Former Millwall manager Kenny Jackett offered Wolves job

© Michael Langdon
© Michael Langdon

FORMER Millwall manager Kenny Jackett has been offered the chance to become the new head coach at Wolves, NewsAtDen understands.

The League One club will have to agree a compensation package with the Lions before they can finalise Jackett's appointment as he is technically still under contract at The Den.

But the 51-year-old is set for an instant return to management after impressing in three separate interviews with the Molineux board. He has seen off competition from Crewe's Steve Davis and Brentford's Uwe Rosler to land the role.

Jackett stepped down as Millwall boss at the start of month, saying he felt he needed a "new challenge", but his resignation was not linked to the Wolves job, which became available on the same day after Dean Saunders was sacked.

44 thoughts on “Former Millwall manager Kenny Jackett offered Wolves job

• May 30, 2013 at 20:10

Good luck to you Kenny 🙂

• May 30, 2013 at 20:11

Good luck, Kenny. Hope he does well, those Wolves fans deserve more and KJ deserves a championship club.

• May 30, 2013 at 20:19

Ditto, did a good job for us. Bloody shame he wasn't given a descent budget. Who knows what he would have achieved. Good luck K.J.

• May 30, 2013 at 20:39

@hants lion:
      It certainly was a budget in descent!

• May 30, 2013 at 20:24

KJ is the man to get Wolves out of League one. Good luck to him. I wonder who he will sign from us 1st ?

• May 30, 2013 at 22:16

Batt, Marquis, N'Guessen, Woolford, Easter and Osborne hopefully.
      @blk8:

• May 30, 2013 at 20:26

I was thinking about this earlier and this news has strengthened my opinion in that our board may have been holding back to see what was going on with KJ. Some might disagree completely and say we shouldn't make decisions based on what goes on elsewhere, but it does happen with player transfers so why not managers where compo is involved.
    Just a theory...

• May 30, 2013 at 21:10

You might be right.
      It's obvious to me that the Wolves board would have already approached us about compensation. Maybe that's why we haven't yet approached Lomas as he's got a year left on his contract. I feel sorry for those applicants that have already been interviewed as it must be as bad for them as it is for us with the wait to find out.
      Here's hoping for a swift conclusion, the right choice for Millwall with all that entails and support for whoever gets the job because once decided we aren't going to be able to change it.

@Swanny:

• May 30, 2013 at 20:30

This might help finalise a move for a contracted manager over a redundant one now there's some cash coming our way and bring any decision forward.

• May 30, 2013 at 20:33

@Swanny: Swanny, they'll appoint somebody next week. That's what the Board said from day one. I don't see a lot wrong with how it's being handled.

• May 30, 2013 at 20:38

Me neither, I'm just offering it up for debate.

• May 30, 2013 at 20:48

@Swanny: Sorry, misread your post! Glad I'm not the only one losing the plot.

• May 30, 2013 at 20:49

@lion.ie: I meant NOT losing the plot! Fk me, think I'll sign off for the night!

• May 30, 2013 at 21:10

Lol, good night mate!

• May 30, 2013 at 20:41

Good Luck to Kenny Jackett. An honourable man who deserves to stay in football.

• May 30, 2013 at 20:55

Echo the sentiments above. Thanks for the last 5 years and good luck in your new job.

• May 30, 2013 at 21:02

KJ. All of the above. A rare decent bloke in the sport!

• May 30, 2013 at 21:58

Best manager we've had in years. Good luck until you play us next!

I hope we are interested in Davis & Rosler - would be very telling if they were interested in the Wolves job, but not in us.

• May 30, 2013 at 22:01

Stan, If I were them, I'd have applied for both. I don't have an issue with that. They want to work.
      @StanLDN:

• May 30, 2013 at 23:01

@NICKOLA: Huh? They are both in jobs already.

I'm saying I hope Millwall are considering Rosler and Davis for the manager's job because this article makes it sound like they have been interviewed for the Wolves job - and therefore are 'available'. I've not really heard their names mentioned recently in connection with us, especially not Davis.

• May 30, 2013 at 23:04

Stan, when I said they want to work I didn't mean they were unemployed. I meant they want to better themselves.@StanLDN:

• May 30, 2013 at 22:04

not exactly a shock is it . . this was in the bag before he went I reckon . . they just gave it a few weeks for the dust to settle before going public with it

• May 31, 2013 at 08:04

@Fingers: Yes, I agree with that Fingers. I hope he does well though except when they play us. I also hope he takes Gallen with him.

• May 30, 2013 at 22:11

good luck to him , thanks for the good times , wonder how long it is till gallen follows him to wolves , lets hope the board make the right choice and get a manager that can carry on the good work that kj has done , lets hope he signs n , guessan .

• May 30, 2013 at 22:19

I will personally drive Gallen to Wolverhampton.
      @munson68:

• May 30, 2013 at 22:23

@NICKOLA: i wouldnt drive him to wolves , 3 hours in a car hearing his voice would have me fast asleep.

• May 30, 2013 at 22:42

I could do it based on a one way trip trust me.
          @munson68:

• May 30, 2013 at 22:14

Cheers KJ for some really good times.
    Good luck and hope it goes really well for you but obviously not at our expense.
    Ps. I understand you've put your two pence in for our new manager, I hope it's a sensible one and not a cop out.
    I also hope the club don't play hard ball over the compensation, maybe a player or two for a sweetener aye ken ; )

• May 30, 2013 at 23:28

Luke, you are the man to approach about finances. I know we're a PLC but figures are conveniently hidden.
      What was Jackett's annual salary at Millwall in your opinion ?

@lukesmithmfc:

• May 31, 2013 at 08:40

@NICKOLA: nick I can't see him being on more than 10 k a week which is just over 500k a yr i reckon he was somewhere between 350-500k but then judging by his compensation package in his rolling contract which according to Alex Aldridge is similar to Sean dyches at 1m, if based soley on salary then that will put him on just under 20k per week but I don't believe his salary is that high.

• May 31, 2013 at 08:43

Thanks. That means then that we could afford Dyche if he's interested.
          @lukesmithmfc:

• May 30, 2013 at 22:16

Good luck kenny you just might need all you can get there mate. Here is a great shout what about appointing KJ if the next manger f*** s up

• May 30, 2013 at 22:51

Yep good luck Kenny, you were good for Millwall and we will benefit from your work for years to come.

• May 30, 2013 at 23:00

Good luck Kenny, you where actually s*** for the last few months but overall you done us proud......it was time for a change

• May 30, 2013 at 23:40

I wish him well, I only have good memory's of Jackett.

• May 30, 2013 at 23:40

Forget about Rosler. Berylson has obviously seen the videoclips of him urinating on the sidelines. He`s not the sort of manager we`re looking for.

• May 30, 2013 at 23:48

I'd rather have a future manager known for urinating on the sidelines as opposed to a Millwall board that s*** on their fans.
      @Lion of the North:

• May 31, 2013 at 05:25

Jackett is obviously to be praised for his work at Millwall. We were in an embarrassing mess when he took over.
    He got us into the Championship and that was a great achievement for him. However he lost it after his poor choices in the January transfer window this year and we were spinning out of control and could easily have been relegated on the last day. He always struggled with forward / attacking players and the Swansea fans were right about him in that he got the team to a basically good standard but couldn't really push it on a consistent basis to over achieve.
    Towards the end he made several references to Millwall "punching above its weight" but I am not convinced he was able to handle the more expensive players. He surely can't fail with Wolves in L1 as he will have a massive budget and it will be interesting to see how he does but now I hope we ruin his day when he play him again

• May 31, 2013 at 07:06

It goes to show how sick kj must of been with the board if he's happy to take a step backward and turn his back on years worth of work. Aa if your reading this take note,
    My advice is the to the next manager is ask kj off the record why he left.

• May 31, 2013 at 08:22

Good luck to him.

• May 31, 2013 at 10:35

If our new manager has a bit more money to spend than Kenny did then I think that's a bit out of order . It will be interesting to see what he does at wolves bearing in mind they will receive 16 million squid this year in there parachute payment from the premiership?

• May 31, 2013 at 14:23

@the verminhater: Its not right all these parachute payments.
      Maybe for the 1st season so they can get there house in order but after that they should be on their own it is totally unfair on the smaller clubs and I don't just mean us. Its the smaller clubs that need the help.
      Its hard enough competing with the bigger clubs as it is but then giving them large bundles of cash for failing doesn't seem right. Its just pigs at the trough.

• May 31, 2013 at 11:56

I dont know why people are shocked that Jackett would go to Wolves, it's not a step down, it's a step up. Look at Southampton and Norwich, I can see Wolves getting in the playoffs at least next year,and possibly another promotion after that, Wolves are his biggest club to date, big crowds, big budgets.

Last season wasnt a disastarous season as most people seem to make out, we were 4 wins off from a playoff spot, which could have easily been achieved had we got a decent striker in. I think we could have made a decent push this year had Jackett stayed. We just need that bit of luck, like Blackpool had, and i dont beleive there is much difference between us and Palace, we more than matched them last year, just they took a punt on a few players and now theyre premier league, 2 seasons after nearly going down and going out of business.

• May 31, 2013 at 15:47

Was he 'tapped up' after Wembley?

I thought he was OK but his substitutions sometimes lacked imagination and he kept buying three nobody's instead of one somebody.

He cannot fail at Wolves they are apart from the Blades a monster club in League 1 and the budget will see them through.