Goodman pens Millwall contract extension after Luton spell

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

JAKE Goodman has penned a one-year contract extension with Millwall after returning from a successful loan spell at Luton Town.

Goodman joined the Hatters in March and went on to make 11 appearances for the non-league side, impressing in what was his first taste of competitive football.

The 19-year-old centre-back, who is highly-rated by the Lions, is expected go out on loan to a Football League club next season in the next stage of his development.

He first signed professional terms with the club last summer after rejecting the opportunity to join Premier League side Newcastle United.

Goodman told the club's official site: "I was a bit disappointed not to have made my Millwall debut last season, but it was great to get some senior experience under John Still at Luton.

"With a new manager coming in here every player will feel that they have a chance of impressing in pre-season and forcing their way into his squad for August 3. I'm certainly no different and I'll be working hard to prove myself."

66 thoughts on “Goodman pens Millwall contract extension after Luton spell

• May 15, 2013 at 11:39

One piece of good news in amongst the morass of bad news...lets hope that somebody knows what they are doing

• May 15, 2013 at 11:40

Good lad! Well done son... Nice to see a positive bit of news on here. We need a major investment into the youth set up and become known as a good club for bringing players through. We obviously ain't gonna buy players in anytime soon so surely a cheaper option for the board is to create our own talent. Get Harris involved or a decent technical director. I should imagine half of the proposed Wood money would go miles.

• May 15, 2013 at 14:09

The £1.5m we were able to pull up for him + wages

• May 15, 2013 at 14:14

@Swanny: Thanks with you now..dim here.....lol

• May 15, 2013 at 11:48

GOOD BOY!!
    And lets hope that's the start of a good summer. ; )
    If they want to they will do.

• May 15, 2013 at 11:57

19 year old who we rate highly gets a 1 year deal. Again poor by the people in charge. So he will either do quality and move to a bigger club at end of his deal or he will do average and we will give him another year or he will do s*** and be released.
    Is good news but too short of a deal IMO.

• May 15, 2013 at 12:34

It's a yr extension.
      If he proves his worth then they'll offer him something more. We are not a league one side anymore. How can this be a negative ? He's played 11 senior games in conference. Next season he'll do leagues two and maybe league one. We have to do the right thing by these kids. The club haven't a manager right now so they can't give too much. The new man might not want him, at least then we'll get more for him cause he's under contract.
      Another thing if the boy was unhappy about it he would not have signed it.

• May 15, 2013 at 12:13

Well done lad and good luck to you in your progression

• May 15, 2013 at 12:24

What I don't understand is that the article says we have given him a 1 year deal and we are going to loan him out to a league club for his progression. So apart from possibly getting a fee for him in the next 12 months what use is it to us, because if he does well he will just get poached.
      He needed to be tied up for 2 years. So yet another player who probably won't appear on our team sheet.

• May 15, 2013 at 13:19

He's signed a 1 yr contract EXTENSION
        So he's now got 2 yrs left

• May 15, 2013 at 13:24

@lukesmithmfc: Cheers Luke, misread the situation, thought he present deal was endind.

• May 15, 2013 at 13:37

No worries sea
            I think most of em have misread it.
            Think I'm gonna get a sore thumb. ; )

• May 15, 2013 at 16:45

@Sealion: Looking at my last post Iv'e also mis-typed as well as mis-read.Could be the stress getting to me or just old age haha.

• May 15, 2013 at 16:56

@lukesmithmfc: Naa its just one year, not two he was right in thinking Jake was out of contract

• May 15, 2013 at 17:51

Well sealion I stand corrected its my bad mate.

• May 15, 2013 at 12:30

This is a 1 year deal as Goodman wants to see whether he will actually play this year, if he doesn't the boy will be off for almost free at the end of next season.... He isn't stupid, most probably didn't want to have a 2 year deal just in case he never actually gets a game!

Would like to see our youngsters get a chance nowadays as it seems they don't get a chance.... apart from pre-season.

• May 15, 2013 at 13:20

@Bradders: Good point Bradders, but as Shittu will probably leave and I think most realists on here know that relegation is almost a certainty, we have nothing to lose by giving him 1st team football here and not helping out some other club.
      He is 19 how long does he need to be mollycoddled in the lower divisions. Let him learn his trade in the championship and next year when we are relegated we may well have a gem in the side and his experience could be invaluable, if he doesn,t make it then we haven't lost much. At least we would have had some service from our investment.

• May 15, 2013 at 15:42

Sea, what would you think of him if we had a similar or god forbid worse season next time out,and his performances were below standard and we weren't in a position to bring in adequate cover ?
        Would it not make sense to loan him out to guarantee him game time ? Wherever he goes the clause will have a recall installed, so if he was performing to a high standard the club will call him back and give him a chance. 11 games for Luton in the conference is a good learning curve up to this point. And loaning him for a couple months next season will do him more good than not.

• May 15, 2013 at 16:54

@lukesmithmfc: Yes you talk sense as usual Luke. Its just that you see other championship sides with youngsters in the side doing well and as I said I don't think we have much to lose next year, so with little or no expectations it might be a good time to bring him in. I know that it is a totally different case because of the age difference but Morrison was brought in from non league without serving a lower division apprenticeship. Just a thought.

• May 15, 2013 at 17:45

Don't think for one minute I haven't shared your thoughts. I'm just trying to put myself in KJs shoes last season and seeing as we were as bad as we was I honestly would not have played him. Now if I was to make the s*** loans that KJ did then the real issue would be do you live by your choices or bite the bullet and bring in the youngster. Remember we paid half the salleries of the loans and I believe they had similar deals to McLeod, so we couldn't send them back ( hulse and Tyson ) imagine the conversations with the board. We can't send them back and we're still paying a lot of money for them so play em and get em scoring we need to stay up at all costs, blah blah blah. Could not have been easy for him. I don't know sea it was a complete mess and I believe now that maybe the right decision was made in KJ. It's good they ain't aired their dirty washing in public so that gives me a bit of confidence.
            As for Moro he had a lot to prove and has a lot of fire in the belly after Northampton released him. personally I'd have him back tomorrow, sort of player we badly need.

• May 15, 2013 at 12:36

".............I was a bit disappointed not to have made my Millwall debut last season."

Not to worry son, you'll get the chance of playing regular league-one football with us next season.

• May 15, 2013 at 12:43

Lets get the right manger first. Every thing else will sort its self out.

• May 15, 2013 at 12:54

@malcolm03: That's true 03 but if this lad is any good then why o why is he not going to be played, if he is good enough he is old enough, I also dont understand why they did not offer him a 2 year contract if they are looking at bringing him on slowly I am sure he wont be on megger bucks not at Millwall.

As has been said by others we have not had a good record with youth players over the recent past but lets hope we can find the odd rough diamond as it looks like we wont be buying any major talent to try to keep us in the championship next season. Again others have said but we do need to look at the whole structure of this club if JB plan is to come to furition within the 10 years he stated.

• May 15, 2013 at 13:22

@Barnlion: Time, effert and money is what it takes. We as a club are
        Losing 11K a day.

• May 15, 2013 at 13:33

Barn he had one yr left so he's signed an extension which now gives him two yrs. in febuary everyone said we should be sending our youngsters out on loan to give em game time, well we did that, now we have one of em for an extra yr to give him more experience. Who's to say that half a season in league one won't do him the world of good ? It's natural progression. Who's to say that the new manager won't put him in the first team squad for next season as KJ did with osbourne. I can't see what the problem with this is. It's a no brainer in my eyes. We slagged the club off for not rushing into getting a new manager and s*** the club off for letting kids go who DON'T want to play for us and now we s*** the club off for agreeing to the demands of a youngster who DOES want to play for us. No one will complain if he turns out to be another smalling.

• May 15, 2013 at 13:42

@lukesmithmfc: I think some of us including me are getting pretty edgy at the goings on at our club at the moment. The uncertainties are getting to us and we view the releases with seasoned scepticism. Its just because we feel for the club so much and only want whats best.

• May 15, 2013 at 22:15

@barnlion, sorry pal I got it wrong with goodmans contract.

• May 15, 2013 at 13:03

I remember one Chris Smalling as a youth player at Millwall, and then released him. I wonder where he ended up...

• May 15, 2013 at 16:00

@Lincolnshire Lion: Whats that international team he plays for? I cant think of their name...

• May 15, 2013 at 23:20

@Joe Maguire: Didn't Smalling leave because he didn't like the travelling. Bit different to being released

• May 15, 2013 at 15:43

He's deal was coming to an end this summer so whether he's signed a year deal or a year extension it's the same Luke. I know this for a fact. I'm glad he's decided to stay with us cos there were bigger contracts on the table at smaller clubs but he's decided to stick with us, not many like that anymore. He deserves a chance.

• May 15, 2013 at 16:55

No, it was coming to an end next yr
      So we offered him a yrs extension
      Which now gives him 2 more yrs at wall.

• May 15, 2013 at 17:23

If I'm wrong then apologies

• May 15, 2013 at 16:10

Jamie Moralee is his agent, he looks after Rio Ferdinand as well

• May 15, 2013 at 17:34

It's looking more and more unlikely that Shittu will sign a new contract. If Robbo doesn't regain full fitness he could well be in the first team in the comimg season anyway.

• May 15, 2013 at 19:23

Enough of these tidbits. Enough of this s***.
    Let's have a vote. One choice only. Got to be feasible and realistic..
    Who do you want to see as the new Millwall manager?

• May 15, 2013 at 19:24

@alexboreham_MFC: New players New manger, either gonna go bloody fantastic or is gonna be s***...

• May 15, 2013 at 19:40

Pretty sure you're wrong luke its from a very reliable source infact can't get anymore reliable. I would reply to your post but I can't for some reason.

• May 15, 2013 at 20:26

I stand corrected cos
      I feel like a proper d*** some would have thought that a long time ago : (

• May 15, 2013 at 19:44

He is much better than shittu.

• May 15, 2013 at 20:05

I'd have Beevers and lowry playing as the centre halves next season because that's Lowry's best position and if Robinson returns fully fit then there's good competition. Talking of which here's my first eleven next season. * denotes NEED NEW PLAYER.
    Forde, * Beevers, Lowry, *
    Trotter ( New manager new motivation) * * Henry,
    * *
    Subs. * Dunne Robinson Jack smith, Abdou, Keogh * , **
    By my reckoning that's ten players needed. I'm assuming Shittu is going to s***-out and that Robinson isn't fit at the start of the season. Ten players in and Ten out. Fringe players like Feeney etc remain part of the squad.
    Out - Either due to contract up, sent out on loan or to be put on the list -Maik Taylor, Batt, Wright, Woolford, N'Guessan, Easter , Malone, Wright, Marquis, Osborne.
    That's just an opinion. But, I'm sure the new manager is going to get a very wide broom and have a good sweep out. Maybe he won't agree with my own choices but I am very sure there's a lot going through the door very soon after he's appointed.

• May 15, 2013 at 20:09

@NICKOLA: as brilliant as we all think abdou is in terms of commitment, he can be part of the problem sometimes, might be time for him to move on and shore the midfield up

• May 15, 2013 at 20:13

I've got him as a substitute, not a starter, and I do think that both he and Trotter will flourish under a new manager.
        @banksy:

• May 15, 2013 at 20:53

@NICKOLA: Liked Lowry at centre half when I saw him against Leicester. Switch inside could be the making of him.

• May 15, 2013 at 20:21

Feeneys out of contract this summer isn't he?! I wouldn't bother giving him a deal. Has pace but don't beat a man cuts back to cross to back post which is a s*** cross cos you can't score from it. Which means IF you win the header you have to head it square IF you manage to do that bit right there's nobody else in the box.

• May 15, 2013 at 20:29

Haha I'm not gonna argue this one cos
      Even if you are wrong lol

• May 15, 2013 at 20:42

Ok Luke,
        Who's your choice for a new manager and let's have your first eleven including ins and outs.
        Let's see what you come up with.

@lukesmithmfc:

• May 15, 2013 at 21:29

Nick I was laughing with cos at my previous mistake about goodmans contract as he's now mentioned feeneys. it had absolutely nothing to do with your post mate

• May 15, 2013 at 20:54

Id be happy with johnson as manager

Fordey
    Dunne beevers lowry harry maguire (sheff utd)
    Henry luke ayling (yeovil) rich chaplow (southampton) harry arter (afc bournemouth)
    Paddy Madden (yeovil) andre gray (luton)

Subs: goodman osbourne fred aiden obrien trotter

And i think even this would be unlikely to ever happen

• May 15, 2013 at 21:24

Nick agree with most of your outs
    Did we sign Easter ? Thought he was a loan
    You asked a really hard question to answer ave about one choice for manager, have you had a look at the poll on this site
    Coyle 423 votes Warnock 420 Dyche 357
    To be honest I'd be happy with anyone of em
    But for a complete squad overhaul and based solely on ability to bring players in and keep a club up in the process then I'd go for warnock.
    Has anyone thought about KJ not getting the wolves job and doing a U turn ? Or is that wishful thinking.
    Hopefully this time next week we'll be out out of our misery.
    Who's your one and only nick ?

• May 15, 2013 at 21:39

Dyche.
      He ticks all my boxes.
      He's got experience at Championship level. He's an ex-player so has a jump start on what makes us tick rather than going through a bedding in process. He comes across as being passionate and last but not least he scares the s*** out of me so maybe the players would respond accordingly.
      @lukesmithmfc:

• May 15, 2013 at 22:15

@lukesmithmfc: Luke, make no mistake about Warnock. Mate of mine is lifelong QPR fan ( yes he is as embarrassed as I am about this), and their promotion under him was no fluke. Was hard hard work, determination, motivation, craft, graft and guile. Warnock is an ' orrible old *ucker, but credit where it's due......he earnt them that promotion. They crapped on him soon after but it was his doing.

• May 15, 2013 at 22:52

@marshlion
        I really like the idea of warnock for all the qualities you've stated. He's my choice for an experienced manager.
        But I just wonder how long before he chucks in the towel, he has said he may have one last job in him.
        If they choose to go for a younger set up with a long term view then I'd go with sherwood. He obviously likes and trusts us enough to give us the players he has the past couple yrs. he'd have built up a good contacts list and will know plenty scouts who he can call upon and he'll continue what KJ has started with the youth set up.

• May 15, 2013 at 22:13

So nick here it is as hard as it is and you definately won't agree and it definately won't be 100% . I'm going with young and fresh management.
    Chelsea mugs how f****** lucky are they?
    Sorry.
    Manager - sherwood. Assistant - Ferdinand
    Luke Steele - barnsley (think forde will go)
    Loan
    Subs
    Gk ? Dunne goodman abdou keoghe o'brien
    Loan
    Ins
    Chaplow, Steele, madden, bailey, Morison, gk,
    Left mid, 3 loans.
    Out - sold,loaned or released.
    Forde, trotter, Malone, feeney, n'guessan, woolford, wright, m taylor and gallen.
    I really hope I'm wrong with fordey as I like him and want him to stay but have a feeling KJ like's him more.

• May 16, 2013 at 11:36

@lukesmithmfc: Really like the look of that team. Have you thought of applying? 🙂

• May 15, 2013 at 22:15

Not bad Luke, not bad at all.
    With the right manager in, I really think we could prise Morison away from Leeds.

• May 16, 2013 at 02:22

So.e of the logic on this discussion doesn't make sense. Sod it all lets play all the promising youngsters and ruin their careers because they are not yet ready to cope with adult league demands! Look how well Marquis has done.....

• May 16, 2013 at 09:20

@glyngo: Looks like we are in a no win situation. If we don't play them they want away if we do play them we are ruining their careers. At what age are they ready. If we are in the championship we will have the pressures of relegation on us and if we are in the 1st div we hopefully will have the pressures of promotion on us. So when do we get to play the youngsters?
      If we wait till they are ready when ever that is and they are any good then as usual we get out manoeuvred and lose the player so what is the answer?

• May 16, 2013 at 10:21

@glyngo: glyngo, Marquis is just not a good enough player for this league, he seems an honest lad and a tryer but you need a lot more at this level, as we have found out this season with a good precentage of our players + the loanee's not just up to it at this level.

Sealion has a point regarding the youngsters if the management think they are good enough why not start to blood them into the first team by doing it gradually. Anyway who ever is brave enough to take the job as manager it would be nice if he had a good record of bringing youth players through, as we clearly wont have any monies to spend on many players (what about the cup run money).

If we can stay in this league next year and keep the same manager we may have a chance of once again starting to have a team capabable getting into the top 10 of the division.

• May 16, 2013 at 10:00

Just wondering if Roberto Di Matteo has applied ?

• May 16, 2013 at 11:04

Just picking up on marquis
    I know a lot don't rate him but a few of em was singing his praises when we beat boro away and said he deserves a good run in the team, then afobe got injured and KJ went and done what he did. How many consecutive starts is a good run in the team? 5-6-7-10 ? Tyson injured after first game, it was evident from the off hulse was not up for it or good enough for us, so why did we not throw marquis in ? Answer - wages to loanee's and the contracts agreed. Ok so KJ was not to know but he played him in spits and spats here and there. He obviously thought he has something otherwise he would have got rid and in his six yrs I'm pretty sure he gave marquis a new contract, I think he should have gone out on loan after his injury, and then as with batt bring him back to see where he's at. At least other teams would come in for him if we have to let him go. It must be as frustrating for the club as it is for us. It will certainly be a topic of conversation in the interviews for the new manager with the budget we'll be offering.
    Lets hope the club invest in the youth set up aswel as the first team this summer.

• May 17, 2013 at 00:00

@lukesmithmfc: Not to mention the time it takes for a young player to fully recover (if ever) from the groin injuries he's had. With a full pre-season under his belt he deserves another chance next year. If it doesn't work out he can move on in January 14.