Millwall applicant McLeish eager to return to management

© Jon Hobley
© Jon Hobley

ALEX McLeish has confirmed he is eager to return to management after it was revealed the Scot has applied for the Millwall job.

McLeish, 54, has thrown his hat into the ring to become Kenny Jackett's successor at The Den, and believes he has "unfinished work" in the game after disappointing spells at Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest in recent years.

Speaking on Soccer AM, McLeish said: "My experience at Villa was quite tough – it was draining, and at the end I felt like I needed a break from the game. But no sooner are your trekking around the garden centre than you're desperate to get back in again.

"That's the masochist in you – getting back into the game, because it's a tough gig at times. It's unforgiving and can be very stressful. The attrition rate for coaches throughout Europe is quite high. You don't get a lot of time.

"There is a fickleness about it. One minute you're the flavour of the month and the next you're thinking why you aren't getting mentioned for any jobs. I need to get the PR going!"

Asked whether he had applied for many jobs, McLeish added: "I don't know, I need to see if my agent has put my CV out there. There are a lot of attractive clubs [without a manager], so you never know. Watch this space.

"I wouldn't mind a crack at managing abroad in France, Spain or Germany but my first love would be England and to resume my managerial career here. I feel I have unfinished work."

Meanwhile, national newspaper reports have claimed that former Millwall boss Dennis Wise, who lead the club to the FA Cup final in 2004, is also interested in the job.

76 thoughts on “Millwall applicant McLeish eager to return to management

• May 18, 2013 at 11:24

So McLeish isn't specifically interested in the Millwall job at all! He's just generally interested in getting back into management and it's his agent who is sending out his CV for any potential vacancy!

By the way, my personal assistant wrote this post on my behalf.

• May 18, 2013 at 12:08

Yes I am your assist and I did write this...but my limit is making you a coffee and not giving you a BJ under the desk!!

• May 18, 2013 at 14:07

He has to say that because there are other ppl in the pot, I dont blame him for not specificaly picking out the Wall, no contracts signed and interviews to do so give him some credit. I think he would do the Wall a world of good given the resources.

• May 18, 2013 at 17:41

@max wellhouse:

Alex Mc Gleish
      what can you say about the man lived off the team Walter Smith built at Rangers
      stabbed him in the back Scotland Manager Even Marc Mc Ghee is involved in that
      left Birmingham city in the s*** went to villa sacked went to Forest resigned before he was sacked
      Totally a Pile of s*** will not be renew my membership until he has been sacked if appointed
      only two managers in it for me Martin Allen or Karl Robinson
      still i see Gary Megson And Danny Wilson still out of work to old donkeys that always get a job
      Millwall will not pay Compo even when they get if for jackett
      Who is out there to take us to Division 1 Plenty of s*** managers

• May 18, 2013 at 11:31

Desperate for a job lol he aint worth a cheese roll!!!

• May 18, 2013 at 12:06

Herman............thats an insult to a cheese roll

• May 18, 2013 at 12:09

Shot himself in the foot with that little speech.

• May 18, 2013 at 12:12

Dennis Wise? No thanks.

• May 18, 2013 at 13:47

@junkmale: Dennis Wise is a c**nt of the highest order - don't want him anywhere near Millwall

• May 18, 2013 at 12:26

I'd have mcleish all day long,when was the last time millwall had an ex-prem and a ex-international manager apply for to be our manager? he has knowledge of the game at a higher level than the championship and has a lot of contacts within the game Nationally AND internationally........

• May 18, 2013 at 12:39

Not sure McLeish would do well with such a limited budget but no surprise he is playing coy, if he committed himself to the application for our job our board would probably offer less favourable terms as they know they have him. Also agents always send cv's out but a little surprising he was not aware which jobs he was up for.......scatter gun approach

• May 18, 2013 at 12:52

If any of us were going for a job we wouldn't go around telling everyone would we? You keep the cards close to your chest and don't give away to much,you also tend to apply for a couple of jobs at the same time to maximise your chances. Maybe he's doing them same?

• May 18, 2013 at 12:53

I think Dennis wise would be perfect for the club,after all he will be massively welcomed by the fans and knows exactly what is expected from millwall

• May 18, 2013 at 13:02

Well Wise did a good job but I don't think Berylson would entertain the idea. The verbals coming from the Den intimate they want someone to carry on where Jackett left off and I think Wise would appear a little to 'gung ho' for their liking.
      @alexp:

• May 18, 2013 at 13:49

Well I don't want the little f****** midget back. He fcuked us up last time by bringing in his card school mates.

Oh and he is a cnut

• May 18, 2013 at 21:21

@alexp: not by this one he wiuldnt

• May 18, 2013 at 13:02

Wouldn't be so keen on wise myself but McLeish would be good for us in my opinion! It seems every name that comes up divides us supporters.... Will be interesting to see the reaction of you all when we appoint someone!

• May 18, 2013 at 13:07

Yep, that's a fact.
      Division of opinions now, just wait until it's announced.
      @TheBermondseyBomber:

• May 18, 2013 at 13:45

@NICKOLA: I personally can't wait - who do you think yourself Nickola? Any preference?

• May 18, 2013 at 14:10

Dyche. Seems to fit the bill to me. That's assuming he's applied for it and my guess would be that he has.
          @TheBermondseyBomber:

• May 18, 2013 at 14:37

@NICKOLA: I was keen on Dyche until I saw he'd cost us £1mill! Not sure he's up for it considering an interview I read yesterday where he's saying its just speculation and he's also signing players for Burnley! Gutted coz I think he'd be perfect!

You never know McLeish could be just what we need

• May 18, 2013 at 14:44

looks like to me , richard shaw , 64 with the bookies out of blue , gallen still there , why did he leave last time , ex reserve team boss , no compo to pay , he knows the set up , players , if i am right ,i hope i am wrong , this is a total cop out , bookies aint normally wrong .

• May 18, 2013 at 14:47

Dennis Wise can f*** right off and stay there. I consider that an insult of the highest order for him to be mentioned in the same sentence as my beloved Millwall. Alex Mcleish however , seems to be a very worthy candidate. I obviously have no idea who else has applied for the job , but , he's a very strong candidate in my opinion.

• May 18, 2013 at 14:54

I MEAN 6,4 FAV RICHARD SHAW

• May 18, 2013 at 15:07

@munson68: god no!! Please not Richard shaw that would be a huge disappointment

• May 18, 2013 at 15:10

McLeish would be great for us, he has great knowledge of the game and also a wide range of contacts. Two things that I think we're key strengths of jacket.
    Can also see him trying to work with what we have in terms of players and budget, rather then coming in with a completely new set of ideals.
    Great choice to continue from jacket.

• May 18, 2013 at 15:12

If Richard Shaw is the new Millwall manager I will not be buying a season ticket.

• May 18, 2013 at 16:11

@NICKOLA:

I don't blame you, we would probably finish rock bottom with Shaw in charge.

• May 18, 2013 at 16:14

Shaw, Bircham, Wise, Hoddle, Shearer, Rae and any others like that will be the end of us.
        @Big Millwall:

• May 20, 2013 at 08:01

@NICKOLA: Too late for me. I've just bought one!

• May 18, 2013 at 15:28

mcleish is basically using millwall as a stepping stone to get his name back out there for a bigger club.....not really showing much commitment there I feel and plus there are no resources for what he wants to possibly do...waste of time!

• May 18, 2013 at 15:44

please board, do the right thing n give it to ALEX MAC, ideal for the post, experience at many levels, prem experience in scouting, really think he would be a big step forward for our beloved club

• May 18, 2013 at 16:57

@brizeybear: that would be a great appointment, if you cast your mind back to when he was at Birmingham his keeper coach was Dave Watson would was picked to join the England staff currently at Norwich, and the emergence of joe hart who is the best keep in England all be it on loan you have to start somewhere, also Ben foster who England 2 choice keeper, and the scouting side of football he was posed to sign lenwindaski how ever you spell that, when he was still playing in Poland but at 5 million it was a gamble, look at him now... He recalled Stephen Carr out of retirement what a master stroke that was, he sign chris Burke and marlon king before he left Birmingham, best CV we have had in.

• May 18, 2013 at 16:44

Forget the big names, they'll not do the job we want, for peanuts, cause thats all they''ll get. We cant afford em at all.
    Now who do I know who'll do it for peanuts? ------- No one
    Ah well another nothing man I suppose --- and I've already bought my season ticket worse luck
    We need a lot o'luck Now

• May 18, 2013 at 21:19

@aeojt: I've got mine as well. God what a p**** I am

• May 18, 2013 at 17:19

The speculation goes on. I would love to know who is on the short list if it has already been drawn up. I wonder if the League 1 Play-Off Managers have applied and the loser is on the short list? I think the new Manager is someone who we will least expect and I don't think it will be Richard Shaw because I thought the reason he left first time round was because of a fall out with Berylson. Hopesully all will be revealed by the end of next week.

• May 19, 2013 at 09:49

Didn't fall out with Berylson. Jackett was instrumental in removing him. Berylson went on record to say that he liked him very much, but that he didn't interfere with the manager's decisions.
      It never came out why Jackett got rid of him, but he must have had his reasons.@denslions:

• May 18, 2013 at 17:39

Maybe a Dennis Wise, Bircham , McLeish trio.
    Could the three-headed manager beast get us into the Prem?
    Anyone else sniff glue on here?

• May 18, 2013 at 17:43

@lionking: No, but i might start if any of those three (or Wise) get any where near the job!

• May 18, 2013 at 18:12

I still think Owen Coyle is the best choice, but if you look at the win percentage of Martin Allen you would have to say he is a very good candidate.

• May 18, 2013 at 21:11

Player/ Manager Cheap ! PETER GRIFFIN . We're all doomed anyway....... Ask William Hill !

• May 18, 2013 at 22:15

Well I guess we should look at what the Board might be looking for here.
    Firstly, we need a manager who can work closely with JB. I don't think anyone like Wise will fit the bill as he will have too much of an ego. McKleish has shown himself to be a bit unreliable as he walked out on Forest and as some have said he is after any sort of job,
    Our new man has to be understated, prepared to fit in and understand our club. He also needs contacts to bring players in quickly--If he loses tomorrow, I'd say Gary Johnson fits the bill

• May 18, 2013 at 22:34

Jacket was praising M.F.C. loud & proud only a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know the reason(s) he jacked ? Because it could have a bearing on who would be willing and able to step in !
    Deja Vu methinks.

• May 19, 2013 at 11:44

Jackett left for a couple reasons he's publicly stated he believes he took us as far as he could and believes it best for the club to have someone else with fresh ideas to continue what he's started. What reasons privately will no doubt always remain private. We seem to forget that the only time we really struggled with jackett was the second half of this season. He was honest enough to realise he lost the crowd and probably half the squad.
    I'm really hoping we get experience to replace jackett cause that'll mean the board "ARE" prepared to stick to their word and back him with sensible funds. An inexperienced man will not get the same budget. By experience I mean championship not league one.
    If we're to clear the dead wood then we cannot have a young league one otherwise we'll end up with another spackman which is not what we need. I'm pretty sure KJ would have left his opinion with berylson, and as dunney has said it's experiance that's required. We need to make a decision by next week as Brighton and Leicester could also be looking at new managers.

• May 19, 2013 at 11:55

Excellent Luke.
      Still not sure about Dyche? He's the man for me. Compensation or not should be ultimately balanced by Jackett. He's not going to wait a year to manage another club.
      @lukesmithmfc:

• May 19, 2013 at 12:55

@NICKOLA: actually Nic with the championship names being thrown about I believe Dyche could probably do a good job but my worry with him is what more could he do than KJ? Who could he bring in? We need a complete overhaul. But like you I'm not worried about compensation as its the norm these days every manager has something written in their contracts, I know I previously said I can't see us paying it but who ever wants KJ has to pay so why shouldn't we?

• May 19, 2013 at 12:57

Exactly. You get what you pay for.
          You could ask the same question re Di Canio and O'Neill.
          @lukesmithmfc:

• May 19, 2013 at 12:47

No budget for players, look back at his comment, I've taken Millwall as far as I can its time for something new. which really means JB ain't gona part, I'm off can't work with peanuts .

• May 19, 2013 at 12:55

There's two sides to that. After the season finished Berylson may have told Jackett that but I'm more inclined to think that he'd had enough. Discontent in the dressing room and from the supporters. The other side of the coin is that It's my understanding that they did make an approach for Morison circa 1 million, plus the wages paid to three strikers that were never at the races so the cash was there and will be for a new manager.
      @mewall62:

• May 19, 2013 at 14:28

@mewall62: we offered the same as Leicester and more in wages for chris wood. We offered over a million for Morison and KJ has said there's money available. Maybe he thought that he can't attract the players to the the job needed.
      I will agree with you if we don't get an experienced champship manager.
      We have mcleish coyle warnock and if reports are true mcClaren interested in the job and in my opinion they are better and bigger profile than the others mentioned and should be one of em for the job. Now they and the board are not stupid and would be more than informed about what's to be offered. We really can't go for inexperience otherwise we'd be taking the p*** out of all the good KJ has done. On another important note, if we do get a decent name in then we have a huge part to play cause if its evident that we can push on second part of the season then we need to turn up and support the boys as financial fare play could stop us in our tracks. The more we turn up the better the transfer budget in January and next summer.

• May 19, 2013 at 15:51

Uwe it is then! Could do a lot worse IMO.

• May 19, 2013 at 16:20

@Adsy77777: or 10 times better. But I guess without giving them all a chance we'll never know.
      Not one for me if it is to be rosler then forget about a decent transfer budget also couldn't see how he would build on KJs work and I don't see changing one league one set up for another we're meant to be going forwards not backwards. IMO.

• May 19, 2013 at 16:14

Well done Yeovil. Although he's done wonders for em in glad they've gone up cause it means Johnson aint coming to us and hopefully neither is rosler.

• May 19, 2013 at 16:18

@lukesmithmfc: hello Smithy, don't fancy Rosler then? I think he'd be good for Millwall myself.

• May 19, 2013 at 17:42

@Adsy77777: Ello adsy
        I think he's doing a great job mate but can you honestly see him attracting the players we need along with a higher standard of coaches and a vastly improved scouting network. I just think we need someone who has taken a championship job had a complete overhaul of first team squad brought along their tried and tested backroom and managed to comfortably stay up or better still made the playoffs. Warnock and coyle have done just that. Coyle done it up in the northwest which is a concern of mine cause it doesn't matter what club your at up there you'll always find the players you need and not necessarily with a huge budget, but very rarely can they settle down here. Warnock on the other hand has done it down here which appeals to me much more and is only too aware of what it's about at our club he always tried to get his teams really fired up against us and I can't remember him saying too much against us in the past either, he's my preferred choice adsy.

• May 19, 2013 at 17:17

I hope your right people as for turning up every game I have been for years as a season ticket holder !!

• May 19, 2013 at 17:52

@mewall62: I think you know what I meant when I said we need to turn up every week mewall. It was a generalisation. Not just the season ticket holders or members all of us will need to turn up on a regular basis not the measly 8k there's enough of us to have 12-14k every home game with another couple k every now and then, but that will only happen with a decent manager.

• May 19, 2013 at 18:34

@NICKOLA: yep your right nick but a decent manager should and more than likely would assemble a decent squad cause he'd be given funds to do so.

• May 19, 2013 at 19:01

@lukesmithmfc:

And a change in attitude by the club towards it's own fans

• May 19, 2013 at 18:51

Don't think Coyle would be interested in coming down south. Warnock wouldn't be a long term appointment and bought some right donkeys in when he was at Leeds. I think Rosler is young and hungry and still has connections at the higher level and would manage the club from top to bottom and add to what KJ has already done. Just my opinion, be interesting to see what happens, just hope it's not an anti climax!

• May 19, 2013 at 19:30

Just see Gary johnson's post match interview again on sky very interesting.
    He said "if anyone has big ambitions for a little man then you can have this". Sounded very much a come and get me. He also mentions "the job done on a small budget". I really don't want league one but GJ is better than rosler IMO

• May 19, 2013 at 19:33

Anyone that can get Yeovil into the Championship deserves respect and a shot at Millwall.
      @lukesmithmfc:

• May 19, 2013 at 19:39

@lukesmithmfc: I don't think either would be a bad shout. Johnson did well at Bristol City, and he's a Londoner so should understand what Millwall's all about.

• May 19, 2013 at 19:46

So we actually agree.
        Looks like it's Johnson then, I'll let Berylson know.
        @Adsy77777:

• May 19, 2013 at 19:56

Lol - I said i don't mind Rosler OR Johnson, but if you and Smithy want Johnson, tell JB it's alright with me!

• May 19, 2013 at 22:02

@Adsy77777: adsy I said they've both done a good job but I also said I don't want league one.
    On a previous article I also said that GJ is at his club and I still stand by that. He's done superb but it's not what we want if we're to improve on what KJ has done the board have stated numerous times that want to progress and I believe we'll be no better off with GJ or UR as they will not be given the funds and if they were what would they do with it.
    I know GJ done a decent job at BC but that was at a time with a much even playing field. We need someone who can attract the players necessary and who has a championship standard back room team. Those two will replace league one for league one.
    The bigger the name the bigger the budget IMO I just think there's better than those two

• May 20, 2013 at 11:06

Any news mr Aldridge ?
    What's the story with mcClaren
    And Babbel

• May 20, 2013 at 11:39

Surely someone knows something.
    Somebody must be good mates with one of the players, has an Aunt who works in the office, is Berylson's caddy or is currently perched atop the nearest skyscaper with a pair of binoculars.
    Come on..............Lets 'ave it!

• May 20, 2013 at 12:01

Lukesmithmfc & NICKOLA you two are so inpatient!!! Good things come to those who wait......chill my Millwall brothers.....

• May 20, 2013 at 12:05

Windy, any helicopters landing ?

• May 20, 2013 at 12:27

Sorry windy
    Just a different article on the speculation will do me mate bit board looking at mcleish.
    Can't someone make something up

• May 20, 2013 at 12:36

Luke, I really wish I'd applied for it now. I'm not qualified of course but then that's a good match against 99% of those that have. At least I would get a rejection letter which would then give me a timeline idea that they had created a short list.
      @lukesmithmfc:

• May 20, 2013 at 12:49

Someone listed Marcus Babbel's managerial achievements the other day that was impressive and think he would be worth a shout and would have contacts in the Bundesliga which at the moment i think is more exciting than the Premier League. Also for me the fact that Yeovil were promoted and Johnsons contract is up he wouldn't be bad my 3rd choice would now be Rosler hes German, wprled well with limited resources and promotes youth, and i doubt he fancies another season with Brentford after JUST.......................... missing out on promotion, twice.

• May 20, 2013 at 13:51

Gentlemen, at least it SEEMs that's we have risen above the early low-ranking names that were bandied about. I mean no disrespect to those fella's but the names that are out now give me (and it seems you as well) much more encouragement. Let's hope as someone already posted, that's its happy days, and not an anti-climax. Fingers crossed 🙂