Yeovil boss Johnson emerges as contender for Millwall job

© David Lloyd
© David Lloyd

YEOVIL Town manager Gary Johnson has emerged as a possible contender to replace Kenny Jackett at Millwall, NewsAtDen understands.

Johnson has lead the Glovers, who have been operating on the smallest budget in League One, to this season's play-off final and is out-of-contract at Huish Park in the summer.

The 57-year-old excelled in the Championship in charge of Bristol City between 2007 and 2010, guiding the Robins to three consecutive top-ten finishes, including a play-off final, which they lost 1-0 to Hull City.

And he also has experience in the second tier of managing Peterborough, whom he lead to seventh in the table before resigning his post in January 2011 following a disagreement over transfer policy with chairman Darragh MacAnthony.

Lions supremo John Berylson has a close relationship with MacAnthony, which could be a factor that works against Johnson, but his Championship track record makes him a viable candidate for the vacant hotseat in South London.

Sheffield United, whom his Yeovil side knocked out of the play-offs earlier this month, are believed to be keen on acquiring his services.

Johnson is currently a 33/1 outsider for the post but is expected to be one of many names under consideration by the Millwall board as they seek to find Jackett's successor following his surprise resignation on Tuesday.

Sources close to the bookmakers' early favourite, Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe, have distanced the 35-year-old from speculation linking him with a move to The Den.

And former Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock refused to comment on whether he would be interested in the role when contacted by NewsAtDen on Tuesday. Former Lions defender Sean Dyche, currently in charge of Burnley, has also been linked.

Chief executive Andy Ambler has insisted Millwall will "take their time" before making an appointment – so it will be several days before a concrete shortlist begins to take shape.

Who do YOU want to be Millwall manager? Vote in our poll here.

50 thoughts on “Yeovil boss Johnson emerges as contender for Millwall job

• May 8, 2013 at 12:04

Out of contract in summer - no compensation
    Lowest bugdet in football league
    I call that trademark millwall
    #MillwallTryingToBeatRecession

• May 8, 2013 at 12:13

@alexandergreen1993: We have to face up to the facts, we are a small club with a tiny budget in this league. Think he ain't a bad shout but shouldn't be the first name on everyone's lips.

• May 8, 2013 at 12:06

I'd be happy with Gary Johnson.

• May 8, 2013 at 12:11

Not my first choice but wouldn't be unhappy if he was appointed, good track record on a budget and seems like a decent bloke. Certainly preferable to some of the names suggested; Roy Keane!!!!!!!!! Dennis Wise?????????????? From the names banded about, my choice would be Uwe Rossler - Uwe to Millwall - has a certain ring to it!

• May 8, 2013 at 12:59

@Adsy77777: After all, people called Uwe have an excellent track record at Millwall...

• May 8, 2013 at 13:16

@Adsy77777: I suppose Gary Johnson would be a decent enough manager if we're totally skint, but he's no spring-chicken. Like you, I think Rossler would be a really good appointment - he's young, ambitious and done brilliantly at Brentford with a small budget. But as with Eddie Howe at Bournmouth, he might want a bigger club than us if they get promoted.

• May 8, 2013 at 12:12

I like the sound of uwe rosler but i would like to see joe gallen stay

• May 8, 2013 at 12:23

What about that Portuguese bloke Jose ???? he would fit the no one likes us we don't care bill and I heard he wanted to come back to the UK?

• May 8, 2013 at 12:33

What makes him a contender opposed to just another name added to the ever increasing list of possible replacements ? Am I missing something? Has Johnson, or his agent said anything that suggests he is interested in the job?

• May 8, 2013 at 12:54

@lionking: Besides, why would he want to come to us? Yeovil could be in our division next season. Typical of Millwall to be looking at someone off our radar. I still think Sean Dyche would be perfect - ex player who has proven to be a decent manager in this division and always does well when he brings a team down the Den. IF Warnock becomes the manager then, I'm affraid I will may have to become a Charlton fan or go train spotting . . . oops sorry, that's the same thing!

• May 8, 2013 at 12:39

Rafa Benitez will be out of work in a couple of weeks.

• May 8, 2013 at 12:50

Kenny is and was a great manager. It's a pity the directors of Millwall didn't break the bank in Jan to buy Wood and Kane. For the sake of three million, we would be in the play offs for certain, and the money would have been repaid rapidly. Look at Leicester and weep! New manager? Whoever they pick ids on a loser. I just hope I'm completely wrong! COYL!

• May 10, 2013 at 08:22

@Mickey Modern:

we matched Liecester's bid for Wood but he wanted to go to a club he thought had premier league ambitions, it's all well and good saying if we invested a few million in players then we'd reach the playoffs but with this league you just don't know, imagine if we did invest and didn't go up...we'd be totally up the creek

• May 8, 2013 at 13:25

Not one for me he's at his club
    Has a good track record and is surprisingly younger than I thought but that doesn't mean we should be looking at him.
    I thought that ambler said at the bottom of one of his statements that we are an ambitious club. Not buying into this s***. Get it done and make the announcement so the new man can see what s*** we have in our squad.

• May 8, 2013 at 13:48

Not a bad track record actually but I would like someone a bit younger to be appointed. Prefer him to some of the names being suggested by the bookmakers though.

• May 8, 2013 at 14:01

What about Harry Potter apparently hes a tactical wizzard !

• May 8, 2013 at 17:03

@sups8892: with his broom stick he can sweep all the s**** out of the club.

• May 8, 2013 at 22:14

He had a short SPELL as a player, but will he be able to tell WITCH players will TOIL or be TROUBLE for us, and what about his backkroom STAFF. WANDer what he will make of the sqaud.....running out of vague wizarding references now!!! @sups8892:

• May 8, 2013 at 22:29

@glyngo: I think you are beginning to lose it Glyngo the pressure has finally got to you I think you need a SPELL in Therapy, youv'e got me at it now. Nooooooooo.
        HaHa.

• May 8, 2013 at 14:07

Just seen sir Alex ferguson in an estate agents at Surrey quays

• May 8, 2013 at 14:22

I think the list of contenders is all a bit pie-in-the-sky. I can't see us appointing anyone who is attached or affiliated to another club in any way. Hell, we wouldn't even buy Kenny a decent striker let alone pay compensation or a buy-out clause.

• May 8, 2013 at 14:33

Perfect timing by KJ

We have Benitez, ferguson, miurinho and Moyes to choose from!

All are now out of contract in the summer.

And I bet none of them would have a fcuking clue with our budget!!!

• May 8, 2013 at 14:44

Who ever the manager is What sort of Budget are they going to have?

• May 8, 2013 at 15:17

An interesting thought. The League 1 play-off final is between Yeovil and Brentford. I wonder what the odds are of the losing Manager being appointed by us? I think Gary Johnson and Uwe Rosler are definitely worth a bet with the Bookies!!!

• May 8, 2013 at 16:47

Would we want a LOSER!!!!!

• May 8, 2013 at 16:57

Just because they lose the play off final doesn't make them personally a loser. Bith have had relative success with their clubs. Both will be on Mickey Mouse money as well, but the most important thing is they will know where the talent lies in league one. Somewhere we may need to shop!

Personally I would take either over Warnock any day. Can't stand the bloke.

• May 8, 2013 at 17:32

I can't stand warnock either.
      But like you said about losing a playoff final, it doesn't make those two personally losers. warnock being a hateful so and so doesn't make him a bad manager either. He has a very good record and can attract a player or two. Don't get excited I'm not for one minute saying I want him but he's out of work and has refused to comment on the vacancy. Couldn't see him managing us though.

• May 8, 2013 at 22:16

It would be such an uninspiring choice to give the job to Warnock, he'll drag all his fav players to the club and in 12 months complain that he has no money to invest. I am trying to think of a great young player that he developed and brought into a recent team. QPR and Leeds both bought heavily. @lukesmithmfc:

• May 8, 2013 at 17:34

Reading this story I thought it was April 1st. Don't care what he has done on a low budget he is not a Millwall manager at all, not in a million years. Would be a very poor appointment after KJ. Aldo this is not a good story to read.

• May 8, 2013 at 19:13

Bloody hope not. Done brilliant at Yeovil and most likely would bring madden but don't think his the right fit. Saying that Yeovil actually play more attractive football than us.

• May 8, 2013 at 19:26

Its a no from me.

• May 8, 2013 at 19:50

Don't think us having such a small budget is that important! We don't need to go out and spend £2m on one player an £4m on another and so on, But if we can make more GOOD loan signing's like Harry Kane and Chris Wood, we can still achieve Top 10, if not Play Off's! Which will Ultimately bring in alot more money, and attract these Good loan signing's to hopefully stay!

• May 8, 2013 at 20:34

JOHNSON IS S***, AND IF WE GET WARNOCK I WOULD NEVER GO AGAIN AND MANY OTHERS FEEL THE SAME, NEED A YOUNG HUNGRY MANAGER NOT AN OLD CARTHORSE WHO DOESNT CARE

• May 8, 2013 at 20:45

Karl Robinson or Eddie Howe for me! Young managers with hunger and passion to do well!

• May 8, 2013 at 21:42

Johnson has got a good publicity agent and friends in the press.
    He's not going to get the job. Sean Dyche will.

• May 8, 2013 at 23:11

Not good enough for me. A safe, cheap option. He's been swimming in the lower half of the football league pond throughout his career and won't have any pulling power for anyone better than the league one players we currently have. I don't feel he would have the ideas and knowledge needed for the championship and this would be a backwards step.
    Dyche has done good things at Watford and is going okay at Burnley, why would he come to us?
    For me it's Rossler, a step up for him. Good tactically, gets his teams well organised, (seen them at home twice) they are hard to beat. The only uncertainty could be his recruitment potential perhaps?

• May 9, 2013 at 00:09

If this is the best we can hope for we are screwed. I'll throw something out there. Robbo's playing career looks shot and he talked recently about a coaching career? I'd rather gamble on one of our own than some useless, been around the block has been. If Warnock gets the job you'll really see how to blow money on short term s**** journeymen players. We'll get Paddy Kenny, Sean Derry and Clint Hill for starters.

• May 9, 2013 at 08:33

Robbo said last yr he's going into journalism when he packs football in he's doing a degree at the minute. Can't see him wanting to do it the guys a legend it will ruin him if and when it goes wrong.

• May 9, 2013 at 00:10

If this is the best we can hope for we are screwed. I'll throw something out there. Robbo's playing career looks shot and he talked recently about a coaching career? I'd rather gamble on one of our own than some useless, been around the block has been. If Warnock gets the job you'll really see how to blow money on short term sh** journeymen players. We'll get Paddy Kenny, Sean Derry and Clint Hill for starters.

• May 9, 2013 at 00:30

Anyone know what Martin O'Neil's doing these days!? Surely he'd be a good shout!?

• May 9, 2013 at 08:43

I know Warnock isn't popular but his record of getting clubs promoted its excellent. Gary Johnson would also be good, but I'm not sure about Dyche - do we really want a manager who as a player walked away from us because we didn't offer him enough money? Owen Coyle would be OK but his teams seem a bit lacking in steel - on the other hand maybe that is the missing ingredient we have at Millwall which would make him a good fit. I don't agree that we shouldn't get Coyle because Shittu didn't like him. There is no guarantee Shittu will sign a new contract anyway, as he will get other offers.

• May 9, 2013 at 08:47

I think Johnson's a fair shout given his record but a massive NO to the likes of warlock & wise and let's think back to the likes of spackman as well - oh dear. I think JB knows what he's doing and got us KJ after he had initially said no to us. I'll support who ever he selects and the players as I always do but we're not mega-rich and we punch above our weight time and time again and next season will be no exception.

• May 9, 2013 at 13:42

should get happy redknap involved