Ambler: Millwall willing to pay compensation for manager

© Kieran Galvin
© Kieran Galvin

CHIEF executive Andy Ambler insists Millwall are prepared to pay compensation for their new manager if they believe the right man is at another club.

The Lions are considering a number of candidates from League One and League Two for the position, vacated by Kenny Jackett earlier this month, and Ambler says the board are willing to fund a deal for someone already in a job.

Millwall will seek permission to interview a manager under contract elsewhere before taking their interest in him any further, Ambler added.

"We'll do things properly," he said. "We are going to be consistent with how we would want to be dealt with. We'll make sure people who are interviewed are done so in the right way.

"But we're not afraid of paying compensation if we have to – we had to do that for Kenny when he left Manchester City.

"If we think someone at another club is the right man for the job, we'll deal with that."

The Lions, who are aiming to make an appointment within the next ten days, started interviewing last week. Candidates met with a three-man panel consisting of chairman John Berylson and directors Trevor Keyse and Constantine Gonticas.

Ambler said: "The people that are seriously in our thoughts will already have done their homework on us in terms of which players they do and don’t rate in the squad.

"They are the sort of people that will impress in an interview – the ones that can say 'this is what I would like to do if you gave me these tools'. That’s what we want to hear.

"The players are back on June 27 and I’d like to think the new manager would have a couple of weeks to find his feet before they start pre-season."

53 thoughts on “Ambler: Millwall willing to pay compensation for manager

• May 27, 2013 at 10:28

That statement seems a bit of a setback to all them stocking up on leiderhosen and coming in their pants that Babbel has got the job already

On the other hand - is Andy Ambler a man of his word.

• May 27, 2013 at 11:26

Every time I see an Ambler interview it's always not what I want to hear! Think this statement shows no ambition from the club someone like Babbel I think would be great! From this it'll be Aidy Boothroyd or someone like that!

• May 27, 2013 at 11:27

Apparently when the groundsmen turnt up this morning babbel had already layed his towel on the bench!

• May 27, 2013 at 11:29

Oh to have a crystal ball. What does that statement mean exactly? Is he talking about Dyche ?
    I really hope he's not talking about League 1 or 2 managers. Has Berylson actually interviewed anyone in Paris ?
    Interesting to me that Ambler wasn't even on the three man panel so is he talking out of his a*** ?
    Christ I can't stand this much longer.

• May 27, 2013 at 14:25

Hope this means they want Dyche.

• May 27, 2013 at 11:30

Now I am totally confused. One minute we are scouting around Europe looking at managers with European Championship experience, then we are back to league one or two. I just hope someone knows what they are doing.

• May 27, 2013 at 16:50

@rikkiatwall: its all smoke and mirrors folks, deception is the best form of distraction. I would not pay much attention to anything until they actually announce the placement. Just enjoy the banter and speculation for what it is.

• May 27, 2013 at 11:34

The American President is elected and in office quicker than Millwall can secure a new manager.
    I was full of hope but now utterly despondent. Smells like a total cop-out to me.

• May 27, 2013 at 11:45

I'd far sooner they took some time and got a good manager that was right for the job and the club - rather than pandering to the five minute mob. Far as I'm concerned it's a serious position and therefore needs some serious consideration rather than jumping in feet first as most of you are screeching for.

How difficult it is to get the right manager is illustrated by the league tables every year.

• May 27, 2013 at 12:21

Our inability to have the right manager and the right players was reflected in the Championship table last year.
      Players are being released by clubs at this very moment and yet, guess what ? We don't have a manager in situ. to sign them.
      @Old_Les:

• May 27, 2013 at 13:05

@NICKOLA:

Don't be silly - there are plenty of players out there available and will be for months. Get the right manager in and he'll get the right players - get the wrong manager (the most likely outcome) and he'll get the wrong players.

• May 27, 2013 at 22:35

@NICKOLA: the decent players among those being released wont be signing for the first team that calls their agent. They will wait to start a bidding war on wages etc

• May 27, 2013 at 16:51

@Old_Les: too true Les, lets let them go through the process and make the right decision. No need to rush with so many good managers looking to get their first big break in the Championship.

• May 27, 2013 at 11:54

Why dont they get a manager who has no job and spend wot they are considering to use on compensation for manager to save lewisham hospital 🙂

• May 27, 2013 at 11:56

Totally confused by all these conflicting statements being made. First was that we would initially consider out of work or out of contract Managers. Then Berylson stated that he wouldn't upset other clubs by contacting Managers under contract.He then stated he was going to Europe and the appointment could be a surprise which indicated someone was already in mind. Now we get this statement that League 1 and 2 Managers under contract could be approached, so were any ot them on the short list? I can't see any Managers in these leagues who would be worth considering other than Uwe Rosler who missed out on promotion with Brentford. Ambler also indicates that a new Manager would have assessed the squad by 29 June when they return from holiday and know who he wants and doesn't want. By this time all the players freed by other clubs will already have been snapped up. For f**** sake get it all sorted out because at this rate the season is over before it starts!!! AND IT IS DOING MY HEAD IN!!!

• May 27, 2013 at 16:11

Please not Uwe Rosler. I remember him urinating on the sidelines while managing Viking.

• May 27, 2013 at 12:18

Now that's more like the wall I know and love. Now they want to pay for a league one or two manager wooooooo hooooooo, that's ambition babbbbbyyy yeeeeeeaaahhh.
    Well now my sack has been refilled I'm going to stock up on the man size and lose myself in the wonderful world of fantasy and read about ze German Babble.

• May 27, 2013 at 12:24

Looks like you're bordering on being dillusional there Luke.
      Think you've caught that from ambler who has his head so far up his a*** he thinks he can smell roses.
      @lukesmithmfc:

• May 27, 2013 at 12:54

Ambler is just mucking around. He thinks its productive to confuse his own fanbase when a bit of clarity might encourage season ticket sales. Ambler is really enjoying it and seems to want it to last as long as possible. The fact that he has made a further confusing statement may mean that he thinks the truth has leaked out already with Babbel or McKleish

• May 27, 2013 at 13:04

@lioncall:

Possibly a good point in there and perhaps even the truth regarding who the manager is/will be. But whatever he says doesn't affect ST sales in the long run -if someone comes in who seems a good appointment who then splashes on some players who seem good then ST sales will soar at the last moment.

Lot of people like me sitting on their money until we see what happens. Never thought I'd say this but I'm fed up with all the big talk and no do coming from the club and I might just vote with my feet as many others have done.

• May 27, 2013 at 15:38

@Old_Les: you have obviously lost the joy of going down the den on a old wet Tuesday watching the Lions loose...... Man up Les

• May 27, 2013 at 12:59

By the sound of that prepare to be disappointed

• May 27, 2013 at 12:59

Sounds fair enough to me. Whilst I am like most others who think this process is taking so long it's good to know the club won't just be going for the cheap option and are considering all parties. Who ever it is won't suit everybody but nor did Kenny's appointment at the time. Board got it right last time so they deserve the patience to get it right this time.

• May 27, 2013 at 13:40

Ambler: Millwall willing to pay compensation for manager.

This is good news - there is at least half a chance we might appoint someone who knows what they are doing.....little things like knowing the L1/ Championship players/teams....loan market etc. etc. etc.
    UNLIKE BABBEL - FFS!!!

• May 27, 2013 at 15:21

Wait for it,Here it comes and the winner is ..........................................................Martin Allen of Gillingham or Steve Evans of Rotherham Big thank you Mr Ambler we could go for anyone but we will go for league 2 its cheaper.
    Come on we ALL know its going to be one of them two,God help us if it is

• May 27, 2013 at 15:32

This is a clear hint of Steve Lomas, Disappointing if true, unproven, lack of experience, no connections. Shame, so many decent managers around and we're sticking to the obvious cheap options. No progress it seems.

• May 27, 2013 at 15:40

I for one thought AA was talking sense.

Which players old he change .

Who don't you rate

Who would you bring in

What more old you ask in an interview ????

• May 27, 2013 at 16:00

The missus and I went for a walk this morning and suddenly a cloud covered the beautiful sun that we were enjoying, I think Andy Ambler has to answer for this, him and the board of directors should have known that direct sunlight was required for us to get a tan and quite frankly it smacks of the same old lack of ambition that they allowed a cloud to ruin our morning stroll. I am seriosuly reconsiderng my season ticket.....hhhhmmmmph!

• May 27, 2013 at 16:07

I had a phone call from the wall in the week .. I 4t they were gonna ask if I wanted an interview 4 the mans job, but no it was just asking if I was gonna renew my season ticket !! ...asking if I could still have it at the early bird price as been a season ticket holder 4 ages were told no & that's wot lots of people have been asking .. sounds like most season tickets holders have been voting with their feet & waiting to see who we get in!!! ...looks like it will be same old same old b***** n all the talk about big names was just a load of s*** ..it's gonna b bob from my local u 7 park team I reckon 🙁

• May 28, 2013 at 14:14

@paxoisbrilliant:

Shame - doesnt matter who the manager is - Millwall is bigger than one person and people shouldnt just renew just if they like the managers name. They should renew to support the club whatever

• May 27, 2013 at 16:25

Dob't matter who we get, renew that ticket Paxo my old son!

• May 27, 2013 at 17:22

Not very excited by the idea of Lomas. His win rate as a manager is only 39%. If we are going to have a former West Ham player as manager Martin Allen would be a much better choice, but I would ideally like Babbel or Rosler if I'm being realistic (If I'm not being realistic I would have Owen Coyle). I expect we would have to pay compo to Gillingham or Brentford.
    All-in-all I think Ambler has deliberately been vague and issued a number of statements that could be read in a number of different ways. I don't think he knows anyway, as Berylson, Keyse and Gonnticas seem to be doing the interviews.

• May 27, 2013 at 17:26

So if he knows nothing then keep it zipped

Uninspiring again from Rambler

Get a move on millwall other players are already linking up and signing free transfers

• May 27, 2013 at 17:51

Being very cynical I am beginning to wonder if some of these higher profile names previously linked with the vacancy like McLeish, McLaren and Babbel have now indicated that they are no longer interested hence the reason we are lowering our sight to League 1 and 2 Managers. If that isn't successful it will be the local Sunday League Managers next!!!

• May 27, 2013 at 18:07

Sorry fella's but it had to come didn't it? This is the big cop out. I was just polishing my german helmet up watching the Champions league final, thinking 'Babbels gonna get them mega-fit, playing for 100 minutes, they'll run and chase every last ball, the passing will be accurate, we could get some good cross-europe scouting network going' and then numpty b*llocks goes and then says this. I'd like to credit AA with business sense and media credibility, but I'm afraid I just see this as a big, fat cop-out. Hope I am wrong.

• May 27, 2013 at 18:25

@Marshlion: Are you saying the rest of your body is English but for your privates? Spooky!

• May 27, 2013 at 18:21

Off topic: (stick expected for this) Well done Palace, they should be our blueprint!!

I only have room in my existence for the hate I have for ScumHam Divided. I am pleased for Palace and the palace mates I have.

• May 27, 2013 at 19:32

@lion.ie: No no copy them. You don't have to like them one bit mate. We can't sustain our existence with fk everybody and getting lower league managers and abandoning bringing youngsters through. We need a proven boss wether we like them or not who knows what it takes to a) consolidate in the division and b) push on, get a squad who wants to be with us eventually challenge.

We do not have the luxury of saying we don't like a, b or c as boss. Palace did what they did today with in effect make a massive profit from the squad they assembled and the money made on Zaha. That's what I call a blue print.

We always sell massively cheap when we sell. We would have sold Zaha for 2-5m and would never have thought to ask for an immediate loan back..... Fact! History tells us that.

#justsaying

• May 28, 2013 at 10:22

@JonnyBanks: Palace got lucky in a bad season. They conceded the same amount of goals as us and won only four more games (only one more since the village idiot took over) and we have one of the 'worst squads' we've ever had as constantly quoted on here. Put Zaha (a once in a generation find) and Murray in our squad last season and we could well be celebrating. That's the difference in the Championship.
          Blue print my a*se, it's just smoke and mirrors.

• May 27, 2013 at 18:51

Wow, I'm relatively new to this site (which I really like btw), but I am also surprised to see that every news item is followed by an impressive shower of... moaning.
    Come on guys, AA is simply providing us with some "news" that we can discuss between us. But in reality he is not saying anything new besides the fact that we now know the names behind the selection panel.
    The status quo remains the same: we are interviewing around 5-6 candidates - both unemployed (from UK and Europe) and employed, the decision will take some time as we are not in a hurry to appoint a new manager.
    I am rather reassured than worried that they take their time with the appointment of a new manager as to me this means that the decision will be considered from several angles and at the end it will be the best one for the club considering our resources. The way it is done reveals forward and strategic thinking and that's exactly the approach that I expect when appointing a new manager.

• May 27, 2013 at 19:02

@bgwall:

Guys??

Strategic thinking??

Awesomely blue sky dude.

• May 27, 2013 at 21:24

I noticed a 'my bad' somewhere on this site ....I sincerely hope they were taking the p***.

• May 27, 2013 at 22:17

@col:
          Oops that'll be me then
          My bad lol

• May 27, 2013 at 19:50

The proof of that will be the name of the new manager. Looking like someone from the Evo-Stik league to me.
      @bgwall:

• May 27, 2013 at 20:17

Do we go for a tried and trusted manager who's been around a while ? But , with that I fear an established manager may not have the fight and desire if things go wrong. It may prove fruitful to go for an up and coming manager. I'm sure we'll all agree George Graham , Mark Mcghee & KJ where up and coming at the time and proved to be successful. As for who we get , I've honestly no idea.......Here's hoping and wishing whoever it is well.

• May 27, 2013 at 22:30

Amazing how ambler say's we will compensate why don't they look at all the guys who are actually out of a job. So when KJ wanted to strengthen the squad we had NO money well we had 1.5 Million at one stage yet f*** all when it came to it, I mean the sh1t strikers KJ had to use no wonder we were in the sh1t. Why listen to ambler the only thing he is good at is f*** ing up the membership /season ticket/ away allocation system oh and kicking out millwall fans from the club. T*****

• May 27, 2013 at 22:42

As many on here have said, season over players getting released by clubs yet we have nobody who can make decisions on these players. We will start the season as we left but without the loan players thank f***. The new manager has to come now instead all we doing is p**** footing around trying to get a cheapo manager. Well instead of putting compo in another club just up the anti and pay a guy who needs a job and who will see it as a chance to do a small club like us a favour. FFs we need it now

• May 28, 2013 at 11:29

What's the point in wasting money, look at the managers out of work already.