Millwall board to whittle down list of managerial candidates

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL'S board of directors will meet on Monday to finalise the shortlist of candidates to interview for the club's vacant manager's position.

The Lions want to whittle down the list of applicants to a manageable pool of four or five to meet face-to-face later in the week as they step up their search for Kenny Jackett's successor.

Chairman John Berylson is out of the country but will be listening in via conference call.

Millwall are likely to speak to candidates who are out-of-work or out-of-contract first before deciding whether to approach another club for their manager.

Over the weekend, former first team coach Richard Shaw became the new favourite with the bookmakers for the job, but insiders have confirmed the 44-year-old is not in the running.

Former England manager Steve McClaren has also seen his odds slashed, although sources close to him have since distanced the former Middlesbrough boss from the Lions hotseat.

Yeovil's Gary Johnson is strongly fancied to be interviewed following his side's triumph over Brentford in the League One play-off final at Wembley on Sunday.

124 thoughts on “Millwall board to whittle down list of managerial candidates

• May 20, 2013 at 13:09

Please, two people who would make me consider boycotting Millwall after 55years of support, are two w******- Wornock & Steve McClaren!!! Please dont employ them Mr Berylson!!!!!!

• May 20, 2013 at 13:13

@leemark:

One of them very highly regarded as a coach and the other with an extremely good track record as a manager (who is also one of the very few in football who hasn't slagged off this club).

C**** they may be but Warnock as manager and the other t***** as second in command and coach could be a first class ticket.

Won't happen of course and the chances of getting either for salary our managers job pays are nil.

You can buy your ST without fear

• May 20, 2013 at 13:53

@Old_Les: Thank you I hope you are right Old_ Les!!!!

• May 20, 2013 at 13:32

I cant see GJ taking the post now can you? Listening to his interview after the match on the football league show last night it seemed to me that he is fully committed to Yeovil for at least another season, but i do like the sound of him. Uwe Rosler for me, even Steve Lomas is a good shout, just had a look at his record in the SPL with St. Johnston as an inexperienced manager, its alright you know.

• May 20, 2013 at 13:34

Didn't Jimmy Nichol come from the Scottish League?

• May 20, 2013 at 13:52

@Old_Les: Yes, but you cant tar all managers from the SPL with the same brush 'Alex Ferguson' done alright.......

• May 20, 2013 at 13:58

Actually getting down to some nitty-gritty now. We, as supporters are never ever going to agree on one man we all like for the job. Someone always has an issue with 'him' or history with another...I understand that totally, but I must also say that the names that are being touted this week are giving me a lot more confidence than those from a fortnight ago ! Roll on next Monday when we'll be put out of our misery, we can all get behind our new manager and he can get to work, drive our club forward and give us something to shout about. COYL

• May 20, 2013 at 14:07

I take solace from the fact that it seems that Bircham, Shaw, Wise etc are now in the shredder.
    Going to be interesting to see who the board are going to entrust our future with and the complete and utter revamp of our beloved Millwall.

• May 20, 2013 at 14:19

Some one just told me that millwall are also talking to brian laws,just looked on here and sky sports but i dont see anything about this.
    Can anyone put some light on this matter has for macclaren hope not it was bad enough when we had billy bonds as manager i still say we should get rosler.

• May 20, 2013 at 14:19

I like the sound of Uwe Rosler because being a former striker he might sign some forwards who can score goals. Downside is that he has no Managerial Championship experience and that could count against him when the shortlist is drawn up if he has applied fo the position.

• May 20, 2013 at 14:37

AA was only saying the other day that the Board will not put a number on their shortlist and now it's four or five. It's all nonsense and speculation. The bookies haven't got a clue and the rumour machine is completely out of hand. What will be, will be and whatever the Board decide I'm sure it will trigger three months of largely pointless debate on here. The one thing that none of us know is what budget the new manager is getting to rebuild our squad. This will be THE deciding factor on the quality of candidate we appoint, so if it is McLaren or similar at least we know that JB is backing them financially and that's good news for all of us whether you like the new manager or not. The alternative view means KJ mk II and more years of trying to survive in the Championship.

• May 20, 2013 at 14:45

Please not mclaren.

• May 20, 2013 at 14:51

not the wally with the brolly plse!!!!!!!!!!!!

• May 20, 2013 at 14:52

Dont know about employing these high profile managers, the main reason they are high profile is because they failed, at "bigger clubs" and where would the money come to pay them premiership salary's, if we could not pay players a bit more to keep them at them club.

We also dont want the likes of Wise and Shaw what would be good is for some with a good track record is this division who is known and has contacts, but when I am putting down it sounds like I am asking for Neil Warnock (which I am not). the board do have a very hard job in finding someone who please's a large section of the fans.

But who ever it is they will need to make funds availible and back them just as we will need to, but if they get it right then people who have been saying that they will not renew the seanson ticket's may be tempted to renew, lets hope they get it right for the sake of our club as this is a pivitaol season for the wall.

• May 20, 2013 at 14:56

When are they going to look in europe has mentioned last week? Perhaps, they've already done that and not been impressed with the applicants. This would makes sense of all the UK based names being released.

• May 20, 2013 at 15:10

How on earth could someone somewhere in Europe be considered for a managerial position at Millwall? A number of British managers out there who are far more qualified and they will at least have some empathy for the club - rather than some dago Johnny Foreigner schooled in the art of endlessly passing to nowhere and falling over for free kicks.

• May 20, 2013 at 15:32

@Old_Les: That's basically what I said last week!

• May 20, 2013 at 15:40

@Old_Les: Whilst I don't agree with your description of our European cousins - are you related to Prince Philip? - I do agree that now is not the time to employ ANYONE without any experience of our Leagues, I also agree that what essential is to get someone who understands us as a club and will buy into what we are all about.

• May 20, 2013 at 15:54

Adsy,
        You mean Dyche then. Well done !!
        @Adsy77777:

• May 20, 2013 at 15:57

@Adsy77777: the board have already said they only want someone who understands millwall adsy so rest at ease my friend.
        So what about Babbel his record is no different to some of the more experienced names being banded about.
        I'm up for the bigger name as it means the board are willing to back him with proper transfer kitty, so we can for once give it a proper go as most were screaming for in January. I think if we have got these people interested it will be a huge shame not to take one of em up as it could be a lost opportunity and when it comes to replacing him at least we know there'll be similar interest.
        We are meant to be moving forwards so why do people want league one managers with their league one back room we have that already. apparently the board want to progress well, if so we will not do that swapping league one for league one.

• May 20, 2013 at 16:09

@lukesmithmfc: Thanks for putting my mind at rest Smithy! I don't mind a bigger name but just one who won't use Millwall as a quick stepping stone and definitely one who will take Millwall to his heart. Let's face it we are a club that brings the best of of people when it get's under your skin, just like some players past and present. My only worry is that the likes of McLaren and McLeish might just view us as a stopover till something 'better' comes along and might be tempted to bring some of their old has beens in with them. We don't need to go back to the bad old days of changing manager twice a season and getting in big name players who are years past their best. Stability, IMO, has brought improvement and would continue to do so, especially in regards to bringing our own youngsters through to the first team.

• May 20, 2013 at 16:23

@Adsy77777: some sensible talking adsy.
            Say we go for a younger man like rosler why would he not view us as a stepping stone to bigger things?
            Say KJ stayed and got offered the Wigan or Everton job would we begrudge him those opportunitys - ok Wigan relegated but you get my point -
            The way I see it is if it wasn't for the board and KJs work the past six yrs then we would not be getting these big names interest, it speaks volumes for the work they've done and we deserve a shot with a big name even if its only once but if it came off then it'll open the door for future big names to come here. Also who ever takes the job will want to do well for themselves cause its their job and if they are then it's only right someone else will come knocking happens every week with players. I just think its an opportunity that's staring right at us so we should take it with both hands and do what we can to move forwards.

• May 20, 2013 at 17:21

@Adsy77777:

Our European cousins???? You sound like a Liberal Democrat to me.

Why would I be related to Prince Phillip? If I were I daresay I wouldn't be on here nor would I be a supporter of the most working class club in the world (though judging by some of the comments on here even we're getting infested by the nouveau middle classes and their cock a mame university bred opinions and happy clappy habits. Not to mention grassing.)

• May 20, 2013 at 17:31

@Old_Les: No Les, I'm just not a bigot. Not that I need to justify myself to you, but I'm working class and proud. University students and the middle classes as well Les! Is there anyone you like apart from half wits who throw bottles and generally behave like c**nts?

• May 20, 2013 at 17:40

@Adsy77777:

People like you have to pin a label. We now have bigot. I take back the Liberal Democrat bit - you must be New Labour with all their habits of selective reading.

I'll ask you this. Find me a single instance on here or anywhere in this cyber world (indeed in my personal life if you want to hire a private detective) where I have once stated that I either like, support or condone people who lob bottles anywhere let alone at a football match.

Come on let's see you find it.

As for the expression half wit why don't you try it on for size - you might find it a good fit.

• May 20, 2013 at 15:45

Thinking about the high profile names being linked to Millwall this morning and I have come to the conclusion that everyone on here moaning and spitting their dummies out about Mcleish and Mclaren being linked to the Millwall job need your heads testing, your heads have gone completely.... We aint fricking Man Utd and wont be anytime soon so potentially having either mclaren or mcleish as manager that are still arguably top flight level, that has won foreign league titles, domestic cup winners etc, etc we should be over the moon and encouraging the board to break the bank to bring them in. The players that these two will attract alone will keep us in this league. Wake up you Mc haters.....

• May 20, 2013 at 16:10

@Windy: yes yes yes windy
      A man after my own heart
      We should be pinching ourselves at the thought of high profile managers wanting to work down the den especially after the season we've just had I'd have one of mcleish mcClaren coyl e and warnock over birc ham rosler Johnson and lomas all day long simply cause of the caliber of player they'd bring in, and the experianced back room team. if it didnt work out for em we'd have a decent enough side to stay in the division with a couple saleable assets. Can't be an easy job though finding the right man. Can't please everybody so I guess they have to do what they believe is the right thing. Apparently KJ has been advising them.

• May 20, 2013 at 16:25

@lukesmithmfc: Dont get me wrong, I have no problems with lesser known names, Lomas and Rosler included as they should be our expectation. But, for some reason when really high profile names come along its like we switch in to some kind of self preservation mode. At least we know what we are going to get from the likes of McClaren and McLeish, Well organised, efficient, hard working teams that can on their day play a bit. Both these guys need to prove themselves and if we are to be a stepping stone onto something bigger then fair enough, it means they would of been doing something right and have been successful at Millwall and lets face it that's we all want.

• May 20, 2013 at 15:53

McLaren is a boring,unpassionate,overated cock! I say Alex McLeish with Alex rea has his no 2.

• May 20, 2013 at 15:59

Slightly off topic, but does anybody know how much money was made from the F.A Cup run this season. Also, do we get any T.V money from sky and if so, how much?

• May 20, 2013 at 16:07

Syd, I think, up to the semi final we made 750k. After that I don't know, but I'm very sure that someone on here does.

• May 20, 2013 at 16:16

@NICKOLA:
        Nickola, if that's the case, I firmly belive we should use that money, plus any money we get from Jackett going to another club and pay the £1 Million compensation fee for Dychie.

• May 20, 2013 at 16:29

@Syd the Lion: syd fa cup prize money is
      £1.147,500
      That's without the tv money off espn which came in at a million give or take
      Hope that helps mate

• May 20, 2013 at 16:48

@lukesmithmfc:
        Cheers Luke, didn't think it would be as much as that. Do you know if we get any TV money from sky?

• May 20, 2013 at 17:54

@Syd the Lion: saturdays Daily Mail Football league chairman were getting solidarity payments from Premiership for all championship clubs, its worth £2 million minimum to each club + of course extra payments for appearing on live games.......also read somewhere that Brentford failing to get into championship means they lose out overall on £6 million ?...and thats why so important to avoid relegation, Div 1 clubs get £350K...............of course could be wrong but that's what I read.

• May 20, 2013 at 20:18

Luke,
        Knew you wouldn't let me down.
        Well done me old cocker.
        @lukesmithmfc:

• May 20, 2013 at 21:51

@NICKOLA: couldn't resist nick and just cause I can ill throw syd the espn prize fund
          £980,000

• May 20, 2013 at 16:05

I wonder what it would take to entice someone like Curbishly to our doors!

• May 20, 2013 at 16:58

@NICKOLA: hahaha fcuking funny f*****

• May 20, 2013 at 19:00

@NICKOLA: Iam howling at that one. made my sides ache. sweet

• May 20, 2013 at 16:21

would Curbishly want to come to us?
    I agree we need a manager who knows this league and I know Warnock is not flavour of the month but he could do a job for us.

• May 20, 2013 at 16:32

Smithy, it's a hard call mate. I think KJ bought into Millwall and I'm sure he must of had opportunities to leave. I don't think he ever saw our club as 'beneath' him. I think he got a pretty free hand at Millwall, budget allowing, to build the club the way he wanted to. Will some of the names mentioned see this as a long term project? I know we want improvement next season but we are not yet where we need to be in my opinion.

• May 20, 2013 at 17:21

@Adsy77777: adsy of all the names it's always the last job they're judged on not the couple before it. Mcleish and mcClaren are high profile where we are concerned and maybe in their last job's they were promised things that weren't delivered. AVB has done a great job this season at spurs yet at Chelsea the players and fans hounded him out, they (fans) also tried it with rafa, and look at the job he's done for em. I just think that with their experience they won't always get it wrong and as has been said they have something to prove.
      Could be a missed opportunity

• May 20, 2013 at 19:11

@lukesmithmfc: Jury should be out on AVB until he does the same without Bale.

• May 20, 2013 at 20:57

@NICKOLA: haha ha
          I couldn't resist nick and just cause I can ill throw syd the espn prize fund
          £980,000

• May 20, 2013 at 17:21

I do think this situation needs to be sorted ASAP, we need an attack minded manager its as simple as that. Was it AA who said we could wait till mid June to name the new gaffer??? For me thats far too late.

• May 20, 2013 at 17:46

colwall,
      If the board met today as we are led to believe albeit with Berylson via remote link, then logic would dictate that the short list will be drawn up today or tomorrow. Interviews later in the week once Berylson is on English soil. An announcement later this week or early next week.
      I hope.
      @colwall:

• May 20, 2013 at 17:57

if you want a attack minded manager , mcClaren aint the man, look at his forest time , first 2 signings botang and greening , one of the worst forest sides we beat easy . fc twente fans moaned about his boring defensive football , i for one think mcleish and mcClaren for all their no how in the game , i believe they are two old and aint the future ,as a long time st holder who has already renewed mine and my boys , i have seen two much defensive football over the last season or so , i respect what kj did for us , but at times we were shocking at home and crowds showed that , FACT , JB SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO TAKE THE CLUB FORWARD FOR THE NEXT 6 YEARS WITH ATTACKING FOOTBALL AT HOME THEN THE CROWDS WILL RETURN .

• May 20, 2013 at 17:57

Old Les - Read your last two posts where you are pinning labels on foreigners, middle class, university students whilst I am either New Labour or Liberal democrat, for all of whom you imply contempt. I have merely stated that I am not a bigot. I would accuse you of being a half wit yourself but I would not want to label your or cause offence to half wits. I could point back to numerous times where you have accused myself and others of condemning fellow 'Millwall supporters' and those who want to rid our club of these elements of being grasses.

• May 20, 2013 at 18:20

Then it appears by your own admission you are a grass.

However, I ask you again to show me where I have condoned the chucking of bottles as you have stated.

• May 21, 2013 at 09:34

@Old_Les: Leave it out, Les. No-one on this site buys into your arcane misanthropy. If you want to make posts like this best stick to HOF, where you will be encouraged to do so (sadly).

• May 20, 2013 at 18:24

Grow up Les. Read your own posts.

• May 20, 2013 at 19:25

@Adsy77777:

Strangely enough I have read them - I did it when I wrote them so, odd though it may seem to you, I do know what I said.

Anyway back to the original issue re condoning bottle throwing. For the third time I'm asking you for the evidence of something as a fact rather than what you chose to read

• May 20, 2013 at 20:14

Les,
        We're all Millwall on here.
        I don't see a lot of mileage in exchanging unpleasantries. This is not a forum for personal attacks.
        Let it be.
        @Old_Les:

• May 20, 2013 at 23:33

@Old_Les: Right, Les. You keep bringing up that grassing thing at every opportunity and I'm getting sick of it - lets sort it out on here before it takes over the next few weeks worth of threads.

You are talking out of your a***. It was an off-hand comment that someone made about an issue this club had that happened weeks ago. An issue that lost us a sponsorship deal and probably made several future signings thing twice about coming here. An issue that for all we know played a part in KJ's real reasons for leaving. An issue which, by all accounts made the best chairman we've had in years think twice about his investment in us. An issue that for all you know is dissuading the best managerial candidates from putting their name forward for this job. An issue about which we, as fans, should do whatever we can to make sure doesn't happen again. A lot of real Millwall fans were disgusted, ashamed and angry about what happened that day and if you were not, I'd question how much you love this club.

I'll tell you straight - if I knew for certain the identity of any of those clowns who instigated those scenes, I'd hand them over in a heartbeat. Why? Not because I went to university. Not because I'm not working class enough. Not because of my political opinions. Because this club deserves better than scumbags like that and I'd love nothing more than to see where the support and passion of our real fans could get us without us being constantly pegged back by a persistent group of idiots that take it too far and drag our name through the dirt. You and I owe no loyalty to these people. If they want to go and do that sort of thing in the biggest, most high profile game this club has had in years, they might as well have come over and spat in KJ's and JB's faces as far as I'm concerned - that's how much respect they have for the club - that's how much respect they have for you as a real fan.

Now you may not condone their actions, but you saying you would never grass on people like that is a slap in the face of those trying to do good for this club. Its a slap in the face of me and every other fan that can see that these are the people holding us back. I understand the old school 'no grassing' mentality - but its not a privilege everyone deserves. What will it take for you to get fed up with these morons? How many more examples of their brain dead behavior do you need before you see that we need to do something about it?

I'm sick of never being able to discuss my club with football fans without having the same old f****** s*** brought up every time. We had something with KJ and we were almost on the same path as clubs like Swansea and Cardiff - climbing up the ladder and re-inventing ourselves before all that sh*t hit the fan. We are lucky to come out the other side of it with JB still on board in my opinion. KJ did so much for the reputation and profile of this club and the events of the last couple of months have left us on a serious knife edge. We get the right person in and we can build on all the great work he did and that Wembley embarrassment will become history. We get the wrong person in and we could plummet the same way we did under people like De Savray, and with managers like Spackman and Donoughie and in years to come, we will look back and see Wembley as one of the turning points. Little things like not being able to eradicate the moronic behavior of some of the people that 'follow' this club could be a deciding factor in which side of the knife we fall on and that's why people cannot sympathise with your attitude.

• May 21, 2013 at 18:05

@lion.ie: well said Stan , we all need to find a way of outing these morons for good.

• May 21, 2013 at 18:42

Well said Stan.

• May 20, 2013 at 18:33

Gallen it is then!

• May 20, 2013 at 19:03

Some more money for Alex Rae today with Skybet and Chandlers. Probably means nowt.

• May 20, 2013 at 19:13

I think it is a nice idea to have great attacking football from the off, but i still maintain that building from the back is just as important (not MORE important, but as important). I love to see the goals flying in, don't get me wrong, but imagine a season where, once again we become really hard to beat again, especially at home. We make The Den that fortress again and it gives the crowd that pride to know that teams and supporters HATE coming to us again. They used to dread coming down our place, but that faded a bit. I would like to see bucket loads of goals going in, but I would like to see us stabilise, especially at home, under a quality coach , yes such as a Mclaren, a Coyle, or a Mcleish, and give us our home pride back again. Make us horrible to play against, impossible to beat at home, intimidating too, then build on that to score the goals. Those crowds will get bigger and we'll expect to win the home games. Those types of managers know how to organise a team and know where to find the players to do it, how to motivate those they've got and i'm sure they'll know how to get us a striker as well, or get our scoriing again. Being really hard to beat is the key in this league.

• May 20, 2013 at 19:28

@Marshlion: I think you're spot on Marshlion, Peterborough scored goals for fun last season and still went down. However, there seems to be a glut of managers linked with us who set their teams up not to lose which IMO is different to having a solid defence that gives your attacking players the confidence and freedom to play. We should be hard to beat but not afraid to gamble one point for three when it's needed, especially at home.

• May 20, 2013 at 19:49

Lion,
        Problem last season was that Jackett had no faith in his forward line, despite the fact that he signed all of them hence 4-5-1 at home. Which is why we had one of the worst home records in the division. With 2 new strikers, plus good players putting pressure on them, a complete overhaul of the midfield plus some tweaking with the defence will change all of that. As will a new manager.
        I think we'd all agree on that.
        @lion.ie:

• May 20, 2013 at 19:58

@NICKOLA: Well, we don't have a choice now on the new manager but yep, agree 100%. It was one of the contradictions on here last season, everybody wanted 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but everybody was saying we had no decent forwards at the club. KJ fkd up on the striker front in January and this time he couldn't dig himself out of the hole.

• May 21, 2013 at 18:59

@lion.ie: That is what I mean Lion ie . The Swansea's and Norwich's of last season and the Cardiff's and Hull's of this season did get a few 4 nils and 5 nils agreed. But thats not what got them up, it was those long, cold trips away from home against the teams that were 3rd and 4th, the really hard away games, where they still got 1 or 3 points.....NEVER GOT BEAT! Thats what got them the top 2 places. They ground out those 3 points and even when they were down to 10 men, or had injuries, even against the better sides, they got 1 point, but never got beat. They made themselves very very hard to play against. I just think that is the key to first survival, and second, success in The Championship.

• May 20, 2013 at 19:21

The question has been asked about how much money was made out of the FA Cup run and what we get for being in the Championship. Unfortunately, what we also have to consider is how much sponsorship money we have lost caused by the mindless idiots who gave us such bad publicity worldwide during the televised semi final. I read at we had lost a major sponsor as a result but is that for the 2013/2014 season or are Racing Post carrying on for another year? If Racing Post's sponsorship has finished who will our new sponsor be when the shirts for the new season are advertised later in the Summer?

• May 20, 2013 at 19:36

@denslions: Racing Plus signed a three year deal in May 2011, so one more season.

• May 20, 2013 at 20:37

Gary Johnson is the man the board want - and I'm told they are ready to push the boat out (all be it a small rowing boat) to get him! Clearly, Yeovil's play-off victory has made that harder, but we would be able to offer him a significant wage rise and a much bigger team-strenthening budget.
    The way Yeovil played at Wembley he's clearly capable of getting the best out of limited resources and seems to have a fantastic relationship with his players.

• May 20, 2013 at 20:40

WHO TOLD YOU THAT ?
      @Lonz:

• May 20, 2013 at 21:10

@Lonz:
      And that lonz is the reason why he aint leaving Yeovil. Can you seriously see him leaving? He has single handedly took em from conference football to the championship there's no way in a million yrs he'll miss out on next season with Yeovil in the championship trust me he will not be our next manager. He is at his club he's a legend there

• May 20, 2013 at 21:07

Someone Who works down the Den reckons Alex Rae - might be rubbish!

• May 20, 2013 at 21:15

@Adsy77777: haha
      What's happening with you funny feckers today.
      Haha like it adsy

• May 20, 2013 at 21:22

That would have been Berylson I hope.
      @Adsy77777:

• May 20, 2013 at 21:24

@Adsy77777: I FOR ONE HOPE YOUR RIGHT ON ALEX , BEEN MY FIRST CHOICE FROM DAY ONE , A LOT OF MONEY AT THE BOOKIES GONE ON HIM , GARY JOHNSON WONT WALK AWAY FROM YEOVIL , ALEX DESERVES HIS CHANCE , HE STAYED LOYAL TO US AS A PLAYER WHEN HE COULD HAVE LEFT , AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE HE IS READY .

• May 20, 2013 at 21:47

@munson68: Munson
        I love Alex rea but I have a question
        When it goes wrong cause lets face it, it always goes wrong sooner or later, will you be jumping down his throat at the possibility of s*** football and signings like it was for KJ before he left?
        Personally I have far too much respect for him to see that happen and would rather he stayed with ince as it could ruin him especially as he has strong ties with us and to be honest how do we know he's even interested in the job? He's an ex player who's coaching in the championship and like the rest of em the bookies throw their names in the hat so they can nick a couple quid off people.

• May 20, 2013 at 21:56

@lukesmithmfc: YES LUKE THATS A FAIR POINT . BUT ITS A GAMBLE WHO EVER TAKES IT ON , RHINO AND MACCA , TOOK IT AND THEY CAN STILL HOLD THERE HEAD UP AND ARE ALWAYS WELCOME BACK , AS I HAVE SAID HE NEVER WENT MISSING AS A PLAYER FOR US , AND I THINK PAUL INCE IS THE WEEK LINK , HE HAS BEEN AT RANGERS AND MUST OF PICKED UP A LOT OF THINGS HE HAS WORKED FOR GREAT MANGERS.

• May 20, 2013 at 22:17

@munson68: yeah I see all your points Munson but I'd rather it go wrong for someone else and as for rhino and macca they got us to wembley for the first time and we were in league one so the risk was less and pheo let them go at the right time quietly and swiftly with no fuss.
            I'd back him all day and wish him all the best but I'd be gutted for him if and when it goes tits up. Plus there's the little matter of all the work behind the scenes that needs doing as well as a complete squad overhaul. I'd much rather someone else to come in and change it all up and then maybe rea to step in next time when there's not so much work to be done. IMO

• May 20, 2013 at 21:32

It was someone who might know who said it Smithy - don't shoot the messenger. Like I said, could be rubbish

• May 20, 2013 at 22:19

@Adsy77777: sorry adsy didn't mean it like that. I honestly thought you were kidding.
      My bad.

• May 20, 2013 at 21:43

A legend - at Yeovil!!!! Can't believe I've just typed that! I know there's a certain attraction to being a big fish in a small pond, but that's totally ridiculous.
    In November last year Johnson warned that if Yeovil's gates fell below 4000 'it would be very difficult to stick within my budget. We will do a good job trying to compete, but something has got to give if the figures don't match up'.
    Getting promoted to the Championship may put a few thousand on the gate - to start with at least - and they'll get extra money from the Football League, TV, sponsorship etc, but Johnson will still be operating on the smallest budget in the League.
    He may decide to give it a go for a season - but if he stays and Yeovil get relegated it won't look good on his CV and being a living legend in Yeovil will be little consolation!!!!

• May 20, 2013 at 22:04

@Lonz:
      I take it that's aimed at me then lonz
      Maybe you need to visit Yeovil and then perhaps you'll witness how ridiculous it really is, they worship the ground he walks on. Although you pick up on some valid points I.e gates tv sponsorship and budget I can guarentee he'll still be there next season. Do you honestly think he don't know all you've just said he had that discussion with his chairman a couple weeks ago and also when he promoted them into the football league. He's Yeovil through and through very much what Barry fry is to Peterborough. He's going nowhere in fact there's more chance of terry skiverton leaving this summer than GJ.
      Sorry if I come across arsy.

• May 21, 2013 at 08:57

@Lonz:
      Morning lonz.
      I really wanted you to be wrong and still do. But on the way to work I decided to buy me old Tuesday faithful yep the ever reliable south london press.
      Couldn't believe me eyes to see GJ stamped all over the back page.
      There's no denying the job he's done with what he has been given. It looks like he's a front runner for the job as you have stated, so well done for that.
      It's said Yeovil will be giving him a player budget of 2m which is about a third of what the new man will be given here. Player budget, does that include wages or is it transfer fees only? I believe it to be inclusive of salaries. Can someone pls let me know.
      It's also rumoured that if he's to leave Yeovil then he wants his backroom with him. Now I'm up for changing ours but not for like for like. Can't see the sense in that. Yes skiverton had done a good job on his own and credit to him for accepting the demotion on GJs return but that was due to leyton orient staying up the previous season and spurs not taking up the chance to tie orient into a feeder club. He did come across in his pitch side post match interview that he was asking for someone to "come and get me" and straight away I thought of us. I'm glad in one sense that the club would prefer the winners of that match and apparently GJs out of contract this week and is yet to sign a new one.
      I do have reservations about him and the money he'll be given, he done wonders with about 800k last season but can giving him over 6m to play with go to his head and what can he attract cause I really didnt think Yeovil played brentford off the park they just simply put their couple chances away brentford in my opinion were the much better team. Yeovil were just hard to beat that's all. Credit to them for that.
      I will back him 100% lonz if he gets the job, but it's just too much like for like IMO. Maybe that's what the board really want someone who they understand as much as who understands us. It's the best out of the "SAFE" options. If its him I hope he tears this squad to shreds and has the chuddies to really start again. We'll see.

• May 20, 2013 at 21:48

THINK OF THE PLUS POINTS IF ALEX RAE GOT THE JOB . HE COULD SHOW TROTTER AND CO HOW TO SCORE FROM MIDFIELD , AND HE WOULD TAKE NONE OF THAT SWANNING AROUND MIDFIELD , WHAT BETTER TEACHER , HE ALWAYS GAVE 100% AS A PLAYER.

• May 21, 2013 at 11:55

@munson68: I've posted these before, but some recent Alex Rae quotes:
      “I’ve always liked to see teams I’m involved in play football. But first and foremost you have to be prepared to battle.
      “I’ve never seen a team go into a game not prepared to battle and win.
      “You have to first of all earn your right to play your football.
      “That’s the key. The football side of thing is natural for players, but you have to earn the right.”

• May 21, 2013 at 09:27

Looks like Johnson is the firm favourite, but rumour has it that Lee Clarke is about to quit Birmingham after a row over his team strengthening budget. JB and AA are both big fans!!!

• May 21, 2013 at 09:37

@Lonz:
      And do an I lonz I'd much prefer clarky than GJ but as you said rumour has it.

• May 21, 2013 at 09:45

@lukesmithmfc: this is a false story !! And his not a good manager, Birmingham dislike him an his management style... And smithy I take it you never watch wembley match ? Yeovil were more then a match, they were just inviting the pressure for a counter attack like Doncaster did... But I would like to see some football at Millwall, and not just power play for the full 46 games.

• May 21, 2013 at 12:14

@Lonz: People on here have been talking about win ratios, well Lee Clark's was 49% over nearly 180 matches at Huddersfield. This drops to 32% at Brum but he had a difficult start under difficult circumstances there and they were a top ten form side for the second half of the season. Any manager who can take a team on a 43 game unbeaten run is talented and it was the team he built that got promoted last year, not Simon Grayson's. We'll have worse candidates.

• May 21, 2013 at 09:44

Interesting Johnson quotes from a Devon newspaper - not quite a come and get me plea, but he clearly feels Yeovil's budget for next season will give him no hope of surviving in the Championship
    JOHNSON QUOTES:
    "I'm looking forward to sitting down with our club and the chairman and discussing the future. I'm aware of the interest, but there hasn't been any contact."
    Johnson, assistant manager Terry Skiverton and technical coach Darren Way are all out of contract at Yeovil this summer.
    The Huish Park trio opened tentative negotiations with the board before last weekend's trip to the national stadium, but will now attempt to thrash out new deals, with the team's league status determined.
    After joking that the prize for winning promotion will cover his salary, Johnson then suggested that initial figures would not be sufficient to compete at the second tier of English football.
    "They've got £4 million now to spend and that will be my salary, I don't know what they will do with the rest," he said. "I'm sure we will be sitting down to talk, we haven't really spoken about anything," he added.
    "I've seen a few figures [for next season], but on those we will need bucket collections all around. We'll have to up the figures a bit."

Read more: http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Yeovil-Town-s-Gary-Johnson-dismisses-rumours/story-19043824-detail/story.html#ixzz2TulzXFW4
    Follow us: @thisisdevonnews on Twitter | thisisdevon on Facebook

• May 21, 2013 at 09:49

Glenn hoddle is the best choice for me it's the way forward what he did at Swindon speaks for its self.

• May 21, 2013 at 10:05

This is all speculation about Johnson, Rae, Clarke, McLaren etc. The relevant point is have any of them actually applied for the position and will they end up on the short list drawn up by the Millwall Board? I just wonder if who is finally appointed is one of the outsiders in the betting.

• May 21, 2013 at 10:32

@denslions: Spot on, all speculation. When the interviews start and the applicants are SEEN at the club we can start looking forward/worrying about the future.

• May 21, 2013 at 10:34

All this whittling is starting to get on me nerves. I haven't seen this much whittling since I was in the scouts. I might stake out then Den today and tomorrow to see who's about.

• May 21, 2013 at 12:24

Would someone mind taking Steve Maclarens usless ugly mug off of this page please!!!!! He is most definately not for us!!!!!!!

• May 21, 2013 at 14:31

@leemark: totally agree damn near gave me a heart attack!

• May 21, 2013 at 14:53

Add Tony Pulis to list of out of work managers

• May 21, 2013 at 15:17

Now he might do a job. He's no Brazilian tactician but what a job he's done.

• May 21, 2013 at 15:09

what about Rafael Benitez he free

• May 21, 2013 at 15:15

@willownix: ain't he still doing the go compare ads ?

• May 21, 2013 at 15:19

Gary Johnson for me - can say all we what about a "big name" that's fine but if as stated by SLP is correct about a 6 mill budget how many players will that "big name" get for that as he will I guess go for more ex prem s*** I would prefer someone with lower league contacts to bring through some players and mix in a prem / championship or two players I reckon we need eight maybe more players in summer , no compo to pay for Johnson so more in pot for players .

• May 21, 2013 at 15:31

One word; Tony Pulis.

• May 21, 2013 at 15:39

@benzo: That's two?

• May 21, 2013 at 15:33

On another note - Simeon Jackson's just been released - wouldn't mind seeing him come to the Den.

• May 21, 2013 at 18:45

Decent striker at our level Adsy.

• May 21, 2013 at 15:59

Spot on Millwall1979 -looks like the best option to be, but then we don't know who else is on the shortlist!!!

• May 21, 2013 at 16:22

just been watching a interview with AA , IT WAS PUT TO HIM WHAT KIND OF MANAGER THEY WANTED , AND GOOD NEWS IT WONT BE MCLIESH OR MCclaren , or any manager thats been in the prem , words of AA , they are looking for someone to grow with us , and not use us as a stepping stone , so i would guess all the odds will change again , and another clue , MUST KNOW THE MILLWALL WAY , I HOPE I AM WRONG BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE , BIRCHAM / GALLEN DOUBLE ACT ,

• May 21, 2013 at 17:00

As for Lee Clarke can still hear his " I f****** hate this place " doubt that will sit well with the chairman !!

• May 21, 2013 at 17:36

"MUST KNOW THE MILLWALL WAY" Could be anyone who has had previous connections with us. Richard Shaw, Alex Rae,Dennis Wise, Ray Wilkins , Stuart Nethercott etc. I even saw Kevan Muscat mentioned in one lot of bookie's odds. I am fed up with the constant changing speculation so lets just wait and see who is finally appointed. Even if it it someone we don't approve of the important thing is that we give him a chance to see what he can do.

• May 21, 2013 at 17:54

@denslions: GOOD POINT , BUT ALL THE SPECULATION KEEPS US ALL GUESSING , AND MAKES IT EXCITING , HOW BORING WOULD IT BE WITHOUT IT , WILL IT BE HIM OR WILL IT BE HIM , RUDDOCK HAS HIS COACHING BADGE , NOW THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING.

• May 21, 2013 at 18:33

From what I heard today, it looks like Rae is the favoured candidate!!!

• May 21, 2013 at 18:48

Neil 'Razor' ruddock is a very good mate of mine !

• May 21, 2013 at 19:01

@Marshlion: ITS NOT A KNOCK AGAINST RUDDOCK , HE LOVES MILLWALL AS WE ALL DO , I AM JUST HAVING A LAUGH.

• May 22, 2013 at 09:30

@munson68: Thank f*** for that! Those sort of jokes are not funny.

• May 21, 2013 at 18:58

Ambler is really enjoying all this. Just get a bloody manager in place & get on with it!

• May 21, 2013 at 19:55

If the board really are looking for a manager to 'grow with us and not use us as a stepping stone' then they really have lost the plot! We'll always be a stepping stone club for managers and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!

• May 21, 2013 at 21:09

@Lonz:
      Finaly lonz
      I can agree 100% with ya.