Trotter insists Millwall deserved to stay up with 56 points

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

LIAM Trotter had "mixed emotions" after Millwall escaped relegation on the final day of the season despite their 1-0 defeat to Derby County.

The Lions were spared the dreaded drop to League One by Crystal Palace's win over Peterborough and a 2-2 draw between Barnsley and Huddersfield Town on Saturday.

But Trotter believes Millwall did enough to warrant another year in the Championship despite their poor run of form since the turn of the year.

"We have got mixed emotions," he said. "We didn't want to rely on anyone else for us to stay up but that's the way it's turned out. We got 56 points so I think we deserved to stay up.

"We've had a tough run with 11 games in just over 30 days, which has been very difficult. We can be happy we came through that and stayed in the league. We'll be looking to kick on next season.

"I wouldn't say I am relieved that the season's over because I like playing football, but we are happy to get to the end. An FA Cup semi-final and 56 points is a good season.

"The league was very tight this year – and nobody else had to contend with what we did over the last month, so we've got to be happy with that.

"I think most fans would have taken staying up and getting to Wembley. Maybe we'd have stayed up comfortably without the cup run but the chances are we wouldn't have made the play-offs anyway.

"I'm happy with the way things turned out."

Trotter missed the majority of the Lions' run in through injury and admitted it had been frustrating watching his teammates struggle to pick up points from the sidelines.

"It's been disappointing," he said. "I always want to play and be involved. It's worse when you don't really know exactly what the injury is or why it's giving you problems.

"It was fine against Derby. My knee isn't 100 per cent but I was able to come through 90 minutes."

29 thoughts on “Trotter insists Millwall deserved to stay up with 56 points

• May 6, 2013 at 09:18

Forde,dunne,shittu,beevers,lowry,henry,abdou,chaplo,w,c.taylor,wells(from bradford),wilkinson

• May 6, 2013 at 09:29

Maybe you should pull your finger out and start showing you care trotts oh, it doesn't matter now does it?

• May 6, 2013 at 10:02

Asif you care!! Your off to qpr anyway

• May 6, 2013 at 10:58

Here is a player that has class, ability, scores and creates goals, is clearly popular in the squad and yet you all s*** him off.

If you lot keep slagging him off, he probably will go elsewhere, and then you'll all moan that he hasn't got any loyalty! Where is YOUR loyalty? Do you not remember Trotter's scoring record at the beginning of the season? All from midfield! He has scored more than most of the strikers that we have had this season and he creates just as much as well. He's had a frustrating second half to the season - he lost some form, got dropped, then got injured as he tried to get back. However, he played through that injury for us a couple of times because he cares - Hendo didn't do us the same courtesy.

So what if he 'looks lethargic'? Look at the games we played with Abdou & St Ledger in midfield - those two throw themselves about and crash into tackles left right and center - were we any better off because of it? No - we created nothing and scored nothing. Judge a man by his results, not by his methods.

We had a taster of life without Trotter at the end of this season which just so happened to coincide with the worst run with the fewest goals scored we have had in years. This is a serious case of 'you don't know what you've got til its gone'. I hope you stay Liam, and I hope you come back stronger and better than ever next year. COYL.

• May 6, 2013 at 11:31

I ain't usually one to argue but I will this time.
      I have been enough games this season to warrant a good or bad opinion about every player we've used this season so me having a negative opinion towards any of em is justified.
      No one is saying trotts is s***, his poor form started at the turn of the yr which coincided with our bad run - he was in the team - not when he wasn't playing. He got dropped cause he was playing s*** not cause he was injured.
      Jimmi has never been a creative midfielder so that argument is non existent, but the man puts 100% in every shift and that is all we ask, if you haven't bags of skill at least show you give a s***. When trotter is on song then he looks a million dollars but the second half of this season he looked more like a million Italian lira.
      I don't wish him gone I just wish him back to normal but if he's lost his mojo then the minimum requirement is break your b***** for your mates and the boys in the stands who pay your wages.

• May 6, 2013 at 11:44

For the record
        This season is the first for a very long time I remember us - fans - letting players know how we feel and the manager actually doing something about it. Trotter, hulse and n'guessan IMO have shown a huge lack of respect for their team mates fans and management at certain times they've played this season cause of their performances and I for one was over the moon KJ finally acted after
        we -fans - vented our frustration towards them. Hulse should have been dropped at beggining of April trotter should have been dropped in February so he could have got his head together and n'guessan should never have been at the club to get a chance to come on.

• May 6, 2013 at 11:52

I am also not someone that calls for sackings or players to be dropped, but Trotter was a shadow of his former self this season. He seemed to lose every 50/50 challenge and never really looked up with the pace of the game. Truth is though, we need him. If we are going to have Jimmy in the tem we also need someone that Jimmy can offload the ball to so that they can pass the ball around and make attacking moves. Jimmy, for all his effort, is a terrible passer and if he does not have a decent partner playing along side him the team performance suffers. Jimmy is a luxury we can only afford when we have a player like Trotter (On-form) or Wright playing with him. @lukesmithmfc:

• May 6, 2013 at 12:13

@lukesmithmfc: I agree with you on most points, but if you just want to see players giving 100% - you can see that at Sunday league or anywhere else. You need a balance of work rate AND quality. Abdou is a crowd pleaser for the effort he puts in, but he can also be incredibly naive and get drawn out of position chasing the ball exposing his CM partner and the back four.

Like I said, we have had Abdou and St Ledger putting in 110% in games where we just did not create a single chance. You saying "Jimmy isn't a creative midfielder, so that argument is non-existent" could be countered by me saying Trotter has never been a defensive midfielder, so asking him to hound players simply isn't what he is built for. The difference between teams in our position and those pushing for promotion are players like Trotter who can change a game with a bit of quality.

He did lose form and KJ's decision to drop him was justified - no arguments. However, I don't think it is fair at all to put him in the same category as DNG and Hulse. Those two clearly didn't want to be here. They were both playing in their favoured positions and failing to do the basics. We also know Trotter has had an ongoing knee problem for a while and that he has played out on the left and in several other unfamiliar positions. Remember he also had the captains armband taken away from him around Christmas, which seemed poorly handled from my point of view (even though Shittu was clearly a deserving captain). That couldn't have done much good to his confidence.

All I'm asking is for the people continually slagging him off to cut it out and give him a clean slate. Along with Henry, he is a rare piece of class in our squad.

• May 6, 2013 at 13:45

My point was on trotter not jimmi, jimmi was an example of someone who hasn't trotters skill but makes up for it with effort. Effort is something all of us has in us. A professional footballers minimum requirement is to put effort in. Most skilful players who drop form will at least put some effort in for the good of the team which trotter failed to do, if he did then we would not be having this discussion. As I said I don't want him gone I just want him to find his mojo.
            I can't remember trotter playing on the left or any other position except in the middle or just behind the striker. He's our best player but needs to put some effort in when things aren't going his way.
            All about effort I guess. Lol

• May 6, 2013 at 12:40

We do Liam.

You don't.

• May 6, 2013 at 14:12

We would of won a lot more if we wasn't playing with 10 men Trotter in the last part of the season were was you, don't think you will be mist is my honest opinion good luck with Harry.

• May 6, 2013 at 15:02

Trotter hasn't been the player we know and want him to be because he doesn't have the strikers he likes to play with. It all started when Morison left. He plays to feed off the strikers but we haven't been playing well up front. Chris Wood is a one man team and Trotter clearly despised Hendo for becoming the No.1 penalty taker. I feel a bit of sympathy for Liam, he's generated a lot of interest from other clubs but has nothing to show for it. I personally believe he's better off at another club. Even if we sign two top drawer strikers, he may never be the player we want him to be!

• May 6, 2013 at 16:12

Do apologise for the spelling of missed not mist, still half a kip. Trotts won't be missed in my humble oppinion.

• May 6, 2013 at 16:54

I think all the midfield can go apart from hooray, taylor and feeney. Sort out the middle of midfield add a extra striker and hopefully we can be laughing

• May 6, 2013 at 17:18

I think it was a good season the championship is a hard league and to get to wembley I would have taken that after the first game ! I believe that trotters positions isn't a hard working central midfield , he should be playing behind a goal scorer that can win balls in the air! Like he did when we had Morison , he was scoring we was winning and his price Tag and reputation was going up every game !

• May 6, 2013 at 18:03

Ask yourselves this,would you prefer to keep our current midfield OR sell trotter and bring in two or three new players??? It's a no brainier to me.

• May 7, 2013 at 00:03

@the verminhater: The same way we replaced Morison with 2-3 strikers? No thanks - I'd rather keep him and bring in some competition.

• May 7, 2013 at 00:13

@StanLDN:

Competition for a non performing player? Why not start in league 2?

• May 6, 2013 at 18:42

I think trotter is a quality player and he just had a bad season.

• May 6, 2013 at 18:44

Trotter, if you want to play at a higher standard you have got to work for it and not just swan around the pitch idling your time with the least amount of effort. The reason Ipswich got rid of you was that you are lazy and will never reach your full potential.

• May 7, 2013 at 08:38

Spot on there.

• May 7, 2013 at 10:10

@Barnaby Bill: 'The reason Ipswich got rid of you was that you are lazy and will never reach your full potential.' - You've spoken to George Burley & Willie Donachie have you? Where have you got that cobblers from? Trotter is a quality player whose strength is definitely attacking and not defending. If he loses out on a couple of 50/50's it doesn't matter as much as if Abdou does because Jimmy needs to win them. Play by your strengths Trotter, have a summer off and come back better next year

• May 6, 2013 at 18:47

First of all, I think we all need to be a bit more realistic. The Trotter of old was a valuable asset to the club and was probably worth the £2m that was mentioned in the papers etc. However due to whatever reasons the second half of the season hasn't been good enough and Trotter has been very lazy and ineffective 90% of the time and what he is worth now probably wouldn't do the club any favours whatsoever. If someone pays anywhere near the £2m figure for him based on the last 5 months need their head's testing.
    As mentioned earlier, I think Trotter is missing the players he has had around him in previous years, Wood, Henderson, Morison etc and that has resulted in a lack of end product from him and I think the fans do have a little bit more expectation from him to perform and he is an easy target to 's*** off' at times. I'm not making excuses for him because he hasn't been good enough but if we get the right players in the 'Trotter of old' would finally have some of the pressure off of him and possibly a bit more confidence in his team mates (the strikers).
    There's an old saying 'be careful what you wish for' and how gutted would we all be if Trotter did move on and manage to refind the form we all know he has.

• May 6, 2013 at 21:11

Does anyone else think James Wallace from tranmere would be a great signing

• May 6, 2013 at 21:45

So we keep Kenny ... But we ditch Trotter .... Not so sure you lot know whats what......... I hope he signs on for anther couple of years . If KJ can do better so can Trotter

• May 7, 2013 at 04:31

On another note well done to Tony Craig last night tucking away his penalty! Still got some of that 'Wall steel son. Good luck to you in the final!

• May 7, 2013 at 04:39

Heard a rumour Hulse might be re-uniting with Crew in the summer! F*** me Dario Gradi must be having nightmares!
    At least that means he wont be coming to us!

• May 7, 2013 at 09:53

Just been on main site, have a look at the
    Player of the yr - night to remember
    Article. Not a bad read, and hats off to KJ and JB. When finished judge the whole article rather than pick little bits out of it.
    Sounds like a busy summer ahead. And not just on the player front.