assets ( not had many lately I know)

Just meant if he does go 500k ain't enough

As for DNG Can't see a way back to be honest

Also the old physio was a bit lovely dishing the drinks out weren't he on the bench should get him up serving the beers at half time !!

Who was the rotund one on the bench didn't look like Hartford and clocked pressman ??

• July 28, 2013 at 20:11

We may not even have Keogh soon, he's been linked with Doncaster. just another thought

• July 28, 2013 at 20:38

@Dazi: you like that rumour site don't you.

• July 28, 2013 at 22:50

@Lincolnshire Lion: Funny enough I got the info from Aldos twitter @accordingtoaldo however soon after posting my comment Keogh tweeted saying it was nonsense. anyways glad that's cleared up

• July 28, 2013 at 22:08

I think SL is right about DNG to scapegoat the player over one game is abaurd. He could well be a handful in the championship and I hope he is and finds the back of the net more often. Give the guy a break and a chance there can be no bad feelings between players and supporters at the start of the season it will affect morale amongst the rest of the players who will feel nervous that the same thin g will happen to them if they have have a bad game or time on the pitch. Get behind the whole team leave managing to SL . WE need a good positive confident atmosphere on the terraces as well as the pitch.

• July 29, 2013 at 09:52

Why all this comment about DNG he is one player in a squad of 32 some people think he should be given a chance others dont ( of which I am one) regarding the last game before the league starts this Saturday, we looked okay but they were a poor side and did not offer much in the way of a threat.

I am sure if KJ was still here he would have tried to get there No9 at the den (he was useless), I thought that we did not offer enough in front of goal on Saturday and like may of you I was supprised that the likes of McDonld & Bailey did not even get a run out, the same gores for Shorey so maybe he is not going to offering him a contract.

I still think the team/squad looks like work in progress as we have a new manager and coaches and new players, also he looks like he may be trimming his squad as Celtic have bid £500,000 for Shane Lowery would like to see him stay and let a few others go.