Millwall given permission to hold talks with Steve Lomas

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL have been given permission to open talks with St Johstone's Steve Lomas about becoming their next manager.

The Lions board earmarked the 39-year-old as the man to succeed Kenny Jackett at a board meeting on Monday after discounting former Blackburn Rovers boss Steve Kean, who was the strongest rival contender.

And Lomas' appointment at The Den looks set to be pushed through before the weekend.

Saints chairman Steve Brown, who had been away on holiday, flew into the UK on Wednesday for talks. But Lomas has just 12 months left on his contract at McDiarmid Park – and so compensation is likely to cost Millwall less than £100,000.

Brown said: "I have been contacted by Millwall and following discussions have given them consent to speak to Steve Lomas.

"Steve is an ambitious and talented manager and I am disappointed but not surprised that his progress has been monitored by other clubs.

"As with our previous two managers, we will not stand in the way of Steve if he agrees to join Millwall."

Chief executive Andy Ambler will be in Portugal tomorrow for the Football League's AGM but he is expected to return to London as soon as possible to conclude the deal.

Lomas would be seen as a controversial appointment by some fans given his strong connections with West Ham, who he captained for six seasons during an eight-year spell at Upton Park.

But he is regarded as one of the most promising young managers in the game after securing Europa League football for St Johnstone two campaigns running. Last season, he achieved the Perth club's best run of results since 1971 during a purple patch of form in the SPL.

If talks go smoothly, the former midfielder, who also played for Manchester City, QPR and Gillingham during his career, will pip Kean to the post.

It is thought Kean was overlooked because of his proficiency as a coach rather than a manager in his own right. The 45-year-old, who impressed during the interview stage, could now join Jose Mourinho's coaching staff at Chelsea.

149 thoughts on “Millwall given permission to hold talks with Steve Lomas

• June 5, 2013 at 13:55

Just seen this breaking on the BBC "dont know what to say", now its over to the fans also Aldo you better keep your eyes open because a lot of what gets posted will be lets say "colourful".

• June 5, 2013 at 17:53

@Barnlion: This is a bad idea along the lines of appointing willy bonds, I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years plus and renewed for next season but will be asking for my money back.

• June 5, 2013 at 13:58

i cannot believe this, dont thin i will be a regular next season.

• June 5, 2013 at 15:47

@alkz22: Can't say I'm not disappointed, but we have to give him a chance.

He's got a tough job - a squad that needs re-building, falling attendances and a strong West Ham background. General reactions show he'll have to get off to a good start to gain our support, so I hope the club realise he'll need resources to bring in some decent fresh players (and not of the calibre of Easter) .

• June 5, 2013 at 13:58

Like I said in a previous post on here, so Ambler reckons we had quality applications omg the guys deluded. I worry I really worry for us. Wonder what the ST prices will be for 2014/15 in League 1

• June 5, 2013 at 13:59

Give the bloke a chance regardless of his background, remember Big Sam used to be a centre half here a few years back. The club have clearly taken their time and thought it through and we have to trust their judgement, they found KJ didn't they? I'll still be going home and away this season. Role on pre-season!

MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• June 5, 2013 at 14:05

For many reasons this is a very very bad call - I won't be getting a season ticket if this man is in charge it's a big step backwards - club lacks ambition and Amber is a t***!! Personally I would rather wise or kean over lomas! I could get st Johnstone in to Europe in that tin pot league with no rangers in it!!

• June 5, 2013 at 14:18

@TheBermondseyBomber: It looks like they have taken the cheap option. What players will he be able to persuade to come here what influence does he have and what contacts does he have, very little I should imagine. Its not the WH connection that bothers me it is the lack of ambition shown by the board. They probably think they have got themselves a yes man due to his lack of experience and can fob him off with a little budget. They could not get away with that with one of the bigger names.
      I,m all for giving the guy a chance and I hope he proves the doubters wrong but I must admit I am not looking forward to next season. Be careful of what you wish for !

• June 5, 2013 at 14:24

@Sealion: I agree it's definitely financially motivated for the club! I don't think this guy will be able to attract the dross we had in last season let alone better!! Long hard season ahead I fear! Bitterly disappointed by this

• June 5, 2013 at 14:08

It could have been worse! Considering his good record at St Johnstone he should not be prejudged at this time. I hope the supporters will give him a chance and get behind the team.

• June 5, 2013 at 14:16

@Peckhamlad: do you think his record is good there? 35% wins is not great in that league I don't think personally

• June 5, 2013 at 14:08

Lomas is a gamble. A club our size have to take risks on players and staff - we don't have the financial clout to cherry-pick whoever we want. Let's hope the Lomas gamble pays off.

• June 5, 2013 at 14:16

F*** it, f*** the board f*** JB f*** ambler f*** the championship.
    f*** em all united west ham Liverpool.
    He'll except the job aswel no worries there.
    This is a very dark day indeed. What a crock of s***. I feel physically sick and have a very bad feeling about next season. I thought we were getting a surprise not a f****** millwall joke. How and why we expected anything different is beyond me. Thanks JB you can now stick your big talk, no wonder you f***** off back to the states and left ambler to pick up the pieces and cop the blame. Ambler whether I like you or not I will not be blaming you, this is the old boys on the board and JB 100% no doubt about it. I guess we had it too good too long and we fell right into those w****** hands by f****** about on the terraces last season. They will now come out with all sorts of excuses and pass the buck big time.
    F****** cop out. As for getting rid of dead wood watch the s*** this t*** brings into the club. On top of keeping the s*** we already have.
    I really do not want him to manage our club, I don't know what will be worse him excepting the job or turning us down for obvious reasons. If he does the latter we'd be even more if a laughing stock than we already are.
    Well done wall for showing real ambition. I think you all (the board) knew all along what you were doing and what you want out of this.
    Everybody knows us we're called millwall.

• June 5, 2013 at 14:25

@lukesmithmfc: you alright there Luke? Breathe mate! Have to say I agree with you!! Backward step and a very dark day!

• June 5, 2013 at 15:09

@TheBermondseyBomber: yeah I'm over the moon berm.
        I really want him to say thanks but no thanks just to watch them squirm to someone else who they said thanks but no thanks to.
        The funny thing is its not even lomas's fault. But why would he leave a team who's in Europe next season and who have every chance of finishing second and qualifying for the champions league?

• June 5, 2013 at 14:20

better prepare for a relegation battle then.............

• June 5, 2013 at 14:24

Complete f****** joke - is this really the best we could do

• June 5, 2013 at 14:41

Gutted what a joke all this time and they come up with him won't bother wasting money going down to the den

• June 5, 2013 at 14:42

I wanna know what happened to Mcleish ...... He should of got the job hands down. Same old Milwall

• June 5, 2013 at 14:43

All this wait, for... Lomas?

Forgetting that he's an ex spammer, his record is not proven and if this is the best we could do, god help us.

Actually, I'm gutted by this. All the hope we had, shattered 🙁

• June 5, 2013 at 14:44

I can see where you are all coming from, but according to the media its just permission to hold talks with him, but as we know after all the expectations we all had about a real manager once again AA and the board appear to have let us down, lets hope this is not the case, but I would not like to bet against it.
    It is very sad that such things are making so many of you think about leaving the club you love, surley it would be better to be a vocal opposition to this potentional appointment from within the club rather than depriving yourselves of not watching your team, I would advise that you think about this and not give a knee jerk reaction to this news. COYL

• June 5, 2013 at 15:01

@Barnlion: as much sense as your talking barn, what happens if he turns us down? What's the plan b?
      We've been fed little bits here and there and as you rightly state it's only permission, but we're fcuked if he turns us down. This is really bad pr for the club cause its now been said that the club want lomas cause they don't want kean. What's the contingency plan when or if lomas says he'd rather stay in Scotland for another yr or so. No denying its terrible news barn.

• June 5, 2013 at 14:45

In a word 'GUTTED'. Not cos he's an ex hamster but because he is unproven at this level having impressed in one of the poorest leagues in Europe and even then not for any length of time. How in touch is he with the English game? Will he have the necessary clout to bring in bigger names? I will still get behind him and the team but more in hope and duty than expectation. The drawn out nature of his appointment just adds to the feeling of anti-climax. I hope he proves me wrong.

• June 5, 2013 at 14:50

@Adsy77777: Its like every transfer window ................... Big Fat Anti climax

• June 5, 2013 at 14:47

LOMAS OUT.

• June 5, 2013 at 14:50

The reason it was taking so long is that none of the applicants would work for peanuts, and wanted money to build a team!!!!!!!!!

• June 5, 2013 at 18:03

Nail on the head mate.

• June 5, 2013 at 14:51

Really Shocked by this annoucement. Wonder what Critera the board used to appointment this Hamster. Gutted!!!!!!!!!!!!

• June 5, 2013 at 14:51

All you lot prattling on about not going to the den next season because of Lomas, all your heads have gone.... Yes he's an old Spammer and he's ginger ;0), but what would you of done if Teddy had applied, yes he was a Millwall legend but he was also a very popular player at west ham! Lomas needs to be given the benefit of the doubt regardless of what club he's played for in his day. F**king joke, give the geezer a chance before you start c**ting him off. The bloke hasn't even been appointed yet!!!!!!

• June 5, 2013 at 15:07

@Windy:

I think the main concern is that he has an unproven record. The Scottish league is one of the worst in the world, it's just a second kick in the nads that he happens to be an ex spammer!!

• June 5, 2013 at 14:52

This seems very uninspiring. Not just for the fans, but also the players, I'd imagine.

If they were willing to wait around for Lomas, why couldn't they be bothered to wait a week or so to interview Babbel? Babbel would have been fresh, well respected and experienced.

• June 5, 2013 at 14:53

Millwall started the search for a manager.... the Media, Board and Aldo built this up to make we were all thinking it was going to be a proven, experienced manager like Owen Coyle or Alex McLeish or Steve McLaren but in the end we were left with Paul Clement, Steve Kean and Steve Lomas.

We are all gutted because of the HYPE the three above put into this managers campaign and as usual we are left disappointed.

This is surely when Pete Garston has got to step up and say something, after all he is a "Fan on the board" so he should be saying what all the fans are saying, he is our voice... and clearly nobody wanted or was hoping for Lomas!

• June 5, 2013 at 15:01

@Bradders: Bradders,
      Do you think they take any notice of him he is just a token to keep the plebs quite, no one on the board could not have been looking at this site since KJ departed, and if the did there action mean that they dont give a F*** what we think.

• June 5, 2013 at 15:08

@Barnlion: I hear you Barnlion, without us there is no Millwall so the Board need to start taking notice of us as we pay players wages and keep going to games.

Nobody ever keeps to their word at Millwall and I think that is the thing which frustrates us most.... we hear words like "ambition" and phrases like "moving the club forward" or "the next step".

I really hope Lomas proves us wrong, of course because I will always support my club but this has made the task that little bit harder!!

• June 5, 2013 at 15:13

@Barnlion: they've never given a f*** about us cause opinion will always devide. As above some, are really happy with this news and impending appointment.

• June 5, 2013 at 17:53

Gutted. We have been treated like absolute idiots. What happened to the top quality candidates. OMG I feel so completely mugged.

By the way Bradders, I think you've got Garstons role wrong. He is not the fans voice in the boardroom, he is the boardroom voice on the terraces!

• June 5, 2013 at 15:08

@Bradders: good shout, is there a link or email address we can ask these sort of things or do we just stand outside the den with a sign and wait for a response

• June 5, 2013 at 15:16

@banksy: Given JB is hardly ever in the country (especially after his exploits in Paris and back to the US) I don't even think standing outside the Den kicking and screaming will do much....

Maybe sabbotage of a pre-season game might go down better... who's in?

• June 5, 2013 at 15:29

@Bradders: to the scaffold stands of the gills it is then

• June 5, 2013 at 18:32

for f**** sake give the guy a chance west spam or not! i have read every blog on this and the people saying that they aint going anymore are deluded the people who are posting a bit of positive feedback are getting the "LIKES" we have had worse than this at the DEN!!! at least one good thing - it aint a jock!!

• June 5, 2013 at 15:06

On this basis we should have signed a Blue Sq Premier manager. Probably a better league than SPL. P****d off to say the least. Cannot see anyone coming to us wanting to work with him.

• June 5, 2013 at 15:10

Just to let everyone know I'm on Holiday from tomorrow which has been ruined by this news from the Millwall Board.... does the board fancy refunding my holiday or my season ticket, your choice??

• June 5, 2013 at 15:19

I'm not happy, Lomas will have to pull off a miracle to win me over

• June 5, 2013 at 15:22

From the initial responses on here which range from outright hostile to hoping for the best this does not appear a popular appointment. Given last seasons disappointments with signings and performances et al, this appointment is not the morale boost we had all been hoping for. If he doesn't get off to a good start (especially given his old allegiances) I think we could be going through this all again by Christmas. I personally think the club have misjudged the fans feelings and missed a trick. As I said before, I am willing to give him a chance and I would be over the moon if he proves me (and it would appear others) wrong.

• June 5, 2013 at 15:32

@Adsy77777: our boards out look just seems to be "why eat steak when you can have beans" love the way our clubs run ....

• June 5, 2013 at 15:24

Ok so it looks like it's lomas to say I'm underwhelmed is an understatement but regardless of his past I'll back him and the club that's in my blood so here's an open letter to Steve Lomas fRom me

welcome Steve

Looks like you have got quite a job on your hands but I'll leave that bit to you!

as a group of fans don't want much in life really except passion a trip to Wembley every couple of years and a team that we can be proud of.

Yes you will get stick but being a former spammer you got loads anyway expect some more

how can you get us on side? Well a decent striker or two I'll settle for higdon a ball playing midfielder who can put his foot in and get rid of all the dead wood!

Fanct a challenge??

Good luck

• June 5, 2013 at 15:33

F*****g hilarious,first Easter and now lomas. On the bright side the Mrs will be happy that I'll be at home on Saturdays rather than watching wall. Who's the ex-vermin shaggy look a like f***er gonna have has he's assistant SCOOBY DOO.....

• June 5, 2013 at 15:40

The fans wanted KJ out - so he left. They didn't want McLaren, Wise, Kean etc etc Babbel couldn't be bothered. McLeish is up for the Wigan job I understand. Whoever got the job we wouldn't have been happy. West Ham's manager is ex-Millwall. One of Millwalls legends 'Arry Cripps was an ex Spammer. I don't care who he played for as long as he is successful. He obviously sold himself to the club and we expect. He has been successful and hopefully can bring that success to us. Good managers do things right. He knows he will be seen as a ex-hamster but he wants to take the job on. He is a young manager with international playing experience. I will continue to support the club and if he does well he will remain part of it, if he doesn't it'll be back to the drawing board.

• June 5, 2013 at 15:52

@Vinny Shell: Vinny, well spoken and thoughtful words and Arry ended up with the train spotters down the road, the thing that seems to be getting up every ones noses is all this hope and expectation theat either the board on News at Den put out about who is in the frame.
      If we every do get to know the truth (maybe Pete Garson mite spill the beans) I bet that if anyone one who is a so called top manager was not interested because of who we are and the lack of funds to build a decent side, and the rest where just to keep us interested and deflect us from having a go at the board.
      If he is going to be our manager then like you say Vinny lets get behind him and hope he makes us all eat our words and builds a half decent team that we can enjoy watching, and no end of season nail biting like this one.

• June 5, 2013 at 15:44

Who fancies some of this on the side lines down at the den next season.

• June 5, 2013 at 16:34

@Windy: That should be a bit more entertaining than watching Jackett standing with his arms folded for 90 minutes!

• June 5, 2013 at 17:07

@junkmale: Definitely, As a player if you take the west ham bit away you would probably say he was a type of player that we would of taken down the den all day long....and it looks as though he's taken that style into management. Like him or loath him at the minute, if he shows that type of passion on the touch line he will be taken in.....

• June 5, 2013 at 15:46

Personally I don't give a fk about the ex West Ham nonsense, it's not his fault re the rivalry between the two sets of fans and there were people on here a few weeks ago clamouring for Di Canio. If the Board think he is the right man then they are better placed than me to make that decision, although I would have preferred somebody more exciting who hadn't cut there teeth in Scottish Mickey Mouse football. I fear that this appointment won't last long if he has a slow start, which is likely given the rebuild that's needed and I hope the Board give him a sensible length of contract, one year rolling if they can get away with it to avoid an expensive compensation pay out down the line. Not a done deal yet and at least it's not Steve Kean.

• June 5, 2013 at 15:50

I might as well cut up my season ticket as soon at get delivered......because i will not be going, Fvck JB, AA and the rest tw@ts on the board and lack of ambition they've shown by even mentioning Steve Lomas. not because he is an ex spammer but because of the lack of experience he has and the level he has managed at, Ciao

• June 5, 2013 at 16:02

Dont think McLeish and others were ever starters, not enought budget for them. So it was down to Lomas and Kean does not really inspire you does it. But look at it this way, KJ was unknown when he came to us , and he has left a legend. Please if he is named manager lets give the bloke a chance. He will know players in that league that would love a chance to play in the Championship, he has played a lot of football, and again will know players. I would rather take a chance on a unknown rather than all the others that sit on the championship managerial roundabout. You never know he might be just what we have been looking for.
    PS. You have got to get over the West Ham connection !

• June 5, 2013 at 16:09

Well after getting over the shock annoucement that Lomas may well be our next manager. Will still been down at the Den next season. I am all for giving Lomas a chance to prove himself. COYL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• June 5, 2013 at 16:05

One of the reasons I'll give it a miss next season is incase I bump into ambler,I dont fancy doing a stretch for attempted murder. The opportunity we had to create a bit of excitement and stir a bit of passion has gone,our crowds were already poor but they will be even worse next season. NEVER underestimate the hate between us and the vermin.

• June 5, 2013 at 16:07

@
    Terry_hurlock
    bang on

• June 5, 2013 at 16:11

St Johnstone are a very small team with little budget, he has done well to secure Europe two seasons running in a more competitive Scottish League, with more teams able to claim the top 3 places. I am happy with this coice, he is untried at our level but all the signs are that he knows how to build a team with little cash. Give him a chance lads.

• June 5, 2013 at 16:14

I wish we'd leave Lomas alone. He's not a West Ham fan , he's an ex professional footballer. If he was West Ham , why the hell would he interview with us ? Let's be honest here , if my son became a pro and got offered a contract at west ham , he'd have my proud backing. I'm Millwall through and through and a seaon ticket holder but consider myself both realisitic and not shallow minded or blinkered.

• June 5, 2013 at 16:33

@blk8: I agree with you and Glyngo that if he is the next manager we need to get behind him and the team, . I am realistic about who we were going to get and my disappointment is not due to who he used to play for. I am just worried that after only two seasons in a poor league that it is a huge gamble - he could be, and I hope he is, the next great scottish manager to enter our league. I hope for his sake he, and whatever signings he makes, get of to a good start. There are many who do begrudge his hamster allegiance and the discontent could grow VERY quickly.

• June 5, 2013 at 17:37

@Adsy77777:
        I share your concerns entirely. I just accept that is the level we are pitched at. We can't afford and attract big established players. The same probably goes with managers. The 3rd lowest average attendance last season we had at home. This is the price you pay.

• June 5, 2013 at 20:38

@blk8: Sorry Blk8, I did say bigger names, what I meant to say was emerging players who are currently plying their trade at a lower level or even reserve players and young players from larger teams. I am realistic about the budget we have on the crowds we get. I really hope, as I'm sure we all do that he turns out to be a Millwall legend. My only misgivings about his hamster past is that he might not be afforded the leeway that other contenders might have. After a couple of hours reflection, it could have been a lot worse I suppose! Come on you Lions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• June 5, 2013 at 16:19

Look on the bright side.
    Firstly he might be able to organise a pre season friendly between us and the Hammers!
    From the comments above, looks like they'll be less people coming to games which means I can get a beer at half time quicker!

Personally, I would of gone all out to get Dychie, but the board have decided to go another route. No matter what happens, I'll be down the Den next season. COYL

• June 5, 2013 at 16:31

If this is the 1st day they have had permission to speak to him, does this mean we wont have a manager by Friday ?

• June 5, 2013 at 16:38

I didn't think we could find a manager who was uglier than Dowie, but we have! Seriously, though, I think there has been a bit of an over-reaction to this news. St Johnstone are a tiny club and what he has achieved there is impressive. If he is appointed let's give him time to get it sorted. Don't forget that the season Jackett got us promoted we were nowhere near the top at Christmas.

• June 5, 2013 at 16:48

How many people wanted Kenny Jackett to be appointed Millwall manager beyond John Berylson? Few, if any.

Give the man a chance. His West Ham connection is of no consequence and although his lack of experience is concerning we are a small club with a small budget and were not going to tempt many bigger names. That said, what he achieved in Scotland last season was fantastic and only those of you who do not realise how small St Johnstone are would question that.

If Steve Lomas is appointed Millwall manager he deserves nothing short of our full support and encouragement and, most important of all, our patience. We are a club who has struggled against relegation for two concecutive seasons in a diviison that will be even harder next season on one of the smallest budgets in the league and smallest fanbases.

If you're not willing to give him the support and time he needs the club are, I believe, able to offer a refund on season tickets because you are not wanted.

• June 5, 2013 at 16:55

First of all I would like to thank the directors of Millwall Football Club for think I am good engough to coach there team in the English Championship, and I would also like to say a thank you for all the kind words that have been written about me on this site.
    If I am lucky enough to be appointed to this position at Millwall I will put all my experenance and knoeledge I have gained during my time in professional footbal to good use for the club, I have a couple of signings that I think may improve the squad at the Den they are both from Airdire Utd (hold your horses) Jamie Bain scored 3 goals last term and Ryan Donnelly scored twic as many as Jamie.
    Lets all get behind the team and me if I get the nod and lets hope I can go one better than Kenny this coming season 6th from the bottom well safe.

• June 6, 2013 at 09:46

@banksy: Banksy, sorry it took so long to get back to you, as you may know I have been busy having talks about moving south of the boarder in the near future, anyway it was just a typo on my part, also the Schools in Northern Ireland and Scotland are far better than there English counterparts.
        But getting back to the proposed move down to SE london, would have any suggestions as to where might be a good place for me and my family to move to, which is not to far from the Zampa Rd and training ground, I would be glad of any of your thoughts on this matter.

• June 5, 2013 at 17:02

Not going to spare the time to waste typing abusive and moaning comments about the future Millwall manager. Look Lomas was never any of our first choice but let's face it, he's been the favourite for the past fortnight or so I'm not seeing the surprise in the appointment. He's not got the greatest of managerial records so he's a risk, however I think the other options weren't dead cert successes. If he gets the option to bring in an experienced assistant, there's the possibility of an advance in contacts.

Unfortunately I'm based in Australia so I won't be a regular down the den next season but I hope that people aren't going to turn their backs on the club without giving the club a chance. Burnley gave coyle a chance and it got them in the premiership. The appointment has taken a while and the result has been somewhat of an anticlimax but let's now look past this a share the opinions on potential signings. Onwards and upwards! Coyl!!!

• June 5, 2013 at 17:40

I couldn't care less about the West Ham connection . More worrying is the lack of his championship / L1 experience. Our club relies on loans/short contracts - how can Lomas compete not knowing the players/teams in this division? He'll be at the mercy of agents punting all manner of s**** in his direction. I will look forward to his first signing.

• June 5, 2013 at 18:25

Get on with it 'wall. Get them freebies in and nick Lee Griffiths of Hibs from under the noses of those slags at wolves.
      Lets av it!!!MMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIII

• June 5, 2013 at 17:53

I've been a Millwall fan for nearly 40 years - but right now I really don't know how much more I can take!
    It's not the impending arrival of Steve Lomas that's driven me to despair, it's the mindless idiots on here who are slaughtering the guy and the club.
    I'm not sure there's much point in trying to argue with these morons, but what the hell.
    * He's a cheap option - Well, our home gates were amongst the lowest in the Championship last season and we're currently losing £2-3million a year. The FA Cup run may have wiped out last season's loss, but Berylson has already poured millions of his own money into the club and appointing a 'big-name' manager on a lucrative contract would have been a huge and potentially disastrous gamble.
    * It shows the club's lack of ambition - Utter nonsense. If Lomas takes the job we'll have a young, highly ambitious manager who is determined to enhance his CV rather than one of the journeymen candidates who've already tried and failed elsewhere.
    *He's a Hammer - Personally, I hope anyone who subscribes to that argument never steps foot inside The Den again. What the hell does it matter who he used to play for?
    *He's only done well in the SPL because it's a p***-poor league - Laughable! The SPL may be p***-poor but finishing third and qualifying for the Europa League is still a remarkable achievement when you consider the budget he's had at his disposal. It suggests he knows how to get the best out of his players and he'll certainly need to do that at The Den.
    * He hasn't got any contacts and won't be able to attract any decent players - Ridiculously naive! He played for Manchester City and QPR as well as the Hammers, so he'll know plenty of managers, agents and players, he's well-respected in the game and if the money's right players will come.
    *He's too inexperience - JB and Ambler said right from the start that they wanted someone who would 'grow with us'. Experience is absolutely no quarantee of success and reports in Scotland suggest one of Lomas's great strengths is developing young players - something we desperately need. He's also a bit of a firebrand and that passion will go down well at The Den.
    The club took too long over the whole process - What were they supposed to do, give it to the first man who applied? If they'd done that they've have been slaughtered for rushing things.
    Any more for any more?

• June 5, 2013 at 18:11

@Lonz: well said lonz , iam season ticket holder to and have been for many many years , all these silly comments about people not going , i think your right he would have a number of contacts he was in the same qpr side as gallen who was youth coach , and i have thought from the start gallen will still be his no2 , and the west ham link is just childish , so what , we might just be getting a good young manager you have got to give him a chance , you have got to look at him and think he has some balls to take the job , i hope he proves all the douters wrong , i wonder how of these fans will return when we play leeds or charlton or if he gets of to a good start , its the team we support not the manager.

• June 5, 2013 at 19:19

@munson68: If we do get Lomas do we really want Gallen as no2, surely he was part of the problem imo it would be better to have a new set up with fresh ideas.

• June 6, 2013 at 10:14

Sealion, Forget about Gallen. The new manager is going to want his own lieutenant. Gallen will be managing Dulwich Hamlet or Fisher before you know it.
          @Sealion:

• June 5, 2013 at 17:58

I was disappointed when KJ was appointed, but he done us proud. If Lomas is appointed, a least we will have another promising up and coming manager (fingers crossed remembering Jimmy Nicholl), as opposed to a has been. He clearly shows passion for the game, as we do, so who cares where he once played. He may be just what we need! Any talk of protests and not coming to the Den is b*******, we must get behind him and the team, as if we don't it is our club that suffers.

• June 5, 2013 at 18:04

Can't say I am overly pleased with this but his record is quite impressive although hard to analyse as I am not convinced the standard in Scotland is much higher than upper League One?

I will retain an open mind BUT the WestHam connection can only hinder him and will basically mean he has no wriggle room for a bad start.

• June 5, 2013 at 18:22

Lonz - I agree completely with all the points made in your post. Lomas isn't my choice but he ahould be given a chance. According to the St Johnstone website he had 10 players out of contract at the beginning of the 2012 season yet he rebuilt the team to finish 3rd. As well as the English club connections you mention he has probably seen a few promising players in the SPL as well that we might be able to sign cheaply. His task is made more difficult with the squad he has been left with. I only consider Forde, Shittu, Beevers, Lowry and Henry to be Championship standard plus possibly Trotter and Keogh if they regain their 2011/2012 season form. That's only 7 players and most of the sub standard one are still under contract. HE WILL NEED THE FAN'S FULL SUPPORT!!!

• June 5, 2013 at 21:49

Totally agree with everything that denslions has written, however, I can't help but feel a little bit disappointed by the appointment, given the names that were being banded about. Still, KJ was relatively untested when he arrived, so let's hope that Lomas proves to be as good an appointment.

• June 5, 2013 at 18:24

Worked with Harry for years, so he should know a thing or two about transfer deals!!!!!!

• June 5, 2013 at 18:28

Give him a chance he aunt even accepted the job yet.

• June 5, 2013 at 19:12

@westlion: Did you say his aunt has accepted the job, OMG we are stuffed.

• June 5, 2013 at 18:35

agree give him a chance, mentioned earlier what if he turns us down? then who?

• June 5, 2013 at 18:36

This may have already been said above, but the official announcement is that the club are 'seeking permission' to speak with Lomas, which implies that he didn't apply for the job (or does it?). Does this mean that those interviewed weren't up to scratch as AA had previously said that we wouldn't approach managers currently in jobs until the applicant process was exhausted. It may also mean that Lomas isn't the done deal we all expect and that the club are just weighing up all options before making their decision. Confused? I know I am.

• June 6, 2013 at 11:15

@lion.ie: it says 'granted permission' not 'seeking permission to talk to him. It's probably because he has applied for the job but is still under contract and therefor we will need to agree a compensation fee with the club and have no right to talk to him directly unless with have St Johnstons say so

• June 5, 2013 at 18:38

It's a done deal

• June 5, 2013 at 18:39

I have been going to the Den since the late sixties and watched some great football and good teams. I like everyomne else have also had to endure some dreadful football and poor management. John Docherty took Millwall up to the then first division largely due to a good youth set up which was created before him. Teddy Sheringham, Alan Mcleary, Ben Thatcher and many more came through the youth ranks. Docherty had little money to spend. It was largely due to some shrewd scouting that Docherty built that team. However within two seasons the team were relegated. Docherty went and disaster followed.
    Lomas if he is appointed should be given a chance, he seems to be keen, and ambitious. He is not an idiot or else he would not have have taken St Johnston to third place in the SPL. When George Graham was appointed manager he too came in for a lot of flak because of his managerial inexperience but he did great for the club and buit from the back.

I hope this turns out to be a good appointment (assuming it happens) if not then we live to fight another day.

• June 5, 2013 at 18:58

@Peckhamlad:
      The Doc actually spent £500,000 plus on Tony Cascarino, Kevin O'Callaghan, George Lawrence and Steve Wood having already brought in Terry Hurlock towards the end of the previous season.
      In those days that was a pretty tidy sum - easily the biggest summer spending spree in Millwall's history - but they were indeed, very shrewd signings. Docherty and McLintock new exactly how they wanted to play and got the players they needed to make it work.
      Let's hope Lomas can do the same!!!

• June 5, 2013 at 20:46

@Lonz:
        Kevin O Callaghan came up from the youth team. Those youth players (who won the FA youth cup)
        played a significant role in that promotion winning team. It is fair to say that Docherty had more money to spend than Jacket

• June 5, 2013 at 23:31

@Peckhamlad:
          Cally was a product of our youth team, but he left for Ipswich in 1980 and was at Portsmouth when Docherty bought him back for a second spell at The Den.

• June 6, 2013 at 10:45

@Lonz: You are right, my memory fades me. Tony Kinsella was another good midfielder from that youth side.

• June 5, 2013 at 18:48

• June 5, 2013 at 19:38

@Strood Lion: Ain't a jock? I'd take a jock all day long going by this list:

Sir Alex Ferguson

Willie Waddell

George Graham

Davie Moyes

Jim Mclean

Walter Smith

Bill Shankly

Bill Struth

Sir Matt Busby

Jock Stein

John Docherty

Kenny Dalgleish (spell one)

Graham Souness

Etc

• June 6, 2013 at 08:15

you are obviously a jock get real all the guys lisited have had dosh to spend this is MILLWALL @JonnyBanks:

• June 5, 2013 at 19:24

Are we forgetting Billy Bonds took charge ? I know there was no internet forums then , but we seemed to roll with it.

• June 5, 2013 at 19:56

Sounds like a load on here have been looking for an excuse to go shopping with the boss on a Saturday afternoon.......I'll be down the Den , we got what we could afford.....and you stay at home shits won't make it any better.

• June 5, 2013 at 20:45

So now the knot becomes unravelled and these Ambler comments now make sense.
    It seems to me that Babbel genuinely withdrew his application and whoever Berylson interviewed in France obviously didn't impress. McLeish, Coyle didn't apply in my opinion.
    Personally, I couldn't give a s*** if Lomas is an ex West Ham player. He's not exactly Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters etc. He was a professional footballer who played for West Ham and earnt a living.
    He has done a very, very good job in Scotland with a small budget and that's been based not only on his coaching skills but also his management abilities. Kean, Wise and god forbid Gallen are now history and that has to be a positive. The weak link is his ability to attract the right player but that will come with the right amount of money and the first signing is going to be very important ie: Morison not some 'hard as nails' centre forward from Bonny Scotland. Crawford rings a bell here. The Scottish Premier league is akin to the same level as the Championship and he cannot do any worse than the last 6 months of Jackett's tenure. I'm positive about his management skills, his ability to motivate players and hopefully to see s**** in our current squad.More power to him if he gets the job and he does deserve our full support because it has to be one of the toughest jobs in Football. If you get the job Steve, then good luck and welcome aboard.

• June 5, 2013 at 20:47

Looked at the link that Windy sent. Yes i'll have some of that firebrand and passion. The s*** in the Palarse dressing room at Brighton will be nothing compared to what that lazy b****** Trotter will do when he gets hold of him. Whoever gets the job lets just get behind them.

• June 5, 2013 at 20:51

Windsor, I like that. A bit of fire and passion. when was the last time we saw that ?
      Kean can f*** off to Chelsea, Gallen to the midlands and Wise can continue to count the redundancy money he's earnt elsewhere doing nothing much at all.
      @Windsor Lion:

• June 5, 2013 at 21:58

Here's to Steve Lomas getting the job, a 100 points next season, gates up to 14k plus and a bright and powerful future. Here's to Millwall for all the good times that now lay ahead. Here's to the future. Have some faith. Ther's no point in being Millwall otherwise. Wear that Lion with pride and believe, because nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough.
    The future is blue and white my sons.

• June 5, 2013 at 22:16

With a little bit of ginger! Lol.

• June 5, 2013 at 22:34

@Swanny: I always thought you were strawberry blonde mate!!

• June 6, 2013 at 08:16

@walshy: as a ginge I can only say that this is just one more step to World Domination......beware those that mock us!

• June 6, 2013 at 10:20

Ha ha. I thought you might pipe up!

• June 6, 2013 at 09:35

@NICKOLA: I think you should have been giving the half time talks Nick, I feel inspired already.

• June 5, 2013 at 22:39

Right rant over cause the a******* that I am I will always rant over something I don't like from the word go. Now it's only right to give my positive opinion as there's always two sides rightly or wrongly.
    European qualification in first two seasons as a league manager - tick.
    The ability to to be positive with little or no money at all ( SJ have an average attendance of around 3k) - tick
    The ability to keep mediocre players motivated to compete consistently - tick
    The ability to convince mediocre players that if they believe in themselves as well as himself then they can again achieve a credible league finish and make a better go of Europe than last time out - tick
    To be a nice enough bloke that his chairman has appreciated all his efforts and will not hold him back to further his career back down south. To me it says a lot about him.
    Speaking to a hearts supporter at work he reckons its a fare assessment that if lomas signs for us he'll be coming to a club twice the size but in a division 3/4 times the size of the spl he likens it to league one at best barring Celtic. He also thinks considering SJ size and stature he has done a remarkable job and although he's played for west ham he obviously doesn't support them otherwise he'd turn it down. I couldn't agree with him more tbh and looking at it it's nowhere near as controversial as bonds or back to Scotland
    Mo Johnstone. For those too young ask your dads or uncles it was more a no no than millwall - west ham.
    So I have to give him a chance as I'm millwall.
    And you'll kill me for it and yes I might be going soft. This could be a blessing in disguise as its a huge bold brave decision maybe not in terms of moving forwards on the playing front but behind the scenes. If we're to move on and into the 21st century then we need to steer clear of all the s**** that hinders us in the stands. Unfortunately the world has gone mad and what once was deemed as banter is now deemed as a personal attack/insult and the powers that be do not want it in the stands or in society anymore, it has held us back for yrs and we must have missed out on millions in sponsorship over the yrs. in order to move onwards it has to come from the top first and in employing an ex hamster shows willing. It can only be a good thing if we let it.
    I will always hate wet spam as much as I hate the colour red but do I want my little un to be hindered and tarnished with the same brush too right I don't.
    If the club and lomas are brave enough to give it a go then so will I. Lets put an end to this circus and expect the worst but definately hope for the best. Christ knows how many s*** millwall teams I've seen over the yrs so one more aint gonna kill anyone.
    Good luck lomas. I have a sneaky feeling your gonna needs s*** loads of it and if it is you then you certainly have some b***** mate so that alone must count for something.

• June 5, 2013 at 23:08

@lukesmithmfc: well said luke , as i have said before he his not every ones first choice , but to me he seems like the type of bloke that can take all thats thrown at him , being at west ham for 6 years , he must have it rammed in his head the hate for us , now dont that tell you that he has some nuts not only to think about taking the job , you got to give him that , i think he will try extra hard to win us over , he has shown as a player he takes no crap , and has passion , if he takes the job for me he is millwall now , our gain is westhams loss past is past

• June 5, 2013 at 23:28

@munson68: why not muns
        Why not?
        We ain't got a say anyway but that's the beauty of this site.
        I'm getting too old and soft to let something like this effect me like it did earlier.
        Hopefully this young lad from Maidstone is the cf we've been craving.
        Cause it looks more realistic than signing one.
        I hope the transfer funds don't go to his head as he's had FA up there.

• June 5, 2013 at 23:42

@lukesmithmfc:
      Marvellous mega rant, Luke. Wembley was a disaster for the club and appointing Lomas proves that the board are not going to pander to the lunatic fringe. I've zero idea if he'll turn out to be a good appointment or not, but if agrees to join us it will prove he's got plenty of bottle.

• June 6, 2013 at 00:13

Don't know about anybody else but I'm really geared up for all the stories and debate regarding the new St. Johnstone manager......lol

• June 6, 2013 at 00:17

Don't care what anyone thinks, I'm gonna have my say. Ambler you're a c***! Anti-climax don't even come close to how I feel. How the board have got the nerve to appoint a f***ing vermin c*** is beyond me! Absolutely gutted. An immense feeling of betrayal particularly after letting clement slip through our fingers. Lomas? Who the f*** is Lomas?? Ambler said the candidate has to get us. He must have championship experience. This is an utterly botched appointment & I for one won't be giving it my blessing. Wronguns, the lot of 'em!

• June 6, 2013 at 06:45

I hope the club takes note of the 112 comments on this thread to get a rough idea of the popularity of a Lomas appointment. P****** off your fans before an important season is something I doubt Ambler is worried about but Berylson seems a like a genuine bloke.
    Personally I cannot see Lomas leaving a club that'll play champions league next season (not that it was difficult to reach, in that goldfish bowl league north of the border) so all this ranting will likely be over nothing.
    Is there really anyone out there that ticks all the boxes though? Toughest criteria to fill is to be liked, or even just accepted by Millwall fans. We're never easy to please and rightly so.

• June 6, 2013 at 08:49

Iv slept on the idea, and I think that if he wants to become Millwall's new manager then give it to him. The names linked to the job previously are now being linked with the Wigan job, so it was all hype anyway. Personally I wanted Warnock, but that rumour died a death a long with all the others, So if Lomas is interested and want's to do well for our club, then I say good luck to him.

• June 6, 2013 at 09:20

I think the anti-west ham stuff is an overreaction, he's hardly in the same league as the Billy Bonds appointment and, personally, when I hear the name Steve Lomas I think more of the Man City kid that was tipped to be the next big thing but never was. As for it being an anti-climax, who did we genuinely think was going to get the job? I don't think McLeish, Babbel or Warnock was realistic, just a smokescreen put up by a combination of the club, bookies and media. Even if one of those had got the job, plenty of us would have complained - and even then, who's to say it would have worked out?
    Can anyone remember the uproar when it was rumoured that George Burley was in the frame to be our manager and how we blamed the club for a lack of ambition for not getting him? He ended up at palace and it was a disaster. Not to mention the negative reaction to Holloway and Pulis being interested when we eventually gave the job to Spackman.
    My main concern with this is it's 1996 all over again. Last season we came very close to repeating that year's feat of getting relegated on the last day with a record number of points despite being in the promotion shake-up at Xmas - and now, just as we did in 96, we're looking to a young manager who has some short-term success in Scotland but none at all at the level we're playing at. It's worrying that it could be Jimmy Nicholl part 2, but that is only superstition, we just have to hope that it will work out OK because it looks like we've got to get on with it.
    Finally, as for relegation being a certainty next season, was anyone really that confident of us not having a relegation battle next year under Jackett anyway? I honestly think that he felt, with the limited funds available (which may have been further limited if rumours about lost sponsorship after the Wembley trouble are to be believed) and his luck/contacts in the loan market seemingly running out, we were going to struggle and Wolves almost certainly sounded him out well before the end of the season when they appeared to be on their way down, it's just the way the game goes. Don't give up Lions fans; don't abandon the club when they need you the most; don't will the new man to fail simply because he played for that lot for a few years! Get behind the team and show Steve Lomas just how much better we are than west ham.

• June 6, 2013 at 10:06

@mervpayne: Nicely put Merv, as I have stated in the past while we are in the championship we will always be in a relegation battle who ever manages us. We are a small club in what has become a big boys division. We will flirt with the top 6 at best but due to the lack of depth of quality we will never be able to sustain it. I see eventual relegation and then promotion battles from div 1.
      The roller coaster called Millwall will continue to roll. It will be emotional, disappointing, frustrating, exciting, thrilling but it will never be dull, so come on you lions lets enjoy the ride.

• June 6, 2013 at 10:21

Sealion,
        Nay, nay and thrice nay. What's all this negativity ?
        The only way is up!! We've still got some very good players- The squad needs a major overhaul but someone with fire in his guts and a bit of steel in his backbone (Lomas) is going to sort that lot out make no mistake.
        @Sealion:

• June 6, 2013 at 11:01

@NICKOLA: Hi Nick, not trying to be negative but realistic.
          Like many on here have been a fan since late 60's so have seen most aspects of MFC.
          The heart breaks and the moments of shear joy, the great teams and the poor ones.
          There's no getting away from the fact that the Championship is getting more like the prem and is getting harder to compete with the big clubs.
          We have always been a yoyo club for as long as I can remember but in this financial climate at the club I can't see that changing. But the positive thing I have tried to get across is that after a failure we usually bounce back.
          I would like to wish the new Manager and staff all the best for the future and after my initial reservations I think that he could be the man that this club needs.
          I am now looking forward to the new season, its been an emotional few months.

• June 6, 2013 at 10:29

whoever we named as manager wouldnt have been right for the numptys out there! if it was Mcleish it would be wrong! if it was kean it would be wrong! if it was the wally with the brolly it would have been wrong! the list goes on and on.
    We have Lomas he obviouslly has the balls, lets get behind the club after all it is our beloved MILLWALL!!! COYL

• June 6, 2013 at 10:55

According to today's news Harry Redknap is getting the hump at QPR. he would be my first choice of manager if Millwall ever had the resources. But that is wishful thinking. If Lomas is to be the manager I hope he can bring in a decent forward or two.

• June 6, 2013 at 11:15

Redknapp has got the hump as there isn't the money he wants to spend. Never going to be a Millwall manager.
      @Peckhamlad:

• June 6, 2013 at 11:24

@Peckhamlad: Redknapp is a sh** manager, who has only ever succeeded when he has a huge pot of cash, and even then (e.g. QPR) he doesn't guarantee success. I hope he never enters the mind of the club hierarchy as a potential manager of Millwall

• June 6, 2013 at 11:34

peckhamlad i totally agree he would put us in a world of s*** JB has done well to steady the ship@junkmale:

• June 6, 2013 at 11:40

Some comments from St Johnstone fans (from BBC website):
    'I'd be disappointed to see him leave. Understandable if he did decide to go as he is far more likely to continue progressing in the English leagues. A very capable manager. Wasn't sure at first, but gets the best from players, is hungry and honest in his approach. '
    'Being Scottish iv seen a lot of the football up here. When he first came I didnt know much about SL as a coach and wasnt sure how good he will be. He seems to get the best out of a distinctly average bunch. 2 European finishes in 2 years suggests consistency. Could def do a lot worse.'

• June 6, 2013 at 11:52

@Strood Lion: I'm big enough to admit I'm wrong. But only if proved so.

• June 6, 2013 at 11:50

When the waters turn tranquil, perhaps we'll see a sea change in opinion?

• June 6, 2013 at 11:54

@NO1LIKESUS: Are you Eric Cantona in disguise ? lol.

• June 6, 2013 at 12:14

@Sealion:

Haha! Thought I'd give a different perspective on it.

• June 6, 2013 at 12:15

Courage is the master of fear.

• June 6, 2013 at 12:30

A little water is a sea to an ant

• June 6, 2013 at 13:12

@junkmale:Let's hope Lomas ain't that ant! Full of sharks too.

• June 6, 2013 at 12:40

I’m not one to go on fan sites but after reading so many comments about the coming appointment I just felt I had to put in my two penn’orth.

First of all I welcome comments such as those from Lonz And Denslions and say that I hope that the views of the more negative rants are not representative of the whole of the Millwall fan base.

A few things are self-evident. We simply DO NOT KNOW what happens behind the scenes. Nearly all of what has been written is speculation fuelled by gossip in the media, in the betting office, in the pub from someone who knows someone who works with someone whose niece works at the Den etc. It is also fuelled by blind prejudice (i.e. prejudgment) based on whether a person has played for West Ham or has red hair.

I’d put this question for everybody who is a football fan to consider: who is the most important single person at a club? (the fans are the most important collectively)

I would suggest that it is the Chair, not the manager. It is the Chair who appoints the manager and indeed helps to determine the composition of the board. It is the Chair who has the overview of the strategy for the club. A bad Chair and the club goes downhill very fast as we have seen at numerous clubs over recent years, and as we were seeing at The Den before John Berylson came along, when we were playing our own version of Musical Chairs which could have led to the club being sold down the river, almost literally, in the interests of property speculation. JB has proved himself to be a good bloke, basically. He dealt with the boardroom shenanigans, he has learned the game, fully acknowledging his ignorance of it before he came. He has learned the culture of the club, and has defended it to the hilt, in spite of the number of knockbacks we and he have received. He communicates well with the fans - and if you believe that him going back to Boston this week shows some lack of application I would ask how else is he meant to combine his life over in the US with his life over here, to which he has put in a massive amount of time, emotional energy and MONEY! That he should be accused of penny pinching and doing things on the cheap, given his substantial financial contribution and his business acumen, is frankly absurd, and again, is based on virtually zero hard evidence.

I would so much rather trust the judgment of JB who is actually in a position to make such a judgment, as opposed to the people contributing on this site who simply CAN’T KNOW what has been going on, or who interviewed well etc. Yes, of course it’s a risk when you appoint a new person in a key role, but I very much doubt that JB and his team have not taken into consideration such factors as whether a candidate’s experience (e.g. in the SPL) will transfer to the requirements of the Championship. They will also have looked at their success or otherwise in terms of say, win ratios. They will have looked at whether they have the right qualities to work within a tight budget, and they will have made an assessment of their man management skills, based on testimonials, references etc. They will also be in a better position to know whether some of the people on fans’ wish lists were ever viable options (excessive compensation demands, candidates not wanting to live in the UK - who knows what might have barred some of the options named?)

They may or may not have come to the right decision, and the appointee may or may not be successful. Frankly, with gates of 10000 we are going to need someone with very special set of skills to do well with us (KJ did have most of what was needed and I actually think he lost the rub of the green towards the end, with the loss of Afobe who looked promising and Taylor and Chaplow, but I digress). And who do I trust best to set out a vision for increasing our attendance which will in turn improve our financial viability and our ability to compete? Well, certainly it wouldn’t be the voices of some of those on this site, and for the moment I can’t see a better person for the job than John Berylson.

One last word on Andy Ambler. As far as I’m aware he was seen to have done a pretty good job at Fulham whose supporters appreciated him, and here too he hasn’t done at all badly in overall financial terms, (yes I know he has met with criticism over some ticketing decisions). It surely can’t be ok to call him every name under the sun on these forums. Imagine if he were to reply in kind?

So let’s get behind whoever we appoint rather than let our fan base diminish still further because we can’t come to watch our team if the man in the dugout happens to be an ex-West Ham player with ginger hair! And who knows, it may not end up being Steve Lomas anyway!

• June 6, 2013 at 13:41

@waterloolion: Totally agree about Ambler. His job is a poison chalice at the best of times and he seems to have sorted out a number of problems including the financials.

• June 6, 2013 at 12:42

PS Just seen today's Standard saying Lomas is set to be appointed today. Still only paper talk of course, but it does sound like it's going to happen . . .

• June 6, 2013 at 14:14

To be honest people, I think you have got to give the fella a chance. The problem is, half of these 'millwall' fans are deluded and are living off old reputation. Just because he's ex west ham, doesn't mean he wouldn't do a good job. I can't wait for him to prove every one wrong and to be honest, I think its a move in the right direction. We need a different approach and it may help us by bringing in different types of players to KJ.

• June 6, 2013 at 20:10

It's confirmed gonna be first to say it wasnt any where near first choice for me but good luck ginge nothing will make them c**** choke more than you doing well for us

• June 6, 2013 at 20:13

Confirmed on sky sports, the ginger ninja from over the thames it is, he had better put his heart and soul into the WALL!!!!!!!