Jackett's resignation reluctantly accepted by Millwall board

© Alan Stanford
© Alan Stanford

KENNY Jackett has resigned as Millwall manager after almost six seasons at The Den, the club confirmed on Tuesday morning.

Lions chairman John Berylson said in a statement that he tried to persuade Jackett to change his mind but that ultimately the 51-year-old's resignation was "reluctantly" accepted.

Prior to standing down, Jackett was offered a "substantially increased" player budget for next year, according to fan on the board Peter Garston.

Jackett said: "After almost six seasons I personally feel the time is right for a new challenge, and also for a new manager to come into Millwall with fresh ideas, to take the club forward.

"I would like to thank the chairman, the board of directors, players, members of staff and fans of Millwall for their considerable backing.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Millwall. My family and I will always have a strong link and affinity with the club."

Berylson added: "On behalf of the board of directors, I want to express my thanks to Kenny for his fantastic service and achievements over the past five and a half years.

"He has played a major role in creating a stable environment at Millwall which hadn’t been the case prior to his arrival.

"Whilst respecting Kenny’s decision, I wish I could have persuaded him to change his mind.

"He was my first acquisition as chairman of the club and has proved himself to be one of the best. I am losing a great manager, but he will remain a good friend and hopefully, golf partner.

"I know everyone associated with Millwall, management, staff, players and fans, will wish Kenny all the very best with his future endeavours, except for those times when he might oppose us.

"We are determined to move the club forward and build on the foundations Kenny has provided towards even greater success."

Owen Coyle, Karl Robinson, Gary Johnson, Sean Dyche, Darren Ferguson, Dean Saunders and Eddie Howe are amongst the bookmakers' favourites for the job.

101 thoughts on “Jackett's resignation reluctantly accepted by Millwall board

• May 7, 2013 at 10:46

The worst news I have heard all season

• May 7, 2013 at 10:46

Not unexpected I must say and thank you KJ for everything you have done for our club! Very important descision for JB to make now.

• May 7, 2013 at 10:49

very sad

• May 7, 2013 at 10:50

Absolutely gutted - Thanks for everything KJ.

• May 7, 2013 at 10:53

No way!! Absolutely gutted guess the boo boys got what they wanted

• May 7, 2013 at 10:54

Fcuking d*** to the stomach absolutely gutted
    KJ thanks for everything fella.
    Hopefully we'll find out why, but something tells me there's no chance of that happening.
    F*** me what a shocker.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:02

Bit shocked here as well. Thought he would build in this season. Thanks for everything KJ.

This is going to be one decision the board must get right.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:41

I bet it's cause there's no money available.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:01

This is very bad news for Millwall. Thanks for all the great times we have had with you, Kenny, and good luck with your next club.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:03

Congratulations to all the c*nts and morons who drove out the best manager this club has ever had by a country mile, speaking as one who has been supporting Millwall since 1966. So he had taken as far as he could, had he? Well you all got what you wished for. Let's hope we don't join the long list of clubs whose managers had also taken them as far as they could who then went into free fall. Kenny, if you read this, thanks for sticking by us for 6 years and for all we achieved together and good luck with whatever you do next. I am absolutely gutted.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:25

@ nedwall: totally agree. Really gutted.

I think this is a case that Millwall has taken Jackett as far as possible, as opposed Jackett taking Millwall as far as he could. He learnt a lot here and did it all with hardly any resource and would never be able to fulfill what he clearly feels he can by staying. He is a craftsman with limited tools.

He was only ever going to be able to build a better team if the club were attractive both on and off the field. Would it be a different story if Jackett's successes on the pitch were matched by successes off the pitch? Would he still be here without the mindless louts, in other words?

• May 7, 2013 at 15:12

@SE14: 6 years is a hell of a long time as a manager of a league club. Kenny has done our club proud during his term here and I would like to thank him for all he has done and achieved and wish him all the very best for the future.
        He gave this club stability when it looked like we would fold. I think he has gone as far as far as he could with the limited resources available. What ever job you are in there comes a time when you feel stale and need a new challenge to give you that spark back and I am sure that Kenny is ambitious. It was always going to be same old same old at Millwall FC. Fighting relegation every season must be a hell of a strain on the manager and its something that must affect the family as well. Our nerves have been in tatters over the last few months and our wives have probably had to put up with stuff and our livelyhood doesn't depend on it.
        So good luck Kenny and thanks for the good times.
        Just hope he don't get replaced by a muppet.

• May 7, 2013 at 14:09

@nedwall: Errr that will be the players mate

• May 7, 2013 at 16:10

No, not the players. Do you need to phone a friend?

• May 8, 2013 at 21:40

Kenny, If you read this then thanks for the last 4.5 years.
      @nedwall:

• May 7, 2013 at 11:05

League One here we come!

• May 7, 2013 at 11:08

@banksy:
      Couldn't agree more but I had a feeling this would happen.
      I fear we will be back to the days of hire and fire, clinging on to League one safety.
      B******* and I had such a nice bank holiday too

• May 7, 2013 at 11:07

KJ Millwall legend simple. Thank you and good luck.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:07

Just want to echo the sentiments already expressed.

This news has left me saddened and shocked. Kenny wasn't just Millwall manager but synonymous with the club over the last 5 years. Five years in which my pride in being a Millwall fan was fully restored.

Wherever his career takes him from here I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

Thanks for the memories Kenny.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:09

Gutted. He will have a host of clubs after him. Good luck mate.
    Get Di Matteo in.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:09

cannot and dont want to believe this.
    what has changed since 2 of May when he said we would not walk away even if we were relegated.
    the only thing i can think of is he has asked for money and been told there is none, feel sick now.
    who else are we going to attract and actually want at the den? any thoughts?

• May 7, 2013 at 11:46

He said he wouldn't walk away if we were relegated, which we weren't. so nothing has changed on that front. My guess is he is fed up trying to manage with one and sometimes both hands tied behind his back - small crowds, small budgets, small squad and a hard core of morons whose behaviour ensures we will always struggle to escape the gutter and attract better players. Frankly I can't imagine any half decent manager wanting to pick up that poisoned chalice.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:12

NEW JACKETT REQUIRED

• May 7, 2013 at 11:43

@Mr_London: shamelessly updating my joke from a while back!!!

Haha

• May 7, 2013 at 14:27

I have it on good authority that Neil Warnock was at the training ground today!!!!

• May 7, 2013 at 11:12

Perfect timing for me. Love Jackett and he served us so well BUT the timing is perfect for this, he took us as far as he could and if anybody tells me it has not gone a bit stale they are kidding themselves.

Wether this is a resignation, a dressed up sacking or a mutual agreement it has been handled with a touch of class and its a nice statement.

Who do we want in? Roy Keene for me please, yes he had a mare at Ipswich bit he did well for Sunderland.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:33

Good point Jonny. Imagine If we had lost or drawn the first three games of the season there would have been instant ill feeling and uproar around the place. It would have been hard to come back from that. I think he's played it right.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:18

The only silver lining, if you can call it that, is that there are loads of experienced unemployed managers. I don't think we would get (or want) DiMatteo, but the following are all unemployed:
    Paul Sturrock
    Mark McGhee
    Peter Jackson
    Gary Waddock
    Lawrie Sanchez
    Steve Cotterill
    Peter Reid
    Neil Warnock
    Michael Appleton
    Paul Dickov
    Owen Coyle

• May 7, 2013 at 11:28

That's a real rogues gallery there. Owen Coyle would be the only one in that lot IMO.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:37

What about John Gregory.... just a thought

• May 7, 2013 at 11:31

@junkmale: Steve Cotterill is at QPR, and if Appleton or Warnock came to millwall then league one wouldnt be the least of our worries, Appleton seems to jump ship the first chance he gets and I cant remember a human being I hate more than the mouthy warnock

• May 7, 2013 at 13:45

@junkmale: Don't fancy any of them apart from DiMatteo. Get a feeling we wont have a lot to choose from!

• May 7, 2013 at 11:40

I,m gutted its a big loss for our club. Please not Warnock I hate him maybe Mark McGhee back with Harris his number 2

• May 7, 2013 at 11:40

Edger David's !!!

• May 7, 2013 at 20:40

@Bush: what the same palace wnaker that just got barnet relegated out of the league. U can f*** right iff

• May 7, 2013 at 11:42

I applaud Jackett for leaving, he really is a Gentleman!

• May 7, 2013 at 11:45

I don't like Warnock either but I think his passion would be a good fit for Millwall. I think you're being a bit unfair on Appleton, Banksy. He wasn't going to stay at Portsmouth with the problems they had, who knows what went wrong with him at Blackpool but they have a very odd board and as for Blackburn why would anyone go there in the first place with the mess the owners have made? I'd have McGee back any time.

• May 7, 2013 at 13:35

@junkmale: No-one likes Warnock, he'll be perfect for The Lions!

• May 7, 2013 at 14:15

@junkmale: If Warnock is the next manager, I will not set foot in The Den until he is gone. The filter won't allow me to say what I think of him as a person, but his stint at Leeds tells us everything we need to know. He's past it.

Appleton is a more interesting option, although whether he's the right man, I'm not sure. Had a lot of credit from his stint at Pompey, but showed terrible judgement in going to Blackpool and Blackburn. Highly rated by his peers (as is Jackett), but hasn't yet shown why.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:48

Absolutely gutted.
    Hopefully we get a good replacement, We only needed a new striker not a new manager !

• May 7, 2013 at 11:51

I hope gallen goes with him . . Its a shock but he is lucky he had jb backing him or he would have been sacked months ago . . Perhaps he wasn't ' driven out ' by the ' c*nts ' ' morons ' and ' boo boys ' and has something better lined up . . Shame he has gone but I think people were running out of patience with him and some of the s*** he brought in

• May 7, 2013 at 12:03

Gutted best manager we've ever had bar none

• May 7, 2013 at 12:11

Bar one berm.
      George graham was a better manager

• May 7, 2013 at 16:41

@lukesmithmfc: Have to disagree on that one Luke. He took us up but the following season he ruined the side. Anyone that asked for better terms was fcuked off out of it. I remember Dean Neal who was one of our better players at the time getting sh1t on.
        I may be wrong it was a long time ago but its just bits that have stuck in my mind.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:08

Just seen Mourinhio in an estate agents in Lewisham high street.

• May 7, 2013 at 13:36

@Swanny: that just made me smile 🙂

• May 7, 2013 at 12:09

Gutted he has gone, but have to look ahead and hope we get a manager in who has the determination and passion for our club. I do think it's for the best. He seemed to have run out of ideas, the meeting today probably ended up with no funds being offered, and that was the final straw. Regardless of who we get, I'll be there to support the team and hope that our home form improves on that of this year. COYL.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:09

Sad day, we all like the bloke but I can see why he's going. We've been abysmally poor, we just needed one win from the last five to ensure safety and we couldn't manage it. This way we can part on very friendly terms and thank Kenny for some great memories, it would have been horrible to see us stranded at 24th in November and the whole ground turning on him. Thanks Kenny, now it's all eyes on Berylson who will seldom have a bigger call to make...

• May 7, 2013 at 12:11

That's a massive blow for us & I thank KJ for all his efforts over the years & for leaving straight after the end of season to allow enough time for a new man to found and not 10 or 20 games into next season. The names on the list above do not inspire me & just wondering whether Neil Harris will apply - I sincerely hope he does.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:16

I'm sad to see Kenny go - he seemed like a genuinely decent bloke and we're in a much better place than when he took over. Five years is a long time as manager nowadays and he seemed to understand the fans like no-one else since Docherty or Graham.

But whether he actually felt he'd taken us as far as he could or perhaps if there wasn't enough ambition from the board, it's probably the right time for him to move on. The challenge for the club now is to get someone as good, if not better than Kenny, freshen up the team and have a better league campaign next season - especially at home.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:18

Well done the boo boys - KJ was more improtant to us than any player - this is a disaster for Millwall!!

• May 7, 2013 at 15:48

@TheBermondseyBomber: we will receive from this, but agree that it feel to early for him to say he can't take us further.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:23

Big thank you kenny we have had our ups and downs and you always managed to keep us up good luck with your next club.
    You watch now we will lose shittu,lowry,henry,taylor and forde god help us next season.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:27

Hope it don't start our best players wanting out, j b needs to invest or we are finished.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:30

You've all suggested it and I will say it, the shenanigans at Wembley hurt and embarrassed KJ. Kenny, you walk away with your head held very high. You have our utmost respect and you will always be welcome at the den.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:41

Just reading through potential names on - http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/millwall - and must say, some of those prospects feel me with dread. I'd rather give the job to Harris over some journeyman who will come and go in no time at all. Although I wouldn't mind Dyche from the list there, but we'd never get him anyway.

Who would everyone like to see get the job?

• May 7, 2013 at 12:45

This was on the cards - Jacketts's silence after the Derby game was deafening.

• May 7, 2013 at 12:47

Make no bones about it we are in the s*** big time and we will struggle to get a decent replacement in. Who will want this job with no money available and will JB allow the new man be able to bring his own people in? I hope so cause that's another area that needs changing.

• May 7, 2013 at 20:50

I agree. No money available. It will be interesting. And as much as I don't like him, Neil Warnick is used to dealing with no dough. Owen coyle is a reasonable shout, but the special one will be available soon. Inthinknwe can beat Chelsea to his signature!!
      Alan the anorak might be a reasonable move as whenever he got money he fcuked up anyway!!

• May 7, 2013 at 13:05

Get warnock iin ASAP.

• May 7, 2013 at 13:22

Does this NGuessan still has a chance at the club PMSL.

• May 7, 2013 at 13:22

Does this mean N'Guessan still has a chance at the club PMSL.

• May 7, 2013 at 13:41

Will Taylor and Shittu sign a new contract now KJ has gone, AA said Millwall is in no rush to get a new Manager that means Gallen will step up.

• May 7, 2013 at 13:44

If Leicester don't go up I'm gonna av a bet they get jackett

• May 7, 2013 at 13:47

He'll go to Wolves.

• May 7, 2013 at 13:48

He'll go to Wolves. And if Brentford don't make it we should have a look at Uwe Rossler.

• May 7, 2013 at 14:08

@Swanny: Jackett to Wolves is a good bet. Get your money on. Not too sure about Rosler, but rather him than Warnock or (FFS) John Gregory.

• May 7, 2013 at 14:17

@Swanny: Spot on Swanny.

• May 7, 2013 at 14:05

Shocked to read this. Despite the dip in form since the turn of the year, I still had faith that Jackett would be able to refresh the squad and improve our performances next season. It seems that he didn't share that belief. In any case, I'd like to thank him for the memories: a promotion, four seasons in the Championship and an FA Cup semi-final. Not many have managed that over the years.

Looking to the future, if the board want to move the club on, the next manager has to be appointed with the long-term in mind. No has-beens like some of those suggested in the comments above. There is a major effort to improve standards off the field - re-establishing and upgrading the Academy, investing in training and medical facilities, etc. - and there are some decent players around whom to build a side (I'm thinking Forde, Lowry, Trotter, Chris Taylor, Henry). Jackett's longevity indicates a supportive and non-interfering board. And, most important of all, we're still a Championship club. All of which makes us a relatively attractive prospect for an up-and-coming coach.

Like most, I'm concerned that this could set us back. But, with my positive, pre-season cap on, Jackett and Berylson have built a solid foundation. There's no reason why the next manager can't take us further.

• May 7, 2013 at 14:15

KJ had lost his way, and he'd lost the team as well. He was like a rabbit frozen in the headlights. His loan signings this year where terrible. His tactics where terrible and we got found out by just about every team that played us this year ........ He's done the right and honourable thing and there is no shame in that, he said himself he had gone stale and that's true we need someone to freshen it all up. This club has been here for 128 years 5 and a half years of that with KJ .... Good luck Kenny good luck Millwall.

• May 7, 2013 at 14:39

Not particularly inspired by any of the names mentioned in the article or in the comments so far.
    Taking up the theme of young, up-and-coming types mentioned in my previous comment, those names that meet that description leave a lot to be desired.

Karl Robinson: very highly rated by the media, but McDons have gone backwards since he took over.
    Eddie Howe: seemingly gets a nosebleed if he goes any further north than Winchester; and, more seriously, has a lot of money to spend and god-like status at Bournemouth.
    Dean Saunders: has relegated two clubs from the Championship in successive seasons, and his dealings with Willie McKay make me very sceptical.
    Owen Coyle: the media like him because his teams play pretty football, but, under him, Burnley and Bolton had no backbone. The exact opposite of what Millwall should be about.
    Sean Dyche: knows the club well, is respected by the fans, and seems to know how to build a solid Championship team. However, he has been at Turf Moor for less than a season, so there's next to no chance of him leaving.

• May 7, 2013 at 15:46

@stanley: Dyche would be perfect but i agree that he would have no reason to leave Burnley unless the bad weather is ruining his ginger tan

• May 7, 2013 at 14:40

KJ Left Swansea in a much better position than they were previously and look where they are now! He said that he needed to go cos he could not take the club further forward and was replaced by Roberto Martínez who states that KJ laid the foundations for the club as it is today. I hope that KJ's successor also realises and improves upon the foundations that KJ has put into the Den.

• May 7, 2013 at 14:41

Just popped down the Den to pick up my millwall playing cards for my poker night next weekend, and I see Etienne Veveer coming out the Millwall cafe with a bacon and egg sub. Now, either this means his in talks with us or he has heard about the lovely scotch eggs they do in there.
    Think it will be a good shout to appoint maybe an old face who knows the club, like Christophe kinet who has been running his nephews Sunday side in France, so he must know a bit. Or even someone like the bloke who works behind the kiosk in dockers upper, he always has a chat at half time, seems he knows a bit and has worked at the club for a while he also got to the world cup final with Bolivia on championship manager.
    Just don't know where we're gonna go from here. Maybe we should all get ready for a weekend in convey island. Ambler needs to look hard at the situation and maybe give us a bit more passion. Change our kit colour to red, that works as proven.
    One Kenny Jackett

• May 7, 2013 at 15:36

I for one am absolutely gutted by this news, and really think this could be a massive turning point for our club. I'm am a KJ supporter and thought that he would be here for the long term. I don't believe that he finished the job that he started, and think that he was the manager to push us forward.
    I cannot see where the next manager is coming from and who it could be. Hopefully someone with passion and pride for the club, that can get us as supporters.
    I really do wish KJ all the best for the future, our loss is someone else's gain!! I have the utmost respect towards KJ for all that he done at the club, for building a foundation and stabilising the club when we all felt we had lost our way.
    But in the bright side, hopefully this is the start if something new and exciting... who knows what it will bring?

• May 7, 2013 at 15:43

@glenbur: totally agree but i never heard of KJ before his appointment so who knows what other candidates might turn up?

• May 7, 2013 at 15:56

@glyngo: If anyone knows the email to send in my cv please let me know... There would be passion spilling out of this club

• May 7, 2013 at 20:56

I can't disagree with anything said here but in these days when security in the job is all important, why not stay where u r safe? Don't make much sense to me.

• May 7, 2013 at 16:00

I think guardiola jumped at the Bayern job way too soon, he must be kicking himself.

• May 7, 2013 at 16:07

I THINK WE SHOULD ALL LOOK FORWARD , REWIND TO BEFORE KJ TOOK OVER WHERE WAS, HE DOING YOUTH FOOTBALL FOR MC , JB PICKED HIM OUT NOBODYPUT HIS NAME IN HAT THEN , HE WAS GREAT FOR US WEMBLEY AND ALL THAT , BUT HE HAS NEVER MORRISON , HE WILL GO TO WOLVES BY END OF WEEK I THINK ITS A DONE DEAL , I JUST HOPE JB MAKES THE RIGHT CHOICE WE ARE STILL MILLWALL ONE OF THE MOST COVERED CLUBS IN THE NEWS AND MEDIA , I THINK WE WILL HAVE NO SHORTAGE OF MANAGERS WANTING TO TAKE OVER ,ITS A NEW DAWN AND I THINK WE SHOULD BACK THE NEW MAN , BOTH KJ AND US NEEDED SOMETHING NEW , OUR HOME FORM HAS BEEN SHOCKING FOR 2 SEASONS NOW , WE HAVE A GREAT CHAIRMAN WHO WILL BACK THE NEW MAN LIKE HE BACKED KJ , I THINK WE WILL BE OK , NO SMOKE WITHOUT FIRE KJ QUITS , SAUNDERS GET THE BOOT .

• May 7, 2013 at 16:08

SORRY I MEAN HE NEVER REPLACED MORRISON

• May 7, 2013 at 16:17

A very dignified man on and of the field,hope he gets the chance to manage a big club. Problem we have now is whoever we get in will not know much about the squad so does that mean that a lot of the dead
    wood get a second chance ? This could take us back to square one....

• May 7, 2013 at 17:23

When I heard of the resignation and Saunders' sacking my first thoughts were Wolves, but I really think this is just a coincidence. I can't see Jackett walking away from the supportive relationships he has at the Den to work for an absolute lunatic chairman at Wolves in a lower league

• May 7, 2013 at 17:55

Very sad to see Kenny go, but nothing stays the same forever and maybe now was a good time for a change. I really hope we are able to build on what he has done.
    There's only one Kenny Jackett, one Kenny Jackett...........

• May 7, 2013 at 18:10

I'm sorry but I refuse to accept that the fans drove him out. Sure I said I wanted him gone but that was online. As long as he was in charge, I would support him at the den. From where I sat, I've never heard anyone shouting"Jackett out". I think he simply got fed up of the efforts of the players and wanted to improve the squad but wasn't offered the cash he thought he needed. Good luck KJ you have been great, Warnock for me.

• May 7, 2013 at 19:29

Thanks KJ good luck now we must look to the future and get on with it

COYL

• May 7, 2013 at 23:49

Shocked and gutted but not surprised. Tactics were sometimes wrong, players out of position, very bad loan signings and the players were not responding, The players should take a long hard look at themselves they have been sh1t since Xmas, Berylson has to take some of the blame, what happened to the 1.5 million that we bid for wood? Where was the plan B, getting sh1t like Hulse and Tyson was an absolute disgrace and as KJ boss maybe should have stepped in and said here you go Kenny go and find a Goal scorer for a Million, instead I believe KJ was left high and dry with washed up players . Hope the new guy will be given some cash to inject new blood but hopefully keep, sh 1ttu,Lowry, Forde, Henry, Taylor,Dunne,beavers, Keogh, trotter ( well let's see if he can get himself fired up if not then fu-k him off). Kenny thank you for the great times, you are a gent and I just hope you leaving does not come back to bite us

• May 8, 2013 at 14:49

All the best Kenny. Best and most stable 5/6 years at the club I have supported all my long life. True gent and a very respectable CV you take with you. Shame we had to part company as I thought the club said you'd be here next season whatever happens. However it's done and I wish you well, thankyou for great memories and trips to Wembley, not many tiny clubs get there as much as we did with you.

• May 8, 2013 at 19:13

Gutted but wish Kenny well for the future, Wolves maybe?
    42% win ratio says it all really, brilliant manager and a brilliant man.
    In Kenny We Trusted.

• May 8, 2013 at 21:04

This is the 100th comment.