Lomas revolution continues as McDonald seals Millwall move

© Steve Drew
© Steve Drew

MILLWALL have completed the signing of Middlesbrough striker Scott McDonald on a free transfer – and Steve Lomas is targeting further additions to his squad.

McDonald, who has signed a two-year contract with the Lions, passed a medical at the club's training ground on Monday before training with his new teammates for the first time.

Despite hitting 13 goals in the Championship last season, Boro were eager to offload the striker's £30,000-a-week wages and have paid off the final 12 months of his deal.

That has allowed Millwall to nip in and sign the 29-year-old on significantly reduced terms.

Lomas said: "Scott has scored goals wherever he has been before and I'd rather take a chance on someone who has that habit. It is a known fact that we have been looking for competition up front.

"He scores all sorts of goals – and what I like about him is that a good number of those are with his head, which demonstrates good movement inside the box. You can have all the build up play in the world but if you've got nobody to finish the chances off, it's tough.

"We're happy to get the deal done. He's bright and lively. We probably have five strikers now so looking at Scott, and the likes of Andy Keogh and Steve Morison, you can certainly make some good partnerships."

McDonald added: "It has been well documented that Middlesbrough wanted to move in a different direction. I worked really hard and was succesful again last season but finances play a big part in football and they wanted to downsize.

"As a player, you can only do as much as you can with the contract you've been given until someone else wants to get you. Millwall showed a real hunger and desire to sign me.

"In recent years I've been missing that someone who really wants me to play for their club. I'm excited by it and looking forward to the challenge. It's the manager's first year here so it would be great to get off to a fantastic start."

Lomas says the arrival of McDonald is unlikely to be the end of his summer business – but he admits he may have to trim his wage bill later in the transfer window.

He said: "I don't think I have brought that many in – five players and one of them is a goalkeeper. I'm happy with what I've brought in, that's for certain, but four outfield players isn't a massive amount.

"Somewhere down the line the chairman's probably going to say, 'hold on a minute', but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Once we've improved the areas that will help us we might have to look at the other side of things.

"We've looked at almost every position. When you're not paying fees you've got to look at all those things – you can't just go out and buy a right-back or a left-back for £1million, you've got to do your diligence and have a look.

"I'd be more than happy to go into the season with what we've got, but we're always looking to improve. The chairman has made it clear to me that he wants to push the club forward.

"The chairman and Andy Ambler deserve a lot of credit – they have enabled me to make five signings and hopefully we're not finished yet."

Trialist Nicky Shorey continues to train with the club, but Frazer Richardson has moved on. However, former Brighton midfielder Gary Dicker has linked up with the squad.

67 thoughts on “Lomas revolution continues as McDonald seals Millwall move

• July 23, 2013 at 14:33

And the news just gets better and better! COYL!

• July 23, 2013 at 14:35

Get in !!

Hope the trimming means likes of n'guessan going rather than a Lowry etc

• July 23, 2013 at 14:36

cant beleive this is happening to us Lomas must have a persuasive way about him. defo top 10 finish now maybe just maybe dare i mention it but the play offs!! keep the wembley trips comming

• July 23, 2013 at 14:36

Proper TOUCH!

• July 23, 2013 at 14:37

I'm gonna wake up in a minute!

Well even Halfway harry must be in a positive mood now.
    Lomas, Ambler and Baron Berylson of Bermoindsey deserve praise.
    Berylson could have just walked away and left us Div. 2 bound but this is just fantastic news!

• July 23, 2013 at 14:37

Powerful! We want more! We want more! 🙂

• July 23, 2013 at 14:39

Wtf like really, is this millwall.. years and years of being linked to this and that player, going in to a start of a season allready let down. Credit to jb sl. Our strikeforce is deadly. Where be a freared team next year. Def solid maybe a rb and lb mid ok fw class I dont want no one else to be honest maybe a couple of young hungry loan sigings please come on wall next fifa out going to be hard to pick a millwall team lol

• July 23, 2013 at 16:38

@Hayes: I cannot believe this is Millwall we are talking about.

• July 23, 2013 at 14:41

COYL! Great signing and optimistic for the season ahead! Lot of gelling to be done and hard work ahead, but we have the look of an ambitious team now.

• July 23, 2013 at 14:44

To those of you that said this wouldn't happen - start believing.
    To those that say we haven't kicked a ball yet - have some belief.
    And to those that say Lomas is untested at this level I say wait and see. Our biggest problem next year isn't going to be keeping players - but keeping Lomas.

• July 23, 2013 at 15:05

@NICKOLA: To those of us who say we haven't got any points yet - we still don't have any points. The newly found ambition is there for all to see but why would we want to put even more pressure on Lomas by over hyping the situation? How many points from our first nine games Nickola, looks like you're expecting 27?

• July 23, 2013 at 15:27

18 points will do me thanks. 2 points a game gets you in the top six. I doubt Lomas reads this and in a either case all I'm doing is supporting him.
        Welcome to Millwall Scott McDonald.

@lion.ie:

• July 23, 2013 at 15:37

@NICKOLA: We all want the same thing mate, there is no right or wrong. I'm an optimist by nature, you should know that from my posts during the run in last season, but I'm also a realist. 18 points will put us in the top three based on the last nine seasons, Cardiff and Leicester were the only two teams who passed this mark after nine games last year. It's a big expectation. 13 points plus see us on course for the chance of a play off challenge, that'll do me for starters!

• July 23, 2013 at 15:56

You're right that we both want the same thing and my points wishes are just an opinion and yes, it's easy to get carried away. I do think though that we are going to be a force this season. We'll drop points at home for sure and get the odd hammering away, but I'm very optimistic we'll do very well. End of season, if we're where we hope them to be, we'll raise an on-line toast to each other. Cheers !!

@lion.ie:

• July 23, 2013 at 16:57

@NICKOLA: Thats what I have been thinking Nick, I know its early days but he could well be the next David Moyes. The no nonsense manner and the way he goes about his business. This is a guy who gets things done, no false promises just direct action. Before Old Les starts going on about nobs and lentil eaters, I know we have not kicked a ball in anger but what he has achieved in the short time he has been here is nothing short of remarkable, is this really MFC ?
      Happy days.

• July 23, 2013 at 14:45

I've just needed a pinch after reading that cos I was beginning to think I was a Man City supporter with all these really good signings! Well done all concerned & I'm off to the bookies to see if I can still get 22/1 on us getting promoted - get in!!

• July 23, 2013 at 14:47

Great signing and smart one too, mac knows he can get in to ghe sqaud and if he has a solid season and scores he be on that plane to rio.. very good deal for us and hi. Wow millwall just wow

• July 23, 2013 at 14:49

Great news! (Ambitious)

• July 23, 2013 at 14:49

I remember not long a former Chelsea, Rangers and Liverpool midfielder bought in a couple of dozen new players ahead of a new season.........

• July 23, 2013 at 15:11

@lancslion: Spackman? You cant compare some of them signings they were two bob. We really didnt have a pot to p*** in then!

• July 23, 2013 at 14:51

Well done S L great signing just can not wait for the season to start. COYL

• July 23, 2013 at 14:53

Brilliant, 'Bloody' brilliant....that is all.

• July 23, 2013 at 14:54

I think the axe needs to shown on the other squad players, my axe would be hit the following.
    DNG, Scott Malone, Josh Wright, Macquis, Trotter, Woolford, Jack Smith, jake goodman on loan. I would then sign Shorey, see what Sean St Ledge is upto. A right back, an adam smith on loan to push Dunney. A winger and we are sorted. Push Tom Bender, Alfie Pavey, Aiden O'Brien and Fred on the subs bench and give them 10-15 mins

My heart tells me Shittu and Robbo will struggle this year. On fitness and ability and the latter on fitness. Shittus only ability is to head the ball and will be sussed out soon and a ball over the top will see him and robbo raped. Like what steve morison done against him when he was at QPR.

To risky to give an unfit CB a run of games to get match fit, Robbo hasnt played in so long. Beevers passing is appalling but a good defender, Give karleigh osbourne a run i think!

• July 23, 2013 at 15:05

@millwall-loyal82:
      I agree with most but i think Malone and Trotter are decent and will stay. Malone has played really well in pre season and will push either Lowry or Shorey(If he signs) for a starting place if he can sustain that form. and I reckon Trotter will wake up and start showing his promise with the likes of Chaplow and Bailey around him pushing for starting places. If Dicker comes in(no pun intended) i can also see it being curtains for Abdou. Our defense was sound last year, probably kept us up and i think we have a good mix of qualities in that position, but i agree that Robinson and Shittu together are risky due to lack of pace....

• July 23, 2013 at 15:16

@millwall-loyal82: Don't agree with all you say, but Shittu is not as good as people like to think. I'd like us to sign an experienced quality, footballing and quicker centre half. I'll get slated for this but as far as I know St. Ledger is still available.

• July 23, 2013 at 14:57

Things keep looking better and better, but can see WRIGHT, SMITH and i hope im wrong but JIMMY ABDOU also leaving, Jimmy going back to France to be near his family.

• July 23, 2013 at 15:00

This is quite unbelievable! - The buzz surrounding Millwall is superb - that Yeovil game is going to be key, get a good result and I can assure you the whole place will be singing 'WE ARE GOING UP' Bring it on, COYL!

• July 23, 2013 at 15:04

I cant believe what has gone on the last few weeks! No strikers and now a hatfull of them and some creativity too. All credit to JB and the staff. He could have f***** off after last season.
    Harris back in the fold too and SL is looking for more!
    Anyone fancy Chalaboh i hear he is available on loan

• July 23, 2013 at 15:04

Brillant signing! Our strike force is looking very deadly this season, but will leave my judgement untill a few games into the season, but the buzz is back at the den!

• July 23, 2013 at 15:15

Happy days are here again La La La La La La La La!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exciting times

• July 23, 2013 at 15:17

So much to look forward to and these look like quality signings, but yes, Bayern_lion, I remember Nigel's brief stay too. Some of the players he bought didn't look bad at the time if I remember but that was when the phrase 'they need time to gel' was getting an airing every week, and with good reason. Teams like Leicester had lots of signings too last season and didn't do as well as people expected them to, whereas Watford did do well. What I'm saying is that it's what happens on the training ground and in the dressing room that will determine how well we do on the pitch, not just the number of new signings. (I think that people sometimes seem to forget that we can still only have 11 players on the pitch at any one time - it's as though every time we sign a player we think they are all gonna play!)
    If SL gets it right, and there's every sign that he will, then he'll get that same team spirit that KJ instilled. He won't want to demotivate the old brigade who may be thinking with each passing day, "that's the end of my Millwall career then". Motivating and helping players psychologically is vital, and if he can get Trotts on board in that respect then we could have a class player again - why are people so ready to write him off when it was only six months ago that he was playing well? Sometimes I do worry on this site that people ASSUME that because a player is new they will be better than the player they are replacing - let's hope they are, but let's also remember that you can also get the mojo back of players who have shown promise in the past (eg Feeney, who seemed to have found some of his old form towards the end of last season).
    Lastly, re central defence, I agree with Millwall loyal that Danny could struggle and as for our backs let's see which Alan Dunne we get this season too. And how many games Lowry stays not suspended for . . .

• July 23, 2013 at 15:21

I'm loving all these free transfers and Not a penny spent in transfer fees so that's how we can afford slightly higher wages.

I said on Twitter a few days ago this is truly football manager 2013 stuff I can see now Wright and nguessan moving on to get them off the bill and the youngsters marquis obrien Fred and the young defenders going out on loan for the season to get some experience

I can still see shorey signing

• July 23, 2013 at 17:20

No money spent you say Deano, I'd assume we'd pay each of the so called free transfers a signing on fee of £100,000+ each, it soon builds up,

• July 23, 2013 at 15:31

Keogh has just married and last year he refused to move down south and commuted to and from birmingham. Obviously he had a local pad etc. With the world cup coming up, Morison and macdonald being the most likely selection i can see him on his toes. Not surprised he hasn't hooked up with KJ back at wolves. I think we should cash in trotter and in reply to the above. Malone isnt a defender, more of a winger but most certainly not a championship player. Lomas is buying aggressive in your face type players (resign Tony Craig!) i just hope we hold our discipline. Lowry and dunne are not heads, Robbo gets involved, jummy loves giving a way a pen and a card. Trotter when he wakes up gets a booking, shittu the same, bailey, morison, chaplow and macdonald all love a tear up!

• July 23, 2013 at 15:33

The signings are great compared to some of the sh*t we have signed in the past. I agree with @waterloolion that Trotter must be given a chance, a quality player that lost his way. Wright might be off to Wolves, as KJ liked him. I spoke to him at end of season dinner 2011/12 season, and he really rates him. NG has got to go, and I think Abdou too as he is not near the class of the new boys. Dunne is my worry, slow, bad tackler and gives away to many penalties. Adam Smith on loan is an option, and loan out the youngsters to give them some game time. Osborne is also slow, so if there is any more signings, back four would be my choice.

• July 23, 2013 at 15:36

Yep, its the outbound players that are intriguing me, wonder who he has in mind. DNG/Wright/Smith/Woolford are standing out at the moment, but are Robinson/Shittu/Dunne/Trotter/Easter/Fieney/Marquis/Abdou safe? Depending how the early season pans out I would imagine a few of them might be struggling to get in the first team.

• July 23, 2013 at 15:44

I think your first four are in real danger now.
      With regards to your second list, I'd say Abdou will be gone soon. Marquis out on loan.
      I can't see him getting rid of the others.

• July 23, 2013 at 15:37

Just incredible but the real changes wil be in the team spirit, desire to win and motivationon the pitch. I hate this talk of we must get rid of so and so now etc. I hope SL does not fall into that negative trap, we might see a completely changed team. Liam Feeney expressed how much he is enjoying life under SL and is showing his enthusiasm on the pitch, no doubt all the others will as well.
    I want every player to do well at the club.
    I bet the dressing room is buzzing with excitement. Roll on Saturday.

• July 23, 2013 at 15:41

Got to be the best summer the club has ever had in terms of signing, if this continues we will be in serious contention for at least a play off place! A right-back and another left back to cover Lowry and dunne and we will have the strongest side we've had in many years

• July 23, 2013 at 16:16

@millwallhazza98: I think you'd have to go some way to beat Spring-Summer 1987 for quality signings - Hurlock, Carter, Wood, O'Callaghan and Cascarino. All for decent fees too.

• July 23, 2013 at 15:42

Got to be the best summer the club has ever had in terms of signings, if this continues we will be in serious contention for at least a play off place! A right-back and another left back to cover Lowry and dunne and we will have the strongest side we've had in many years

• July 23, 2013 at 15:49

Welcome to the Den Scott, i'm starting to think big Mick ,S Lomas and super Neil are getting these players here and then getting them to sign deal's with baseball bat's and threat's of extreme violence , it's the only explanation i can come up with for these sort of players singing for our club lol.
    A big well done to all involved including A A , ( damm that was hard to type ) lol .
    Keep em comming ,Smith from Spurs next please .

• July 23, 2013 at 16:00

@Lion by the sea: By the sea, well said and I am glad that you never choked on the well done, top man

• July 23, 2013 at 17:54

@Barnlion: Thanks barnlion , i am not a big fan of Ambler but felt he deserves a bit of credit , i was expecting dogs abuse for saying it tbh lol.

• July 23, 2013 at 15:55

Shorey has to be a must. So much experience, with good discipline. Able to overlap down the flanks and put in a decent cross, especially with SL going on about SM heading ability. I dont believe Lowry has those qualities. I am certain Shorey would want to sign, lets be honest who wouldn't want to play for super wall.

• July 23, 2013 at 16:21

Gary dicker has joined the club on trial didn't SL state at some point an interest in him

• July 23, 2013 at 16:49

Great summer signings, the last time we made quality signings John Docherty was in charge and look what happened......COYL

• July 23, 2013 at 17:09

blinding summer,well done jb and the ginger one . very impressed . COYL!!!!

• July 23, 2013 at 17:15

Hi guys, i'm new! Very much looking forward to the start of the season now! I'll be honest, at the end of last season, i was fearing the worst for this campaign! However Lomas is certainly a breath of fresh air! How he's managed to get all these free transfers in i do not know! I'm not going to get carried away and say Promotion is on the cards, but is it wrong to be optimistic!? I'm off down Ladbrokes to stick a Tenner on us finishing top half! 😉 COYL

• July 23, 2013 at 17:33

@James_SE16: Welcome James, like yourself having suffered the mental anguish of last seasons run in I was dreading the coming season. But what the hell happened, I still can't believe it. Quality players coming to Millwall instead of the usual Bournemouth and lower league rejects.
      Can't wait till Aug 3rd.

• July 23, 2013 at 17:40

@Sealion: Cheers Sealion! I think we may still be in need of a Left Winger! I'm not sure about Martin as i have heard mixed reviews from Ipswich fans and i don't think Woolford or Feeney are really good enough! Maybe a young, loan player from the Prem or even a youngster from the lower leagues!?

• July 23, 2013 at 18:22

Like many, I was unsure about the Steve Lomas appointment, but now I can't wait until August. The Scott McDonald signing, was another in the line of Steve Morison, Lee Martin, Richard Chaplow and Nicky Bailey, where I kept expecting another "so say" bigger club to come and steal them away from us and each time the player has scribbled on the dotted line. Now I'm not usually a betting man, so much so that the last time I put any money on the Lions was on the day we signed Tony Cascarino, then forgot all about it 'til we were doing the conga around Boothferry Park. Now, especially after the return of Moro, coupled with the Scott McDonald addition, I think I'll have to take the padlock off the old wallet. I think this could be a very long overdue exiting season for us.

• July 23, 2013 at 18:35

Apparently posh have been sniffing around DNG !!!!

• July 23, 2013 at 18:36

Apparently posh have been sniffing around Dng !!!

• July 24, 2013 at 07:05

@bonnie1272:theres a little snippet in the local rags up here n his name gets mentioned but then again the info came from barry fry

• July 23, 2013 at 19:56

Hi people, I'm also another newbie so please go easy on me. I live right in the middle of the main Palarse support and they all keep talking about the players we are signing and not their feeble efforts to stay in the Prem! SL is already doing a better job than KJ did in the last 2 seasons ( even though I was a big KJ fan). Welcome Scott and lets hope you and Morro score 40 between you this season. COYL.

• July 23, 2013 at 20:54

Always read up on here for news about transfers never bothered to comment, but this season looks special, the club has shown real ambition and for once deserves my money for a season ticket also for my kids, i think we all need to turn up every week to show that if we see effort we will repay them with support week in week out, we need to start dragging our mates and their kids to games too.... im going to but home and away kits for me and kids also.....

better still we need to all pop to the training ground to show how much we are behind them.... Millwall are a sleeping giant and i hope that JB and co realises that

Come on Millwall let em come!!!

• July 23, 2013 at 22:53

Tell me im not dreaming...

• July 24, 2013 at 02:52

Where are all the Lomas bashers now!!!! Two Aussies playing for Millwall now - love it!! Lowry and McDonald will both be in the Aus world cup squad, mark my words. Prem 2014/15 here we come!!!!

• July 24, 2013 at 09:59

paddy power has us at 66/1 to win title on sky text. that worth a punt only reading and qpr serious contenders f*** your forests and leicsters run by people who know s*** abt footy. we are run by a knowledgable chairman and a manager who along with backrm staff are working class grafters who know what it takes. imagine if dng had a strop now and had to go and face sl, mh and bomber he,d be lynched coyl

• July 24, 2013 at 13:11

So looking forward to Aug 3, season ticket at the ready We need a countdown clock to the start of the season.

• July 24, 2013 at 16:30

Simon Church is training with Charlton according to Sky News. Can't we swap him for NG?