Jackett wants Millwall to determine their fate on final day

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

KENNY Jackett does not want Millwall to be relying on other results when they bid to seal their Championship status against Derby County on the final day of the season.

And whilst that looks an extremely unlikely set of results, with bookmakers offering odds of 46/1 for them to come in, Jackett would rather his side got the job done themselves at Pride Park.

Jackett told NewsAtDen: "It's all about ourselves – how we play and our performance. We're looking for a winning formula and a performance that can win the game. Our away record has been good.

"We haven't been out of games at all, our performances away have been fine and we need another big one now. It is in our hands and we want to take responsibility.

"Whilst we're looking at what happens around the country, our build-up inside the club must be on doing well at Derby and finishing the season off strongly.

"If we do well, win and stay up, that will have been down to us and you always want it to be that way rather than relying on other results to go for you. I don't want us to worry about other games."

Jackett hinted that Crystal Palace loanee Jermaine Easter, who was ineligible to face his parent club in midweek, could be named in his startling line-up to face Nigel Clough's side.

"Goalscoring has been a problem but we all have to take responsibilty for that and we have to give our forwards service that they can thrive on," Jackett said.

"We have one game to turn that around. It's a game that means a hell of a lot to the club. Jermaine's an experienced player with a goalscoring record. We definitely have to consider him."

Liam Trotter returned from a knee injury against the Eagles as a second-half substitute and may be in contention to play from the first whistle.

"We will assess Liam over the next couple of days but, yes, there is a chance [he could start]," Jackett said. "We hope he's fit and available. He trained on Thursday and we'll see how he feels.

"Getting the knee going, it cooling down and then stiffening up at half-time could be a problem for us. You need to keep it going with adrenaline. But it has improved slightly.

"There is a possibility of him playing but we will be constantly reviewing the situation. James Henry's hamstring injury will definitely rule him out of this one."

32 thoughts on “Jackett wants Millwall to determine their fate on final day

• May 3, 2013 at 09:10

46/1? might lump a tenner on to sour the blow. Dont think it will happen though, ticket bought and looking forward to this game, feels kind of the same way that Pompy away did last season... COME ON MILLWALL!

• May 3, 2013 at 09:34

I think Jackett should keep his North shut and stop spouting this s***. We've been hearing these rallying cries for half the season and we've done f*ck all about it, its becoming meaningless. If we'd have done this 4, 6, 10 games ago, we wouldn't be biting our f****** fingernails on the last day of the season. 'ANGRY' !

• May 3, 2013 at 09:46

Even odds of 146/1 you'll never catch me betting against my wall, never done it never will, even if its a no brainer, I'd rather keep me tenner. its not a thing to do.
    Well it all comes down to this last game, what a s*** nail biting end to the season. Never a dull moment with us is there? It will take a huge slice of misfortune for us to go down but being millwall there's a big possibility. Do we deserve it? Maybe as all the teams bellow us we've only beaten BC at home. And I've only watched us so I can't say if the others are worse than us, come 14.30 tomorrow we'll know our fate. Either way a good clear out is needed but I'll save that opinion for after tomorrow's game. For now it looks like we'll have 1200 wall up at pride park. Come on wall lets get the job done so we can enjoy the summer and shut the wally's and Nigel's up.

• May 3, 2013 at 15:31

@lukesmithmfc: We'll only deserve relegation if we are in the bottom three after 46 games. Whoever finishes below us is worse than us over those 46 games regardless of how we have done in 2013.

• May 3, 2013 at 17:33

See your point lion but watching us as much as I have this season I think that maybe we deserve it we're p*** poor mate. I hear what your saying and did realise that when writing the post but f*** me we're clueless. You expect a little run when nothing goes your way and a few bellow par performances, but I honestly cannot remember when we played really well and won. Maybe Leicester away. Lion you need to see it to believe it, it's more than wood and bad luck with injuries and suspensions
        We can't pass to each other on the floor from two yrds unless we're going backwards. Seriously mate there's no football ethics at all, I don't care about the other teams around us, we're worse than you can ever imagine. It breaks my heart lion but we don't deserve to stay up and the bigger truth is, we can't afford to stay up. I don't believe for one minute that JB will bank roll our club to maintain or improve our championship status. So many chairmen have promised previous managers money to spend and nothing ever materialised and I can't see it changing now. That's the wall I know and that's what we do, or at least that's what our chairmen do.
        I hope I'm proved wrong lion and I hope your jumping all over my post tomorrow cause that'll mean we have another season in this division with money to spend.

• May 3, 2013 at 19:08

@lukesmithmfc: That's what I've said in a previous post Luke, last November JB said he's investing £8.5m in club over the next three years. It would be madness for him to say how much of that is for new players as that would see every transfer fee go up for any player we were in for. What I'd like is for JB to be up front with KJ re our immediate ambition in a way that is visible to the fans. That way we could all manage expectations and get behind the team and club, provided the level of performance and player commitment are there. If it's not then KJ is on borrowed time. My stat head says we can't win tomorrow and a draw is going to be tough enough but I've been saying since early March that we won't go down and although I never dreamed it would go to the last day I'm quietly confident we've already done enough. The real pressure is on Barnsley and Peterboro, they have it all to do and Huddersfield should be a shorter price than us to go down because they are playing Barnsley. COYL

• May 3, 2013 at 19:31

Well, I've always said it's going to go to the last game but for some reason that I do not fully comprehend, I think we'll be ok tomorrow.
            Of the £8.5 million that is promised, I can't see a lot going on players. According to Ambler we're going to expand the capacity at the Den. Who is going to occupy these seats hasn't been explained. Millwall also operate at a loss so it's like plugging a seive. Berylson, from what I understand, lends Millwall money rather than donating it. There's also an interest in the surrounding land which he has a vested interest in which is currently under discussion as to its use. The idea, from an investors viewpoint, is that it's a good deal. Land is expensive and is sellable. More housing equals more Millwall supporters. Personally, if I had to move elsewhere, I wouldn't change my allegience but a certain percentage, through the passage of time, would, if you beieve in such things. Without Berylson we'd be dead. No question about it. But, rich people get richer by having sound business sense.@lion.ie:

• May 3, 2013 at 20:07

Berylson only puts money into the club by buying shares, which covers the losses and gives a little bit towards running costs and the training ground upgrade.
            My hope is this
            KJ believed we'd stay up by the skin of our teath - he's said time and again about the points total being high this season - so deliberately held back the funds we had available for wood transfer fee and wages - the loans were not as expensive as a lot of people have made out, two of em went back injured, and the rest baring smith were a percentage of their full salary - so he can put that together with the funds he'll get this summer in the knowledge that financial fare play comes in this summer. If this is the case then that's great management from top to bottom of the club, very risky I hear you say, but to be successful you have to first suffer loss and then take the necessary risks that move you up the ladder.
            What ever the weather we all agree that this summer up or down things need to change, I for one can't watch too much more of this s****, I just refuse to chuck money at something as undeserving as this so called team, I have murders going as it is but at least when I come home happy it shuts her up indoors for another couple days. But saying that I'd rather this s**** in this division than league one. I'm hoping we're staying up but I've long prepared for the worse.

• May 3, 2013 at 11:34

'The Lions will be relegated to League One if they lose to the Rams, Peterborough and Barnsley win and Sheffield Wednesday avoid defeat at home to Middlesbrough.
    And whilst that looks an extremely unlikely set of results....'

I sure the F.A will be doing everything they can to make sure we get relegated, so keep an eye out for dodgy refereeing decisions in all of the above games!
    Still can't quite believe we've left it until the last game of the season to guarentee our survival.
    Come on you lions.....

• May 3, 2013 at 11:51

Come off it syd, you should know better than that. It's millwall
      "That's what we do"

• May 3, 2013 at 12:57

We will not score - in fact we'll probably lose Saturday. We wouldn't have scored against a 10-man Palace on Tuesday so I'm more than relieved Zaha stayed on the pitch - the grim truth is that we need him and his Palace side to do the business against Peterborough. A sad state of affairs when you have to rely on other teams to keep you up on the last day.

• May 3, 2013 at 14:39

Just looked at dcfc site. Only lost 4 at home and score plenty of goals. They're looking for a top half finish. A win is a tough ask but we're defending well, I'm thinking a 0-0 is on the cards.

• May 3, 2013 at 14:41

Is Tyson eligible for this one? I haven't heard anything yet to the contrary.

• May 3, 2013 at 15:11

Can't see us scoring a goal, I'm expecting another 0-0.

• May 3, 2013 at 15:12

God I hope so too! He is what we have been missing. Headlines read....'Tyson scores hat trick to keep Millwall up and turns out to be another Messi and not a complete cock after all'.

• May 3, 2013 at 15:33

@Marshlion: Unlikely on all counts, just save 'Tyson' 'Complete' and 'Cock' for your headline. lol

• May 3, 2013 at 15:50

Tyson a knockout as Lions devour Rams...

I'm here all week...

• May 3, 2013 at 15:15

So kj wants us to determine our own fate on the final day!!

Well I've been waiting since about late February, because its been in the cards and in our own hands since about then!

• May 3, 2013 at 15:56

at least kj can give tyson a lift home to derby ,
    palace will stuff pb,
    hudderfield will draw we stay up, sign harry kane in the summer ,

• May 3, 2013 at 17:46

We stay up wolves and pu go down hull stay in division
    We sign Ohara chaplow Kane Ebanks Blake and Boyd happy days lets av it.
    Fcuking easy is this nanager lark.
    F*** KJ off I'm your man. ; )

• May 3, 2013 at 18:58

What about Doyle? Would you go for him?

• May 3, 2013 at 19:23

@Swanny: Doubt we could afford him Swanny. I have a real gut feeling about the young Chelsea lad Patrick Bamford. Forest tried to stop him going to Chelsea by offering him the best youth package they ever put on the table. He's been on loan at MK Dons and a season on loan in the Championship would be the next step for him, a very similar profile to Harry Kane. Look him up on You Tube. Whether we could get him for a year is another story....

• May 3, 2013 at 20:16

Luke, Can't agree on that me old son.
    The loans may well have not cost us financially but they've certainly mucked us up and that's why we're down to the last game. Signing Wood was a no-brainer. But, we left it too late and Pearson moved in. Like most people that do that to Millwall, they end up on the dole. Pearson's going to be there soon enough have no fear.
    The training ground was 'sold' and now we rent it back yes?
    I really cannot believe that Jackett and the Millwall management have being playing it like a chess game. Simple truth is that the second half of the season has been a royal muck up. I really hope we stay up. I really hope that lessons have been learnt.

• May 3, 2013 at 21:42

Nick that's exactly why I said
      "My hope is this".
      Hope nick that's all mate cause its not a reality.
      I must say I have disagreed with almost every post I've read on chris wood.
      Nick are you old enough to remember us signing Darren huckerby on loan?

• May 3, 2013 at 21:49

Oh Yeah. And, Chris 'the lip' from Leatherhead. remember him? If not, I'm older than you.
        Huckerby, was the best Millwall forward I'd seen in a long time. I remember hearing 'We've offered more than for him than we have ever offered for anyone'. We didn't get him. Sound familiar?
        @lukesmithmfc:

• May 3, 2013 at 22:04

So you'll agree then that it was never a no brainer. I mention huckerby cause that was the first loan we had that was a genuine no brainer then along came Coventry and pipped us at the last minute. Ok it's a different set up now but for the fans who remember it they should never have got all worked up about it. Kevin Davis and Kerry Dixon are others. My point about wood is that he was never ours and said things he should have been advised against saying, even KJ should have been more professional about it, I personally did not believe it and was as gutted as everyone else but I was more gutted that I let myself get caught up in the transfer s*** in January, I listened to what KJ and the board had to say about the direction there going in and like a mug I believed em, in the end it was no different to every transfer window I can remember, it's always disappointing where millwall are concerned. I only hope they learn to keep their mouths shut this time as KJ is pretty discreet about his targets.

• May 3, 2013 at 22:07

I've got blue blood Luke but the truth is that Millwall, over a full season will usually let you down.
            I don't like saying it. I don't like thinking it. But undeniably, it's the truth.@lukesmithmfc:

• May 3, 2013 at 22:26

Haha I was only having this conversation the other day nick.
            That's what we really do mate.
            I feel guilty when I tell people that - millwall people that is ; ) -
            We have been really spoilt since 99 every couple yrs something's happened either finals promotions playoffs relegations we've had the lot and the youngsters who go down the den who were born early nineties know no different I think that's where the expectancy comes from and the negativity towards KJ and JB when the s*** hits the fan, they want success every yr but there's no realism for what where who we are and what we're up against. Those old enough this is just another season in the life and times of millwall, same old same old, a little flirt with the big boys but no b***** when it matters. Wouldn't want it any other way

• May 3, 2013 at 21:51

And......Goddard is still the record at 800k. How long ago was that?
    NOT 'that's what we do' BUT
    'That's where we are'.

• May 3, 2013 at 22:08

Mcquoid would have been as expensive as Goddard after appearances and a couple yrs. would like to know the full details of his and Malone's transfer

• May 3, 2013 at 22:14

You'll have a long wait.
        Gone are the days when all that was revealed. The problem is that the selling club inflate the figure and the buying club dilute it. All down to politics.
        As for 'extras' well that's usually hidden as well.
        The only way to find that out is to inspect the yearly accounts. I still don't know how much we actually sold Morison for as it's hidden amongst other 'outs'.
        @lukesmithmfc: