Ambler denies reports that Babbel has landed Millwall job

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

CHIEF executive Andy Ambler has dismissed reports that ex-Liverpool defender Markus Babbel is on the verge of being named as Millwall's new manager.

Two national newspapers claimed on Thursday that the 40-year-old had landed the job – despite the fact that interviews for the vacancy do not begin until tomorrow.

Babbel, who has previously managed Stuttgart, Hertha Berlin and Hoffenheim in Germany, is a name of interest to the Lions board, but they are not close to appointing Kenny Jackett's successor.

Chairman John Berylson has admitted European candidates will be interviewed for the post.

But Ambler told the club's official site: "It is true we now have a short list of some half a dozen candidates and the interviewing process will begin at the end of this week.

"No decision is likely to be made within the next ten days or so, and indeed I would anticipate that we would speak to some candidates more than once before we are ready to make an appointment.

"We quite understand that there is media excitement about the vacancy at a time when there is not much going on in the world of football, but our fans can rest assured that we will keep them informed if and when there are any developments.

"They should be wary of jumping to any conclusions based on what they may read or hear elsewhere. The reality is that the process is just getting underway and at this stage there is no preferred candidate."

81 thoughts on “Ambler denies reports that Babbel has landed Millwall job

• May 23, 2013 at 13:17

I'd love to see Babbel down the Den, may not be an absolute football legend but certainly has enough of a reputation to make the players that actually enjoy football listen!

• May 23, 2013 at 19:23

I dare to ask but is he too right wing, even for our fans?

• May 23, 2013 at 13:22

Babbel, I'm absolutely not interested.

• May 23, 2013 at 13:26

So, following on from that statement. Babbel it is then.

• May 23, 2013 at 13:28

Trust Ambler to put a dampener on things......When JB speaks to the media he takes from one hand but gives with another. With Ambler he takes for one hand and............................................ that's it...nothing. The guy just fills me with dread.

• May 23, 2013 at 13:32

He's currently revamping the catering. We're now going to be selling Wienerschnitzel and sauerkraut. Apparently we're also changing our name to the Berlin Wall.
      Sorry.
      @Windy:

• May 23, 2013 at 14:41

Ha ha! That's good.

• May 23, 2013 at 19:09

@NICKOLA: "Berlin Wall" Clever. I like a bit of schnitzel tbh, so things are on the up

• May 23, 2013 at 13:31

Perhaps berylson has cut you out the loop cause you don't know what ur doing ?

• May 23, 2013 at 13:37

Good shout if you ask me

• May 23, 2013 at 14:15

Hope its Babbel. Quality appointment if true.

• May 23, 2013 at 14:21

Great appointment, at a time when German football is enjoying success, out of all the people there I would like him as manager managed good teams in Germany just hop Paris thing ain't houllier

• May 23, 2013 at 15:07

@davitt den: He had a good record at leon and the French FA think highly of him, so I for one would not so no to him, but lets be serious he would not be coming to us. It just a bit of a diversion from the real core of what we need al least 4 good quality playes.

If we get the players or at least the promise that monies will be availible fpr them, then it should follow that we would get a decent manager, who will want to work with them, and have the respect of the players and also us in the ground to push us to a far better season than last season.

• May 23, 2013 at 18:30

@Barnlion: barn what did he do at Leon mate

• May 23, 2013 at 14:53

Gallen it is then.
    Mi know nothing about this babble guy, don't even remember him as a player, was he any good? A defender, hope he knows a thing or two about attacking though!

• May 23, 2013 at 18:32

@westlion: west he was a quality player mate at every club he played. Ask your dad what he thinks I'd be surprised if he said anything negative

• May 23, 2013 at 14:55

Can not see how any millwall supporter wouldnt be happy with this?!
    exciting future for a little part of south london if it happens, true he has no championship experience but the bundesliga pisses all over that

A possibility of a champions league experienced manager at millwall, I must be dreaming

• May 23, 2013 at 18:33

@banksy: second that banksy

• May 23, 2013 at 19:11

@banksy: You've not met many millwall fans then. We are world champion moaners

• May 23, 2013 at 14:57

His teams are top flight German sides, his connections could also bring in the type of technical mid fielder we are crying out for. I like it!

• May 23, 2013 at 15:08

If we could get Babbel in it would be an absolute master stroke!! Make it happen JB!!

• May 23, 2013 at 15:13

i like the idea that we have got a chairman thats prepared to even look into the european market for a manager, babble would be fantastic, with he's connections, not getting excited till it happens though, part of being a lions fan i guess, gl to whoever it is, hope they realise its gonna be a tough job for them, lets look how well wigan have done for the last few seasons, anything is possible even with a low budget, just need the right people running things

• May 23, 2013 at 15:47

Don't mention the .. 'you know what'

• May 23, 2013 at 16:34

Who was that German guy that wolves appointed at the end of last season ? Salbakken, oh got them relegated... Probably wishful thinking that his gonna do well can't see it myself, providing it happens, all this links with other clubs b******* his played for Liverpool !! Since when did we have a close relationship with them ? Tony Warner? Zak whitbread? David amoo?...
    New name to the pot kasey Keller ?

• May 23, 2013 at 17:07

@Bush:
      Erm he was Norwegian !!

No ones bigging him up cause he played for Liverpool they are saying he Aint done too shabby as a manager and will bring some much needed ideas and technical ability into the club

• May 23, 2013 at 16:42

Well , I remember him as a player. As for Management material , I'm sure he ticks all our boxes. In my opinion , the Germans are fantastic football people who breed winners and discipline. I'd be very interested to see Mr Babbel take charge. To be honest , how many of us had really heard of KJ when he was appointed ? He went on to do a wonderful job.

• May 23, 2013 at 16:49

it would be exciting . to get babbel , a nice new fresh start new ideas , i think would be a good move by the board , better option then all the old hasbins , could be a master stroke by the board. fans and players alike should be excited by this if its true.

• May 23, 2013 at 19:13

@munson68: It would indeed, but whilst we are on our vinegar strokes over this, best remember that we never get that lucky

• May 23, 2013 at 21:02

@Reg Burrs Coat Peg: yes true , leicester will jump in and offer him a job there at the last minute

• May 23, 2013 at 17:29

At least it shows ambition and a will to move the club forward.

• May 23, 2013 at 18:15

@Adsy77777:

All this talk of Babbel is internet rumour and an "exclusive" from a newspaper whose usual form is to print lies, half truths and sensationalise the trivial about Millwall - usually focussing on the fans rather than the club whenever they can stir s***.

Fail to see how rumour is a sign of ambition. There's every chance the club have never considered Babbel or him us - let alone spoken.

I'll wait until an appointment is made before I wet my knickers - or not as the case might be

• May 23, 2013 at 19:09

@Old_Les: the fact that he is being interviewed is a step forward from the days of Tuttle, Spackman, Donachie etc.

• May 23, 2013 at 20:39

@lukesmithmfc:

Bite at what? Are you suggesting that what I said is wrong in any way or somehow a wind up?

• May 23, 2013 at 23:16

@lukesmithmfc: I'm not biting mate, just giving my opinion to people like yourself who want a grown up chat or a laugh.

• May 23, 2013 at 20:38

@Adsy77777:

Have the club said that he is being interviewed?

Thought not.

Gossip and supposition.

And by the way, when Donachie was made manager it was welcomed by many Millwall fans. He had got us out of big trouble the season before as I recall it after the previous fool had left. Spackman was also regarded by some as a bright forward thinking young manager with new and fresh ideas.

Babbel is at the moment a suggestion from someone outside of the club and right now has as much merit as me suggesting Gary Johnson is being interviewed.

• May 23, 2013 at 23:19

@Old_Les: Give it a rest Les.

• May 23, 2013 at 20:51

@Old_Les: I agree with Old Les on this point. First time for everything I s'pose.

• May 23, 2013 at 22:53

Les, Give us all a break will you ?
        It looks like we've started interviewing. No-one knows who is going to get the job but the latest news/gossip is very refreshing. No Bircham. No Gallen. No Wise. These are steps in the right direction.
        Sorry to burst your babbel, but if he gets the job I'll be over the moon. Of course its all conjecture but so what? At least Berylson is getting proactive.
        Live the dream and stop being so bloody miserable.
        If you want to have a dig at someone then aim it at Ambler who wouldn't know the difference between a wiener or a tennis racket up his shitbox.
        @Old_Les:

• May 23, 2013 at 17:38

Sorry but I don't see the excitement here as Babbel doesn't have a good record as manager. If we must have a German (but let's not forget our huge clock they bombed) I'd rather we went for Uwe Rosler.

• May 23, 2013 at 17:43

@Bolland: pretty sure babbel has a better record than uwe by far though mate

• May 23, 2013 at 18:53

@Bolland: can't believe you've actually said that bolland.
      A covorted European championship winner amongst other things and a champions league qualifier at first attempt and a promotion to top tier at the first attempt with another club, it's a no brainer if you wish to compare the two Germans you've mentioned. Uwe league one playoff loser and .............
      That's it. Not taking the p*** out of ya but there really is no comparison.

• May 23, 2013 at 18:08

Banksy, he did well at Stuttgart but was sacked from both Hertha Berlin & Hofenheim. I don't know how that stacks up really but 2 sackings have to be seen as problematic, imo.

• May 23, 2013 at 22:37

@Bolland: Managers can do a great job for three seasons, have a rough patch and get sacked these days, I hardly think its a statistic to judge someone on unless its extreme.

• May 24, 2013 at 10:09

@Bolland: He did get Hertha promoted to the bundesliga so cant be all bad, and Hoffenheim looks to be just a blip on his record

• May 23, 2013 at 18:12

Whoever we get could go one of two ways. I don't think KJ was everyone's choice. There are some that I personally wouldn't like to see appointed, Wise, Bircham, Gallen and others but a lot of the names banded about I'd be willing to get behind.

• May 23, 2013 at 18:15

Babbel has got a much better record than Uwe, sorry. I liked the idea of Uwe due to the theory of having a young, fresh, well organised German, who could get us playing from the back, passing the ball neatly and becoming hard to beat. Then we build on that and score some goals. In my opinion that is how you succeed in this league. Babbel has all that and more, he is a Uefa cup winner, he has multiple successes to his credit as a player, internationally too, he has has successful spells at Stuttgart, Hertha and Bayern in some coaching capacity or another. He is experienced in Europe (Ok I am not saying we will get into Europe), but it will not do us any harm to have that coaching and variety of experience behind us and more importantly the potential links to the younger players at those clubs mentioned, loans, coaching skills and techniques, fitness ideas etc. Don't underestimate Babbel, OK he ain't Mourinho, but this ain't Real Madrid, but Babbel has been there, done it and got the T-shirt to some degree. I can't understand anyone being against him being appointed our new manager, this is a serious plus for us should it come true. This would be pulling a real gem out of the bag for JB and AA in my book, nice work ! Fingers crossed for me.

• May 23, 2013 at 19:29

IF it is to be someone like Babbel, then I say bring it on! We need a sea change at Millwall. We're going nowhere. The development squad, although in its early stages, is moving forward nicely and that's where we should be building our foundations. But on top if that with someone like him we should get a new mindset, attitude and belief around the place, an air of footballing quality, confidence and a winning mentality. The guy has seen it and done it all. I'm certain we would see an upturn in our fortunes. The clubs he's managed and coached at will have helped build up some decent contacts as well as a knowledge of what talent he may be able to bring over. Technically and tactically, unless your Spanish there's not many better than the krouts. I think it could be exciting times for us if they go for it. I've not been enthused by any of the usual names being touted other than perhaps Rosler.

• May 23, 2013 at 20:40

So berylson has said it'll be a surprise appointment.
    I've just been in sky bet and jackett is now 9/1 for the wolves job.
    What's the odds and has anyone thought about jackett doing a you turn ?
    Now that would be a surprise

• May 23, 2013 at 20:51

Luke, Jackett isn't going to do a u turn. he's off to pastures new and I wish him all the best.
      Babbel. Now, finally some forward thinking from Berylson. It seems to me that they've got a shortlist, with names unknown to us, but Berylson is interrupting his holiday to talk to a couple of managers and I'm very sure Babbel is one of them. He owns Millwall so he doesn't need Ambler's blessing especially as a collective they've agreed on that shortlist.
      As for Ambler, I hope he is also off to pastures new along with the commercial department.
      Personally I hope JB pulls it off and gets Babbel. I'd rather have 6 Germans in the team than the shower of s*** that played in midfield and up front for Millwall last season.
      @lukesmithmfc:

• May 23, 2013 at 21:59

@NICKOLA: haha ha
        You load of hounds you. Grrr. Lol

• May 23, 2013 at 20:43

Not a very nice one luke it would be like f****** a ex you really shouldn't but u wanna ???

Let JB go have his jolly up round Europe on the company credit card and come back with more that a 100 hamlets and a bottle of splash for the Missus !!

• May 24, 2013 at 06:18

@Millwall1979: who knows he may even come back with a bottle if babbley

• May 24, 2013 at 08:45

I dont want to jump the gun but Babbel will do nicely. As long as he doesnt bring in Uwe Fuchs as our main striker 😉

• May 24, 2013 at 08:51

@lukesmithmfc I don't disagree with what you say about Babbel but he no experience of managing in the English league. I work with 2 Germans and no how different they see things over there & have a very different philosophy to us. I would prefer Rosler because he has managerial experience in the England and, more importantly, in the London area. Personally, I'd be far happier with either in preference to the likes of Warlock, Wise, Jones, McLeish etc. It would be a good time to have someone that doesn't have the English mind-set of hoof football otherwise the money spent on our pitch will have been wasted. I think we all prefer the ball on the ground.

• May 24, 2013 at 10:57

@Bolland: I think babbel would be OK because he was at Liverpool, so already has some familiarity with English football. If he needs more in-depth knowledge immediately there are plenty of staff to assist and he may well appoint a British assistant - I would not want Rae or Bircham as outright manager at this time but they could be very useful as assistant to Babbel

• May 24, 2013 at 11:30

@junkmale: Id much rather have babbel and another german, Possibly Dietmarr Hamman, pretty sure babbel and Didi where at liverpool together and will be on the same wave length as each other, have a feeling bircham would point any manager we had towards the hulses and tysons of this world

• May 24, 2013 at 09:13

Can we call him Babbs?

• May 24, 2013 at 13:47

I'm really not sure on Babbel and it could be a bit of a risky move although I'm not doubting his experience in Germany.

The championship is a very British league, rough, fast and sometimes very ugly football is played to win games which is very and different from the Premier League.

Even if he has contacts to get a technically gifted player from the Bundesliga, I don't think they could just come straight in and handle the way Championship football is played and could you imagine them getting fired up for Barnsley away on a Tuesday night?

Babbel will no doubt want his own backroom staff as well, likely to have little or no championship experience.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves with this one but don't get me wrong if he was appointed I'd support him as we need change but is this it?

• May 24, 2013 at 14:02

@Bradders:
      I doubt many "technically gifted" players would want to leave the top League in Germany to play in our championship for peanuts anyway.

• May 24, 2013 at 14:10

@westlion: Very True! but even if we could get a couple of the top clubs youngsters, I don't think they would last 5 minutes against some of the tougher teams in the league

• May 24, 2013 at 17:39

@Bradders: I hear you bradders but do you honestly think any foreign manager interested in millwall would not have done their homework? I know seeing is believing but he's one foreigner who understands the English game he played four great yrs under a foreigner at anfeild and won trophys at league and European level. I wonder how hard it is to win bundesliga 2 ? I know they play less games and I'm more than convinced they would have little cold Tuesday night s*** holes to give Barnsley a run for their money. Yes our championship is probably one of the hardest divisions to win in Europe but as much as you say he knows little about our division and club we know even less about German football unless its a team in the champions league. He's gone into coaching has all his badges has experience at the highest level as a coach and player has tasted success and failure as a coach which some do. He's obviously been studying our game and feels he has plenty to offer. At the end of the day the only guarentee is that who ever gets the job sooner or later we'll be looking for a new manager. Lets hope Babbel or whom ever the board appoint does us proud. I personally prefer Babbel over rosler but I haven't the luxury of making that decision.

• May 24, 2013 at 14:28

Babble evens with bet victor others 1/2

• May 24, 2013 at 17:03

Wish William hill would stop taking mine !

• May 24, 2013 at 19:16

I think that Babbel will be a perfect appointment. He already has a decent record in Germany, but is still unproven so he is certainly eager to establish himself. I'm sure he will be very motivated, there is no doubt that he understands the game, so what else can we ask for?
    Combine Millwall's passion and commitment with some European flavour - for me that's a perfect win-win situation.
    We should not be disillusioned though - if he does well for us, he won't stay around for too long...

• May 24, 2013 at 19:36

Agreed on all fronts.
      I do think though that if Babbel is our new manager and if he does well, it will open the doors for a lot more German managers. Nothing wrong with that IMO.
      @bgwall:

• May 24, 2013 at 20:50

@bgwall: and that's very true Bg but that's also true of any manager at the level we're at.

• May 24, 2013 at 21:00

I just wish that we would hurry up and appoint a new Manager so we that we have a chance of signing some of these players who have been released by other clubs. Jackson of Norwich, Church of Reading etc. A new Manager will need time to assess our existing squad by which time any decent players will already have been snapped up by other clubs.

• May 24, 2013 at 23:27

@denslions: Denslions, I make you right. This is doing my bleedin' nut in now. AA and JB, put us out of our misery, you MUST have your man in mind by now, surely. It's all denial and negatives. Let's put it to bed now Owner and Chief Exec. Get your man in and let him start sniffing round the market, cos there's been some very interesting players of a decent calibre released in the last few days. WE NEED TO GET AMONGST IT JB

• May 25, 2013 at 13:27

Looking forward to see if Fordey can keep out the best (sic) strikers in England on Wednesday ...I wonder if they've been watching him flap at balls coming in from corners all season like us lot...

• May 25, 2013 at 14:17

I really liked babel as a player, was strong,got stuck in,played with his heart, a lot like we hope our players would, sounds like he's done well as a manager,also read tony pulis interview/article in the sun today, and still like the sound of him,so I'd be happy with either, just sooner rather then later would be nice..

• May 25, 2013 at 15:42

Dear John,
    I hope you are having a lovely time in Paris. There are many wonderful sights to see, art galleries and historical monuments to explore. I'm sure you will make many friends there.
    P.S. Can you get a f****** move on with the new manager?

• May 25, 2013 at 17:18

@NICKOLA: oooohhh
      E r nick, you dropped your dummy mate. Lol
      There's me thinking you were about to write a really nice piece on Paris, never mind I'll av to get a brochure instead.
      Frustrating and boring in it nick.
      Can't we make something up to pass the time.

• May 25, 2013 at 18:22

Ok- Ambler is the best CEO in the whole wide world.
        @lukesmithmfc:

• May 26, 2013 at 11:46

Please JB don't give Lomas the job, he is a west ham c### if you didn't know already!