Former Bolton boss Coyle will wait for "right opportunity"

© Paul Keevil
© Paul Keevil

FORMER Bolton boss Owen Coyle insists he will not rush into his next job after being backed by Millwall supporters to replace Kenny Jackett.

Coyle is the marginal fans' favourite to take over at The Den but, speaking in the Scottish press over the weekend, the 46-year-old claimed he would bide his time before returning to management.

He told the Daily Record: "I've been fortunate throughout my playing and managerial career to work with good clubs. I'll know when the right opportunity comes along to take me into the next phase of my career.

"I could do my media work every day of the week if I wanted to in the meantime but I am selective where that's concerned as well."

According to reports, Coyle, who is said to be interested in the vacant hotseat at Wolves, has rejected six approaches since being sacked by Wanderers last season.

Meanwhile, the Lions' fan on the board, Peter Garston, has ruled out the possibility of QPR youth team coach Marc Bircham being appointed as Jackett's successor.

33 thoughts on “Former Bolton boss Coyle will wait for "right opportunity"

• May 12, 2013 at 22:59

coyle it aint then. Fussy c#+t
    Well done Garston, I just hope the rest of the board take note.

• May 12, 2013 at 23:35

Don't forget Aldo, we need to be kept informed. Break it here first!

• May 13, 2013 at 01:15

I don't think Coyle is good for us anyway.

• May 13, 2013 at 06:43

U from sidcup?
    Me 2

• May 13, 2013 at 12:16

@alexp: . . . and me!

Presumably, as he's saying ''I'll know when the right opportunity comes along to take me into the next phase of my career'' tells me that he ain't coming to us, otherwise he would know. Wouldn't he?

• May 13, 2013 at 13:41

Me 2... Old Black and The Portrait.

• May 14, 2013 at 09:29

@Swanny: Like the Old Black Horse but prefer The Portrait but my favourite is the Alma by Sidcup station and then across the road to the Curry Mahal.

• May 13, 2013 at 07:55

How did you work that out Alex? haha

Anyone know who's come in for the job yet apart from old Ernie from the southern Sunday league !!

• May 13, 2013 at 08:42

Take a look on oddschecker.com

• May 13, 2013 at 08:03

That's great news.........not Coyle but the Bircham bit.

• May 13, 2013 at 08:28

Better get a move on here. Blackburn sniffing around Taylor. The sharks are circling.

• May 13, 2013 at 08:40

Keene still the best bet imo

• May 13, 2013 at 08:42

But in saying that I know we will just play it cheap and safe and pick an uninspiring choice that will do little to excite the fans or bring any more in...... Much like our loan signings.

• May 13, 2013 at 08:54

jimmy floyd hasselbaink 25s
    Or a tim sherwood les Ferdinand double?
    Young fresh and likely to attract players to the club, and probably be a good bit of pr for the club aswel.

• May 13, 2013 at 09:28

Thought Coyle would be a good choice but if he don't want it, f*** him.

• May 13, 2013 at 10:19

Why do any Millwall supporters want Coyle? A lot of people seem to have forgotten the spineless performance of his Bolton team last year. His teams play it around in neat patterns, but lack backbone: the exact opposite of what we claim to stand for.

• May 13, 2013 at 11:24

Owen Coyle is one of those managers who've had their day in my opinion. A bit of a 'has been' who thinks he's better than what he actually is and probably look at Millwall and say's 'I'm to good to work for a club like that'.

• May 13, 2013 at 11:27

I actually think Coyle would be an excellent choice for us. I think our best football has come from passing the ball on the deck and not launching it skywards (please read my previous post on how I felt about our poxy rugby-style football). All our best stuff and best results came from proper passing and proper build-up play. Coyle uses this style of football, and I for one, like it. Not everyones, but works for me. If I want to see the ball hoofed up in the air I can watched sunday rugby for free. I hope he considers us. I think he would be good. Nice neat attacking football to get us excited and interested again. Doesn't have to be tidy AND spineless, we can still have some steel in the side!

• May 13, 2013 at 12:39

@Marshlion: Of course `tidy and spineless' don't always go together. My point earlier was specificaly about Coyle, pointing out that his sides are both tidy and spineless. Under his management, Bolton went from having grit and spine in abundance to being a soft touch in the space of a season.

I totally agree that our best football in the last few years has come from patient and accurate passing. The way we played with Harry Kane and Chris Wood in the side showed that the Millwall attitude and attractive football can go together. I just don't agree that Owen Coyle would make that happen.

• May 13, 2013 at 12:07

Forget about Coyle. He's not going to uproot from the North to manage Millwall and in any case, he's waiting for the Championship managerial merry-go-round to stabilise.
    I would really like to think that the Millwall board are sitting around a table as I write this and putting together a plan of action. I would like to think that but those odds would be worse than Alex Ferguson being our next manager.

• May 13, 2013 at 12:19

Dyche said anything?

• May 13, 2013 at 12:21

Haven't heard a thing from anyone.
    Anyone got any insights? Any spies watching the Den? Any helicopters arriving?

• May 13, 2013 at 12:32

Come on, its TOO quiet, somebody must know something. Somebody ALWAYS knows something !!!! ??????? Where's Lionbar, he's always good for an accurate prognosis.

• May 13, 2013 at 12:47

Sportsmole.Com
    Just seen this and thought I'd post it for ya
    Happy reading.

As always in this situation, a number of managers have already been linked with the job. Sports Mole has looked over five of the early contenders, who are revealed below.

Eddie Howe

The 35-year-old is widely regarded to be one of the best young English managers in the game at the moment. He has shown his credentials in recent years by twice getting Bournemouth promoted - first to League One and more recently into the Championship. He is a cult hero down at Dean Court, though, so it may take some persuading to convince Howe to leave his job, particularly when you consider the fact that the two teams will be in the same division next season.

Odds: 5/1

Karl Robinson

Like Howe, young manager Robinson is highly thought of within the game. Despite being just 32, he has defied any doubters to make the MK Dons a more than competitive side in League One. However, following three years without promotion, speculation has suggested that he may now be seeking a new challenge. Millwall would be able to offer him the Championship football that has so far eluded him with the Dons.

Odds: 8/1

Gary Johnson

The experienced Johnson has earned himself a reputation down the years as a manager who is better working with a team that are viewed as the underdogs. The work that he has done this year at Yeovil Town, who are in the final of the League One playoffs, only proves that point. The 57-year-old is held in high esteem at Huish Park, but the bigger name of Millwall could tempt him into moving. A lot may depend on the outcome of his side's upcoming final at Wembley.

Odds: 10/1

Darren Ferguson

Ferguson has also been linked with the vacancy at Wolverhampton Wanderers, whom he once played for. However, where Millwall may hold the advantage is the fact that they are a Championship club, unlike Wolves or his current side Peterborough United. Like that duo, Millwall struggled this season, so Ferguson may not want another campaign of fighting against relegation.

Odds: 10/1

Uwe Rosler

When the German took over Brentford in 2011, he was only known in England for his playing stints with Manchester City, Southampton and West Bromwich Albion. However, Brentford's performances this season have seen them reach the League One playoff final where they will face Johnson's Yeovil. Perhaps the outcome of that match will have a big say on who will manage Millwall next? What has impressed many people recently is the way that Rosler lifted his squad after their failure to gain automatic promotion.

Odds: 14/1

• May 13, 2013 at 13:19

Thanks for that Luke.
    Not a bad little quintet.
    Do you know where this statement from Peter Garston is posted re Bircham ?

• May 13, 2013 at 13:50

Have a look on the msc web site they have a section dedicated for fan on the board. That's where he usually posts his info

• May 13, 2013 at 14:17

I just looked me self, f+#k knows where it came from, over the moon if true.
          I think his only fav cause shittu and redknapp have put him forward for it. It's bound to have an effect if the captain and redknapp comes out and put their two bobs worth in.

• May 13, 2013 at 19:09

@lukesmithmfc: once again another top class essay. A+

Lol

• May 13, 2013 at 23:17

Cheers Bonn ; )
            And all I had to do was copy and paste that time.
            A+ tight git should be at least A*.
            Haha you luv it Bonn

• May 13, 2013 at 14:02

I like the look of any of the five names mentioned. However a relevant point here is how many of them, if any, have actually applied for the position? Eddie Howe has just acheived promotion with Bournemouth and they took him back as Manager after he failed to settle at Burnley so he might feel that he owes them some loyalty.Gary Johnson and Uwe Rosler might or might not have applied but I would have thought they have both been more focused on the League 1 Play-Off Final and it might then be too late for the losing Manager to apply. Darren Ferguson enjoys a good relationship with Barry Fry at Peterborough and they also took him him back as Manager a couple of seasons ago. That leaves Karl Robinson who having failed to have any success with MK Dons might well want a new challenge. The main question, however, is have any of them applied for the position? If so, then I think the new Manager might well come from these five.

• May 13, 2013 at 15:16

As long as the board run any candidate for the job by us first, I'm sure we'll pick someone suitable for them.

• May 13, 2013 at 16:44

Who ever it is they better have some good contacts, because our scouts ain't got a Danny .