Tottenham right-back has mixed feelings about Millwall spell

© Kieran Galvin
© Kieran Galvin

ADAM Smith admitted he had mixed feelings about his time on loan at Millwall after enduring a frustrating second half of the season.

Smith was ever-present in the Lions side after moving from White Hart Lane last November, playing an instrumental role in the club's 13-match unbeaten run before Christmas.

But after being dropped in the wake of the 5-1 home defeat to Peterborough at the end of February, Smith featured just six times in the remaining 17 games of the season.

"Up until February I was enjoying it but after that I wasn't in the team much – I was in and out quite a bit," he told NewsAtDen. "I'm going to be honest, I didn't really enjoy it then.

"Missing the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley was also disappointing from my point of view. I stayed loyal to Millwall but that's how football goes and I respected the gaffer's decisions. Overall it was a good season.

"Throughout your career you are going to be out of the team and you need to learn how to deal with that. I found a way and hopefully that's set me in good stead for the future.

"I think that I've grown as a player and as a person. I've got experience of playing regularly in this league now and I need all the experience I can get really.

"I definitely want to play in the Premier League next year, whether I do that with Tottenham or go out on loan somewhere. That's what I am looking to do. I don't think I will be coming back to Millwall or anywhere in the Championship."

24 thoughts on “Tottenham right-back has mixed feelings about Millwall spell

• May 9, 2013 at 10:34

Fair comment. Good player, looked a little suss at times at the back, certainly spurred Dunney on to improve beyond recognition. Surprised he wasn't used more in midfield given the injuries to Taylor and Henry as he always impressed me going forward. Good luck for the future as long as your not playing against us!

• May 9, 2013 at 10:37

See ya then. They come here to get toughened up then you never see them again. He's definitely got enough natural talent to play in the Prem, there was a period around January where all our creative play was coming through him, he seemed to be the only one who wanted the ball and would try to make things happen, but in his appearances after being dropped all the confidence seemed to have drained out. He may find he's learnt more from the bad times of his spell here.

• May 9, 2013 at 10:48

Decent player, but ultimately he hasn't got the physical ability to play premier leauge, he is too small and too weak. He gets pushed off the ball so easily. When we lost to peterborough George Boyd was his b****. He pushed him of the ball tucked in ,at layed it off twice. After that game I realise how bad he was physically. I cannot imagine which attacker in the premier leauge he will be able to take on succesfully.

• May 9, 2013 at 11:20

@conor: Very poor comment.So Leighton Baines by your way of thinking should be a rubbish left back?

• May 9, 2013 at 11:02

Like alot of players, definetly a season of 2 halves. Thought he was one of our best players during the 1st part of the season, then lost his way in the 2nd.
    Don't think you're ready for the Premiership yet Adam and certainly not getting in the spurs team yet.
    Definetly see you being loaned out to another Championship side next season, probably QPhahaha, what with Harry's links to Spurs.

• May 9, 2013 at 11:14

@Syd the Lion: I think you're probably right there though he could perhaps offer a little cover for Walker but I would rather see him develop a bit more first rather than sitting on the bench.I definitely think he has got what it takes to become a good premier league player.These days the right and left back roles seem to be used more for attacking than defending and I think he's pretty good at that.

• May 9, 2013 at 11:08

"........I don't think I will be coming back to Millwall or anywhere in the Championship."

Erm...then I guess you'll be warming the bench for a few seasons then.

• May 9, 2013 at 11:10

A fair player but not exactly international class. It makes me laugh that he's convinced he's going to play in the Premiership next season when he couldn't even get into a crap Millwall team.

• May 9, 2013 at 11:12

Oh we'll can't all like it here.
    Not prem yet and certainly ain't staying at spurs think they'll stick with walker unless they move him on.
    Good little player though.

• May 9, 2013 at 11:18

Loan players come to us generally enjoy themselves and become better players for it,unfortunately they get a bit cocky and arrogant and think there better than they actually are! A lot of loan players we've had haven't exactly set the world on fire....

• May 9, 2013 at 11:25

Sorry you felt like that Adam, but I do make you right, even when you lost your place at full back, and we had problems with wide players being injured, it would have made sense to play you wide as you have pace and were very comfortable with the ball and a decent crosser of it as well.

But I am raising questions regarding coaching and managing the team which are now in the past, I hope you make it where ever you end up, but as Spurs have giving you another 2 years they must think that you can make it in the Premier league, so good luck to you and thanks for this past season, it was good watching a full back who wanted the ball played short so we could building up from the back instead of the usual boot down the middle.

• May 9, 2013 at 11:26

They come and go. Onwards and upwards.

• May 9, 2013 at 11:39

Kane went on loan to Norwich this season and had a nightmare, then spent the last three months warming the bench at Leicester. I can see the same happening to Smith if he's not careful. It's understandable why these young players want to be in the Premier, but the reality is that most have to drop down a division or two if they want regular football.

• May 9, 2013 at 11:41

Watch KJs last stand on UTube, makes you proud to be Millwall.

• May 9, 2013 at 12:11

Done well for us at first until we saw that he can't defend. Defo needs to beef up a bit but he's not a lightweight as that other todo we had on loan was it mason.

• May 9, 2013 at 12:21

He was excellent going forward but needs to improve defensively. Reminded me of Ashley Cole in that way - a typical 'modern' attacking right back. I think he will make it at Premier level.

• May 9, 2013 at 12:23

He's behind Walker and Rose who is heading back from Sunderland. Just hope this doesn't put Spurs off us in the future, but with KJ gone that may already be the case.

• May 9, 2013 at 12:43

Rose going back to put pressure on ekoto as he's a left back

• May 9, 2013 at 13:24

@shevyiddo
    No the combination of being small and weak, makes him poor physically. Leighton Baines isn't weak.

• May 9, 2013 at 13:38

@conor:

It's his positional sense and footballing ability that will ensure he will have a chance of being successful in the Premier league. Being physical is a decent trait to have but an over emphasis on it, over natrual abiilty, is the sort of mindset that has kept English football back for too long.

As for Smith's comments, he's being honest and I would rather that than some bland "I loved every minute of it here". His honesty will serve both him and Millwall well in the future.

• May 9, 2013 at 14:56

@conor:

don't understand why this arguement is even happening the premiership isnt physical so he'll be fine!!

• May 9, 2013 at 15:30

Decent comment from Smithy, I much prefer his honesty than the b******* from the likes of Chris Wood and Steve Morison!
    Good luck with your career!

• May 9, 2013 at 16:35

Great going forward not so the other way.

• May 9, 2013 at 20:53

Found out by Peterborough ..... No I bet you didn't enjoy that Adam..... All the best